Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:37:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Fools and 3 Courses

Started by chocolate teapot, February 28, 2015, 12:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

yeah. the point of the original CaB joke is that a miscarriage story was completely inappropriate in tone for a light-hearted Cockney wheeler-dealer comedy because it is genuinely terrible. ironically we turned it into a much more crass joke. we need to draw a line under it. and ive done my fair share of tags and references to it. sorry.

Ferris

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on June 16, 2022, 10:05:51 PMI echo that for the record, even before having baby on the way, the blunt misscarage posting makes me think twice about coming into the OFAH threads, which is a shame as there is some fucking funny stuff in here

Same as ferris, carry on if you like, you must do what you think is right

Well I'm not the arbiter of taste, but there's a danger of making "edgy" gags that are essentially mid-00s "dead baby" gags with the added bonus that 20%+ of pregnancies end in miscarriage so the pain is more wide-ranging and far less societally acceptable (or even well-known).

I feel like I've done a decent job of not imposing my view on people - I'm not saying what anyone should or shouldn't do, but from experience the pain of going for a pregnancy scan, then feeling like something isn't quite right from the reactions you get but fuck it you're so excited anyway! And no one will join you in that... and they all stay tight-lipped and deal with you as quickly as possible, then weeks later some poor fucker has to tell you... it's awful.

I went through a period of grief for probably 6+ months that I just couldn't explain to anyone, and the pain it caused myself and my partner has indelibly altered us. We will not be the people we were before the experience. There is no fixing it . I am scarred by it, really, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Just typing this has really upset me if I honest (I'm in tears as I write this due to the memory), and I'm tasteless and irreverent enough that I post on CaB. I'm just asking that people think about what they're saying before chucking a shitty no-value gag in a thread with no consideration.

All that said - I can't tell people what to do and wouldn't dream of it. Anyway. Sorry, I'm sure it's not really a huge deal, just wanted to get it out there and hope nobody feels guilty or anything.

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 16, 2022, 10:49:37 PMyeah. the point of the original CaB joke is that a miscarriage story was completely inappropriate in tone for a light-hearted Cockney wheeler-dealer comedy because it is genuinely terrible. ironically we turned it into a much more crass joke. we need to draw a line under it. and ive done my fair share of tags and references to it. sorry.

I'm really sorry if you felt like this was me being a prick - it isn't at all (well, anymore than usual), and I totally get why the initial idea works as a joke.

It's such an overly serious thing to sneak into a program about grandad in the war and dropping chandeliers. It's mad! Fuck is that all about!

It's just something I've been thinking about and I'm glad I mentioned it and am really thankful that the quality of posters on here are willing to consider my silly personal impositions. CaB warms the human heart, sometimes.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Ferris on June 16, 2022, 11:32:28 PMI'm really sorry if you felt like this was me being a prick - it isn't at all (well, anymore than usual), and I totally get why the initial idea works as a joke.

It's such an overly serious thing to sneak into a program about grandad in the war and dropping chandeliers. It's mad! Fuck is that all about!

It's just something I've been thinking about and I'm glad I mentioned it and am really thankful that the quality of posters on here are willing to consider my silly personal impositions. CaB warms the human heart, sometimes.
you're not absolutely not. I recall other posters have aired their displeasure with it recently and it really needs to stop completely, even allusions like "miscarriage of justice". it's genuinely beyond a joke now.

if you laughed at it in the past, fine. but from now on, look to make a new joke

edit ps to reinforce im as guilty as anyone. its shitty and unfunny and well, I'm sorry

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 16, 2022, 10:49:37 PMyeah. the point of the original CaB joke is that a miscarriage story was completely inappropriate in tone for a light-hearted Cockney wheeler-dealer comedy because it is genuinely terrible. ironically we turned it into a much more crass joke. we need to draw a line under it. and ive done my fair share of tags and references to it. sorry.

yeah. I find references to it funny specifically because I relate it to talking about the scene with my friends and us all being in utter disbelief at what we'd seen. and the years of jokes about it that followed. it filled the same space as Lie Bot stories from Achewood

in my head its been the acme of comically insensitive or manipulative media for decades. how low and pointlessly cruel tv goes when it wants to manufacture a sentimental moment. so god knows how jokey references to look without a quarter century of context.

Glebe

Quote from: Ferris on June 16, 2022, 11:26:25 PMI went through a period of grief for probably 6+ months that I just couldn't explain to anyone, and the pain it caused myself and my partner has indelibly altered us. We will not be the people we were before the experience. There is no fixing it . I am scarred by it, really, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Just typing this has really upset me if I honest (I'm in tears as I write this due to the memory)

Aw Ferris mate big hugs. You're a forum fave and no mistake.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 17, 2022, 12:09:14 AMyeah. I find references to it funny specifically because I relate it to talking about the scene with my friends and us all being in utter disbelief at what we'd seen. and the years of jokes about it that followed. it filled the same space as Lie Bot stories from Achewood

in my head its been the acme of comically insensitive or manipulative media for decades. how low and pointlessly cruel tv goes when it wants to manufacture a sentimental moment. so god knows how jokey references to look without a quarter century of context.
some of achewood seems inappropriate now too twenty years later. suicide baiting and all that. don't censor it and enjoy it all in context, but also move on, and make new jokes

idunnosomename

this is weightier than drew cameron could ever envisage

Ferris

I'm really sorry to have mucked about with the formula - I'd make a gag here but I don't really have anything to add.

