Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:10:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 18, 2022, 05:24:08 PMWasn't Hicks' position more aimed at the already rich and ubiquitious tv celebrities (Jay Leno in particular) also doing adverts to supplement their already vast incomes?

True, this was him clarifying his material later, so maybe it doesn't work that way.

Not really, he was doing the bit about Willie Nelson doing adverts being ok at the time, it's on bootlegs, it was just never on the CD. But yeah, people often get his position wrong.

somersetchris

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 18, 2022, 06:50:20 PMNot really, he was doing the bit about Willie Nelson doing adverts being ok at the time, it's on bootlegs, it was just never on the CD. But yeah, people often get his position wrong.

I think it was mainly his disappointment at Jay Leno, having once been someone he had respected, as now using his position to flog Doritos. So not just advertising, but junk food. I'm not sure about bootlegs, I've only heard the official releases and I've heard the bit about making exceptions for people starting out or with heavy tax bills (in Willie Nelson's case). Think it was on Rant in E-Minor.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: somersetchris on January 18, 2022, 08:01:35 PMI think it was mainly his disappointment at Jay Leno, having once been someone he had respected, as now using his position to flog Doritos. So not just advertising, but junk food. I'm not sure about bootlegs, I've only heard the official releases and I've heard the bit about making exceptions for people starting out or with heavy tax bills (in Willie Nelson's case). Think it was on Rant in E-Minor.

I've been meaning to go back and have a listen to all his stuff, it's been so long, if it's on one of the CDs then there's an extended bit I've heard in a bootleg where he goes a bit more in-depth into it. I didn't think it was on a CD because that's the one bit people always seem to forget about when talking about the bit.

Sebastian Cobb

He lets Willie Nelson off for doing Taco Bell due to a huge IRS shafting, that's most of what I remember of it.

paruses

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 18, 2022, 08:13:07 PMI've been meaning to go back and have a listen to all his stuff, it's been so long, if it's on one of the CDs then there's an extended bit I've heard in a bootleg where he goes a bit more in-depth into it. I didn't think it was on a CD because that's the one bit people always seem to forget about when talking about the bit.

I hadn't realised how long it is since I've listened to Hicks' stuff - part of that is I was such a big fan then rewatched a bit couple years ago and found it awkward as I've aged and changed since 1993 for somehow.

I think I conflated his advertising bit with the marketing/kill yourself bit and now I might have re-conflated it with Stew on TMWRNJ talking about being struck off the artistic register if you do any adverts (and I'm only 75% sure it was Stew doing that bit and not Rich).

I do remember the crows at Notts Poly cheering loads when Hicks riffed on it a bit - I imagine most of them (like me) would also be happy to take a big wedge of cash to say Nissan make good cars or a particular IPA is nice. I'd probably do it for fags, if pressed on the point.

MojoJojo

Quote from: olliebean on January 18, 2022, 01:58:20 PMThe podcast ads that wind me up are the ones that are inserted automatically by the podcast platform, with no concern for where they interrupt the content. I listened to an episode of Brian and Roger the other day that had an ad inserted literally right before the very last word of the podcast.

I believe the podcast producers are responsible for providing timestamps for when adverts should be inserted. But since the ads get inserted after all the other production has happened, mistyping a timestamp or screwing it up in some other way will often get missed.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: paruses on January 19, 2022, 07:58:02 AMI hadn't realised how long it is since I've listened to Hicks' stuff - part of that is I was such a big fan then rewatched a bit couple years ago and found it awkward as I've aged and changed since 1993 for somehow.

I think I conflated his advertising bit with the marketing/kill yourself bit and now I might have re-conflated it with Stew on TMWRNJ talking about being struck off the artistic register if you do any adverts (and I'm only 75% sure it was Stew doing that bit and not Rich).

I do remember the crows at Notts Poly cheering loads when Hicks riffed on it a bit - I imagine most of them (like me) would also be happy to take a big wedge of cash to say Nissan make good cars or a particular IPA is nice. I'd probably do it for fags, if pressed on the point.

I recently stumbled upon this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37uAVtAXFmA which is a full Hicks show from the Sane Man era that was recently discovered (it's odd seeing him so young and well-lit), still not watched it yet though but that's gonna be the vid that starts me off on a full workthrough of his stuff.

paruses

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 19, 2022, 01:15:04 PMI recently stumbled upon this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37uAVtAXFmA which is a full Hicks show from the Sane Man era that was recently discovered (it's odd seeing him so young and well-lit), still not watched it yet though but that's gonna be the vid that starts me off on a full workthrough of his stuff.

Thanks. I've watched a few minutes and will watch later. That's the Bill Hicks that I have in my head, pretty much when I think of him rather than the moodily lit, trench coat / rancher's coat of his latter years. Quite looking forward to watching this.

olliebean

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 19, 2022, 10:49:51 AMI believe the podcast producers are responsible for providing timestamps for when adverts should be inserted. But since the ads get inserted after all the other production has happened, mistyping a timestamp or screwing it up in some other way will often get missed.

If this is the case then there are definitely some podcast producers who can't be arsed, because I've heard some podcasts where the ad break routinely comes in the middle of a sentence.

