Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift

Started by madhair60, September 05, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
48 (60.8%)
No
6 (7.6%)
Raoul Moat
25 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Kelvin on July 03, 2022, 10:45:25 PMI've just remembered another really fun addition to the Wii U version of Windwaker; you could draw pictures and write messages on the gamepad and then send them off to other players via bottles in the ocean! Shame that probably won't make it into a Switch version.

I made sure to get it on the WiiU before the store went down; having the UI and especially the map on the gamepad was probably the best use of it that ever happened.  Need to figure out how to activate Hero mode because I always found it a bit easy.

Beagle 2

Rayman Legends is £7.49 on the estore until tomorrow. It's always coming up on sale so no great urgency but this is the first time I've actually taken the plunge and played it - what a joyous game. Just so well put together and works brilliantly in co-op.

I went back to have another crack at Mario Odyssey last week. I absolutely loved it at the time but going back now it does seem like a bit of a tedious experience. Just such cavernous levels, I sat there playing it in stoney silence with the boy, lots of tottering around aimlessly punctuated by occasional sighing. We spent yesterday playing Rayman laughing our asses off.

Pink Gregory

Bayonetta 3's coming out yaaaaaaay along with a physical release of Bayonetta which I will for some reason buy along with Bayo 2 because the WiiU port of Bayo 1 could be better and at that point why the hell not also have 2.

Kelvin

Yeah, after a substantial dry period, we're getting some cool stuff in the next few months, with Xenoblade 3 in July, Splatoon 3, then Bayo 3. Even that Kirby racing game might be good for a breezy, budget title. Very excited about Xenoblade and Bayo.

EDIT:  Here's the Kirby game for those who haven't seen it:     

popcorn

I wanna get the Klonoa reissue. I hope Klonoa's as good as I remember it being in 1975 or whenever it was.

Pink Gregory

FalknerHinton

I'm probably the last person to know this, but if you're playing KOTOR/KOTOR 2 on the switch, double clicking the left stick brings up a cheat menu.

Suck it Taris/Peragus Mining Facility.

Crenners

Not turned on my Switch in about six months and just tried to charge it and it's seemingly dead as a dodo.

If there's no back compat with the Switch 2, I will smash up Nintendo HQ.

Crenners

Charged it for about five hours and it came back to life.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Crenners on August 05, 2022, 08:11:14 PMCharged it for about five hours and it came back to life.

do you have one of the original ones, before they started putting the improved battery in?  Wonder if that's anything to do with it.

Crenners

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 06, 2022, 05:53:32 AMdo you have one of the original ones, before they started putting the improved battery in?  Wonder if that's anything to do with it.

Yeah, it's a day one. I almost never used it handheld after the first year or two so it's not used to being drained.

FalknerHinton

If you like Spike Chunsoft games (the 999/zero escape games) and you've not played it yet, can I recommend AI: The Somnium Files? I'm only a couple of hours in and it's already brilliant. Great soundtrack too.

It's on sale on the eshop, but only for a couple more hours I think.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: FalknerHinton on August 16, 2022, 10:19:40 PMIf you like Spike Chunsoft games (the 999/zero escape games) and you've not played it yet, can I recommend AI: The Somnium Files? I'm only a couple of hours in and it's already brilliant. Great soundtrack too.

It's on sale on the eshop, but only for a couple more hours I think.

Sale ends tonight, but yes, people need to get a wriggle on.

If anyone isn't aware, https://www.dekudeals.com is brilliant for tracking deals.

oggyraiding

The Splatoon 3 test Splatfest is on Saturday, 9AM - 9PM BST. You can go on it now for tutorial and making a character, but can't play until those times. I really liked the first Splatoon, sort of bounced off the second, but this one looks fun.

Pink Gregory

Really off games at the minute but I just spent 15 minutes on my animal crossing island and it restored my soul in a small way.

kalowski

Quote from: oggyraiding on August 25, 2022, 09:08:18 PMThe Splatoon 3 test Splatfest is on Saturday, 9AM - 9PM BST. You can go on it now for tutorial and making a character, but can't play until those times. I really liked the first Splatoon, sort of bounced off the second, but this one looks fun.
My daughter loves Splatoon. How does she join this?

brat-sampson

Quote from: kalowski on August 25, 2022, 10:30:54 PMMy daughter loves Splatoon. How does she join this?

