Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:59:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Festivals 2022

Started by homesickalien, May 06, 2022, 01:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

The 1st Glasto, The Kinks pulled out at the last minute replaced by Tyrannosaurus Rex

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/Tb7PtcjBRZb3MjBqFL6rvS/6-surprising-facts-about-the-first-ever-glastonbury

dmillburn

Quote from: Pranet on June 22, 2022, 09:52:06 AMWhen I went I was always praying I wouldn't be one of those people pitching their tent right next to a toilet or on a vertical slope.

I made that mistake about 20 years ago, somehow managing to combine both a slope with proximity to the toilets in the only space we could find after arriving really late on the Friday, and it was fucking awful. It was in the days when they still had rows of portaloos rather than the longdrops, and the constant thud of the doors opening and slamming 24/7 for 4 days nearly drove me insane. Luckily in recent years we've always had friends stupid/kind enough to queue overnight for Wednesday and take our tent with them too, to bag a decent spot. 

No Glastonbury for us this year but we're off to Unorthodox Paradox in Anglesea tomorrow as HAQ123 are playing. Lovely chilled little festival 10 minutes from the beach with some great acts playing, should hopefully be a right doss.

I've only got the two Supers (Sonic and Normal) booked so far in terms of other festivals. Supernormal will be a different vibe this year as only a handful of our crew could get tickets thanks to it selling out in about a minute, where as usually there's loads of us that go. It's nice to see my favourite festival doing well, but a shame it means that now all my mates can't be there.

The Mollusk

Give us a shout if you fancy having a chekky chin stroke and a beer together at Supersonic, @dmillburn , I'm always up for meeting CaBbers out in the wild, especially at gigs!

Head Gardener

just had a message that Paul McCartney is playing the Cheese and Grain in Frome tomorrow night, a special warm-up show for Glastonbury. You have to go to the C&G NOW, IN PERSON if you want tickets, can't go I'm in Scotland

Pranet

He is on the Pyramid stage at 9.30, he'll have to shift.

I wonder what the thinking behind doing some songs in front of a crowd rather than a private rehearsal is, so close to the gig? It would seem to make more sense if he played the warm up gig tonight? But I've never headlined Glastonbury so I wouldn't know. But I worry about him fitting in his tea, if he is rushing from Frome to Glastonbury.

JaDanketies

Billie Eilish properly killed it at the MEN Arena the other week, I dunno if any other channels are broadcasting Glasto but I see MTV are at least showing her set at 8:50

I went to Supersonic one year. I did enjoy lots about it but some of the acts were amateur a f A-level performing arts projects and people were only nodding their heads and acting like it was interesting cos they were beard-strokers. Incomparable to the actual musicians that were there like Mono or Anna Von Hausswolf or Dalek. The Emperor had no clothes

The Mollusk

There's pish on any festival lineup though. It's absolutely worth doing research before Supersonic, it's a rather nerdy festival anyway so having an itinerary for it makes sense. But then I think having an itinerary for every festival is essential.

Anyway, they do a fantastic job of supporting up and coming artists (not to mention pushing an inspirational agenda of female, BAME and LGBTQ+ representation across the lineup) which is why you're likely to find some half baked stuff on the bill. But there's almost always something great happening somewhere. I didn't see a single bad set in 2019, and if you go back and look at the lineups of their previous festivals a great deal of the smaller names are now very much well loved and popular names on the heavy underground circuit. They are extremely adept talent spotters.

Head Gardener

I imagine there are no tickets left by now

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Wow, what a turn up. Was wild enough when foo fighters showed up there. Wonder if touts are going to start booking a room in Frome for Glastonbury week in future...

Quote from: Pranet on June 23, 2022, 05:51:24 PMHe is on the Pyramid stage at 9.30, he'll have to shift.

I wonder what the thinking behind doing some songs in front of a crowd rather than a private rehearsal is, so close to the gig? It would seem to make more sense if he played the warm up gig tonight? But I've never headlined Glastonbury so I wouldn't know. But I worry about him fitting in his tea, if he is rushing from Frome to Glastonbury.

He's playing Glastonbury Saturday night!

Cheese And Grain said its also not going to be his usual set. Suppose he doesn't really need to use this as a rehearsal since he's on tour already.

non capisco

£25 to see Macca in a tiny hut, fuck me. I'm paying more than that to see what is essentially an XTC tribute band in a few weeks.

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on June 23, 2022, 10:34:00 PMCheese And Grain said its also not going to be his usual set.

90 minute version of 'Spies Like Us'.

Quote from: JaDanketies on June 23, 2022, 08:05:46 PMBillie Eilish properly killed it at the MEN Arena the other week, I dunno if any other channels are broadcasting Glasto but I see MTV are at least showing her set at 8:50

I saw her at the O2 with my kids, she was amazing. Her and Finneas are supernaturally talented. Surely the BBC will be showing the whole set live?

JaDanketies

Quote from: David Pielingtonburygrot on June 23, 2022, 10:42:41 PMI saw her at the O2 with my kids, she was amazing. Her and Finneas are supernaturally talented. Surely the BBC will be showing the whole set live?

Yeah I've just set up a bunch of recordings from BBC3, seems to be showing loads of Glastonbury

dmillburn

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 23, 2022, 11:59:37 AMGive us a shout if you fancy having a chekky chin stroke and a beer together at Supersonic, @dmillburn , I'm always up for meeting CaBbers out in the wild, especially at gigs!

I'm up for that, will drop you a message. There's a very good chance I'll be talking an absolute load of dogshit if we meet any time after 10 on Friday, but that's the gamble.

