Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,549,363
  • Total Topics: 106,172
  • Online Today: 659
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:10:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

somersetchris

Usually I'm a Herring defender as I do think he gets a bit of an unfair kicking here, but I was really disappointed with his interview of Terry Christian. Christian was great value and has a lot to say, he's a really interesting character but it really showed how much Herring has no interest at all in music and didn't bother to do any basic research into his subject - all he did was ask him about The Word. He even misses the opportunity for the most basic follow-up questions - Christian mentions going into therapy three or four times, and not once does Herring even ask 'What brought that about then?' opting instead for 'ever tried to suck your own cock?' Also only an hour, a few years ago this would have been twice as long. He does seem to be phoning it in these days.

I thought Janina Ramirez was really good value, though. I'd not heard of her before, really interesting.

AlexTwist

Quote from: somersetchris on April 15, 2022, 05:53:47 PMUsually I'm a Herring defender as I do think he gets a bit of an unfair kicking here, but I was really disappointed with his interview of Terry Christian. Christian was great value and has a lot to say, he's a really interesting character but it really showed how much Herring has no interest at all in music and didn't bother to do any basic research into his subject - all he did was ask him about The Word. He even misses the opportunity for the most basic follow-up questions - Christian mentions going into therapy three or four times, and not once does Herring even ask 'What brought that about then?' opting instead for 'ever tried to suck your own cock?' Also only an hour, a few years ago this would have been twice as long. He does seem to be phoning it in these days.

I'm glad someone said this.  It's not just a lack of interest in music, Richard really just couldn't be arsed, and as something of an underdog himself, he should have worked harder.

somersetchris

Quote from: AlexTwist on April 15, 2022, 09:30:45 PMI'm glad someone said this.  It's not just a lack of interest in music, Richard really just couldn't be arsed, and as something of an underdog himself, he should have worked harder.

Yeah bordering on contempt, I thought. Fortunately Christian could talk on without much prompting but if I was him I'd probably come off stage feeling pretty miffed. Inviting someone on and then taking no interest, it's like every phone conversation I've ever had with my mum.

Twilkes

Reading the blog, the main reason for getting Terry Christian in was so he would have Lee & Herring lookalikes on the same night. And Charley Boorman got interviewed first so maybe he had run out of steam after the interval.

Twilkes

22nd Feb 2022: "I had been thinking of booking Terry Christian to go alongside Charley Boorman on the 7th March RHLSTP, partly because I thought he'd be a great guest, but partly because it would be funny to have a whole night of Lee and Herring lookalikes."

7th March: [after paragraphs of how much Charley looks like Richard] "Charley was then, as expected, excellent value on RHLSTP, though I failed to get a photo of him and Terry Christian together in the interval (I'd planned to use that as the photo for Terry's episode). I don't think I've met Terry before and his is a fascinating story too."

Video Game Fan 2000

It's late and I can't sleep so here's an opinion I have that Terry Christian always looked more like Kevin Eldon than Stewart Lee. This is the absolute truth and if you disagree with me that counts as supporting Kier Starmer, sorry. edit : its not just the hair

Twilkes

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on April 16, 2022, 03:18:35 AMIt's late and I can't sleep so here's an opinion I have that Terry Christian always looked more like Kevin Eldon than Stewart Lee. This is the absolute truth and if you disagree with me that counts as supporting Kier Starmer, sorry. edit : its not just the hair

Looking at google images, kind of agree with that - he had the hair and attitude of a Stewart Lee, but the rubbery face and eyes of a Kevin Eldon, lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes.

somersetchris

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on April 16, 2022, 03:18:35 AMIt's late and I can't sleep so here's an opinion I have that Terry Christian always looked more like Kevin Eldon than Stewart Lee. This is the absolute truth and if you disagree with me that counts as supporting Kier Starmer, sorry. edit : its not just the hair

It comes from a Stewart Lee bit, where people comment on his appearance and say 'Blimey, X has let himself go' with a list of celebrities who look a lot, a bit, or nothing at all like him. So it's not about which other celebrity Terry Christian looks most like. Although I bet Kevin Eldon could do a pretty passable Stewart Lee impression.

Video Game Fan 2000

Jeepers dude why not explain the Dead Parrot sketch on a Monty Python messageboard

Beagle 2

Jamie Demetriou was very enjoyable, especially in the second half when he warmed up a bit. Great to hear that he's keen to do more with Stath, and also exciting that he wants to do something music based for his next project - I didn't really know about that side but having seen this, wow, that family has some talent.

somersetchris

Jamie Demetriou seems like a really lovely bloke, although I'm not a big Stath fan at all he comes across really well in every interview he does, it made me go back and try Stath Lets Flats again because I didn't get on with it at all at first. It does seem a bit like self-doubt really holds him back, I hope he gets past that.

Pink Gregory

He really pleased me on another podcast (Films to be Buried With I think) in which he brought up the concept of 'generic playing' as kids.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 28, 2022, 06:24:01 PMHe really pleased me on another podcast (Films to be Buried With I think) in which he brought up the concept of 'generic playing' as kids.

His story on that about his dad watching films on TV at Christmas is so funny.

frajer

I stopped listening to RHLSTP for a while but really, really enjoyed the recent Ardal O'Hanlon episode. Recommended.

