Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:00:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spamelot?!

Started by Munday's Chylde, February 18, 2004, 01:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Click HERE for Python: The musical.

Jemble Fred

Hm. I'd probably enjoy seeing this, especially after a big smoke, but the title alone illustrates exactly why Erc Idle really needs to have a little injection and a long old sleep, to be put out of his pain at last.

Got to be better than the French Python show anyway... And it should put a few quid Neil Innes' way. If not, there'll be trouble.

jutl

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"...but the title alone illustrates exactly why Erc Idle really needs to have a little injection and a long old sleep, to be put out of his pain at last.

"I like the title SPAMELOT a lot," the ever-promoting Idle stated in a release, "but I was thinking it might be smart to ask audiences on my upcoming U.S. tour if they liked it as much as I do. After all, they are the ones who will be paying Broadway prices to see the show. So there's a good chance the title may change."

from http://www.playbill.com/news/article/82413.html

I think it's a shit idea. At least The Producers had a theatrical theme, and a real plot. To quote Morrissey, the devil will make work for Idle's hands to do.

Pinball

Idle's milked the songs for all their worth, surely? More power to him, but surely what we really want is a feature film reunion of the surviving members, rather than an Eric Idle Show rendition? If there was a new Python feature film, what should it be about......?

IMO they should take on the major institutions that stultify and dominate our lives. They've already done Jesus, public schools, war, class system and loads more. What is left? Or should they stick to the surreal? As much as I ingest politics, escapism is also nice.

Frankly anything by that high class comedy team should be mighty fine. As long as Gilliam does some cartoons. Ideally, they would also include a CGI Chapman - now that would be cool :-)

"This is just silly"

Blue Jam

Quote from: "Pinball"IMO they should take on the major institutions that stultify and dominate our lives. They've already done Jesus, public schools, war, class system and loads more. What is left? Or should they stick to the surreal? As much as I ingest politics, escapism is also nice.

I remember reading somewhere that one idea they came up with was a film on the Russian Revolution- I always liked the Cleese/Chapman stuff about left-wing political groups (the PFJ, "Help, I'm being repressed", etc) so it could have been fantastic. I think this was in something about the film they were discussing just before Chapman died.

As for the surviving five... well, Bush, Blair and the military are very easy targets that have been done a thousand times before, and sadly they all agreed that the one religion they'd never get involved with is Islam, which is a shame. They also suggested making a film about a reunion of the Knight of the Round Table, with the bones of Arthur kept in a box as a relic. Watching Terry Jones' Medieval Lives this week, I wondered if they could do a follow-up to Life of Brian, with a team of archaelogists- or perhaps followers of Brian on a pilgrimmage, looking for relics, and finding things like the remains of Brian's graffiti on the palace, or the Virgin Mandy's knitting.

Then again, it would probably be best if Cleese and Idle just retired...

Edited after I realised I had just typed "alla greed", which sounds a bit like "Allah greed" and is just asking for trouble...an Islamic Life of Brian would not be a good idea...

Pinball

An Islamic satire would be superb. The fact that they would never dare do such a movie illustrates how little we've changed since the 70s when Life of Brian "shocked" the religious dickheads in our society.

"Why can't I be a suicide bomber, mummy?"

Ah, the potential. But then, they'd better not do it if they want long retirements...

So instead let's have yet another show with Idle singing the old songs, and capitalising in a (literally) singular fashion on the "team's" efforts.