Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:33:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Vic & Bob - The Glove (New Film)

Started by Malcy, September 27, 2018, 09:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

https://www.comedy.co.uk/film/news/5044/vic_and_bob_film_the_glove/

Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer have written and will star in a new film called The Glove
The plot focuses around two friends who are trying to track down singer Michael Jackson's iconic white glove
Filming on the project will take place in 2019. Reeves is also making another film called Disco Pier
Vic & Bob's Big Night Out. Image shows from L to R: Vic Reeves, Bob Mortimer. Copyright: BBC.
Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer are working on a new film project together.

The movie will be focused around the iconic white glove worn by singer Michael Jackson, and will follow the adventure of two childhood friends - played by the comedy duo - as they go in search of it in order to try and settle a debt.

Vic & Bob wrote the screenplay for The Glove a decade ago. They have now received financial backing from StudioPOW, the production company out of which Funny Cow producer Kevin Proctor is working.

The company posted a blog saying: "We had a fantastic meeting in our Soho offices with the legends that are Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer yesterday. There wasn't a dry eye in the house but we weren't crying. Time was spent reading aspects of the script and discussing cast. What should have taken 2 hours took 4 due to the ongoing laughter breaks! We are hugely excited at the potential of this laugh out loud comedy. We already know that it will be packed full of legendary comics and actors."

Speaking to The Mirror, Vic Reeves confirmed: "We wrote it, we're in it and we're filming it next year."

Reeves described the plot as being about "a new Hold Grail, but the Holy Grail is Michael Jackson's glove."

The comedy duo are busy on a number of comedy projects at the moment. They're making four more episodes of Vic & Bob's Big Night Out for BBC Four. A sold-out screening and Q&A is due to be held at the BFI in November ahead of the TV broadcasts.

Mortimer is also due to star in a second series of Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing for BBC Two, whilst Reeves has been preparing 200 sketches for an art exhibition

Reeves has also written another film being made by StudioPOW. The comic will star as "a flare-wearing mover and shaker" in Disco Pier. The upcoming film, which chronicles the 1979 finals of the Disco Dancin' Championships, will be filmed next year too, and will feature his wife Nancy Sorrell as a rival dance team member.

Further casting details for The Glove will be announced at a later date.

bgmnts

I'm hoping its just Catterick for 90 minutes.

Phil_A

Ahh, could this be this the film Bob mentioned on the Buxton podcast, the one Ben Wheatley was supposed to direct but pulled out of due to getting snared by Marvel?

Quote from: Phil_A on September 27, 2018, 10:02:31 PM
Ahh, could this be this the film Bob mentioned on the Buxton podcast, the one Ben Wheatley was supposed to direct but pulled out of due to getting snared by Marvel?

Yes indeed! Bob gave a brief rundown of this plot to Buckles. So glad it's moving ahead again.

I dimly recall that the sublime Catterick was originally written as a film script but cannot remember where I heard this.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Got high hopes for this, and willing to overlook the appalling , lazy mess that was their Big night Out reboot from last year. If they just recover the inventiveness from  House Of Fools, let alone Catterick, that'll be enough.

They both turn 60 next year. Fucking Hell.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on September 27, 2018, 10:57:47 PM
I dimly recall that the sublime Catterick was originally written as a film script but cannot remember where I heard this.

I remember this too, but also can't verify it.

They've not had much luck movie-wise - there was even a Councillor Cox and Evans screenplay knocking about at one point - so I hope they succeed with this and that they're able to have free reign, creatively.

Malcy

Vic & Bob said themselves that Catterick was originally a road film. Forget where though I'm sure I saw an interview with rhem where they said they ended up turning it into a 6 part series.

PlanktonSideburns

Shaky

If this was written ten years ago I think that bodes a bit better than something they might come up with now. 2008 was a stones throw from Catterick in 2004 so hopefully that's a good sign.

doppelkorn

Big up the Catterick fans! I see ya. I see ya.

rasta-spouse

I'm looking forward to this. Although my negative opinion is that Vic's lost it, and Bob's 50% lost it. But even if there are only five brilliant minutes it'll be worth it. The problem is, what if there are no brilliant minutes?

RedRevolver

Quote from: rasta-spouse on September 29, 2018, 08:51:54 AM
I'm looking forward to this. Although my negative opinion is that Vic's lost it, and Bob's 50% lost it. But even if there are only five brilliant minutes it'll be worth it. The problem is, what if there are no brilliant minutes?

Then you'll just have to pull out your old "Vic Reeve's Big Night Out" VHS(es) and have a good old teary-smeary wank into your oldest, smelliest sock. In tribute, you see.

bgmnts

Quote from: Gregory Torso on September 29, 2018, 04:00:39 PM
Disagree with this massively. Bob's riding high.

Aye don't know where that's coming from, personally.

c

Quote from: bgmnts on September 29, 2018, 04:15:58 PM
Aye don't know where that's coming from, personally.

