Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:27:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Upsetting moments in otherwise not upsetting comedy

Started by Pink Gregory, November 04, 2019, 01:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

Quote from: icehaven on November 05, 2019, 09:45:49 PM
I've not but will watch that cheers. Read a bit around it all now too, bloody hell, "laff in the dark" eh?

I am so sorry for introducing you to the rabbithole of her channel, btw.

Jim Bob

Quote from: purlieu on November 05, 2019, 11:59:52 PM
Game On. Admittedly a fairly nasty show, with none of the main characters ever being really being nice to each other, but I always found the points where Matt basically has a panic attack due to his agoraphobia and is played for laughs really difficult.

For what it's worth, speaking as an agoraphobic, I have no issue with those scenes.  They're generally handled pretty well and true to the condition.  I've never felt that it's downright mocking people who suffer from agoraphobia.  Yes, the condition is used as a means to deliver jokes, but I see no problem with that.  I can laugh at myself and the nature of my condition.  I see no reason why it should be off-limits any more than any other character trait.

Quote from: purlieu on November 05, 2019, 11:59:52 PM...Mandy's fiancé dying on his way to the wedding, leaving her standing in a field, in tears, not even fully dressed (for some reason). Really, really difficult to watch.

The audience actually growns with distaste when Mandy strips off and understandably so.  It's such an odd scene.  I really can't fathom what exactly they were aiming for with that.

EDIT: I've actually talked about this scene before...

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 18, 2017, 11:01:36 PM
I reckon the wedding episode contains the single most ill-judged scene that I've ever seen in a sitcom.  Archie dies on the way to the wedding (in a car accident I believe?) and Mandy, in a state of despair, drives off in a car with Martin and Matthew, intending to crash it, killing all three of them.  That's not even the ill-judged bit.  No, it's when she pulls the car over and gets out, with tears streaming down her face and runs into a field, ripping off her wedding dress as she suffers a complete mental breakdown (so that she's left in nothing more than just her bra and knickers) and wails to the heavens.  I think it was supposed to be played for laughs?!  Pathos?!  I'm not entirely sure but clearly the studio audience felt the same way as I did when watching it; as there's a few audible groans of disgust amongst the very awkward silence.  Incredibly ill-judged moment for a relatively light hearted sitcom such as 'Game On'.

Norton Canes

QuoteThat's not even the ill-judged bit.  No, it's when she pulls the car over and gets out, with tears streaming down her face and runs into a field, ripping off her wedding dress as she suffers a complete mental breakdown (so that she's left in nothing more than just her bra and knickers)

Archie's pants. Archie's lucky pants.

purlieu

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 06, 2019, 02:13:50 PM
For what it's worth, speaking as an agoraphobic, I have no issue with those scenes.  They're generally handled pretty well and true to the condition.  I've never felt that it's downright mocking people who suffer from agoraphobia.  Yes, the condition is used as a means to deliver jokes, but I see no problem with that.  I can laugh at myself and the nature of my condition.  I see no reason why it should be off-limits any more than any other character trait.
Fair enough, I suppose the scenes where he's trying to leave the flat and panicking just never sat right with me, because they're soundtracked to huge audience laughter, and the only joke I could really see was "lol he's agoraphobic".

Petey Pate

The Face/Off episode of Delocated, which ends with 'Jon' abandoning his child and pregnant wife he had married and conceived with while wearing Sergei's face.

Jim Bob

Quote from: purlieu on November 06, 2019, 03:17:42 PM
Fair enough, I suppose the scenes where he's trying to leave the flat and panicking just never sat right with me, because they're soundtracked to huge audience laughter, and the only joke I could really see was "lol he's agoraphobic".

I appreciate that's how you interpreted those scenes but personally speaking, I felt they were delivered with a sense of empathy and sympathy for Matthew's condition.  Again; they felt very well observed and true to the condition.  The jokes aren't at the expense of Matthew's agoraphobia, but rather derived from it.  If anything, I was happy to see my condition represented in a mainstream show and to be done so in a fairly accurate manner.

mippy

The old woman's voicemail messages from And Now In Colour.

NoOffenceLynn

Quote from: ajsmith2 on November 05, 2019, 12:10:53 PM
Speaking of P. Whitehouse and his fantastic acting chops, my favourite' suddenly sad and sinister' moment of his comes at 6.45 into 'End Of An Era'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vXd9x7jhOA

'Don't you wish that you'd had a childhood.. like mine?'
Yes, that line and body language are delivered perfectly.

