Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,805
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:32:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

In Bed With Me Dinner - torrent

Started by Tom Hedonist, October 01, 2004, 10:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Hedonist

Hello folks,
Following on from the thread a couple of weeks ago regarding Bob Mills' early 90's tv show, "In Bed With Me Dinner":

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4659&highlight=bed+dinner

I've dug out my old vhs copy of the Best Of video that accompanied the series, and encoded it using DivX 5.02. The video lasts about an hour and ten minutes, and the file size is a tad over 475Mb. Once again, whilst the quality isn't exactly "dvd", it's more than watchable.

You can find the torrent here:
http://www.hedonists.org/torrent/

Same rules as last week :) Please keep your torrent active for at least as long as it takes you to download the file... and get on it fast, as I'll probably take it down about Thursday, so that I can scratch around trying to encode something else.

BTW, apologies to all those who were expecting me to keep my promise of torrenting Bedazzled this week. I was feeling contrary, and didn't fancy sitting through another-bloody-Peter-Cook-movie a dozen times :)

I'm as certain as I can be that this time everything should work first time around :)

Tokyo Sexwhale

Cheers for that,  although, I'll probably never get it all if it's only up until Thursday.  Is it the earlier series, or the "Avengers"-themed "Still In Bed With MeDinner"?

And who still hasn't seen "Bedazzled"?

Tom Hedonist

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"Cheers for that,  although, I'll probably never get it all if it's only up until Thursday.

How long do you reckon it'd take to you download this file? I might be persuaded to let it run for a day or two longer :)

QuoteIs it the earlier series, or the "Avengers"-themed "Still In Bed With MeDinner"?

I think this comes from the first series. I remember the Avengers stuff, but there's none of it contained within. The tape includes Paul Sykes, the kids on The Knock, the horrible growling man and many, many more. A few parts have been filmed at the village where The Prisoner was filmed. I think these were done especially for the video - to my mind they're the weakest bits.

QuoteAnd who still hasn't seen "Bedazzled"?

"Lots!"

Tones

Cheers for this Tom, it's been years since i've watched it. I'll jump on in a day or two, and I will seed for as long as possible. Thanks a lot mate!

gazzyk1ns

Yes, cheers Tom - my memories of the show seem to be different to those of most other people, so I'll eagerly grab this (and seed it for a while after as thanks, of course!)

lardboy

Tom, you are a prince among men!  Many thanks.

My system's predicting only 5 hours or so to download, and I'll keep it open for the next few days.

mcbpete

Thanks a lot man....I never caught this the first time round so should be interesting to watch this without any kind of preconceptions of it.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "Tom Hedonist"
Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"Cheers for that,  although, I'll probably never get it all if it's only up until Thursday.

How long do you reckon it'd take to you download this file? I might be persuaded to let it run for a day or two longer :)

Well when I started trying to download it, my client was reporting that it would take about 18 hours.

Unfortunately, the state of my PC at the moment makes it highly unlikely it would keep running for that long, as it keeps crashing randomly and for no apparent reason.

Added to that, my client "ABC" is refusing to work.

Tom Hedonist

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"

Well when I started trying to download it, my client was reporting that it would take about 18 hours.
That's only about 15% of the time the file is still available for. You've got loads of time :)

QuoteUnfortunately, the state of my PC at the moment makes it highly unlikely it would keep running for that long, as it keeps crashing randomly and for no apparent reason.

Unless it's falling apart every five minutes, it shouldn't stop you from resuming the downlaod.

QuoteAdded to that, my client "ABC" is refusing to work.

Try another client. I've always found burst to be quite good, or if you want all the bells and whistles, I don't think you can go far wrong with Azureus:
http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Tokyo Sexwhale

Well I've downloaded the latest version of ABC and there's a few people seeding it, so it's bombing along now.

Rev

Yep, many thanks Tom.  Just finished watching it and it's as laid-back and lovely as I remember it being.  That's the thing that worked with this one; you never got the impression that Mills or any of the writers were busting a gut to entertain you.

Not sure I understand the thing about taking the torrent off in a few days...  will you be destroying the torrent, or can the rest of us keep seeding the thing?

Tom Hedonist

Quote from: "Rev"Yep, many thanks Tom.  Just finished watching it and it's as laid-back and lovely as I remember it being.  That's the thing that worked with this one; you never got the impression that Mills or any of the writers were busting a gut to entertain you.
It's lovely, isn't it. I think he's got "the chat" just right. So that you (almost) feel as if you really are one of his mates, round his house. It'd be a cliche if I said the video clips are the real stars of the show. But I'm nothing if not hackneyed.

QuoteNot sure I understand the thing about taking the torrent off in a few days...  will you be destroying the torrent, or can the rest of us keep seeding the thing?
Without swearing, you could always set up yer own fucking tracker once I'm done with it :)

Errm, I didn't really want to get into this. But...
The tracker is setup on my pc, rather than out there in cyberspruce. When I capture new material I turn off my firewall and my antivirus+antitrojan+antispyware+ipfiltering progs. Thus leaving me naked to the bastard exploiters (soz, I refuse to call them hackers, cause they aint!). Natch, whilst I'm capturing/encoding/audio-ing/re-encoding etc, I don't connect to the net, and so the tracker isn't available for the best part of a day. So far it's just been easier for me to track one file at a time.