Probably that mediocre fishing show

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: rasta-spouse on September 29, 2018, 08:51:54 AM

Id agree with this,  but only when Bob is working with Vic. When Bob is off on his own doing podcasts and panel shows hes doing some of the best stuff hes ever done. Ive never seen middle-age suit someone more than Bob, he's the most avuncular person ever. And still very funny.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: RedRevolver on September 29, 2018, 03:26:28 PM
Then you'll just have to pull out your old "Vic Reeve's Big Night Out" VHS(es) and have a good old teary-smeary wank into your oldest, smelliest sock. In tribute, you see.

I've been doing this since Bang! Bang! mate (obviously slowing my stroke to about 19spm during The Club segments).

House of Fools showed how they've become sluggish and less unique. Big Night Out 2017 showed how they have poor quality control now. I'll be straight with you, I'm into R&M for the bits you don't get with other comics, the inspired stuff. It's thin on the ground with them these days. That staged bit where they threw out the audience member was sub-TMWRNJ material (I know, what an odd point of reference).

Vic has no interest in comedy, watch any panel show appearance since 2005, he's just not into it. Bob is still coming up with good stuff on that podcast but a film is hard work. Most comedy films end up a bit like Mindhorn, two laughs, ten minutes that are almost funny, some gross out humour and then 80 minutes of boredom. Having said that, Bob does seem an avid film fan showing quite an interesting taste in movies on the pod. 

the science eel

Quote from: rasta-spouse on September 29, 2018, 04:46:46 PM

Vic has no interest in comedy, watch any panel show appearance since 2005, he's just not into it.

He's laid back on those shows for sure, but that doesn't mean he's not into comedy. He's a very imaginative/creative fella and that's where a LOT of the fun stuff comes from. Vic's ideas, Bob's delivery.

At least that's how I see it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Gregory Torso on September 29, 2018, 04:00:39 PM
Disagree with this massively. Bob's riding high.

Athletico Mince proves that Bob is still an inspired, hilarious man. Quite possibly one of the funniest men on the planet, in fact.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: the science eel on September 29, 2018, 05:09:18 PM
He's laid back on those shows for sure, but that doesn't mean he's not into comedy. He's a very imaginative/creative fella and that's where a LOT of the fun stuff comes from. Vic's ideas, Bob's delivery.

At least that's how I see it.

I agree. Vic/Jim is highly creative, but he's not suited to panel shows or interviews. He's a shy, eccentric man who doesn't feel comfortable appearing as 'himself' in public. Bob is more gregarious, he's a natural entertainer.

While I agree that last year's Big Night Out comeback was disappointing, you only have to look at House of Fools to see that Jim still enjoys making comedy with Bob. 

Cuellar

Bob is still wonderful, and I bloody loved House of Fools so think Vic is also wonderful

greenman

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 29, 2018, 08:27:43 PM
I agree. Vic/Jim is highly creative, but he's not suited to panel shows or interviews. He's a shy, eccentric man who doesn't feel comfortable appearing as 'himself' in public. Bob is more gregarious, he's a natural entertainer.

While I agree that last year's Big Night Out comeback was disappointing, you only have to look at House of Fools to see that Jim still enjoys making comedy with Bob.

You were obviously dealing with going over old ground there as well as the live setting but I think you could argue perhaps that age wise they've gotten past the difficult middle aged phase there they were too old to be young and adventurous and too young to be old and irritable/regretful.

the science eel

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 29, 2018, 08:27:43 PM
While I agree that last year's Big Night Out comeback was disappointing

The blind date sketch was just beautiful, tho'...

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Said it before and I'll say it again; the main difference between Vic and Bob is that the former is a genuine eccentric and the latter is a funny man. Bob can adapt his style to better suit the given situation, whereas Vic/Jim is who he is and seems unable to switch it on/off.

Vic's the comic engine, creating the tone, shape and colour of their specific universe and Bob's a master of shaping and building within it.

madhair60

What happened to Shooting Stars: The Inside Story from 2008? Why has it just fallen off the fucking internet? WHERE IS IT

Bhazor

Quote from: Malcy on September 27, 2018, 09:33:48 PM
https://www.comedy.co.uk/film/news/5044/vic_and_bob_film_the_glove/

QuoteThe company posted a blog saying: "We had a fantastic meeting in our Soho offices with the legends that are Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer yesterday. There wasn't a dry eye in the house but we weren't crying. Time was spent reading aspects of the script and discussing cast. What should have taken 2 hours took 4 due to the ongoing laughter breaks! We are hugely excited at the potential of this laugh out loud comedy. We already know that it will be packed full of legendary comics and actors."

I haven't hated a paragraph this much since I read a speeding ticket.

zomgmouse

rasta-spouse

Quote from: madhair60 on September 29, 2018, 10:30:00 PM
What happened to Shooting Stars: The Inside Story from 2008? Why has it just fallen off the fucking internet? WHERE IS IT

Maybe Mark Lamaar punched it