Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:34:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The new "What Stand Up Have You Seen Lately?" thread

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 16, 2016, 08:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 09, 2022, 04:45:20 PMOh I'm sure she has, and I know she's done other full length shows in the past, but there's never been anything that special about her club set that has made me want to seek out a full show. That might be a bit unfair though, and I know a good few comics who have a club set which is very different to when they do a whole hour.

I do like the WIP format for standup - it's not as peak and trough as open mic and yet polished, finished standup can leave me cold sometimes.  Depends on who it is I suppose.

Small Man Big Horse

I saw two work in progress shows at The Bill Murray today.

Micky Overman - Small Deaths - An hour long show about how easily influenced Micky is, her high sex drive, her love for the Patrick Swayze movie Dirty Dancing, and other bits and pieces, it was pretty okay but clearly a very, very early work in progress, and she commented a few times that she was disappointed by some parts not getting a big laugh. I'd see her again I guess, but I'd wait until she had a new hour rather than seeing the finished version of this. 3.25/5

Lauren Pattison - It Is What It Is - Whereas this felt all but finished and was pretty bloody great. I saw Pattison's first show on NextUp and didn't rate it that highly but I saw her headline at Quantum Leopard in 2020 and was really impressed, and with this show she's moved on to the list of must see comedians where I'll see whatever she does next without any doubt. It was just a very, very funny show about her life falling apart during the pandemic, but how she's pieced it together since, and it made me laugh hard a great deal. 4.25/5

edwardfog

Interesting. I'd probably have rated Micky over Lauren from the stuff I'd seen, but I guess there's a reason why Lauren is a bigger name, and it's def been a while since I've seen either of them

edwardfog

Some quick ones:

Britney - Friends and Nothing More
A very solid hour of sketches mainly based around a talent competition they were in together as teenagers. It doesn't have the same big juicy hook as their debut show, but pretty much all of the sketches landed. Reminded me of Shelf but a little more accomplished imo

Jordan Brookes - This is Just What Happens
I think this is the most I've seen him struggle with a room, but part of the fault has to be with the room, which had sprung a huge leak in the centre and pushed the audience to the edges of the room. Brookes wasn't quite able to generate the atmosphere he usually does. If you haven't seen him before, this is worth catching, as it preserves his unique sense of humour and mode of delivery. I don't think it quite stacks up against his back catalogue tho

Daniel Kitson - Outside
Another comic struggling with his room, Kitson's current gigs are all taking place outside, this one on a windy rooftop in Peckham. As well as the laughter being "blown away", sun glare and rain are both causing issues. After a two year break, he's still incredibly gifted as a performer, and it's great to see him do proper stand-up as opposed to reciting a script. A lot of his material is about being the last one left masking up and maintaining social distancing, and I think he struggles to connect his viewpoint to that of his audience, most of whom are presumably taking a softer stance than they were in March 2020.

DrGreggles

The Delightful Sausage have released Ginster's Paradise on Patreon.
It'll be on Go Faster Stripe in a couple of weeks.

Small Man Big Horse

Just noticed that Dr Brown (the US one, not the evil British one) is doing a gig at Angel Comedy in July - https://www.angelcomedy.co.uk/event-detail/dr-brown-befrdfgth-28th-jul-the-bill-murray-london-tickets-202207281830/?mc_cid=007e2fe849&mc_eid=ed233ae2c5 - It's fucking expensive though, and I finish work at 6.30pm on Thursdays, so there's no way I'll see it sadly.

CaledonianGonzo

On the other hand, it remains one of the funniest hours of live comedy that I've ever seen.

DrGreggles

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on June 15, 2022, 04:44:57 PMOn the other hand, it remains one of the funniest hours of live comedy that I've ever seen.

Yeah, I mean I love him to pieces which was why I posted it, but it's a lot more than he charged for his recent Soho Theatre gigs, and the timing doesn't work for me so sadly it's not to be.

edwardfog

I've got myself some tix - really into this recent trend for comedians bringing back classic shows for those of us who missed them the first time round. I've got a laundry list of requests if God is listening

Clarification please: did Doc Brown/Ben Bailey Smith actually do something evil or is he just "the evil one" because he's British

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: edwardfog on June 15, 2022, 06:17:24 PMI've got myself some tix - really into this recent trend for comedians bringing back classic shows for those of us who missed them the first time round. I've got a laundry list of requests if God is listening

Clarification please: did Doc Brown/Ben Bailey Smith actually do something evil or is he just "the evil one" because he's British

Oh, he's not done anything legally wrong - but he did appear in a fairly large role in David Brent: Life On The Road, so hence my mild mockery. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3137630/

iamcoop

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 13, 2022, 10:12:41 PMThe Delightful Sausage have released Ginster's Paradise on Patreon.