I'm not really looking to "Relase" these files as such - if I was, to be honest I'd probably use the eMule network. BitTorrent gives me a very good way of sharing a few videos with a handful of 'mates', who I know will appreciate them. I realise that people on dial-up connections are missing out on these files. I'm genuinely sorry for that. I'd be only too happy if someone else would make these files available, on alternative networks and/or private ftps, which would better suit those with download restrictions. Though I'd rather my torrents weren't posted to SuprNova, etc. If you want to create *your* *own* torrents, and upload them to a tracker of *your* chosing, I really don't mind :)
Whatever you do, do share!

I suppose when I seed something new, I could continue to track the previous torrents; if I allowed others to take on the responsibility of seeding these older files. I could then continue to dedicate my bandwidth to uploading the new file (at least until there were several seeds - I'd like to get back to downloading something, at somepoint). In this way, the overheads of just tracking the older files shouldn't be too great.

If anyone sees any fatal flaws in this plan, or alternatively is willing to carry on seeding this and/or the Michael Rimmer file, please let me know.

Rev

I should point out that I have absolutely no Idea how these things work, and any attempt on my part to set up a tracker would almost certainly result in flooding and flipped-over double-decker buses.  I kind of get what you mean about not wanting to 'release' your encodes, but as this is a public forum you'll always have idiots like me slavering over them.

Tom Hedonist

Was browsing another forum today, when oddly Paul Sykes was mentioned. It seems in the early 90's he released an autobiography.

Amazon have it advertised, but don't have any copies at the moment - just their usual lies about being able to supply it in a couple of days.

Don't suppose anyone here has read it?

steevbishop

Just begun my download. Nice and fast. Will be sure to keep it open until at least 1.5 share, probably more (all my Blue Jam torrents surpassed 2.6 which is exceedingly generous of me).

My thanks to you, good sir.

Tom Hedonist

At present there's no-one downlaoding this torrent, so I'm going to pull it. This will allow me to get on and capture/encode Bedazzled.

Many thanks to all those who have helped to seed this file.

If anyone doesn't have a full copy, please mention it in this thread and I'll retorrent it. In mentioning it here, rather than sending me a PM, hopefully a kind soul or two will be persuaded to continue seeding the file, as I'll probably be devoting most of my bandwidth to Bedazzled.

Purple Tentacle

Oh by the way, thanks so much for giving me a genuine stomach ache of laughter, something I haven't had for a while.  And yes, the funniest thing I've seen for a good year is an alcoholic wife-beater.

"Now when you're on telly, it's good to have a catchphrase.  There's 'Nice to see you, to see you nice', 'I'm free'.... this man has chosen an interesting catchphrase..."

"FFfffffuuuuck offff!!!!!! It's dead!!!"

Neil

Yes, thanks muchly for encoding and seeding this Tom, great stuff.  Either hadn't seen most of it, or simply couldn't remember any.  The way he sets up some of the clips is great, really makes them that much funnier.  Really enjoyed the "knockers," ooh what a palaver.

"Punch 'im in the fookin' earhole."

Purple Tentacle

It's weird, I watched it while the lady of the house was asleep as I knew she wouldn't let me watch it (I wish I was gay), and it took me a good half-an-hour to "get" it again.... I used to love it when it was on originally, but for some insane reason when I was watching it the other night I was thinking "this is a bit crap after all"...... but then, it grew on me, and by the time it finished I "rewound" (what's the proper term for 'clicking earlier on the timeline in Media Player'?)... it's very much like arriving at a house party, it takes you half an hour to get settled, then it suddenly gets good.  Unless you go to any house party in Clapham.

As you say, it's the set-ups to the videos that make you feel so.... chummy..... back to back the clips would be fairly mediocre, but he makes it all so much fun to watch.

"Mmm, I'm just enjoying a bowl of Pescamumbaflambescon".

I like the incredibly tacky re-enactments as well, reminded me of Fantasy Football at its peak.

Tom Hedonist

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle""FFfffffuuuuck offff!!!!!! It's dead!!!"

It's what he says a minute or two after that always gets me, but I don't think Mills picks up on it. After his mate continually asks "What's the matter?" The drunken growler says "You let that twat open the door to me."

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Tom Hedonist"It's what he says a minute or two after that always gets me, but I don't think Mills picks up on it. After his mate continually asks "What's the matter?" The drunken growler says "You let that twat open the door to me."

He does! He stops and rewinds the tape to listen to his "perfectly reasonable explanation as to why he's been BEASTLY to that woman".

"Would you advise anybody to throw themselves into the river?"
"A massive star of the sixties, and an even bigger star of the ei......"

"Your mum's got damp in her passage?"

hamburger3

If anyone can re-seed this I would appreciate it. I watched this all the time years ago and would love to see it again.

Neil

I'll reopen now, I closed it when there was no more traffic for ages, unfortunately I don't have much memory on my PC and can't run much at once.  Some of the sketches in this are a little flat, but there's a certain charm to seeing him carrying on the bullshitter sthick and waving to a busload of his love-children "That's what you get when you go to Wales for the weekend."  I will never understand why ITV2 can't run repeats of this kind of stuff instead of bloody Trisha or the like.

Neil

I can't get connected to the tracker, Tom might have taken it down?  I'll leave it open anyway, I think that our puters might find each other eventually regardless.

hamburger3

OK.

I will leave it open and see what happens.

hamburger3

Im going to shut my download as the tracker has gone.

Oh well.

mrs spinktrimpet

Brilliant. The drunk 'man from nowhere' in Oxford or Cambridge is classic.