Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:28:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brooklyn Nine Nine cancelled

Started by Shit Good Nose, May 11, 2018, 04:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44079291

Can't remember if there are any B99 fans on here, but the series currently airing on E4 will be the last (unless it's picked up by another network, of course).

Always liked it - just such a warm and light show but with genuinely good humour.  This and the last series haven't been as good, true, but there have still been plenty of belly laugh moments for me.

It's a shame they never capitalised on the few episodes in the (I think) second series where Terry Crews and Andre Braugher were an occasional double act - that was gold.

NINE NINE!!!!!!!!!

Fry

Yeah, sad to see it go. It remained remarkably consistent, but 5 seasons is probably enough for any show.

I reckon it'll get picked up on Netflix or Hulu though, a lot of reaction about the cancellation on Twitter and it already has a built in audience.

kidsick5000

This from Ant Farm Keyboard in the Last Man on Earth Thread sums things up well
Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on May 11, 2018, 01:58:16 AM
B99 was a Universal production.

Usually, with every season of a show, costs mechanically increase, as the cast and the staff get raises. When a show is close to reaching syndication numbers, the network will try to keep it alive if it's produced within the same group, as it can be a financial jackpot for the studio. If it's an outside production, they will renegotiate the fee with the studio, as the studio would be the only one getting the syndication money (in addition to foreign sales, or home video).
My guess is that Universal was willing to lighten the bill for each episode of the fifth season, so they could be well over 100 episodes for syndication. But there wasn't the same impetus for a sixth season.

The very same thing happened with House M.D. When US ratings started to decrease, Universal tried some cost-cuttings measures to appease Fox, like renegotiating the fees of the supporting cast, which resulted in Lisa Edelstein suddenly leaving. The show was still hugely popular in continental Europe, at least France (I have no idea of how well it was doing in the UK), but it turned up to be the final season, because Fox wasn't willing to bankroll a show that would ultimately make a profit for everybody but them.

Also, I suscribe to Joe Lo Truglio on Twitter. For a couple of months, he had posted pictures of the entire crew. It was supposed to be a celebration of the 100th episode, but there was a definite sense of finality, as if everybody had already come to terms with cancellation. It may be a shock for some of us, but definitely not for them.

I'll be sad to see it go. Rosa will be missed. Holt is my guru. Really sad there's no more Pimento.
Five suits this very well. How many other ways can Jake be put undercover/in prison/etc at the end of each season.
Wait! What's that? Did I hear Pimento spin-off!?! No? Just voices in my head? oh okay then.

up_the_hampipe

Alberon

Fox cancelled a lot of shows, including Lucifer, apparently because they got some football matches they can show instead.

And not even proper football, but that American crap.

steveh

And still they won't cancel Family Guy.

Quote from: steveh on May 12, 2018, 11:34:15 AM
And still they won't cancel Family Guy.

They tried once, idiots wanted it back. Damn idiots.

Z

It was always a bit weird it was on fox instead of NBC anyway.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: dontrunyoullfall on May 12, 2018, 11:41:29 AM
They tried once, idiots wanted it back. Damn idiots.

To be fair, those first three seasons were really funny. Wanting it back after season 8 or something would have been weird. 

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 12, 2018, 12:16:56 PM
To be fair, those first three seasons were really funny. Wanting it back after season 8 or something would have been weird.

I can obviously only speak for myself, but I found it tiresome in the extreme in its 'golden years'. So what it must be like now that people who once enjoyed it wish it was cancelled I can't even imagine.

Bigfella

Just so everyone knows, there is an hour-long celebration of Brooklyn Nine-Nine on E4 tonight at 8pm followed by the last ever episode.  Generally quick-witted and charming with its unashamed childishness, in my opinion, though this final series has seemed a little selfconscious at times.  I'm confident they've saved a few laughs for the big finale.

Famous Mortimer

Every "the NYPD are an absolute bunch of bastards" news story made it a less possible to enjoy this show.