Thank you for being so nice about it all and I'm sorry for being so sensitive - I do it only because I remember how visceral the pain was and how ubiquitous it might be without anyone knowing.

I'll stop being a killjoy in here, promise.

Much love x

PlanktonSideburns

Joy that you bought this up for me as I get to enjoy the British version of simpsonposting I'd this comes off

JamesTC

Nobody ever mentions the fact that Cassandra did later give birth. What's more is it was to Joan Trotter, Rodney and Del's mother, who was sent back in time by Rodney to be the matriarch of the family in the spin-off Rock & Chips.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 17, 2022, 12:34:05 AMsome of achewood seems inappropriate now too twenty years later. suicide baiting and all that. don't censor it and enjoy it all in context, but also move on, and make new jokes

its the attitude to asian people that spoils the early stuff for me, if anything could conceivably spoil it

but yeah never censor achewood. that's a bit like censoring warner brothers shorts: occassionally dated in a truly horrible way but also the greatest works of humanity. preserve but absolutely coat in warnings and keep out of reach of children

Ferris

Quote from: JamesTC on June 17, 2022, 08:40:48 AMNobody ever mentions the fact that Cassandra did later give birth. What's more is it was to Joan Trotter, Rodney and Del's mother, who was sent back in time by Rodney to be the matriarch of the family in the spin-off Rock & Chips.

The existence of Rock & Chips was entirely unknown to me until last week. The whole concept feels like a fever dream.

JamesTC

Quote from: Ferris on June 17, 2022, 11:49:40 AMThe existence of Rock & Chips was entirely unknown to me until last week. The whole concept feels like a fever dream.

Considering the ratings, you weren't alone.

Put it this way, you won't be seeing a Rock & Fish & Chips dinner and entertainment. A young kid going round selling hooky gear and chatting up women 40 years older than him. A tall guy pretending to be Gary Sparrow. A woman to be there and tell people stuff on her deathbed.

idunnosomename

What about a The Green Green Grass dining experience?

JamesTC

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 17, 2022, 12:27:09 PMWhat about a The Green Green Grass dining experience?

David Ross is available. Unfortunately he is playing Marlene.

Ferris

I didn't realize there was a whole Trotter Extended Universe - someone should snap up the rights to a DCI Slater/CSI: Peckham, quick!

JamesTC

Quote from: Ferris on June 17, 2022, 12:46:41 PMI didn't realize there was a whole Trotter Extended Universe - someone should snap up the rights to a DCI Slater/CSI: Peckham, quick!

You'd never heard of The Green Green Grass either?

I'd actually marginally defend it. It was chock full of lazy stereotypes but it was mildly entertaining.

That being said, the only plot I can remember is when Boycie accidentally buys a gay bull.

badaids

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 17, 2022, 12:27:09 PMWhat about a The Green Green Grass dining experience?

Fuck that. What about a The Two Of Us dining experience?

Ferris

I was dimly aware of GGG but with R&C in the mix, there's a whole Trotterverse.

With a few more spin-offs, we'll get Trotterheads driving 3-wheeled vans to conferences and spouting lore and catchphrases at each other.

badaids

Quote from: Ferris on June 17, 2022, 01:30:08 PMI was dimly aware of GGG but with R&C in the mix, there's a whole Trotterverse.

With a few more spin-offs, we'll get Trotterheads driving 3-wheeled vans to conferences and spouting lore and catchphrases at each other.

Bloody hell I never knew there was an OFAH prequel. Has anyone on here seen it and can tell us about it? I assume it's utter bollocks.

JamesTC

Quote from: badaids on June 17, 2022, 01:33:44 PMBloody hell I never knew there was an OFAH prequel. Has anyone on here seen it and can tell us about it? I assume it's utter bollocks.

I saw the first two episodes. They billed it as a comedy drama because it wasn't funny.

JamesTC

Quote from: Ferris on June 17, 2022, 01:30:08 PMWith a few more spin-offs, we'll get Trotterheads driving 3-wheeled vans to conferences and spouting lore and catchphrases at each other.

They already do that. Although the extent of the catchphrases is mostly just shouting "Gary" over and over again or saying stuff in French.

Ferris

Quote from: JamesTC on June 17, 2022, 01:36:07 PMI saw the first two episodes. They billed it as a comedy drama because it wasn't funny.

Should have included a post-credit sequence hinting at a universe crossover with Steptoe and Son.

Would have got them posting on the forums. Missed a trick.

H-O-W-L

Am I alright to keep making jokes about the Only Fools gang being cyberpunk balkan war veterans with PTSD from seeing the Ugzmeki Line decimated by orbital MAC guns? Nobody ever laughs but it always makes me happy.

petril

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds episode where they find a colony that's based itself on old copies of OFAH

B-Plot where Spock and M'Benga have to convince a whole Albert caste that there's never been a war since the planet was settled 40 years ago, while preventing a war starting between them and the Grandads over who gets to fall down the stairs

Video Game Fan 2000

Larry David accidentally invites Del Boy to a funeral.

PlanktonSideburns

Birds of a feather firing squad experience

Ferris

When the Whistle Blows dining experience.

Is he having a laugh? Answer: no.

kalowski

Quote from: Ferris on June 17, 2022, 12:46:41 PMI didn't realize there was a whole Trotter Extended Universe - someone should snap up the rights to a DCI Slater/CSI: Peckham, quick!
The Falcon and the Winter Trotter