Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:10:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Beatles Covers: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Started by DrGreggles, May 29, 2022, 12:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Simnock

bloom

Quote from: famethrowa on May 31, 2022, 03:27:54 AMIt's good. A real heavy freakout for Australia in 1970! I had the pleasure of playing it many times with the original singer, who unfortunately died a few years back. Never got to meet Rick Springfield though

Ah, nice! I dig it but it's in a weird category of like 'may as well be a different song but not in the All Along the Watchtower sense so I sort of wish it was' if that makes sense. And, obviously, no match for Sayer's masterpiece version...

weaseldust

Quote from: studpuppet on May 31, 2022, 11:46:00 AMBecause it's these clowns, not them:

d'oh i actually knew that as well so dunno what i was thinking. i guess technically it's still a beatles cover heh

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 31, 2022, 04:01:03 PMsean connery mawkish cover of in my life

I've always had a soft spot for, of all people, Keith Moon's fragile take on that song. It's quite poignant in its half-pissed, off-key way.

Art Bear

More Aussie heaviosity

I really like this one

studpuppet

Quote from: weaseldust on June 01, 2022, 10:11:07 AMd'oh i actually knew that as well so dunno what i was thinking. i guess technically it's still a beatles cover heh

Only joking with you - it totally deserves a place on this thread.

DrGreggles

SteveDave

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 01, 2022, 12:21:51 PMI've always had a soft spot for, of all people, Keith Moon's fragile take on that song. It's quite poignant in its half-pissed, off-key way.

I should've put this in my list. I say this is better than the original. His fragile voice against the choir is 10/10

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It really is lovely, especially when you consider that it was recorded in the thick of all that depressing Hollywood lost weekend insanity. A brief moment of shattered calm and sincerity.

Within hours of recording that, he was probably swinging from a hotel chandelier with his cock out.

jobotic

A mate just sent me this. It's good

gilbertharding

Has anyone nominated The Pixies version of Wild Honey Pie yet?

(if someone has, sorry... if that person turns out to have been me... that goes double)

gilbertharding

Famous Mortimer

I checked to see what cover versions of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" there are, and via Tapes 'n' Tapes' decent (if rather straight) cover, found the Minnesota Beatle Project, lots of Minnesota born or based musicians doing a series of fundraisers for music education in local schools.

https://www.discogs.com/label/460696-Minnesota-Beatle-Project

Some ones I like:

Aretha Franklin - Eleanor Rigby
https://youtu.be/TlHaX55wG0Y

Miten - Norwegian Wood
https://youtu.be/9Qa5EzLB6JI

The Mirage - Tomorrow Never Knows
https://youtu.be/SymcmmLY4G4

Ike & Tina - Come Together
https://youtu.be/c5xvcNrPyVE

Broken Bells - And I Love Her
https://youtu.be/QskXY_ROwxk

Doris Troy - Get Back (produced by George Harrison)
https://youtu.be/yiTW5yMI96o

daf

Bo Street Runners - "Drive My Car"

Released 29 April 1966 - did not chart

QuoteThe Bo Street Runners were formed in 1963 as The Roadrunners, but changed their name when it was discovered that another British group was already recording with the name. The group's original line-up included Gary Thomas on lead guitar, Bob O' Brien on keyboards, Nigel Hutchinson on drums, future UK Prime Minister Dave Cameron on bass guitar and John Dominic as vocalist.

In the spring of 1964, the band entered the Ready Steady Win! competition, a contest designed to find "the next Beatles", with a grand prize of £1000 and a recording contract with Decca Records. The band won the contest, and signed to Decca for their only single with the company, "I'm a Bo Street Runner".

Following the band's single, Decca sold their contract to Columbia Records in 1965. The band went through many personnel changes including lanky thunderstick Mick Fleetwood. By 1966, Fleetwood and John Dominic had left the band, and they released their final single,  a soul-orientated cover of The Beatles song "Drive My Car", featuring Mike Patto on vocals.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: jobotic on June 23, 2022, 02:47:14 PMA mate just sent me this. It's good

That is good.

Meant to find this for the thread ages ago, don't think it's been posted already. In an act of extraordinary self belief the performer added a new verse.

As featured on Office Hours:

Armed Traffic Warden

Not so much 'ugly' as disappointing, is Blood, Sweat and Tears go at 'Got to get you into my life'.

