Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 02:33:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Yeboah

They are naturally different without an audience, they are always going to lack something. There's been a good line-up of guests so far so I have still enjoyed them, Lauren Pattison was ace on Wednesday. It's a shame Bill Burr had to pull out due to his wife giving birth but it is encouraging that he agreed to do it, if Herring can get international guests like that who he could not have for the live shows then that is an upside of doing them remotely. The live text chat can be quite entertaining as well, which surprised me because those things are normally dominated by imbeciles.

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on June 05, 2020, 04:22:29 PMIt's a shame Bill Burr had to pull out due to his wife giving birth

Ew, that's a horrible image.

Small Man Big Horse

I struggled with the Buxton one (a man I normally love) as there was just so much Coronavirus chat, and I'm sick to death of the whole subject and didn't find what they had to say on the matter of any interest either, but it livened up and became a lot more interesting when Adam discussed his forthcoming autobiography. I just wish Herring hadn't then gone on and on about his partnership with Stewart Lee, which was tedious in the extreme once again.

Mango Chimes

I didn't know Burr was due on this. That'd be interesting. His Comedian's Comedian podcast was a car crash, and he seems very guarded when not dealing with his American stand-up buddies. I don't think Richard would dare an emergency question because they would die on their arse.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 05, 2020, 06:42:52 PM
I struggled with the Buxton one (a man I normally love) as there was just so much Coronavirus chat, and I'm sick to death of the whole subject and didn't find what they had to say on the matter of any interest either, but it livened up and became a lot more interesting when Adam discussed his forthcoming autobiography. I just wish Herring hadn't then gone on and on about his partnership with Stewart Lee, which was tedious in the extreme once again.

Hang on, is this again or the one from a couple of months ago where he decided to rake up a story from when they were starting out and suggested Stew fucked him out of a role as a pair?

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Mango Chimes on June 05, 2020, 08:19:22 PM
I didn't know Burr was due on this. That'd be interesting. His Comedian's Comedian podcast was a car crash, and he seems very guarded when not dealing with his American stand-up buddies. I don't think Richard would dare an emergency question because they would die on their arse.

I don't think it happens so much now, but Burr's podcast listeners used to email him some wacky dilemma questions from time to time. He probably wouldn't be fazed by Herring's.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 05, 2020, 08:21:38 PM
Hang on, is this again or the one from a couple of months ago where he decided to rake up a story from when they were starting out and suggested Stew fucked him out of a role as a pair?

It's the one from a couple of months ago, but I missed it when it went out live and it's only recently gone up on the youtube channel.

I'm suprised the attack on Lee in that episode has not had repercussions. As I posted at the time, he ought at the very least to have discussed the incident with Lee and received Lee's side of the story rather than just assuming and broadcasting that Lee did such a traitorous act.

Sebastian Cobb

I thought it was a quite petty and bitter thing to drag up. But I'm not surprised Lee has stayed quiet given he doesn't seem to use social media and also has had an almost supercilious tone when talking about the Fist of Fun reissues being important to Herring, but he was more concerned with looking forwards.

Lee probably didn't hear about it and I'm not sure he'd even care. No matter how you rate their individual careers, I think it's telling that Herring continually refers back to what he clearly regards as the "heyday" (even through layers of irony) while as you say Lee has focussed on moving forward and experimenting with whatever interests him.

I was a big fan of Rich and still enjoy the occasional RHLSTP but it does feel like he's been running on fumes for a bit too long. Which is fair enough, but it also makes his sarky remarks on Twitter about Lee feel like sour grapes.

bgmnts

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on June 06, 2020, 07:17:39 PM
Lee probably didn't hear about it and I'm not sure he'd even care. No matter how you rate their individual careers, I think it's telling that Herring continually refers back to what he clearly regards as the "heyday" (even through layers of irony) while as you say Lee has focussed on moving forward and experimenting with whatever interests him.

I was a big fan of Rich and still enjoy the occasional RHLSTP but it does feel like he's been running on fumes for a bit too long. Which is fair enough, but it also makes his sarky remarks on Twitter about Lee feel like sour grapes.

Its the same with Adam Buxton and Joe Cornish, to a slightly less extent.

thugler

The bitterness and resentment with Herring has been evident for some time, it's surprising that it still seems such a big deal to him. It was evident back in the collings and herrin stuff that he was enjoying acting the bully as a way of feeling like the dominant partner in the duo. Some of that was pretty unpleasant to me and really made it clear how much of a big deal it is to him not to be as successful as stew is now. Hopefully one day he will get over this shit but it seems unlikely. Not saying stew is entirely in the right either but it seems less of a hangup for him.

Mango Chimes

They were having a conversation about double-acts because Adam had written about it in his book. It'd be weird for Rich to not talk about Stew in that context. He seemed fine.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mango Chimes on June 06, 2020, 09:09:43 PM
They were having a conversation about double-acts because Adam had written about it in his book. It'd be weird for Rich to not talk about Stew in that context. He seemed fine.

