Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:27:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee nearly killed onstage

Started by lazyhour, March 07, 2022, 11:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MigraineBoy

It was Wet Nelly in Liverpool.

My 70yr old Dad was laughing away at that - I had to Google it.

Cold Meat Platter

What was the Edinburgh food, nice people of CaB?

Purple Toupee

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on June 20, 2022, 05:24:52 PMWhat was the Edinburgh food, nice people of CaB?
Stovies! Got one of the biggest laughs of the night as well.

I really enjoyed the show, he was more relaxed than I expected and seemingly overran a bit as he was enjoying himself. Thought the Tornado half was a lot stronger than Snowflake though.

king_tubby

Leeds was parkin.

He told us (in Leeds) that in Sheffield the night before it was shit that people in Sheffield have all down them because they eat shit.

McDead

He did Perth tonight and it was stovies again, plus a bit with his offstage driver about being charged for the gravy he'd had on his chips at the Blue Lagoon.

Great show anyway, much preferred this to Content Provider. This was more playful, less embittered. He seems happier. The

Spoiler alert
Alan Bennett
[close]

stuff was superb, proper old daft concept taken to the nth degree. A little Coogan-ish, maybe? Also he must have been feeling quite up afterwards, cos he talked to me and the missus for ages and even kept talking after I signalled that we had to go and the men were all packing up around him. I will be dining out on this for some time now, I can tell you.

McDead

Quote from: Helvetica Scenario on April 02, 2022, 06:21:35 PMSaw him in Poole a few weeks ago and he had to interrupt his flow at the end of Tornado as he was understandably extremely frustrated that the two guys sat in front of me got up early to (presumably) beat the rush to the bar. He was already
Spoiler alert
sat on the chair during the Alan Bennett segment
[close]
and was shouting desperately at them to wait just one more minute for the end. That changed to a bellowed "FUCK OFF THEN!" as they continued unperturbed.

This very thing happened at the Perth show. He swept across the stage, dragging the microphone stand with him as though preparing to pack away the first half and some NITWITS took this as their cue to make a leap for the door. He called them twats, then when they tried to immediately come back in, called them twats again. Clearly very angry.

SteveDave

He's doing 4 WIP nights at the Bill Murray in July lads £8.50

the science eel

is there really any need for all these spoilers? it's like hiding a photo of your lass from your
Spoiler alert
cat
[close]

Endicott

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 20, 2022, 02:19:30 PM"Like the metropolitan elite of Sussex, but with gravy all down you." was how he described us. I wonder what he says to audiences in London.

You literally are the metropolitan liberal elite, and you're the reason Brexit happened.

Just got back from the gig at the RFH.

Dr Rock

Has he done any shows in Kent? I want to know what the addition to 'metropolitan elite' would be. I'd go for hops.

Gravy for Sussex doesn't seem that apt. (No offence Stu) Better suggestions Sussexites?

Chicory

Banoffee Pie?  (Jevington, East Sussex)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 04, 2022, 08:43:20 AMHas he done any shows in Kent? I want to know what the addition to 'metropolitan elite' would be.
"Like the metropolitan elite of Sussex, but with gravy all down you."

jobotic

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 04, 2022, 08:43:20 AMHas he done any shows in Kent? I want to know what the addition to 'metropolitan elite' would be. I'd go for hops.

Gravy for Sussex doesn't seem that apt. (No offence Stu) Better suggestions Sussexites?

Yeah, in Chatham! Been trying to remember what he said but can't.

retsuza

According to the newsletter:

Quote from: General Ratko MladićSNOWFLAKE TORNADO TV/DVD
This was filmed in York in May and will be on BBC2 in autumn as 2 separate shows.

Nice to see it confirmed for some time in Autumn, looking forward to it.

MigraineBoy

Marc Maron did a retrospective of his WTF podcast for New York magazine & mentioned Stew:

Guest's wisdom that resonated with you most

Stewart Lee made something apparent to me as a stand-up. He's a great stand-up from England, and he's fairly provocative, and he has his own way of doing it that's not for everybody. At some point, he had quit stand-up, because he felt a growing resentment towards the audiences not getting him. Then he started doing it again, and he really changed his frame of mind about people who weren't getting him: I'm sorry that this was the wrong thing for you tonight. I'm not your guy. Seeing it that way gave me a lot of relief and it alleviated a lot of self-criticism and anger. Instead of seeing people that clearly aren't having a good time as some sort of indictment of me, I started looking at them like, You should have done a little more research. I guess I'm not your cup of tea.

SteveDave

His Bill Murray show last night was cancelled because he had Covid. Which is good because I feel like death and didn't much feel like sitting in a hot box for an hour.

peteprodge

Quote from: SteveDave on July 19, 2022, 02:48:47 PMHis Bill Murray show last night was cancelled because he had Covid. Which is good because I feel like death and didn't much feel like sitting in a hot box for an hour.

