Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:27:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Women in Stand-up

Started by slim, August 20, 2004, 12:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

An article has been posted on the Guardian website today here , in which Arabella Weir explores the reasons behind the imbalance of male and female performers in stand-up comedy.

I think she makes some good points, but having read the article, I can't say I agree with her.

My opinion is that there aren't as many women stand-up comediennes (is that right?) because... well, because I haven't seen any funny female stand-ups.

Don't get me wrong, that's not meant in a "women can't be funny" kind of way - I appreciate any performance I see, be it in a club, in a telly programme, or in a film, on the individual's ability to make me laugh (I'm not going to needlessly justify myself further by listing those appearances and performances that I have found funny). The fact remains, though, that I have yet to see a funny female comic that appeals to my particular appreciation of comedy.

Can anybody else offer any insight as to why? I'd also welcome recommendations if any of you have seen a female comic who made you laugh.

Jemble Fred

The only female who I would expect to make me laugh, as she always has, is Victoria Wood. Certainly as far as stand-up goes.

Fuckwittio

Gina Yashere made me laugh when I imagined what kinda noise she'd make if she skidded on a wet floor and landed on her face.

slim

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"The only female who I would expect to make me laugh, as she always has, is Victoria Wood. Certainly as far as stand-up goes.

Ah, good point. I've only ever watched her as a child when, to be fair, my sense of humour was hardly sophisticated. I think a trip down to the local library to see if they have any is in order. Ta very much.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Fuckwittio"Gina Yashere made me laugh when I imagined what kinda noise she'd make if she skidded on a wet floor and landed on her face.

If you were a lady, I think I'd add you to the list.

By the way I imagine the sound would be "Yawah-ha-her-BOOF!"

Jaffa The Cake

Most female standups have the same "men are useless" routine. So we only need one of them.

Johnny Yesno

I saw Jo Brand live about ten years ago and she was really fucking funny. I forget who else was on (except for the compere Steve Frost) but she was the best.
I also used to like Hattie Hayridge whenever her stand-up was on the telly.
Currently, that Linda Smith that was on HIGNFY seemed pretty funny. Has anyone here seen her stand-up?

splattermac

Neil posted about Sarah Silverman once upon a time, she was funny and probably still is.

looks a bit of a minger though

slim

Quote from: "Johnny Yesno"Currently, that Linda Smith that was on HIGNFY seemed pretty funny. Has anyone here seen her stand-up?

She pissed me right off, as does anyone who goes onto a show of that nature and seems to hijack it with pre-prepared routines that don't really fit. I hate people like that - casual sideways glance, addressing the audience, unable to just converse, have to act up.

Ack! I hate it! I wish I could think of more examples, but I can't.

slim

Quote from: "splattermac"Neil posted about Sarah Silverman once upon a time, she was funny and probably still is.

looks a bit of a minger though

Thanks, I will check her out if I can find something. You are kidding about the minger comment though, aren't you?

bomb_dog

Nina Conti and her monkey are a good stand-up act, but every time I've seen them on telly its usually the same routine, with Monkey shagging a pint glass.

I would like to say that she's funny per se, but there's bound to be bias as I quite fancy her as well.

Now Jo Brand, she is funny.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "bomb_dog"Nina Conti and her monkey are a good stand-up act, but every time I've seen them on telly its usually the same routine, with Monkey shagging a pint glass.

I would like to say that she's funny per se, but there's bound to be bias as I quite fancy her as well.

I was wondering how no one noticed her lips moving - they're too busy looking at her tits.

tygerbug

I'm quite fond of Julia Seinfeld, Robyn Williams and Stella Martin.

Rats

Yeah, Sarah Silverman is really good, what I've seen of here, I didn't know about her either until nelly mentioned her name. Who's that wife who looks like the second holly of red dwarf and is always on have I got news for you and she was on room 101 saying harry potter is shit and hung around with steve punt for a bit for some unknown reason? I really like her.

neveragain

That's Linda Smith who was mentioned above.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

There are loads of funny women performing comedy, I don't know why anyone ever claims there isn't. If anything, women tend to be less conservative than men, throwing lotrs of 'What the fuck?' line/moments into the mix. Doon Mackichan's Doon Your Way series was a good example of this; ditto Morwenna Banks, possibly the funniest woman ever to walk the earth. The Nualas were the last comedy team I can remember getting really excited about - I used to watch them in complete awe, trying to work out how they did it. There's Lorraine Bowen, who's hilarious. Rebecca Front has a depth/naturalness to her acting which hasn't been bettered since.

