Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:56:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New radio comedy

Started by Bigfella, June 21, 2022, 06:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfella

'Damned Andrew' starts tonight at 6.30 this evening on Radio 4.  It has a complicated plot about demons and different dimensions, but my attention was caught by the fact that is being narrated by Alan Moore.  Yes, THE Alan Moore.  I checked. The synopsis also claims it 'is the first narrative comedy starring a non-binary character'.  Sounds promising, could well turn out to be one of those little known weird classics.

idunnosomename

Written by Andrew O'Neill, comedian whos been around quite a bit now, with Tom DeVille, who's a TV/film writer really.

idunnosomename

mainly a stand-up comedian vehicle like most pitches to Radio 4 comedy these days, but not bad. especially considering the first joke hinged on understanding that Slayer's last tour was their final tour.

also the whimsical bits seemed rather retro early 00s, which I didn't mind tbh

lauraxsynthesis

I loved it. Great direction and sound design. Recommended.

Bigfella

Great stuff, but I'll have to listen to it again.  Giving up the snout at the moment, 40th day of abstinence since you ask, I'm at that stage where you're okay most of the time but may suddenly shift into hyperactivity or just drift off.  At one point I zoned back in to hear "the Lee Dorrian years", but didn't hear the band referred to.  I need to know if I can add this to my list of Napalm Death mentions outside of John Peel/music mags.  The list so far is Stewart Lee and the author Gordon Legge whose character had a cat called Napalm Death in a novel or short story.

Ron Superior

Don't forget about the episode of Silicon Valley where You Suffer keeps being played in the office. And of course Barney teaching Ed Milliband to do his vocals on Radio 2. Ooh, and Shane appearing on the line up on Buzzcocks.

Bigfella

Quote from: Ron Superior on June 24, 2022, 06:39:52 PMDon't forget about the episode of Silicon Valley where You Suffer keeps being played in the office. And of course Barney teaching Ed Milliband to do his vocals on Radio 2. Ooh, and Shane appearing on the line up on Buzzcocks.
Well spotted pal, didn't know any of that.  Another anomaly I remember is Chris Evans playing Florida death metallers Deicide on Radio 1.

idunnosomename

Of course Bill Steer would join Carcass later in 1989 and then appeared with Jeff Walker as Smeg and the Heads in Timeslides

Shaky

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 25, 2022, 11:57:25 AMOf course Bill Steer would join Carcass later in 1989 and then appeared with Jeff Walker as Smeg and the Heads in Timeslides

*fetches pedant's trousers*

Steer was a founding member of Carcass ('85/'86), and his early Napalm stint overlapped.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Bigfella on June 24, 2022, 05:53:26 PMI need to know if I can add this to my list of Napalm Death mentions outside of John Peel/music mags.  The list so far is Stewart Lee and the author Gordon Legge whose character had a cat called Napalm Death in a novel or short story.

Don't forget Mr Dennis from Vic Reeves Big Night Out, the confectioner who doesn't stock Curly Wurlies as he finds them far too elaborate, who also claims to be "the producer of the Fields of the Nephilim, and Anthrax, and Napalm Death."

thenoise

Quote from: Ron Superior on June 25, 2022, 10:52:02 AMHaha, my mate just coincidentally sent me this:

https://www.loudersound.com/features/napalm-death-once-appeared-on-a-childrens-bbc-tv-show-in-1989-just-after-a-cartoon-about-cats

We watched it at primary school on the big TV on wheels. It was even more exciting than the sex education cartoon we had watched the previous year.

Pranet

Wanted to mention this somewhere and a radio comedy thread seems to be a suitable place- Andrew Nickolds, co writer of Ed Reardon and Dave Podmore has died.

Jittlebags

Ah fuck no. Love Ed Reardon.

Pranet

Yeah, that and Dave Podmore two favourites of mine.

Pranet

New series of Ed Reardon is out, and Christopher Douglas tweeted out this article he wrote for the Radio Times about Andrew Nickolds.

I approve of the cheese theft.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Bigfella on June 24, 2022, 05:53:26 PMGreat stuff, but I'll have to listen to it again.  Giving up the snout at the moment, 40th day of abstinence since you ask, I'm at that stage where you're okay most of the time but may suddenly shift into hyperactivity or just drift off.  At one point I zoned back in to hear "the Lee Dorrian years", but didn't hear the band referred to.  I need to know if I can add this to my list of Napalm Death mentions outside of John Peel/music mags.  The list so far is Stewart Lee and the author Gordon Legge whose character had a cat called Napalm Death in a novel or short story.

Nearly sure an obscure mid 1990s Napalm album cut appeared in an episode of Skins, possibly in a deleted scene on DVD. I've seen the scene but not the series to clarify.

idunnosomename

Oh I heard this and was so pleased it was back I forgot Nickolds had died. Interesting they have killed off Elgar too, although since it's been running for 18 years now and is quite strict on chronology had to happen around now if you're going to have any semblance of realism.

Consignia

I just listened to the first episode of the new series whilst running. And I couldn't but feel a bit sad for the death of Elgar. When Ed asked Elgar for his thoughts and no sound came back, it really hit me.

Jittlebags

Some great Elgar moments in Ed Reardon.

Great one along the following lines in 'The Name Check' with predictable results.
Here Elgar, let me twist your whiskers and see how that scans...

Speak

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 15, 2023, 03:56:38 PMNearly sure an obscure mid 1990s Napalm album cut appeared in an episode of Skins, possibly in a deleted scene on DVD. I've seen the scene but not the series to clarify.

They also appeared playing a gig on Skins too.

Speak

They get bloody everywhere. Had the best time watching them at Bangface, straight after Altern 8. The friendliest mosh pit ive ever been in!

Since this is apparently the Radio Comedy thread, I have a cry for help.

Why is it that the BBC dump or lose radio comedies so quickly?

I want to listen to the Hauntening by Tom Neenan and it's gone, sold to audible for a lot of money.

I want to listen to the Radio 2 Festival of Funny episode the Delightful Sausage did and it's like it doesn't exist.

What is up with the BBCs licensing or something that means the shows I pay for, that must cost <1% of a TV show, and are <1% of the archival size, is just gone or sold?

mippy

Most programmes are only available for 30 days - 1 year after broadcast, the former began in 2017 and the latter aired two years ago. Streaming rights and royalties make things complicated.