I'm seeing their WIP "Nowt But Sea" tomorrow and can't wait.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 13, 2022, 10:12:41 PMThe Delightful Sausage have released Ginster's Paradise on Patreon.

Not wanting to sound like a massive cheap arse (which I definitely am) but if I choose the £1.99 option would that give me access to the video?

DrGreggles

No idea, sorry.
I'm sure there's a breakdown of the tiers somewhere.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 18, 2022, 01:28:56 PMNot wanting to sound like a massive cheap arse (which I definitely am) but if I choose the £1.99 option would that give me access to the video?

It does, yes. Enjoy!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on June 19, 2022, 05:49:05 AMIt does, yes. Enjoy!

Thanks for that, I've got a busy day planned today (including seeing Simon Munnery for the first time in about five years) but am really looking forward to watching it when I get the chance.

Small Man Big Horse

Tom Mayhew - Trash Rich (WIP) 
To an audience of six (including myself) I wasn't sure if Mayhew would actually perform at one point, but he powered on through, though did the whole thing off stage and standing in the front row which felt a bit odd. Anyhow, the main theme is how he wants to buy his parent's council home for them, and though he doesn't want children he loves his nephews, it started off strongly but the last twenty minutes (of a 40 minute at best set) were patchier, and while I liked it, it clearly needs a lot of work. 3.25/5

Christy Coysh - Bangarang! (WIP)
2021's Musical Comedian of the Year winner this is a mixture of rap, r'n'b and pop, and the odd bit of weird silliness, and I really enjoyed it. Lyrically there was a lot of smart and inventive ideas played with, and his between song patter is strong too. 4/5

Simon Munnery - Trials and Tribulations (WIP)
The story of the two times Simon's been taken to court, mixed in with episodes of his anti-Archers drama "The Targets", where he played two identical twins chatting away with each other. There were bits of other anecdotes (one involving his daughter and the N word feeling a bit pointless) and occasional one liners, and while this still needs work (we were promised two more episodes of The Targets and a story about being mugged that he just didn't have time for), this was still great. 4/5

Small Man Big Horse

I watched The Delightful Sausage's Ginsters Paradise and really loved it, a definite 4.5/5 show packed with some very funny absurdity and madness, and will stick with being a patron now as I'm so fond of them, and £1.99 was such a bargain.

edwardfog

Glad you liked it - that show is a modern classic imo

Munnery's an interesting one. I think a lot of people get introduced to him via Stewart Lee's well known adulation, and he's clearly a genius, but there's something weirdly affectless about his performance style sometimes. I find it hard to connect to his stuff even when the quality is really high

kitsofan34

Quote from: iamcoop on June 18, 2022, 10:44:12 AMI'm seeing their WIP "Nowt But Sea" tomorrow and can't wait.

What did you think, coop?

edwardfog

Jacqueline Novak - Get On Your Knees
A truly brilliant show here from an American comic I'd never heard of before. This began as a Fringe show in 2018 and eventually morphed into this extended version which has been getting raves in America for the last few years. It's a very comprehensive show about the poeticism of blowjobs delivered in this baroque, unspooling, incredibly funny 90 minute monologue. Don't let the blurbs tell you it's a theatre piece, it just feels that way because it's incredibly good stand-up from the Maria Bamford school, with every line complex and hilarious and rushing past almost before you've had a chance to laugh at it. Deserves the hype and more besides

iamcoop

Quote from: kitsofan34 on June 24, 2022, 11:59:19 PMWhat did you think, coop?

I thought it was great!

It was a bit more "in progress" than I was expecting admittedly (they confessed they'd rewritten a lot of it that very morning) but it's as daft and charming (and as filthy) as all their other stuff and I'm really looking forward to seeing it when it's finished (costumes, visuals and all).

I just think they both have funny bones so it's a pleasure to spend an hour in their company either way. 

Quote from: edwardfog on June 24, 2022, 11:45:53 PMMunnery's an interesting one. I think a lot of people get introduced to him via Stewart Lee's well known adulation, and he's clearly a genius, but there's something weirdly affectless about his performance style sometimes. I find it hard to connect to his stuff even when the quality is really high

yeah, he's got a lack of conviction in his delivery or something. Remember seeing him once and he did a couple of lines as Alan Parker Urban Warrior and there was a jolt through the room because it came with so much more energy than everything else

Small Man Big Horse

I've never really found that with Munnery, there's been a couple of times when I've seen him as part of a mixed bill and his material wasn't that great (and it was the same material each time), but whenever he's done a full hour I've liked it a lot.

