Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:25:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Extremely small moments in comedy that make you laugh way more than intended

Started by Tikwid, May 01, 2018, 01:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: Ferris on June 22, 2022, 07:17:20 PMSuperb.

Despite the odd dodgy joke and the tedious bloke Cleese has become, some bits of FT genuinely make me laugh in a way that nothing else can. I think Basil reminds me slightly of my dad so it's a primal hilarity trigger or something.
Basil reminds me utterly of his dad. The bit where the kid says he didn't like some food and Basil says, "You liked half of it..." or similar is my dad.

famethrowa

I was waiting in the Chinese restaurant for the takeaway, and observed the diners with plates and plates of various meats, and Derek & Clive popped into my head, talking about the Queen Mum and her eleven heaps of shit.... "she dipped into 'em"... Marvellous.

Stigdu

Jim Carrey in Ace Ventura Pet Detective walking into the party and as he casually walks past, pulling at the violinist's sleeve so he plays an extremely duff note, gets me every time.

frajer

The Reece thread has got me thinking about Geoff and how much his delivery gets me laughing, even when the lines aren't comedic.

There's a bit in LOG Series 3 where Mike visits him and Geoff simply says "What do you want?" but the slightly faltering delivery and blunt intonation makes me laugh every time.

"What... d'you want?"

dead-ced-dead

I've been re-watching New Girl and I love Lamorne Morris as Winstone. He has these wonderfully awkward line deliveries when the character is flustered around women, but his delivery of "Shawty, what that thang do?!" is sooo funny.

The fact you you can see him regret it as he's saying it is just the icing.

The Mollusk

In S1E1 of Nirvanna The Band The Show when they're parodying Jurassic Park all the way through, the split second before the credits roll and there hasn't been any gags for a minute or two and it suddenly cuts to the end shot from JP with the bird flying over the ocean I absolutely fucking howl every time. There's nothing intrinsically funny about it, in fact it's the editing and the way the credits explode in immediately after that ties it up so well but it's because of the amazing energy the show has that the inclusion of that tiny shot is just incredible.

fucking ponderous

Had Peep Show on as background noise while working yesterday. In "University Challenge", just as funny as Jeremy's "And that's good, is it?" is MacLeish's quiet rejoinder that he doesn't actually care for that particular author. The fact that he feels the need to defend his taste against such a half-assed insult is so funny to me, and adds a nice touch of insecurity to the character, who's basically just an insecure bully. Show was great at realistic little supporting character moments like that, indicating a whole other world that never gets explored- see also "I. Would like. To bang her."

The Mollusk

Saw another Big Train one earlier. In the hot cakes/too many cooks sketch. At the end when Peter redeems himself there's an anonymous other cook behind him who leans forward and gives him a little smiley encouraging push on the shoulder. Whole sketch is class but that tiny bit right at the end seals it

Russ L

Leslie Nope: [Something ribald, I forget what, it doesn't matter] if you know what I mean...
Perd Hapley: Hahahahahaha... I don't know what you mean, but it had the cadence of a joke!

(Edit: The eagle-eyed will spot that I meant to post this in the other pinned thread).

Epic Bisto

Richard Herring explaining on an episode of TMWRNJ:  "There's all kinds of milk: cow milk...dog milk...winkie milk..."

It doesn't help that I may have broken a rib and that even thinking of this line causes me to burst into laughter and pain.

Sebastian Cobb

It's the delivery of 'watch it prick' more than 'ass blood' for me.

The Mollusk

Rewatching Delocated at the moment and in the second season the way Eugene Mirman plays Yvgeny without saying or doing much is so funny. Sergei going absolutely mental at him for being a disgrace to the family and he has this really poorly acted look of dejection, it's terrible but it's so good. I think the way Steve Cirbus massively overacts his role creates great contrast between the two of them. He's genuinely terrifying at times.

Mrgeebus

This whole bit is genius wordplay, but the one tiny bit that absolutely ruins me is at 0:18 - 0:20

"Cigarette?"
"Yes, I know"

It's such a simple, stupid, yet clever gag.

See also:

Spudgun

Quote from: Mrgeebus on October 12, 2022, 09:04:38 AMSee also:

Love that, and Police Squad in general. I've always wondered whether that "I'm a locksmith..." joke based on this old Looney Tunes gag (skip to 5:18):

https://www.supercartoons.net/cartoon/652/porky-pig-deduce-you-say.html

"Name?"
"Shropshire Slasher."
"Occupation?"
"Shropshire Slasher."