Just head to the eshop and download it for free. Assuming she has a Nintendo Online sub, she'll be able to play for as long as it's live tomorrow.

Kelvin

Had a little go on the Splatoon 3 demo. It definitely runs better than 2, much less framerate issues in the hub - and I think it looks a bit better overall as well.

It's still very much the same experience, though. Not a terrible thing as Splatoon is a fundamentally great game... but it's disappointing they aren't pushing the series into interesting areas, adding big new mechanics, as Nintendo tend to do with their other series.

oggyraiding

Played a few hours of Splatoon 3. Not touched the single player campaign yet, but Salmon Run and multiplayer are very much like Splatoon 2. You can now do Salmon Run any time instead of only specific days, which is nice. Still trying to find a weapon that works for me on multiplayer. So far dicked around with the bucket, the roller, the gatling gun, and the starter blaster. Roller is pretty brainless but effective. Gatling gun is shite.

Memorex MP3

Just discovered you can directly use joycons as wiimotes on Dolphin for PC with reasonable reliability. And Steam (along with a ton of things, or maybe that's just a steam driver?) is able to recognize when a pair are connected to use as one controller too 🙌. Shame about the lack of analogue triggers though 😔

Having had a Steam Deck I'm now hyper aware of how annoying the lack of grips on joycons in portable mode is. Does anyone have any recommended grip options that are dockable and the joycons can be easily removed from without removing the case? Or should I just get that hori pro pad thing to always leave on the switch?

RetroRobot

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on October 29, 2022, 06:24:29 PMJust discovered you can directly use joycons as wiimotes on Dolphin for PC with reasonable reliability. And Steam (along with a ton of things, or maybe that's just a steam driver?) is able to recognize when a pair are connected to use as one controller too 🙌. Shame about the lack of analogue triggers though 😔

Having had a Steam Deck I'm now hyper aware of how annoying the lack of grips on joycons in portable mode is. Does anyone have any recommended grip options that are dockable and the joycons can be easily removed from without removing the case? Or should I just get that hori pro pad thing to always leave on the switch?

Hori pads are ace but you can only use them in handheld mode. I only have em for long train journeys as usually I play docked but they're great. Makes the thing comfortable to hold.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on October 29, 2022, 06:24:29 PMHaving had a Steam Deck I'm now hyper aware of how annoying the lack of grips on joycons in portable mode is. Does anyone have any recommended grip options that are dockable and the joycons can be easily removed from without removing the case? Or should I just get that hori pro pad thing to always leave on the switch?

Wound up getting both Skull & Co ones, massive improvement on holding without a grip.
The newer OLED compatible one is a little less grief removing joycons from but neither feels totally issue free. The OLED model feels a lot more like the joycons are part of the system when it's all attached though due to the solid base.

Can get the original model for like a tenner and the new one for 18-20; worth a punt as a gift for your Stardew Valley addicted friend if nothing else.

Kelvin

Splatoon 3 is my GOTY at this point*, no huge changes, but it fixes every issue with the previous games, throws in a vastly improved single player, runs really well, and has basically perfected the series without making any big jumps forward.

It won't convince you if you didn't like the previous games, but if, like me, you loved Splatoon 1 and 2 but were put off by 3 being another iterative sequel, I'm happy to report its really exceeded my expectations.

*I haven't got round to playing Elden Ring on PC yet.

MrMrs

hacked mine, what are the best games.

love gris and mario

RetroRobot

Mario Odyssey
Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros U (felt like a World sequel to me and I bloody love Mario World)
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Pokemon Legends Arceus
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

There's more but those are my favs off the top of my head.

RetroRobot

Also Mario 3D All Stars if you wanna play upscale versions of 64, Sunshine and Galaxy - Admittedly you could probably get better results through emulation but it's a convenient way to play em

Pink Gregory

Quote from: MrMrs on November 13, 2022, 01:11:06 AMhacked mine, what are the best games.

love gris and mario
First party/exclusive or third party?

Because if third you've basically got the option of most games from the past 10 years.

MrMrs

how'd you get third party games?

cheers