Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:35:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on March 30, 2022, 10:11:46 AMGoodies are hiding from a baddie who passes by only to reappear the moment they emerge from hiding.

And similarly... Goodies who emerge literally seconds after the baddie had passed.  Stay hidden a few minutes more!  He's literally right fucking there and he's going to hear you, you idiots!

kalowski

Film opens in a space ship or jet plane. Pilot doing the usual stuff when suddenly an alert goes off. We're in danger!!
Pilot attempts to sort the problem, hopefully aided by mission control but to no avail. Overload is inevitable. Everything goes wrong. The ship is gonna blow and...
Blam! The house lights go on. It's a simulation. And we're only three days from the real mission. You screwed up...again!

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on March 09, 2022, 08:26:51 PMAnother!

Modern superhero films have made use of what I've been calling "Featured Victim"
Roland Emmerich fucking looooooves these.  It's normally a small girl who's a cancer patient, or if he's feeling adventurous a pregnant mother.  Basically pick any of his films and you'll spot at least one.

Independence Day it's the Presidents Wife, Day after tomorrow is a literal child cancer patient.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on March 09, 2022, 08:26:51 PMAnother!

Modern superhero films have made use of what I've been calling "Featured Victim" - a person or small group of people who are followed throughout the typically messy climax to add a human element to all that crumbling CGI brickwork. First became aware of it in The Avengers where Ashley Johnson (Recess, What Women Want and The Last Of Us) played a waitress caught in the midst of an alien invasion in New York, initially the subject of a few camera shots with no dialogue and later a wee post-battle testimonial on the news.

Whedon used this again with a family of peasants for his version of Justice League and there's a wee lad who keeps being featured throughout the new Batman after suffering a tragedy (although here it has the added frisson of "could this be Robin?")

Any older examples of this or from outside comic films? Would work also in disaster movies but typically those follow a group the whole way through, as opposed to the condensed disasters at the end of modern comics blockbusters.

He didn't even have to wait as long as Justice League, as Whedon also did it in Age of Ultron, with a gratuitously cleavaged young mother whose kid is saved from gunfire

olliebean

That new Michelle Yeoh one looks good, though.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: kalowski on April 04, 2022, 12:08:09 PMFilm opens in a space ship or jet plane. Pilot doing the usual stuff when suddenly an alert goes off. We're in danger!!

I love that I knew what this one was going to be just from this.

Sebastian Cobb

I don't mind that but if it pulls back to reveal it's a simulator then GET TO FUCK.

kalowski

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 06, 2022, 11:24:06 PMI don't mind that but if it pulls back to reveal it's a simulator then GET TO FUCK.
Please do not read my whole post, then!

Quote from: popcorn on September 25, 2017, 04:20:35 PMWhen a woman has a wank, it's empowering, liberating, and rebellious.

When a bloke has a wank, he's pathetic.

I want wanking equality.

In other words, no more wanking ranking.

Brian Freeze

Overhead shots of people bleeding on black and white tiles can do one. Especially in this day and age.

ProvanFan

Quote from: ProvanFan on August 04, 2021, 09:41:30 PMThose summers we'd spend 

I don't actually mind this, if anything I find the sound quite satisfying. Following it up with two friends lying on their backs in the grass though, with some pause-heavy dialogue about the future and staying best buds for life, that's a bit much.

Top bit of fence-work near the start of The Black Phone

Innocence is about to be lost

beanheadmcginty

Getting really bored of fights in/out the back of cargo planes. Seems like I've seen a good dozen of them this year alone. And none of them are as good as the original Timothy Dalton one.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 17, 2022, 02:28:30 AMGetting really bored of fights in/out the back of cargo planes. Seems like I've seen a good dozen of them this year alone. And none of them are as good as the original Timothy Dalton one.
I wonder if they're all shot in the back of the same plane, in the same studio. Definitely common, but quite often fun, especially if they end with someone freefalling out the back and surviving, or something equally stupid. Also, someone holding up two parachutes and jumping out with both of them (I think the Simpsons did this best.)

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 17, 2022, 02:28:30 AMGetting really bored of fights in/out the back of cargo planes. Seems like I've seen a good dozen of them this year alone. And none of them are as good as the original Timothy Dalton one.

The one in Moonraker was quite good, though that was in a passenger plane.

Stonefish

Any time they recreate The Last Supper. Although it seems more prevalent in photo shoots promoting TV shows when they get to season 4.

ProvanFan

famethrowa

Maybe more a TV thing, but someone puffing into a paper bag because they're hyperventilating, whatever that is.

olliebean

Someone who's already been pointing a gun at someone else for a little while, suddenly deciding to cock it to emphasise the threat.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: olliebean on July 25, 2022, 01:59:08 PMSomeone who's already been pointing a gun at someone else for a little while, suddenly deciding to cock it to emphasise the threat.

I don't know guns, but you can't de-cock a gun, can you?  Presumably the bullet's in the chamber and the next action is the hammer being released.

You never see a scene afterwards in which the guy with the gun has to fire it off into something unimportant so they can use it again.

Magnum Valentino

I think you can because I have a mental image of it being done in the reverse of this situation where the threat is alleviated.

Stonefish

Blumf

https://www.bevfitchett.us/ruger-model-blackhawk/to-uncock-decock-the-revolver.html

But

QuoteUSE EXTREME CARE WHEN ATTEMPTING TO DECOCK THE REVOLVER, AS THE THUMB SLIPPING DURING THIS PROCESS CAN RESULT IN AN ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE IF THE TRIGGER IS HELD TO THE REAR.

EOLAN

Someone about to impart some vital information or go into a foul-mouthed swearing streak, just as a very loud train/truck/airplane passes by that drowns out whatever they are saying.

Armed Traffic Warden

Narration: "And/This is me"

An opening shit film guarantee.

Often seen alongside equally shit, "but wait, I'm getting ahead of myself".

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Armed Traffic Warden on July 28, 2022, 02:23:35 PMNarration: "And/This is me"

An opening shit film guarantee.

Often seen alongside equally shit, "but wait, I'm getting ahead of myself".

"You're probably wondering how I got here"

batwings

Someone is tied to a chair. Someone else pulls out a knife and walks menacingly towards them - but, surprise! - instead of stabbing them they go around and cut them free.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 28, 2022, 02:28:20 PM"You're probably wondering how I got here"

"Well, let's start from the beginning".

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: famethrowa on July 25, 2022, 12:17:11 PMMaybe more a TV thing, but someone puffing into a paper bag because they're hyperventilating, whatever that is.

An unpleasant character choking on food having their life saved through the Heimlich Manoeuvre. Extra points if it's a man performing it on a woman for the sexual connotation. Always in comedies though, never in dramas.

famethrowa

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 29, 2022, 01:42:06 PMAn unpleasant character choking on food having their life saved through the Heimlich Manoeuvre.

Hopefully ending with the bit of food sailing across the room and landing in a posh lady's drink?