Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 09:23:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 22, 2020, 03:25:05 PM
This appears to be just him filming himself walking about though, maybe he hires an editor for the proper podcasts but otherwise I can't imagine how anyone else could be involved.

should get christopher nolan to film it, add some exposition, some time travel, do some non liniear edits. people would fuckin lap it up

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Hand Solo on August 22, 2020, 04:58:34 PM
I've definitely heard it floated around before, and as has been said, it's difficult to google it to confirm because of his association with Al Murray. But it just makes sense anybody who makes a bit of quick money invariably move into property investment.

are you thinking of hannibal burres?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 22, 2020, 02:35:13 PM
Just watching a live episode of his Stone Clearing podcast, and heard that he's trying to raise £20,000 for more episodes on kickstarter. Now I've only watched about 10 minutes so far, but it seems to be an old bloke picking up stones and moaning about how shit his life is, is that always what it is? I mean, surely there's more to it than that, right? And either way, how can he be asking twenty grand for footage of him fucking about in a field?
I stopped listening to it because the joke wore off quite quickly, and it just became exactly what you describe. I don't think it would work as a comic concept with video, either. It just becomes the world's dullest documentary at that point. All he needs is something with a mic that can record sound, surely?

Pranet

Quote from: Hand Solo on August 22, 2020, 04:58:34 PM
I've definitely heard it floated around before, and as has been said, it's difficult to google it to confirm because of his association with Al Murray. But it just makes sense anybody who makes a bit of quick money invariably move into property investment.

I think someone on here once asked "is he a landlord or something" and it periodically comes up misremembered as fact.

I could be wrong, but as he put it, the money from the Al Murray sitcom and overseas sales of Talking Cock enabled him to put down a deposit on a fairly big house in London- the one he lived in- and at times the mortgage was a stretch. I  don't think he has ever earned enough money to become a "bigtime landlord". But if anyone has any evidence otherwise...

Sebastian Cobb

I doubt he's a big time landlord given there's lots of evidence he has absolutely no financial acumen.

Hand Solo

Aren't most MPs 'bigtime Landlords' on the quiet, so it seemed quite plausible? They also vote through a lot of stuff that helps them generally accrue more property and wealth at the expense of the tenants? Just thought it was a logical step for a fixed income someone would make doing fly by night shows and tours whenever they were strapped for cash. Thinking about it Al Murray definitely seems the type to be shimmying up that greasy lucrative p(r)ole, and appealing to the lower classes using his Landlord character he's hiding in plain sight, the solvency Savile.

olliebean

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 22, 2020, 04:42:18 PM
That's 50 quid a head! Now I doubt everyone's chipping in that, which means some people are chipping in way more. Baffling.

Doesn't he use the Kickstarter rewards to sell sponsorships? So the larger donations will be businesses paying him to mention them in the podcast, not just individual fans.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Hand Solo on August 22, 2020, 07:37:42 PM
Aren't most MPs 'bigtime Landlords' on the quiet, so it seemed quite plausible? They also vote through a lot of stuff that helps them generally accrue more property and wealth at the expense of the tenants? Just thought it was a logical step for a fixed income someone would make doing fly by night shows and tours whenever they were strapped for cash. Thinking about it Al Murray definitely seems the type to be shimmying up that greasy lucrative p(r)ole, and appealing to the lower classes using his Landlord character he's hiding in plain sight, the solvency Savile.

Slight thread swerve but I was reading an interview with Suggs recently where he was asked if he owned any property, and he said, no, he'd almost always rented (adding the old joke about only drinking herbal tea because proper tea is theft).  Anyway, I found that surprising.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on August 22, 2020, 08:42:14 PM
Slight thread swerve but I was reading an interview with Suggs recently where he was asked if he owned any property, and he said, no, he'd almost always rented (adding the old joke about only drinking herbal tea because proper tea is theft).  Anyway, I found that surprising.

Madness.

He should change the words to his songs, then. Not our house, in the middle of not our street. Welcome to the bedsit of fun. I go driving in my rented car etc

Rolf Lundgren

20k. I can't get over that. Please provide a breakdown of your costs and workings, thanks.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on August 23, 2020, 10:23:16 PM
20k. I can't get over that. Please provide a breakdown of your costs and workings, thanks.

chveik

frajer

Used to appreciate the interviews he did but he really is a cheeky money-spinning bastard these days.

QuoteThe money raised will go towards making the merchandise and creating more podcasts. These items will not be available to purchase elsewhere, making them potentially a good investment - in the past items have sold at up to 5 times their kickstarter value.

On the other hand, keep your money as, even with the current financial fuckdown, I really doubt you'll be getting 5 times what you paid for an "I'm a Secret Stone Clearer" t-shirt or a Witch's Dick.