Someone mentioned elsewhere the "Mary phone calls" to Alan Partridge on Anglican Lives.
They are sublimely brilliant.

Lonely old sad Mary leaving her favourite doll for Alan in reception, because it means so much to her...

Mary ringing in and trying to "hum a theme tune" on the wrong night and being shut down by Alan.

"I'll never call again, goodbye"

Phil_A

Speaking of P. Whitehouse and his fantastic acting chops, my favourite' suddenly sad and sinister' moment of his comes at 6.45 into 'End Of An Era'

I thought Enfield's acting during Nicey's breakdown was on a par with Whitehouse as well, they both really bought their best to that special. "I'm not a happy man, you know..."

Kryton

Jesus, that's sublime. Never seen that.
Enfield and Whitehouse are treasures.

NJ Uncut

Bernard's ex girlfriend revelation in Black Books

As the ending as well. Gah

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 09, 2019, 09:11:42 PM
Bernard's ex girlfriend revelation in Black Books

As the ending as well. Gah
I just thought that was a bit half arsed.

Mister Six

Wasn't the point of the Black Books thing that she'd faked her death to get rid of him because he's such a cunt? Was it not played for laughs? Honestly can't remember.

samadriel

Quote from: Mister Six on November 10, 2019, 03:39:53 AM
Wasn't the point of the Black Books thing that she'd faked her death to get rid of him because he's such a cunt? Was it not played for laughs? Honestly can't remember.

It starts as an "upsetting moment", which I quite liked, but it's not long before Fran tells Manny the truth. Which I also liked. Good show, that one.

purlieu

It's a strangely muted section though, especially the ending, where Bernard feels like he's basically been left behind or screwed over by everyone.

Thursday

It all felt a bit too "last episode of a sitcom so let's do something a bit more dramatic" to me. But they didn't want to fully commit to it, so it just felt a bit strange.

Pink Gregory

I've found myself surprisingly affected by Manny leaving in the first series.

"Without him it's just a yo!"

beanheadmcginty

Gary Sparrow not so much as lifting a finger to prevent the holocaust.

Dannyhood91

Uncle Albert being kept alive by wires in the dream sequence at the start of the 96 only fools Christmas special is horrible

markburgle

Not upsetting exactly as it's sort of underplayed, but the end of Green Wing is very odd. Mac getting a terminal cancer diagnosis, Statham and Clore running into the sea to commit suicide (but Statham given a small moment of triumph at the end when his disdainful girlfriend laughs in approval at his plan to swallow little plastic trinkets to confuse the autopsy people).

Dr Rock

Later series of Shelley that were set after he broke up with Fran. I was upset it didn't work out for them.

NoSleep

NJ Uncut

Dennis leaving It's Always Funny

(didn't end up sad though)

Some of Frank Spencer's scenes became very unsettling. Seeing a guy rejected by his own shrink may seem like a great comedy idea but it's actually very grim to watch if you've ever been ill yourself. Frank's an OK character if his premise is to be a simpleton with good intentions whom you love despite his fuck-ups, but when he's being shamed because even his shrink gives up on him, there's a sense of desolation there. The man has a kid and he's being written off; just too close to the cruelty of the welfare state in the 70s to be played for laughs.

Glebe

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on November 13, 2019, 04:17:21 PMSome of Frank Spencer's scenes became very unsettling. Seeing a guy rejected by his own shrink may seem like a great comedy idea but it's actually very grim to watch if you've ever been ill yourself. Frank's an OK character if his premise is to be a simpleton with good intentions whom you love despite his fuck-ups, but when he's being shamed because even his shrink gives up on him, there's a sense of desolation there. The man has a kid and he's being written off; just too close to the cruelty of the welfare state in the 70s to be played for laughs.

Yeah, the comedy and performances are top, but I remember finding it quite grim, even as a child... the lingering Victorian attitudes, bad '70s fashions and general meanness and lack of empathy.

Gurke and Hare

I've not watched it for ages, but is that the bit that has him actually being quite happy because he's got a "diagnosis" - excitedly saying "I'm a failure!"

Rich Uncle Skeleton

In King Of The Hill I know Bill's not the most endearing character when he gets super needy etc but he's pretty harmless and episodes where people take advantage of him upset me a bit.

Also in the firefighter episode when Dale pictures himself as handsome and charismatic in his "memory" of what happened, I always found it quite sad that Bill sees himself as even bigger and balder, stuffing his face etc. Fitting though I suppose.