Topic title turns relevant again.

retsuza

Snowflake is going to be on BBC Two this Sunday and Tornado the following Sunday.

I'm not going to lie I'm very excited. I was going to see this (these) in 2020 until I couldn't. Maybe not the same as seeing it live but I do not care at this point.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm wincing at the price of those Basic-Lee tickets, given the 7pm start it means I could only make it on a Saturday where it's £37, and throw in transport and that makes it over £40. I've only ever missed one show before (Content Provider), and I am a huge fan, but given the joys of the cost of living crisis and the fact that it's almost certain to be filmed means I might end up giving this one a miss too.

Twilkes

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 01, 2022, 10:08:35 AMI'm wincing at the price of those Basic-Lee tickets, given the 7pm start it means I could only make it on a Saturday where it's £37, and throw in transport and that makes it over £40. I've only ever missed one show before (Content Provider), and I am a huge fan, but given the joys of the cost of living crisis and the fact that it's almost certain to be filmed means I might end up giving this one a miss too.

Is that the going rate for a show at the Soho/Leicester Square Theatre? What's the capacity?

We spent umpty pounds on Bill Bailey in the Armadillo in Glasgow, only to sit about a hundred feet above him and wait for the material and laughs to travel up to us. Yes we got to see Bill Bailey but a £15 ticket for The Stand on a Saturday night is far more satisfying.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Twilkes on September 01, 2022, 10:24:16 AMIs that the going rate for a show at the Soho/Leicester Square Theatre? What's the capacity?

We spent umpty pounds on Bill Bailey in the Armadillo in Glasgow, only to sit about a hundred feet above him and wait for the material and laughs to travel up to us. Yes we got to see Bill Bailey but a £15 ticket for The Stand on a Saturday night is far more satisfying.

It's slightly cheaper on a weekday, but only by about three quid. And I feel the same way, if I'm guaranteed a place in the front few rows I might be tempted even if it's really expensive, but I'm not a fan of big venues and much prefer seeing comedy at places like 2Northdown or Angel Comedy. I do love the Soho Theatre as well (which has three spaces, none of which hold more than 150) and prices are lower (though they have crept up recently) but the cheapest tickets tend to be around £12, and it's rarely higher than £20, though I have noticed that a really big name / well known US comedian might be £25 these days.

The Leicester Square holds 400 which for stand up I don't hate as long as I'm in the first five or six rows, but I'd probably skip it if I couldn't get good seats. And I've not seen tickets that pricey before, and normally expect them to be around the £20 - £25 mark.

Edit: I should add that this all comes down to personal circumstances, I went a bit mad during my two week Holiday in August and saw a sod load of comedy, theatre and films so am a bit broke now, but when I'm able to build up my savings a bit I might reconsider. Having seen Lee well over 15 times (some of those being benefit gigs, or an appearance on a mixed bill rather than a full show) makes a big difference too, and I would be far likelier to spend £40 if it was a comedian I loved who I hadn't seen live before.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Mobius on March 23, 2022, 02:52:09 AMHilarious few minutes there, great stuff

I've just watched a preview copy (ooh, get me) of the BBC recording of Snowflake/Tornado, and the
Spoiler alert
Alan Bennett/Erving Goffman/J.L. Austin stuff had me in bits.

The very idea of these highfalutin academics (no, I'd never heard of them either) pissing themselves at Stew's silly act is hilarious.
[close]

Ferris

I'll be in the UK in December and essentially the only thing I've booked for myself is tickets for a Stewart Lee show.

Over the moon excited, used to see him every four and not gone for almost 10 years at this point.

DrGreggles

How come the BBC are showing them in the wrong order?

lazyhour

Looking forward to finally seeing the Alan Bennett bit, as that was the segment he abandoned when he was
Spoiler alert
nearly killed onstage
[close]
in Bexhill.

Gurke and Hare

The Alan Bennett bit might be my favourite bit of standup ever.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 04, 2022, 10:10:58 AMHow come the BBC are showing them in the wrong order?

Are they two distinct hours linked only by somewhat mutable themes, or is there continuity between the two?

I would hope the former if they are the other way round to how they're performed.

dissolute ocelot

When I saw Snowflake in Edinburgh recently, he spent half the show listing bits in the show that we'd have to wait and watch on the BBC because we weren't good enough. So I'm looking forward to seeing how much he actually hated us.

Ferris

Is this out then?!

Gotta find a way to watch it now

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: Pink Gregory on September 04, 2022, 11:48:57 AMAre they two distinct hours linked only by somewhat mutable themes, or is there continuity between the two?

I would hope the former if they are the other way round to how they're performed.

No, they're not linked at all.

Quote from: Ferris on September 04, 2022, 12:59:39 PMIs this out then?!

Gotta find a way to watch it now

Hopefully Snowflake will be available to torrent after being broadcast tonight. I'll keep an eye out.