NoSleep

Bentpitch

Quote from: Cuellar on August 11, 2020, 11:50:33 AMThe 'BUY A PAPER, ANTHONY' bit in The Day Today - the angrily triumphant 'I'VE GOT IT...I'VE GOT THE - MIRROR' as Anthony flees from the newsagent. The little pause between 'I've got the' and 'Mirror' cracks me up big time, no idea why

https://youtu.be/rguQFPnPIYc?t=235

From the same segment, the way Doon says CAN I GET TO MY DESK PLEASE cracks me up every time, along with her dead-eyed YES I CAN at the end, completely robotic, completely disassembled.

famethrowa

In the Best Show with Scharpling and Wurster, they're discussing a particularly insalubrious part of town and Wurster says "yeah, where that thing exploded" without elaboration. Wonderfully evocative.

Magnum Valentino

The smile that You, Accordion Man gives Alan when he replies that he WAS at the Folie Bergaire (sp) the night before really makes me laugh and I think about it nearly every day when I reply in single syllables in the affirmative while smiling and leaning against a wall.

In Man Down, Gregg Davis says to his 9 year old niece that her party sounds rubbish. To which she replies "You're rubbish!", to which he replies "You're rubbish mate, you can't even drive".

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on June 29, 2022, 12:48:10 PMI've been re-watching New Girl and I love Lamorne Morris as Winstone. He has these wonderfully awkward line deliveries when the character is flustered around women, but his delivery of "Shawty, what that thang do?!" is sooo funny.

The fact you you can see him regret it as he's saying it is just the icing.

I absolutely love New Girl, so many great lines and performances. The (loose) two parter where the boys go to the desert for a stag do and the following episode where Jess and Cece try and return the breadmaker while stoned are two of my favourite episodes of anything ever.

In fact I was just coming her because of the desert episode, where Nick runs into the toilets to escape an upcoming brawl and Schmidt sees him scrabbling at the window. The way he over-excitedly says 'You trying to let a bee out? That's dope, man' makes me laugh out of all proportion to the line itself.

And then my favourite fight scene of all time.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on December 06, 2022, 09:31:33 AMI absolutely love New Girl, so many great lines and performances. The (loose) two parter where the boys go to the desert for a stag do and the following episode where Jess and Cece try and return the breadmaker while stoned are two of my favourite episodes of anything ever.

In fact I was just coming her because of the desert episode, where Nick runs into the toilets to escape an upcoming brawl and Schmidt sees him scrabbling at the window. The way he over-excitedly says 'You trying to let a bee out? That's dope, man' makes me laugh out of all proportion to the line itself.

And then my favourite fight scene of all time.

Max Greenfield's line deliveries often elevate already very good writing. His Emmy nomination was very deserved.

Jack Shaftoe

Definitely. And just the noises he made sometimes. That abrupt scream when Jess is telling him about having impromptu sex with the dude supplying the wine list for the wedding, not realise that's Schmidt's dad.

Watched a S3 episode of Wellington Paranormal where Minogue was being dragged along by an invisible monster and shouted "the tables have turned, the tables have turned" which had me giggling for a good while.

The Mollusk

In Wayne's World, the little look up from his magazine that Garth gives Wayne when he's doing the "Dick York, Dick Sergeant, Sergeant York" bit.

non capisco

The bit in A Shot In The Dark where Clouseau is playing billiards with the George Sanders character, picks out the bridge as a cue and when this is pointed out says "Ah, yes. I much prefer the good old fashioned plain cue."

Possibly because it reminded me of the Stewart Lee 'name all the crisps......plain' bit but still. A Shot In The Dark is mint, best Sellers film I'm saying. 

Pink Gregory

Quote from: non capisco on December 30, 2022, 01:02:21 AMThe bit in A Shot In The Dark where Clouseau is playing billiards with the George Sanders character, picks out the bridge as a cue and when this is pointed out says "Ah, yes. I much prefer the good old fashioned plain cue."

Possibly because it reminded me of the Stewart Lee 'name all the crisps......plain' bit but still. A Shot In The Dark is mint, best Sellers film I'm saying. 

am I right in thinking that yer Exorcist man William Peter Blatty wrote or at least worked on that one?