Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:10:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Interesting theme tunes

Started by Replies From View, June 26, 2022, 11:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on June 28, 2022, 09:00:48 AMThe Moomins theme by Graeme Miller and Steve Shill. One of those pieces of music that feels so integral to the otherwordly atmosphere of the series that you feel like it must've been there from the start, but was in fact only present in the UK dub, on which the Producer gave two Leeds art students free reign to do whatever they wanted.

Finding this out has properly done my nut in, that theme is absolutely integral. Wild

Levi

I love this - the huge chorus has the same sort of cinematic strings as the best Bond theme Nobody Does It Better, but with the associated imagery of an ape shitting in a police car and stuff.

Ray Travez

Maltese- the Mafia Detective. I especially like when the distorted synth comes in, around 50 seconds, and then just builds. Moody

DrGreggles

jamiefairlie

White Horses

Jacky Lee was a popular session singer throughout the 60s and also sang the theme to Rupert The Bear.

White Horses of course was a staple of the much loved British summer holiday group of TV shows shown in the morning to keep kids occupied in the days before access to everything was a click of a button away.

It was one of those shows that was clearly of European origin and dubbed into English and was therefore slightly unsettling and incomprehensible to my lazy child mind as I stared gormlessly at it between 10:00 and 10:24 AM each weekday morning, with absolutely no clue what was going on..

It now turns out that it was a 1965 series co-produced by Yugoslavian and German TV. The story follows the adventures of a teenage girl Julia  who leaves Belgrade to spend a holiday on a stud farm run by her Uncle Dimitri, where with the help of head groom Hugo, white Lipizzaner horses are raised.

Who knew eh?

jamiefairlie

The Flashing Blade

Another summer holiday favourite and another bafflingly confusing foreign import, this time an endless battle somewhere in southern Europe sometime around the 1800s or so. I discovered recently that I'd never seen the last episode because the BBC screwed up the dubbing. It didn't make much difference though to be honest.

The Flashing Blade (French: Le Chevalier Tempête) is a French television serial made in the late 1960s. It was first broadcast in the UK on BBC children's television during the 1960s, with several re-runs throughout the 1970s. The British version of twelve 22 minutes episodes was created from the original four French 75-minute episodes.

The fictional story is based upon historical events during the War of the Mantuan Succession (1628–1631) between France and Spain and its allies

jamiefairlie

My World

born in Matlock, Derbyshire, Alan Parker was an in-demand session guitarist, playing on  Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man" and the Walker Brothers' "No Regrets.

He also wrote a number of TV theme tunes, of which this is one for the kids education show My World, a staple of 'Television for Schools and Colleges', cue the clock with disappearing dots.....

jamiefairlie

Double Deckers

A 17-part British children's television series originally broadcast from 1970 until 1971 on BBC1, revolving around the adventures of seven children whose den was an old red double-decker London bus in a scrap yard.

jamiefairlie

Robinson Crusoe

Yet another summer holiday dubbed effort. The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe is a French-German children's television drama series. The show was first aired in Germany in October 1964. It was first aired in the UK in 1965 as a 13-part serial.

kalowski

Quote from: jamiefairlie on July 04, 2022, 04:31:25 AMJoe Fucking 90!

A Northern Soul stomper!

Here's a theme that I've always loved
Jazz flute
Lounge vocals
Freakout section

I remember Blur coming on to this on their 1991 tour.

Great stuff jamiefairlie, my soul is now yearning for 1970s school holidays / Saturday mornings. There was this one as well:

Apart from being one of the most irritating programmes ever made (and definitely the most irritating title),Some Mothers Do Ave Em had an interesting theme tune because the rhythm of it spelled out the title in morse code.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: jamiefairlie on July 04, 2022, 04:09:12 AMMy World

born in Matlock, Derbyshire, Alan Parker was an in-demand session guitarist, playing on  Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man" and the Walker Brothers' "No Regrets.

He also wrote a number of TV theme tunes, of which this is one for the kids education show My World, a staple of 'Television for Schools and Colleges', cue the clock with disappearing dots.....

