Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:22:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Horror films

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artie Fufkin

Night Of The Demon - 1957

I finally got round to watching this.
My goodness, isn't it great?
Amazing effects, considering the year it was made.
However, one thing that did annoy me slightly was
Spoiler alert
the fact that they must have gone to so much trouble designing the 'demon effects', and yet you could still see the string pulling the runes through the train.
[close]
Hey ho.
As I say though, overall it was so enjoyable.
It's in the trees! It's coming!
When I was a child, running in the night etc etc

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 28, 2022, 06:45:27 AMYou are not my Mother

Very recent Irish horror from Kate Dolan. Almost relentlessly unsettling throughout but hard not to spoil outside of what you'll get on the back of the box - a teenager's mum disappears for a night and when she comes back, she's not quite the same.

Fucking excellent too. Brilliant performances

Thanks for the recommendation on this. Loved it! Can't believe it's the directors first film.

phantom_power

Hellraiser: Bloodline - cheap-looking, laughable shite that takes an age to get its Cenobites out. Adam Scott was a really shit actor when he started out. It is amazing to see how far he has come from this to stuff like Party Down and even better work in Severance

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: phantom_power on June 19, 2022, 10:38:07 AMHellraiser: Bloodline - cheap-looking, laughable shite that takes an age to get its Cenobites out. Adam Scott was a really shit actor when he started out. It is amazing to see how far he has come from this to stuff like Party Down and even better work in Severance
Pinhead... IN SPACE

phantom_power

Because everyone was crying out for a backstory for the fucking box

Famous Mortimer

The alternate cut of it makes much more sense, if you're in the mood.

Stigdu

Host

Half a dozen girls and a guy perform a séance during lockdown, only it all goes a bit Pete Tong when one of them makes up a story about a boy who died.

I was really impressed by this. Considering it was made during lockdown a couple of years ago, and the director basically gave the actors guidelines of what to do/film in their own houses, they all did a bloody good job. Effects were mostly confined to the last 15 minutes and were excellent. It was pretty scary (or 'jump-y' at least) for a low-budget, relatively non-professional feature, and at less than an hour, doesn't overstay its welcome.

Looking forward to the director's Dashcam next.

SteveDave

You're in for a treat with DASHCAM

"Slapface"

Two brothers live together in a cabin in the woods and slap each others faces if they're angry or upset. The younger brother meets a witch thing in an abandoned mental asylum on a dare and then the witch kills/hurts anyone who fucks with him.

It wasn't great or scary.

Deliciousbass

Quote from: Stigdu on June 22, 2022, 08:52:59 PMHost

Watched this with a couple mates on Zoom during lockdown, was a lot of fun in a 'let's put a hat on a hat' kind of way. Was likewise impressed by how effective it was - we went back and paused at the moment when the
Spoiler alert
ghouuuuuuul
[close]
popped up and it was pretty unnerving. Will buy a dashcam to watch DASHCAM.

SteveDave

The Blood On Satan's Claw

A weird one. 3 separate stories almost interlinked but still quite separate from each other.

I fancied Angel even with her Cara Delevingne eyebrows.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Stigdu on June 22, 2022, 08:52:59 PMHost

Just watched this myself. It was good for what it was (basically a lockdown project) but I found it a bit unremarkable other than that. It goes exactly as you expect it will; same kind of jump scares, same bits where people get dragged away by an invisible thing, same "why are you holding the camera/laptop" bits. The practical effects were clever and well-executed, especially if they really were all set up by the cast in their own homes, and the acting was decent, just wish it had been a bit scarier or had a bit more going on.

10/10

Stigdu

Don't Breathe 2

Watched this last night. The (sorta) villain from the first film now becomes the antihero, even though he steals a young unconscious girl off the street and becomes her 'father'. Oy acceptable as the girl's real parents are even worse. I won't go into detail for fear of spoilers.

As a tense cat-and-mouse thriller, it wasn't too bad, but you never really get a big sense of threat of the blind man being killed as he's an ex-Seal and hard as nails. A bit of a Blind Fury Rutger Hauer without the sword, if you will.

The story was daft and stretched beyond reasonable suspension of disbelief, the direction was decent (there was a nice bit of hide-and-seek with the young girl in the house vs 3 assailants filmed in one long steadicam shot) and there were a couple of shocking violent moments (one scene at the end definitely warranted the '18' certificate).

Not as good as Fede Alvarez's original, but passable revenge fodder.

6/10

neveragain

Quote from: SteveDave on June 24, 2022, 08:58:11 AMThe Blood On Satan's Claw

A weird one. 3 separate stories almost interlinked but still quite separate from each other.

I fancied Angel even with her Cara Delevingne eyebrows.

There's a DVD kicking about with a League of Gentlemen (minus Reece) commentary on it, which you may enjoy/find edifying.

Junglist

Watched The Black Phone as I was in town after work and wanted to avoid rush hour.

It's the best Blumhouse film. Which doesn't say much.

Generic but has its moments.

6/10

Stigdu

Not sure I'd call it a horror film, but it sure is horrible. Watched Gutterballs last night.

The BBK (Bowling Ball Killer) walks around a bowling alley at night, knocking off various sweary low-lifes with spiked skittles (not the sweets) in eyes and up arses, splitting cocks in half with scissors, and mashing faces into ball polishing machines. It's every bit as insanely gory and  offensive as it sounds. There's a grim rape scene that lasts way longer than it should do, too.