The Mollusk

Pranet

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on June 23, 2022, 10:34:00 PMWow, what a turn up. Was wild enough when foo fighters showed up there. Wonder if touts are going to start booking a room in Frome for Glastonbury week in future...

He's playing Glastonbury Saturday night!

Fucking hell what an idiot I am. I could have sworn he was playing Friday. I'm glad you pointed this out or I would have been wondering what was going on this evening.

Pranet

Quote from: David Pielingtonburygrot on June 23, 2022, 10:42:41 PMI saw her at the O2 with my kids, she was amazing. Her and Finneas are supernaturally talented. Surely the BBC will be showing the whole set live?

If it isn't all on normal tv should be all on iplayer I think, unless for some reason her or her people don't want it all shown which does happen sometimes.

boki

Quote from: dmillburn on June 23, 2022, 09:29:19 AMNo Glastonbury for us this year but we're off to Unorthodox Paradox in Anglesea tomorrow as HAQ123 are playing. Lovely chilled little festival 10 minutes from the beach with some great acts playing, should hopefully be a right doss.

Was super, super tempted to go to this as I've been to a couple UPs before and had a lovely time.  Neil always picks great locations as well as fine lineups - hope it goes well!

Head Gardener

Queen headlining this year then? probably having trouble finding the main stage

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on June 23, 2022, 10:34:00 PMCheese And Grain said its also not going to be his usual set.

Press To Play in its entirety, preceded by a showing of the Bruce McMouse film.

The Mollusk

Would love to go see Macca at Glasto solely with the intent of waving a fuck off big flag that says MEAT FREE MONDAYS DOT COM and getting a rowdy chant of "YOU CAN DO IT RIGHT NOW PLEASE! YOU CAN DO IT RIGHT NOW PLEASE!" going across the crowd. God can you imagine, would be incredible.

non capisco

Crowd just start forcing him to play it again and again like that Ralph McTell sketch from the Arthur Matthews penned show Big Train.

"Heyyyyy Ju.."

"FUCK OFF! WHAT'S THIS SHIT? MEAT FREE MONDAYS DOT COM!"

homesickalien

Has anyone ever volunteered / worked at festivals?

On the face of it it seems a good way to go to a festival for free (esp. sold out ones) and I've no interest in getting blitzed every night so carrying out the work shouldn't be an issue. 

Good idea? Bad idea?

The Mollusk

Quote from: homesickalien on June 26, 2022, 04:02:39 PMHas anyone ever volunteered / worked at festivals?

On the face of it it seems a good way to go to a festival for free (esp. sold out ones) and I've no interest in getting blitzed every night so carrying out the work shouldn't be an issue. 

Good idea? Bad idea?

Friends I've spoke to said it's pretty decent, mostly working about 6 hours in the day and then having the evening to roam about as they see fit. I can't imagine it's stressful work either, bar staff at every festival in the world wilfully just breeze about at their own pace.

dmillburn

Quote from: boki on June 24, 2022, 10:50:54 AMWas super, super tempted to go to this as I've been to a couple UPs before and had a lovely time.  Neil always picks great locations as well as fine lineups - hope it goes well!

It was fantastic - beautiful location for it a short walk from the beach, and some excellent acts. Unfortunately the weather was a bit of a nightmare on Saturday night with 45mph gusts of wind which absolutely fucked our tent up so rain just poured in, meaning we had to go home early Sunday missing a lot of stuff I was really looking forward to like Paddy Steer. Despite that it was still a blast, with theatrical horror ventriloquist act Lachlan Werner being a highlight.

Somehow that was my first UP despite friends having gone for a while but I'll be back next time for sure, it's just a lovely super-chilled little festival full of nice people and good noises.

Beagle 2

Quote from: homesickalien on June 26, 2022, 04:02:39 PMHas anyone ever volunteered / worked at festivals?

Good idea? Bad idea?

I did it at Green Man a few years back. I had four shifts, first one was the worst as I had to sit by a stage overnight to basically just keep an eye on it before people arrived. Second and third shifts were just walking around the perimeter and sitting at an information point, nice and chilled. The last one I had to check people's passes coming in and out backstage at Hawkwind and this guy got really aggro with me because I wouldn't let him in. He was issuing all sorts of threats and kept glaring at me making cutthroat gestures. I thought it was hilarious, who's that desperate to get backstage at Hawkwind?!

Rest of the time was ours, private field with cheap bar and showers - I would recommend.

Right, it's a year until Glastonbury. On to the main event now.

phantom_power

Has anyone been to the Wireless festival before? What can I expect?

Beagle 2

Also, anyone ever been to Solfest? I don't think it looks brilliant or anything but it falls on a weekend we could actually do (with small children)

jimboslice

Good idea? Bad idea?

Yeah, I've done a fair few. Doing Green Man and Deer Shed this year, and have volunteered with Oxfam in the past. Oxfam are the worst - longer shifts and they take it more seriously... don't like to see their stewards "sitting down" etc.

For Deer Shed this year it's an 8 hour shift and then your ticket is free. Green man it's usually 3 x 6 hr shifts, although I think they've added handover times this year. Staff camping has its perks too - better / easier to access showers, a staff tent with boiling water and charging points, that sort of thing.

Kankurette

I used to do Glastonbury and Reading with Oxfam and was allowed to sit down on the job in some places. I can't do it now because fibromyalgia. Standing for ages means barely being able to walk after. Reading was more varied - all I did at Glastonbury was check tickets. At Reading you got to do stages as well. I got lucky one year as I did the Carling tent and I was working the night Sleater-Kinney played there.