Sebastian Cobb

The merch thing always seemed shite even when it was low value stuff. Look mate I'm chucking you a quid, I'm a grown adult I don't need some shitty plastic badge I'll never wear honouring that fact, I don't even want it cluttering up me house.

buzby

On the landlord thing - he sold his flat in Balham in 2003 and moved into a house in Shepherd's Bush (presumably bought with his TGP money). He married Catherine Wilkins in 2012 and they had their first child in 2015. They sold the house in 2017 and moved to a run-down house in a village near Hitchin in Hertfordshire that needed loads of work doing on it (they had previously rented a flat in Harpenden in 2012 while their house in Shepherd's Bush was being renovated). Catherine was pregnant at the time with their second child and ended up having to move back in with her parents as the house wasn't in a fit state to live in when they moved.

Their company (Not Bad Actually Ltd, changed from BIC & JC Ltd in 2018) made £163k over 2018-2019 and they owed creditors £47k (down from £75k the previous year). They don't have any other directorships, and the assets of the company aren't large enough for there to be any property.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: kitsofan34 on August 22, 2020, 04:17:29 PM
It's already up to 10,000 with over 200 backers. Fucking mental.

Given that (I think) it's been running for a month it might not hit it's goal for once, it's now near to £14,000 but with only 3 days left, and so he might not be successful, and as it's kickstarter it's an all or nothing situation.

Quotein the past items have sold at up to 5 times their kickstarter value.

I'd love to know what he's referring to there.

frajer

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 25, 2020, 10:21:58 AM
I'd love to know what he's referring to there.

Not sure but that's the bit that narked me as it feels disingenuous bordering on opportunistic. I presume it happened once, with one bit of tat, and feels like a piss-off take to suggest it's an "investment opportunity".

Hand Solo

QuoteThe money raised will go towards making the merchandise and creating more podcasts. These items will not be available to purchase elsewhere, making them potentially a good investment - in the past items have sold at up to 5 times their kickstarter value.

Mickey Rooney: Hi, Milhouse. The studio sent me to talk to you, being a former child star myself, and the number one box office draw from 1939 to 1940.

Bart: Wow, spanning two decades.

sutin

Quote from: Shaky on June 07, 2020, 12:56:49 AMThe weird thing is, you could make the claim that Herring is doing better in someways than Lee. Top rated podcast, a fairly global contact list... he just doesn't have the same level of respect as a comic, I guess, and maybe that's what really rankles.

That's him alright. He would never see himself as more successful than Lee because he has to do the podcast himself, whereas Lee got commissioned by the BBC. He made a quip on the 200th RHLSTP last year along the lines of 'I thought this would have lead to a TV show by now, but hey'. He wants the approval of others, which made his 'podcasts are better than TV and radio because there's less censorship' stance in the AIOTM days a bit disingenuous.

frajer

I'm always impressed with how prolific Herring is and how much content he produces, but I'd say it's definitely at a deficit to the quality.  Also I'm not sure if the BBC did get involved that any show produced would be worth it.

I think the filmed version of As It Occurs To Me revealed a lot. He raised enough funding for a series worth of broadcast-quality comedy, with complete creative freedom, and the end product felt uninspired and lacking. I'm sure it has its fans, but when I watched the first few it did feel like a lot of money being pissed up the wall for the sake of rehashing old material but with expensive cameras pointed at it.

sutin

I could never really get on with AIOTM. It just felt lazy and uninspired, even at it's best. Collings & Herring and RHLSTP/Edinburgh Fringe Podcast are the only online content he's done that holds up IMO. I tried listening to that Ally & Herring thing the other day, Jesus Christ that was tough-going.

kitsofan34

We're now up to 441 backers, with 48 hours to go. Eighteen-thousand-nine-hundred-and-sixty-six pounds raised. That's an average donation of 43 pounds. Very cool. Guys, please, we're so close, if you can just kick a quid or two over to Rich it'd mean the world, let's get him over the finishing line!!! 💪💪💪

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: kitsofan34 on August 26, 2020, 11:12:16 PM
We're now up to 441 backers, with 48 hours to go. Eighteen-thousand-nine-hundred-and-sixty-six pounds raised. That's an average donation of 43 pounds. Very cool. Guys, please, we're so close, if you can just kick a quid or two over to Rich it'd mean the world, let's get him over the finishing line!!! 💪💪💪

And you did it Kitsofan34, Richard Herring can now produce more amazing content all thanks to you. The suggestion that the final thousand pounds was donated by a mysterious Ms. C Wilkins is a scandalous accusation however, and I'll see you in court if you even hint at it again.

kitsofan34

pigamus

Dusty Substance

Michael Fenton-Stevens is on the latest Lockdown RHLSTP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNXAeBaRG54

First one I've dipped into for yonks. Ten minutes in and the Groovy Gang's already been mentioned.

beanheadmcginty

Despite seeing him in everything, I never knew what this bloke's name was until now.

paruses

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 07, 2020, 06:10:26 PM
Despite seeing him in everything, I never knew what this bloke's name was until now.

Ah - it's the man I always think is Philip Pope

DrGreggles