Evokes the whiff of Lem-Sip, Smith's 'Horror Bags' maize-based snacks and sweaty nylon pyjamas.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 04, 2022, 02:38:37 PMEvokes the whiff of Lem-Sip, Smith's 'Horror Bags' maize-based snacks and sweaty nylon pyjamas.

And comics, loads of comics 👍

Brundle-Fly

Here's an odd one. One for the Hauntology thread?

Glebe

^Been reading Scarred for Life Volume One, that's one of the first things the book covers, watched it on YouTube for the first time about a year ago. Most un-kid-friendly 'children's programme' ever!

Also only listened to that Tomorrow People theme jaimefairlie posted for the first time t'other day! Don't recall ever seeing it as a nipper.

Norton Canes

Dudley Simpson, long-time Doctor Who incidental music composer. It's the best thing he did, as good as any John Barry spy theme.

Glebe

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 04, 2022, 08:32:38 PMDudley Simpson, long-time Doctor Who incidental music composer. It's the best thing he did, as good as any John Barry spy theme.

Blake's 7 theme was great though:

Pancake

Where's the delete button

Pancake

There's an absolutely stunning piece of music from the Mysterious Cities of Gold soundtrack by Haim Saban and Shuki Levy, this played during the iconic moment when they activated the golden condor, sounds like a jumble of sounds that somehow comes together perfectly.

In fact the entire Cities of Gold ST is great, composed as it was by Egyptian/Jewish guys who used to be in a band called The Lions of Judah.

Pancake

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 27, 2022, 01:25:21 AMThe off-kilter circus vibe of the Withnail and I theme tune perfectly sums up the title characters.

There's a track called Marwood Walks which is literally the sound of my 80s, wet walks through mid-Wales or the Dunstable Downs with my dads weird side of the family before going home to watch Chronicles of Narnia on telly

Pancake

I watched Under the Mountain when I was little and loved it but being pre-internet once something fucked off it was left to become either forgotten or almost mythical in your head, this became the latter and I thought the theme tune was cooler and more etherial than this but being post-internet I can look it up and it's not

Brundle-Fly

The original arrangement of University Challenge is peculiarly daft for such a highbrow quiz show . It sounds more like the theme tune to some sitcom starring Charlie Drake. No wonder Scumbag College hand jived like crazy to it.

Brundle-Fly

Is the coolest U.S. gameshow theme ever?  If you join in you'll all have sore hands and thighs by the end.

poodlefaker

Quote from: bgmnts on June 26, 2022, 11:25:53 PMThe Simpsons just feels like nothing i've heard in a theme tune and sometimes it feels like it's just discordant and all over the place but it isn't. Every time I hear it I try to highlight a different instrument every time.

My mum always said The Simpsons sounded like Peter and the Wolf. (Every flipping time, god bless her.) Not sure which bit she meant, though, perhaps this:

Mr Trumpet

Love the percussion in The Man From UNCLE:

And Robin of Sherwood is almost a comedy punchline in itself these days but the theme is mental:

famethrowa

Quote from: poodlefaker on July 05, 2022, 12:57:51 PMMy mum always said The Simpsons sounded like Peter and the Wolf. (Every flipping time, god bless her.) Not sure which bit she meant, though, perhaps this:

She's got a point, it's the same sort of ascending melody that finishes on the same 2 notes and goes a bit wonky after. Once again, probably a happy accident, but it is one of the most famous tunes of the classical repertoire.

buzby

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on June 30, 2022, 07:00:51 PMThat's fantastic. I have vague memories of seeing these idents on UTV back in the day. I think this was the slot where they showed stuff like The Hitman and Her? Was there a similar ident featuring a black cat, or am I Mandela-ing my hauntological memory banks?
Apologies, but the delayed reaction of the forum's alert facility has only just notified me of your post. No. you aren't misremembering the 'black cat' Night Time ident, it can be found in this compilation of the idents used for the strand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK-5e3EheTM
The black cat sequence itself was nicked from the 1973 horror film The Legend Of Hell House