Unfortunately, the bad/bland ones (Lucy Porter, Donna MacPhail, Gina Yashere) tend to get singled out as examples. But that happens with men too.

slim

Thanks very much for the suggestions everyone, I'll be keeping an eye out for them.

Xander

Nina Conti? Was that the one from Black Books, series 2 episode 1, where she is interested in Bernard? The name rings a bell...

ColinBradshaw

Lets face it, lads, women just aren't funny at all.

The only lady to raise an occasional chuckle from me is Jo Brand. She's naturally funny. All the rest of them come across as if they're trying too hard.

Rebecca Front and Sally Philips are probably the only two women to have ever made me laugh properly, and Sally only when she's doing other peoples material.

Women just aren't as funny as men.

women can be as funny as men, they just make for shite stand-up comedians for some reason.

My female friends have as good a sense of humour as my male ones, and are just as witty and observant. This makes it all the more confusing as to why there are so few good female stand-ups. There's just something about it that makes it more suited to a male way of thinking. The only exception I can think of is Jo Brand. Fuck knows the reasons why though.....

Sarah Silverman was in School of Rock. Which was quite a funny movie because of Jack Black. But not because of Sarah Silverman, she didn't add one single tiny bit of comedy to the procedings.

Agreed, I loved Sarah Silverman when she was in The Larry Sanders Show (but then I love everything about that series), but in School of Rock she had a one note and rather tragically weak part.

I saw Mandy Knight a couple of times, and really liked her the first time, but it soon became apparent that her whole act was along the lines of 'I'm a big old slag who likes drinking spunk' and it got all too tiresome too quickly.

Quote from: "Badly Drawn Hamster"...but in School of Rock she had a one note and rather tragically weak part.

Same with the headteacher. I forget the actress... The Jack Black character and most of the kids were reasonably well developed characters, the geeky flatmate was a poorly developed character, with a hint of a backstory. But the girlfriend wasn't well rounded at all. No character development, she didn't change from the events of the film, and finally (and most importantly) not funny. I can't think of any other characters who were'nt, at least on occasion, humourous.

Which is a shame. She could've had a couple of comedy rants or something... I dunno.

The headteacher was the normally wonderful Joan Cusack (Sister of John), and I agree, so much more could have been done with the character, especially considering how talented an actress she is. It really annoys me that she seems to get so little work considering how good she is too.

I was surprised to notice that the geeky flatmate (Mike White, I think) actually wrote the film too, you'd think he'd have given himself a better part considering, and also that Richard Linklater directed it, as most of his work is far more quirky and intelligent.

I don't think that a bigger part for Mike White would have been better for the film though. It was a very funny extension of Jack Black's persona, and I think that Mike White's role was just enough to do what it needed to, and be amusing on top of that - no more than that.

My thought is that the Sarah Silverman role should have been funnier - not necessarilarly bigger. And a little hint of what she was like AFTER seeing the Jack Black character showing his worth.

hamburger3

WHO: Sarah Silverman

WHAT: Comedy Performance and Filming

WHEN: September 23 & 24, 2004

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Actress/Comedian Sarah Silverman
will perform her hit one-woman show "Jesus is Magic" at The El Portal Theater
in Los Angeles September 23rd and 24th. The comedian recently inked a deal
with Interscope records for a feature length film based on her hit
off-Broadway show, and will be filming these shows for theatrical release.
The film will be a combination of comedy concert, music videos and filmic
narrative digressions.
Silverman, currently stars in the Trio network's "Pilot Season." She
recently co-starred opposite Jack Black in "School of Rock" for Paramount.
She also lends her voice to the successful Comedy Central show, "Crank
Yankers."

Show info

September 23rd and 24th
8:00 pm
The El Portal Theatre
5269 Lankershim Blvd.
North Hollywood

Excellent.  I cant wait to see her live show.

Quote from: "Women just aren't as funny as men.[/quote

Stand ups Lucy Porter, Susan Murray, Karen Bayley, Miranda Hart, Lizzie Roper, Jo Caulfield, Joanna Neary give a pretty good argument as to why the above statement is wrong.

Darrell

Quote from: "the scarlet avenger"

Quote"Women just aren't as funny as men.

Stand ups Lucy Porter, Susan Murray, Karen Bayley, Miranda Hart, Lizzie Roper, Jo Caulfield, Joanna Neary give a pretty good argument as to why the above statement is wrong.

You are wrong. Rebecca Front, Morwenna Banks, Pamela Stephenson, Victoria Wood, Eleanor Bron, Helen Atkinson-Wood and Doon MacKichan do instead.

they aren't all stand ups though