Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,808
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:50:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan questions

Started by Bollock Chops, April 03, 2004, 08:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bollock Chops

I was looking at his page on imdb and it and a show called 'Paris', written by him and Arthur Mathews, is listed. It starred Alexei Sayle and Neil Morrissey. I vaguely remember this, but was it actually any good?

He also did the screenplay for a film called 'The Matchmaker' that came out in 1997 that starred Janeane Garofalo and Denis Leary. Anyone seen it?

I loved Paris, but it flopped terribly.  Linehan & Matthews later described it as a "classic fuck up of a first attempt".  Or something similar.

Morrisfan82

An odd thing happened with Paris, whereby Channel 4 really went to town on promoting it, I'm talking huge billboards (the only other sitcom I can currently think of that C4 did this for was series 3 of Father Ted, many moons later) and a lengthy trailer campaign. It came along, was pretty darn good as I (admittedly quite hazily) recall, but it died a death ratings-wise, and was hence perceived to be this huge flop. Expectations ran too high? I do not know...

benthalo

Linehan's always doing screenplays, or fiddling with other people's. His agency page mentions quite a few.

Paris - rotten first half to episode one which sent out all the wrong signals to me and meandered terribly, but great thereafter, albeit 'great' in a stealing-from-Black-Adder-The-Third fashion. We've raved about it on here in the past.

Late Licence repeats in 1995/96 and nothing since. I'd applaud a DVD release of that and The All New Alexei Sayle Show. Linehan & Mathews did some great work with him.

keir

Quote from: "benthalo"I'd applaud a DVD release of that and The All New Alexei Sayle Show. Linehan & Mathews did some great work with him.

yeah, so much of that was SO Linehan & Mathews...  remeber the Marquis of Granby?