Love BS&T and their ability to really elevate most of the songs they take on (Fire and Rain being a favourite) and I've always found 'Got to get you into my life' to feel more like a sketch of the song it should be; so I was excited a while back when I found out that (a later, not as good version of) BS&T had covered it as with their prowess with horns and honing in on a song's strengths it should be the definitive version of the song. 
  I was disappointed, as I said.

dontpaintyourteeth

More of a thing for the remix thread I suppose but is that 50-minute version of Tomorrow Never Knows that Andrew Liles did actually online anywhere? I think he took it down but it was ace.

daf

The Mirage - "Tomorrow Never Knows"

Released 2 December 1966 - did not chart.

QuoteThe Mirage, from London, were under contract as house band to Dick James Publishing and backed Elton John at some of his early concerts, with bassist Dee Murray later going on to work with Elton John's band.

Thunder-stick Dave Hynes and bassist Dee Murray replaced Pete York and Eddie Hardin in Spencer Davis and The Spencer Davis Group (feat. Spencer Davis) in October 1968. Hynes and other members of the Mirage formed The Portobello Explosion, which eventually pupated into the equally hit-free proposition Jawbone.

Art Bear

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on June 24, 2022, 03:40:45 PMMore of a thing for the remix thread I suppose but is that 50-minute version of Tomorrow Never Knows that Andrew Liles did actually online anywhere? I think he took it down but it was ace.

https://soundcloud.com/user-437265952/tomorrow-never-knows-50-minute-version

I think Steve Harley and the Cockney Rebels' version of Here Comes the Sun was way better than the original.

daf

Big Jim Sullivan - "She's Leaving Home"

Featured on the album 'Sitar A Go Go' released in the UK 1967.

QuoteSmall James George Tomkins was born in Hillingdon Hospital, Middlesex. Known professionally as Big Jim Sullivan, he was introduced to guitar session work by Oh Boy! producer Jack Good after appearing on his show as a member of The Wildcats.

In the 1960s, Sullivan learned to play the sitar, having been inspired by attending a recording session for Indian classical musician Vilayat Khan. Sullivan released an album of Indian-style recordings under his own name in 1967, and one as "Lord Sitar", in 1968.

Throughout this period, Sullivan studied formally with Nazir Jairazbhoy and, until 1969, he all but abandoned guitar in favour of the sitar.

daf

More of a Mash-up than a cover, but I thought this worked quite well :

She's Leaving Home - Motown Version

I don't like the way pop/rock history tends to start around 1956, when really the connections with earlier pop forms like jazz songs are really pretty big. Big band jazz leader Count Basie's take on Come Together is not just good but makes the connections between the Beatles era and that earlier phase a bit more seamless;

daf

The Stormsville Shakers - "One And One Is Two"

Originally recorded in 1967 - first released in 2015

QuoteBorn in Hull, Phillip Goodhand-Tait began his music career while still in his teenage years.  He received the sum of five whole English pounds for assembling a five-piece band to play a dance at the local drill hall in 1960.  After flirting with names The Royphillians [weird], Phil Tone and the Midnighters [corny], and The Vibrants [strangely erotic!], by 1961 the group had settled on The Stormsville Shakers. The band, fronted by Goodhand-Tait on piano, included Paul Demers on drums, Ivor Shackleton on guitar, and Kirk Riddle on bass. 

By 1965, two new saxophonists had joined the line-up, and the group was on the cusp of a breakthrough when they recorded Chris Andrews' composition "Long Live Love". Unfortunately, Sandie Shaw released her version of the song first, which soaaaaaared to No. 1, and deprived The Stormsville Shakers of a potential hit - it's a shit business!

'One And One Is Two' was originally written for Billy J Kramer and The Dakotas, and was also offered to The Fourmost before it eventually ended up with The Strangers with Mike Shannon. The demo session reportedly contained Lennon exclaiming: "Billy J is finished when he gets this song".

NattyDread 2

Some absolute corkers to choose from. This is my favourite. Just gorgeous.

daf

Affinity - "I Am The Walrus"

Recorded in 1968 and featured on the album, 'Affinity', released in 1970

QuoteGrown in a petri dish in the science department of the University of Sussex in Brighton, by science students Lynton Naiff (keyboards), Grant Serpell (drums), and Nick Nicholas (double bass), The US Jazz Trio, played at University events and local gigs. When Serpell graduated a year later he was replaced by Mo Foster on drums. After university Naiff and Serpell, along with members of other bands gathered from other university bands, formed the pop group Ice.

In 1968, they auditioned for a new singer - finally plumping for English teacher Linda Hoyle, and changed their name to Affinity. They released their only album on the Vertigo label in 1970, and recorded the theme for a Shredded Wheat commercial.