Frank Skinner (WIP) @ 2Northdown - A mixture of material about the pandemic, a smattering of jokes about when he was younger, a couple of impressions (
Spoiler alert
of himself
[close]
), and a part about how he wants to do a clean show now, how he wants to stop making knob jokes, even though his mind constantly comes up with them. The first half was superb, the second twenty minutes patchier, and presumably the newer gags, before he ended strongly. It was a pleasure to see him be what feels like an effortlessly funny man perform up close, and while I'd rate it 4/5 right it's another show than in it's finished form will no doubt be even better.

lauraxsynthesis

Fern Brady last night at EartH in Stoke Newington which seems a shambolically-run venue though an amazing space once one gets into it. I had high expectations and only thought her set was good not great. A lot was about her relationship and I found it kinda depressing. The surprise finish was very funny though.

Two female opening acts - Helen Bauer who I was seeing for the first time and she warmed the room up very effectively. I look forward to seeing more of her.

Celya AB who I was seeing for the second time and her material was much more polished than last time. Good but kinda swallowed by the massive venue space I thought. She owned a smaller room better.

edwardfog

Totally right, that's a very easy venue to get swallowed by. I'm not sure who or what that stage was built for - even full bands usually look like an ant on a runway there

Good to hear Helen Bauer did well. She's a machine

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 25, 2022, 09:39:53 PMFrank Skinner (WIP) @ 2Northdown - A mixture of material about the pandemic, a smattering of jokes about when he was younger, a couple of impressions (
Spoiler alert
of himself
[close]
), and a part about how he wants to do a clean show now, how he wants to stop making knob jokes, even though his mind constantly comes up with them. The first half was superb, the second twenty minutes patchier, and presumably the newer gags, before he ended strongly. It was a pleasure to see him be what feels like an effortlessly funny man perform up close, and while I'd rate it 4/5 right it's another show than in it's finished form will no doubt be even better.

Was this at the show last night? I was at that, and I agree that it was very good but he seemed really upset with it for some reason - every joke that didn't land seemed to convince him that it was a disaster even though most of the audience were laughing at most of the stuff. It's okay Frank, we know it's a WIP, we don't need you to keep reassuring us that the hour's almost up.

Also, the
Spoiler alert
Little and Large
[close]
joke was magnificent.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 26, 2022, 12:21:21 PMWas this at the show last night? I was at that, and I agree that it was very good but he seemed really upset with it for some reason - every joke that didn't land seemed to convince him that it was a disaster even though most of the audience were laughing at most of the stuff. It's okay Frank, we know it's a WIP, we don't need you to keep reassuring us that the hour's almost up.

Also, the
Spoiler alert
Little and Large
[close]
joke was magnificent.

I was - and I was one of the two mask wearers in the front row, with it being my friend who had recently had Covid! I noticed a couple of moments where he seemed disappointed a joke didn't land, but I didn't get the feeling he was that upset, but then I've seen a lot of work in progresses in the last two months and a lot of comedians apologising for the state of their shows, even, as with Frank, when they have no need to.

Oh, and yeah, the joke you quote was sublime, and my favourite one too!

I saw him on Monday and it seemed like you got the same show we did (though it was derailed a bit by a dickhead on the front row), was it as obvious that he was reading from his notes stuck to the wall as it was on Monday? He was practically hugging the wall at points (the patchier section you described)

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on June 26, 2022, 03:02:03 PMI saw him on Monday and it seemed like you got the same show we did (though it was derailed a bit by a dickhead on the front row), was it as obvious that he was reading from his notes stuck to the wall as it was on Monday? He was practically hugging the wall at points (the patchier section you described)

Not at all, he didn't have any notes on stage with him, there was one bit where he briefly looked at the wall behind the toilet cubicle and I did wonder if he'd stuck some notes there, but otherwise it was all from memory.

Chris Cantrill: The Bad Boy (WIP) - The PR blurb has a whole thing about it being a show about justice, tatts and parenting, and there's some stuff about him being the defendant and the audience the jury, but that seems to have been mostly jettisoned and certainly didn't describe the show we got today, which was mostly about his son and being a shit parent. I love the Delightful Sausage but this felt like a first draft of a show which given how close we are to Edinburgh was a bit surprising, there were some great moments but at times he lacked confidence and kept on explaining what the finished version was going to be like, and so disappointingly at best I'd rate it 3.25/5

Sam Nicoresti: Cancel Anti Wokeflake Snow Culture (WIP) - This was very much a work in progress too, with Sam explaining that sound cues were missing, along with bits of video and other elements, yet unlike with Chris I loved pretty much every moment of it, even the bits that didn't work were fascinating, there were a lot of big laughs to be had, and I just love the weird way his mind works. 4.5/5