Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:30:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The gospel according to Bill Hicks

Started by non capisco, October 01, 2004, 01:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

butnut

Quote from: "non capisco"See, Butnut's going for the 'confused dollar'. That's a big market, he's very smart etc.

Hehe. I like that. 'Confused Dollar' is quite a good username.

Robot Devil

Sorry butnut, yes, I was talking about Mit.

butnut

Quote from: "Robot Devil"Sorry butnut, yes, I was talking about Mit.

No worres. Sorry to all for my confusion!

slim

This reminds me of the scene in Fawlty Towers, The Hotel Inspector episode, where Basil is confusing Bernard Cribbins' character at his restaurant table by conducting a purposefully misdirected conversation with Polly :)

Mit

im so pleased to be the target of such a presumptive generalisation, and at the same time taking on the role of Polly from Fawlty Towers.

butnut

I've always wanted to be Bernard Cribbins.

TJ

Quote from: "butnut"I've always wanted to be Bernard Cribbins.

The comic film actor, voiceover artist or purveyor of fine comedy songs?

butnut

Quote from: "TJ"

Ha! You got me. I wouldn't mind having his money. I presume he does/did alright. (Is he still alive? I honestly don't know.)

Godzilla Bankrolls

Cribbins is still alive. Well, he appeared in that Tim Firth-scripted, Mel Smith-directed, Johnny Vegas-as-a-fat-man-from-St-Helens-starring Blackball last year.

chand says something above about people forgetting the WIllie Nelson part of that routine, too. Doesn't quite fit in with the whole Soothesayer image, does it?

Mr Colossal

I posted my opinions on his advertising comment near the end of the last  big 'Bill Hicks' topic (which incidentally is still on this page)  and didn't get mcuh of a response... I will say exactly the same again.

Quote from: "Mr Colossal"
Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Ah, ie something we can definitely disprove. If you agree with Hicks, then you believe that the following people:

Peter Cook
Dudley Moore
Vic Reeves
Bob Mortimer
Stephen Fry
Hugh Laurie
Armando Ianucci
Peter Baynham
Steve Coogan
Salman Rushdie
Toulouse Lautrec

...Just for a start, are 'off the artistic register', (whatever the fuck that is Hicks, you dead twat) or otherwise creatively null and void.

You are wrong. Now please leave.

I think anybody with an ounce of intelligence should be able to come up with their own conclusions on his material... Which is what i think his act was about, trying to get your 'joe public' to develop their own concious opinion on current events.

'' I tell people what a twat bush is, they laugh, and they still go and fuckin vote him''

With the advertising rant, I got the message 'stop the guy with the cold hard cash being right' not that 'advertising is evil', and that everybody involved should be culled or whatever. The 'what have you done today honey? Oh nothing, we just made rat poison a childrens food' quote would some that up for me... The artistic rollcall thing was a bit extreme, but would have emphasised his point, and Hicks's angry persona.

Besides, how many of the above names are known nationwide, and role models for the genral public? It is only small minority  like us that know and worship said people.

E.g.  Ianucci being involved with a pot noodle advert isn't going to have quite the same effect as 'Im david beckham and i drink pepsi'.

I like bill hicks, personally i preffered his more phisical jokes 'prankster god' stands out, and his talents with the mic were quite impressive. I dont agree with the whole 'martyr' following who hang on his every word, as a lot of his views on drugs especially are not realistic, even if admittedly was what first drew me to him as a naive teenager... His material has still majoritavely aged really well, and his stuff on the war is still relivent today. It would be nice to see whether he would have emerged in profile if he was stil alive today post 9/11, as there isn't many non-publicity stunt orientated voices challenging the powers (not that iv gone out of my way to find any, if i add)

My only qualms on Hicks, is that his material is very repetetive. I have 2 dvds and have read love all the people, but the 5-6 sets are basically the same routine chopped and changed very slightly. The few letters and the interviews are more interesting.

yes im a lazy bastard.

dj_bollocks

Quote from: "TJ"

Definitely for the v/o in The Perishers....

alan strang

Quote from: "dj_bollocks"Definitely for the v/o in The Perishers....

That was Leonard Rossiter.

Stereotype X

Quote from: "non capisco"NON CAPISCO PLAYS DEVIL'S ADVOCATE #1
Does anyone really see the guy in real life turning on the TV, seeing McCartney's 'Getting Better' advertising Phillips products and then burning his Beatles records screaming 'off the artisitic rollcall!' quote]

Paul McCartney was never on the artistic roll call (Frog Chorus), you're thinking of John Lennon.

And yes I did burn all my Beatles Records, but that was more to do with me accidentally becoming a Born Again Right Wing Fundamentalist Christian.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Stereotype X"Paul McCartney was never on the artistic roll call (Frog Chorus), you're thinking of John Lennon.

I'm laughing at you.

Darrell

Quote from: "Stereotype X"Paul McCartney was never on the artistic roll call (Frog Chorus)

*quietly fumes in corner*

Stereotype X

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"
Quote from: "Stereotype X"Paul McCartney was never on the artistic roll call (Frog Chorus), you're thinking of John Lennon.

I'm laughing at you.

Going by some of  your previous posts, I imagine it would have been more of an overtly pretentious guffaw.

Stereotype X

And the thread killer claims his first victim.

Btw - that final score again

Paul McCartney 2 v 2040 John Lennon