The thing which annoyed me is that it once again led to him taking over the conversation and rambling away about his issues with Lee, whereas I was far more interested in hearing from Adam. I really wish Herring and Lee would sit down (off camera / mic) and discuss their issues once and for all too, as I'm bored to tears of Herring going on and on about it every chance he gets.

Shaky

Yeah, I felt Rich's comments this time veered way more into unpleasant territory and made for a very uncomfortable listen. The difference between his "failed" double act and Adam and Joe is the latter are friends again and while Adam may harp on about things a fair bit as well, it seems to come from a (now) healthier and much more self-aware place.

The weird thing is, you could make the claim that Herring is doing better in someways than Lee. Top rated podcast, a fairly global contact list... he just doesn't have the same level of respect as a comic, I guess, and maybe that's what really rankles.

Sebastian Cobb

I guess you could, but Herring doesn't even get to 'win' those because Lee has purposefully disqualified himself from the rankings.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Shaky on June 07, 2020, 12:56:49 AM
. The difference between his "failed" double act and Adam and Joe is the latter are friends again and while Adam may harp on about things a fair bit as well, it seems to come from a (now) healthier and much more self-aware place.

One big difference there that Buxton picked up on was that he and Joe were friends before they worked together, while rich and stew started off working together.

The Bumlord

Herring will have the last laugh when Lee finally goes full bald.

KennyMonster

Catching up with these a bit after a long time away and I was alarmed to see how many were in my Podcast feed waiting to go, he's been shitting out any old bollocks (AIOTM) because he's go nothing better to do in his mansion during lockdown hasn't he?

Birmingham has got more canals than Venice and Herr Ring has got more podcast episodes than most.

I've trimmed the fat, only picking the ones I'm likely to enjoy (because of the guest) and it's still too much.

The Brooker one had me annoyed, Rich was going on about how the threat of nuclear annihilation was one of his big fears.
Now let me see, in 2016 when he, as a member of The Labour Party had to vote for a leader did he opt for the one who has a life long opposition to nuclear arms (Corbyn) or did he vote for the one who doesn't really believe in anything (Owen Smith the Grey)?

What a calamitous cunt.

thugler

Quote from: KennyMonster on June 07, 2020, 04:16:04 PM
Catching up with these a bit after a long time away and I was alarmed to see how many were in my Podcast feed waiting to go, he's been shitting out any old bollocks (AIOTM) because he's go nothing better to do in his mansion during lockdown hasn't he?

Birmingham has got more canals than Venice and Herr Ring has got more podcast episodes than most.

I've trimmed the fat, only picking the ones I'm likely to enjoy (because of the guest) and it's still too much.

The Brooker one had me annoyed, Rich was going on about how the threat of nuclear annihilation was one of his big fears.
Now let me see, in 2016 when he, as a member of The Labour Party had to vote for a leader did he opt for the one who has a life long opposition to nuclear arms (Corbyn) or did he vote for the one who doesn't really believe in anything (Owen Smith the Grey)?

What a calamitous cunt.

Didn't know this re: owen smith? Did he announce this?

KennyMonster

Quote from: thugler on June 07, 2020, 04:27:34 PM
Didn't know this re: owen smith? Did he announce this?

Yeah he did at the time.

Pink Gregory

Paid £25 to vote against JC as well, as a non-party member.

That killed a lot of interest in him for me. 

Pink Gregory

It's the RHLSTP with Tom Parry that the bulk of it is in.

Hated the smugness of him and Tony Robinson having the same opinions as well.

Pink Gregory

Why so?  I really don't have much love for Bill Burr but when he was on the Adam Buxton pod he seemed affable and interesting.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 17, 2020, 03:34:17 PM
Why so?  I really don't have much love for Bill Burr but when he was on the Adam Buxton pod he seemed affable and interesting.

I've only watched the first half hour, but Rich is on best behaviour and Bill's in polite promo mode, so it's quite stilted.

There's a bit where they're talking about a film Bill's done with someone from SNL, and Rich awkwardly skirts the fact he clearly thinks SNL is shit. Bill nicely picks him up on it, but Rich remains tentative and brushes past it. I think it's a combination of the lack of audience and the fact that Rich is a bit in awe, but it could for once do with more of "the character of" Richard Herring.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: KennyMonster on June 07, 2020, 04:16:04 PM
Rich was going on about how the threat of nuclear annihilation was one of his big fears.
Now let me see, in 2016 when he, as a member of The Labour Party had to vote for a leader did he opt for the one who has a life long opposition to nuclear arms (Corbyn) or did he vote for the one who doesn't really believe in anything (Owen Smith the Grey)? What a calamitous cunt.

Perhaps he pondered that the UK having an independent nuclear deterrent may have been one reason why we avoided such a fate, or he may have since realised that the popular 80s fear of nuclear annihilation was more a result of paranoid propaganda than any serious analysis of world affairs. Also, he might have not voted for Corbyn on the basis that he didn't think JC could win Labour an election.

keir

That fact that it's Bill Burr puts me off. I've never watched Bill Burr, but every single time I've heard anything about him or his material (almost always from people that think he's great) lowers my opinion of him. It seems to me like it's mainly the sort of crap people are talking about when they say 'never look at the comments on YouTube', but done as a career.