Brought to you by one of the special effects geniuses behind Deadpool 2, Blair Witch and eXistenZ. Yes, really.

1/10

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Stigdu on June 30, 2022, 03:27:37 PMNot sure I'd call it a horror film, but it sure is horrible. Watched Gutterballs last night.

The BBK (Bowling Ball Killer) walks around a bowling alley at night, knocking off various sweary low-lifes with spiked skittles (not the sweets) in eyes and up arses, splitting cocks in half with scissors, and mashing faces into ball polishing machines. It's every bit as insanely gory and  offensive as it sounds. There's a grim rape scene that lasts way longer than it should do, too.

Brought to you by one of the special effects geniuses behind Deadpool 2, Blair Witch and eXistenZ. Yes, really.

1/10

I'm interested how scissors relate to the killer's arsenal of ten pin bowling paraphernalia.

zomgmouse

this is going back a few pages now but i finally caught up with All My Friends Hate Me. would definitely camp on the side of "not a horror" but i loved the way it played with this. thoroughly enjoyable agony

Stigdu

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 03, 2022, 01:18:58 AMthis is going back a few pages now but i finally caught up with All My Friends Hate Me. would definitely camp on the side of "not a horror" but i loved the way it played with this. thoroughly enjoyable agony

Not heard of this. Shall have to check it out!

zomgmouse

Quote from: Stigdu on July 04, 2022, 09:46:33 PMNot heard of this. Shall have to check it out!

there was some further discussion of it a few pages earlier too if you're interested

Stigdu

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 05, 2022, 01:23:04 AMthere was some further discussion of it a few pages earlier too if you're interested

Thank you.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I found out recently that I was Chucky when I was little. Check my (very) bad self.

Quote from: Stigdu on June 30, 2022, 03:27:37 PMNot sure I'd call it a horror film, but it sure is horrible. Watched Gutterballs last night.

Brundle-Fly

I really enjoyed Come To Daddy (2020) the other week. Very dark comedy thriller more than horror per se. Have a butcher's?

Here's the trailer. Not too spoilery a trailer but as always try resist watching to the end.

Famous Mortimer

Doom Asylum

Cheap as owt, seemingly filmed because they found a real abandoned asylum they could use for $0, but surprisingly good and funny. Less than 80 minutes long, and with substantial chunks of it made up of the villain watching old public domain movies, it still works. Very typical slasher movie (featuring Kristin Davis in her debut, four years before she made anything else), but it was clearly made with a sense of humour, and has people making so many dumb decisions that it had to be a parody of those situations. Like, the characters walk past an obviously open external door to get to a locked "main" door, and absolutely never even consider running away from the slasher.

Two thumbs up, definitely worth a go.

phantom_power

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 10, 2022, 04:36:05 PMI really enjoyed Come To Daddy (2020) the other week. Very dark comedy thriller more than horror per se. Have a butcher's?

Here's the trailer. Not too spoilery a trailer but as always try resist watching to the end.

I saw this a while ago and really enjoyed it as well. As you say, not exactly a horror but has some similarities. Frodo has done some interesting stuff since Lord of the Rings

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: phantom_power on July 10, 2022, 07:00:01 PMI saw this a while ago and really enjoyed it as well. As you say, not exactly a horror but has some similarities. Frodo has done some interesting stuff since Lord of the Rings

I thought his performance in the remake of Maniac (2012) was pretty good too.

phantom_power

He is also part of a production company that made films such as Mandy, Greasy Strangler and Colour Out Of Space

Hex Triplet

Two I saw recently

The Night House. Supernatural mystery type thing where a woman dealing with her husband's recent suicide finds out that things are not quite as they seem. woooooooo. oooo. and although I fancied most of the women in this film its plot was not very good and didn't make a lot of sense once the reveal came. 

The Black Phone
. Surprisingly not that shit. Decent kid acting. Stupid plot holes and nonsense details and a couple of bits of laughable CGI but a refreshing lack of constant jump scares and women walking around upside down like spiders made this much better than a lot of Blumhouse bollocks.

zomgmouse

Forgot to say I watched the latest Álex de la Iglesia, a film called Veneciafrenia. I think it might actually be his best? Tinged with giallo and tongue entirely in cheek, it's gruesome and filmed very engagingly and revolves around the tourist crisis in Venice. Feels a little undercooked at the end but I didn't mind because the rest was so much fun - rather broad and over the top much of the time but in a knowing way. Highly recommended.

Mister Six

Taiwanese horror flick Incantation is apparently going big on Netflix with a very high approval rating, so I felt the need to step in here and warn you all off, because it's not very good.

It's a found footage sort of deal - with all the contrived "yeah, I'm going to shoot all this spooky shit even though I should be running away and shitting myself" bits you'd expect - about a former YouTube "ghost buster" who did something very silly with her twat mates six years previous and is now reaping the whirlwind as she tries to get custody of the daughter she had to give up while sectioned.

Sadly, despite that premise it's all played dead straight, with lead actress lady mostly just looking very stressed and depressed. She does a great job, as do the rest of the cast, but the film goes on for far too long, building to a vaguely twisty ending you'll see coming from five minutes in.

There are a few effective sequences here and there, and the protagonist's struggles to keep her kid are engaging, but you've seen all of this before, especially as the central concept is basically just
Spoiler alert
Ring with a metafictional twist.
[close]