Along similar lines, it amazes me how certain streaming services (All 4 and IMDB TV come to mind) are apparently incapable of putting the ad breaks at exactly the right spot, instead showing half a second of the next scene before the ad, or half a second of the previous scene after it.

markburgle

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 18, 2022, 10:31:14 PMHe lets Willie Nelson off for doing Taco Bell due to a huge IRS shafting, that's most of what I remember of it.

He also does a quick aside about "If you're a young actor, I'll look the other way", young seemingly meant as a synonym for unknown/struggling

BeardFaceMan

I see David Cross is on the latest one of these, should I listen to it or will it just make me mad? He doesn't have good form with the big American names does he?

bgmnts

David Cross has been on before and I remember him being (down to earth and) very funny.

David Cross is such a mega Britophile that he totally gets it and has good chemistry with Herring.

beanheadmcginty

Cross does a superb job of shooting down the emergency questions before they even get a chance. He's definitely heard the podcast before.

Cold Meat Platter

beanheadmcginty

Mobbd

Quote from: bgmnts on February 09, 2022, 10:24:37 PMDavid Cross is such a mega Britophile that he totally gets it and has good chemistry with Herring.

I wouldn't go that far. For Cross' first appearance, Herring was crippled by his reverence for Cross and not in a cute "I touched his briefcase" way. Cross saves the show but as a Herring fan it was hard to watch.

That thankfully doesn't happen in this second appearance but it's very blah-blah-blah and by-the-numbers and Herring clearly has little design for the conversation. There are no revelations or insights that I was able to spot (aside from Herring revealing that his people are talking to Bob Odenkirk's people about his coming on the show, presumably to plug his book and the final season of Saul) and Cross tries a couple of times to get Herring back on track and to talk about something of value.

I've sometimes found it unfair when people accuse Herring of talking too much about himself in these pods when, actually, it's just his way of establishing rapport. This time, however, I felt a couple of times that he was going on about his own shit projects too much and also implying a kind of equality to Cross' work and experience. Left me feeling pretty cold to be honest.

Mobbd

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 09, 2022, 10:38:43 PMCross does a superb job of shooting down the emergency questions before they even get a chance. He's definitely heard the podcast before.

Yeah, that was inadvertently really funny. "Okay, but I really gotta scoot." Not played as a joke! He wanted out!

Tony Yeboah

David Cross is on Lou Sanders' Cuddle Club this week as well. Different interviewing style.

paruses

It was Lou Sanders' rhlstp appearance that put me off searching out more of her stuff. I think she was "quite tired" when she was on. I will give her another go

BeardFaceMan

I had to turn this off after 40 minutes, it was one of the most boring chats I've ever heard.

somersetchris

Quote from: paruses on February 11, 2022, 04:12:41 PMIt was Lou Sanders' rhlstp appearance that put me off searching out more of her stuff. I think she was "quite tired" when she was on. I will give her another go

She completely ruined Brett Goldstein's podcast as well, which is what made me avoid anything else she has done, including RHLSTP. I think on one he did in Edinburgh, she was in the flat at the time he was recording it, and insisted on continually interrupting even though she admits she has no interest in film. She just wanted to draw attention to herself despite having nothing to add, and he was too nice to tell her to fuck off. Then the 'Christmas Special' was with her and it turned out to be (literally) a load of nothing, because she knows nothing about film. She said 'I don't want to do film club, why don't we do cuddle club instead' and I guess that's where the idea for her podcast came from, even though she had no ideas beyond the title.

SweetPomPom

Saw a Lou Sanders wip last night and she's much better in longer doses and isn't competing for attention.

DrGreggles

Lou's solo shows have been continually improving.
The last couple have been great.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 11, 2022, 09:16:18 PMLou's solo shows have been continually improving.
The last couple have been great.

I think so too, when she first started out she was a little exhausting and not as funny as I'd hoped, but the last two shows have been fantastic. That said I still struggle with her podcast appearances, and the only time I've really liked her on tv was during her season of Taskmaster.

beanheadmcginty

The only way that Jon Culshaw makes any sense if is in his mind every famous person in the world apart from Tom Baker sounds exactly the same as Jon Culshaw but with a slightly different accent. He's so bad at impressions. Apart from Tom Baker.

GolazoDan

Good timing as I'm just revisiting AIOTM for the first time since it came out (simpler times back then, hey). Dan Tetsell beginning his Richard Whiteley with "hello, I'm Richard Whiteley", classic Culshaw.

Enjoyed the Mark Watson interview from the other week, a good episode. Gonna give his audiobook thing a listen.

sutin

I really enjoyed today's ep with Charley Boorman, a man I knew nothing about. He has had a very interesting life and Rich barely got a word in.

JamesTC

Just Richard speaking into a mirror about motorcycling for 60 minutes.

mippy

The BCAP code doesn't cover podcasts, though that might change now actual radio stations are putting them together. The rule you mention is maybe more of a telly thing - not am expert on radio scheduling tbh.

Lots of comedy people do TV ad voiceovers at the moment - Isy Suttie, Katherine Parkinson, Tim Key, David Mitchell, obviously Matt Berry and Rob Brydon. Loads more "oh, it's THAT guy" I'v forgotten. Don't think Herring has though.