A cracking listen all the way through but the following exchange in the first 5 minutes made me laugh a lot:

HERRING: "You were in Robbie the Reindeer: Close Encounters of the Herd Kind, which was the third one."
O'HANLON: "Well I was in the first one."
HERRING: "You were in all three."
O'HANLON: "Ah yeah."

Twilkes

A live Twitch of Fun, finally, with a heavily coked-up audience apparently; skimming through it actually sounds pretty good, although there's probably a huge amount of goodwill in the audience. And he's started up a RHLSTP Book Club, getting some decent guests, so the low-key entrepreneurship continues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpq0mKBfYKs

robhug

This very weekend I saw Emergency Questions in the Rhyl branch of the Works on a 50% off everything section with a label already reducing it to £0.50, so you could have picked it up for £0.25. I also think they may be open to offers.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: robhug on June 15, 2022, 12:52:44 PMThis very weekend I saw Emergency Questions in the Rhyl branch of the Works on a 50% off everything section with a label already reducing it to £0.50, so you could have picked it up for £0.25. I also think they may be open to offers.

There's one in my local Sue Ryder for £1.25 that I refuse to buy as I hate the fucking things and think it spoils the podcast, though I am tempted to do so and then set fire to it and send the video to Herring, hell, I might even make it in to a regular series.*

*I am not this petty. Just.

superthunderstingcar

This could backfire. If you destroy enough copies in circulation, it could push up the value of the ones that are left.

Cold Meat Platter

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: robhug on June 15, 2022, 12:52:44 PMThis very weekend I saw Emergency Questions in the Rhyl branch of the Works on a 50% off everything section with a label already reducing it to £0.50, so you could have picked it up for £0.25. I also think they may be open to offers.

"Would you like me to take these and burn them for you?"

beanheadmcginty

First RHLSTP worth listening to in absolute aeons came out this week. Really enjoyable chat with Kunt from Kunt and the Gang. Comes across as a really sound, naturally funny bloke.

Mr Vegetables

I once recognised Richard Herring on the street and he looked so delighted someone had

Alberon

An interview with Herring in the money section of the Telegraph. Interesting for what exactly he earned doing stuff over the years. Here's most of it if you can't get through the paywall.

QuoteAre you a saver or a spender?

A little of both. I didn't have money for a long time so when I did I put a deposit down on a flat. I knew money was coming. I borrowed £10,000 from my parents and paid them back. We did four series of the TV show Fist of Fun and it was towards the end of that. I was 10 years as a double act with Stewart Lee, losing money for the first five years.

I would lose £2,000-£3,000 every Edinburgh [Festival Fringe] I performed at. The second five years we were on TV, which meant I'd make £10,000-£20,000 the next year. We got maybe £30,000 a series for the last two series, which in 1998-99 was huge.

Which early job gave you the most financial security?

Writing 37 episodes of Time Gentlemen Please in 2001-02, which I did mainly on my own. I was paid £10,000 an episode and there were residuals as well. When things got a bit lean a cheque for £50,000 would turn up, two or three times over seven years. But it got smaller and smaller: I got one the other day for £20.

What has been your best financial decision?

I made an unexpected windfall from the podcast. Electricity company Bulb was a sponsor and if you signed up new �members you'd get £50 and they'd get £50.

Because my podcast has always been free I said to my listeners: "This is renewable energy. It seems like a cool company." It has since gone out of business, but not because of this! I accrued enough money that I haven't paid an electricity bill for five years.

What is the most you've lost on a production?

I lost £45,000 on a play in Edinburgh, I Killed Rasputin, which people didn't come to. It cost a lot of money. I've done the Edinburgh Fringe for 26 of the past 30-odd years.

The past few years I've made money there so I've broken even overall. Again, a lot of tours just broke even.

Before the podcast took off it was my main way of earning money, but given the amount of work you might end up with £1,000 a gig. And we'd make a little extra selling DVDs when they were a thing.

With books I've always had reasonable advances, £20,000 to £30,000, but it's a lot of work writing a book.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/fame-fortune/havent-paid-energy-bill-five-years/

Most amusing for the comments where most people are huffing that they've never heard of Herring and/or he isn't funny. Plus a 'businessman in his suit and tie' comment.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Alberon on August 01, 2022, 10:42:04 AMAn interview with Herring in the money section of the Telegraph. Interesting for what exactly he earned doing stuff over the years. Here's most of it if you can't get through the paywall.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/fame-fortune/havent-paid-energy-bill-five-years/

I'm not a subscriber and the whole article is showing for me.

The 'four series of Fist of Fun' bit is weird, but maybe it's the Telegraph sub combining the TMWRNJ series.

QuoteMost amusing for the comments where most people are huffing that they've never heard of Herring and/or he isn't funny. Plus a 'businessman in his suit and tie' comment.

I liked
QuoteWhat about the thousands he's made stone clearing - I bet he won't be mentioning THAT to the tax man.

boki

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 30, 2022, 10:03:07 PMFirst RHLSTP worth listening to in absolute aeons came out this week. Really enjoyable chat with Kunt from Kunt and the Gang. Comes across as a really sound, naturally funny bloke.
It was really good, you could tell that he genuinely likes Kunt's work.

Mobbd

The Bulb thing is good Accidental Partridge somehow.

I felt sorry for him in the early days and admiring of the hard work he put into something he believed in, but then I got pissed about the large size of his book advances.

(£10k is more normal, many authors forced to accept as little as £200. He's mentioned elsewhere that he never makes the advance back for the publishers.)