Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:52:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiftwork2

Really?  Bit harsh on old Al there I think.  He contributes much more than just being the moderator.

Chicory

Ach, maybe.  You're not wrong.  My monthly fiver is going nowhere because it's still 90% brilliant.  I think at this point it's pure claustrophobic over familiarity.  They all irritate me slightly in one way or another, like family members or friends you've known for decades.  Maybe I should 'see other podcasts' for a bit.

jamiefairlie

Taylor's point about our modern day ills being due to the Second World War wearing off was, typically, incredibly astute sand incisive. That guy is a treasure.

bigfatheart

I had a Chart Music-related dream last night (sadly not featuring the Sikh lad out of Showaddywaddy). Obviously posts about people's dreams are tedious, so feel free to skip over this.

They'd finally got around to doing a Chart Music live event, except instead of it being like a show or something, it was a weird conference-type event in a village hall where each Chart Music regular had a stall and you just wandered about, hearing them tell stories from their time working for the Maker. There was a seventh contributor in the dream whose name I can't remember, but he was a pleasant, laid-back guy with long hair and an acoustic guitar who seemed far too young to actually have been working for the Maker, and I felt quite embarrassed because I was certain he had never actually been on Chart Music, but everyone seemed to just accept that yep, there he was. He did seem quite nice, even if he didn't really seem to fit in with the rest of them in any way shape or form.

Taylor was telling a story about coming home to find a Radiohead fan had broken into his flat to harangue him for giving them a bad review. The fan was actually quite articulate and made some well-argued points, but they were clearly unstable and kept breaking down in tears. It was a very sad story.

I went off to find David's stall, but he was running late due to some travel difficulties that nobody seemed quite sure about. So I went off to Neil's stall, except I was there with a friend who doesn't listen to Chart Music and had only come along to give me a lift so I could drink, and this friend started loudly and obnoxiously going on about how great Oasis were and I began to feel very nervous. At which point I woke up.

wrec

Excellent stuff there @bigfatheart

Thought they were a little hard on the amiably harmless Inspirals too. For me they get a pass for getting MES on TOTP, and incidentally Clint Boon was good on the Hanleys' Oh Brother podcast recently. Interesting that Sarah and Simon were easier on them before - I sometimes think Sarah gets lured by the others into being more negative than she would be otherwise.

Agreed with the general assessment of The Mission. They're one of the few bands I was really into as a kid that I can't handle now, stodgy AF and failing to transcend their ludicrous aspects in the way the Sisters of Mercy and The Cult do.

The brief mention of Birdland drew a blank so I looked them up, and have only the vaguest memory of them. If you're in the same boat, have a think as to what the worst possible choice of Patti Smith song to cover for a single would be, and marvel at their headlong dive into an ocean of cringe that would make Gillespie blush.

non capisco

famethrowa

Throughout the series, the word "fingerbobs" is mentioned more than one might expect.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: shiftwork2 on June 25, 2022, 09:11:55 AMReally?  Bit harsh on old Al there I think.  He contributes much more than just being the moderator.

I am spitting nails!!! It was EXTREMELY harsh. No Al, no CMP. You must have a non-music journalist in the mix to keep the guy ropes in place. To say Needham is not knowledgeable and disinterested in music is complete top of the poppycocks.

Clearly, Chicory can't have been listening to the same podcast as me. They should go back to listening to their old podca... (Snip!-Ed)

Yours furiously
S. Brundle
Fleet.

boki

Quote from: bigfatheart on June 25, 2022, 07:48:29 PMThere was a seventh contributor in the dream whose name I can't remember, but he was a pleasant, laid-back guy with long hair and an acoustic guitar who seemed far too young to actually have been working for the Maker, and I felt quite embarrassed because I was certain he had never actually been on Chart Music, but everyone seemed to just accept that yep, there he was.

Surely if there were to be a seventh presence, it would have to be Chris Needham. Your subconscious is weird.

boki

Dead Ringer For Love has come on in the pub and it's reminded me of said song's glorious coverage on the podcast.

Rizla

Funny when Taylor mentioned being thankful that the other Dire Straits guitarist was "still with us", when of course the drummer out of Dire Straits was Pick Withers.

JohnnyYen

Have to say I thought TP was harsh on TIHIF. I mean it's not well-served by the granny clapping, the vocal is less than majestic, and they do look like absolute bellends, but I like the organ sound, the harmonies, and the lyric is a genuinely moving little vignette of Northern grimness. 

Norton Canes

It seems especially bizarre that he castigates sex symbol Tom Hingley for singing on the beat, thus by extension damning any song that doesn't feature syncopation. For me, the resultant flatness really accentuates the song's funereal air. If anything's lacking, it's some extra detail in the lyrics - the first verse sets things up nicely, making us think we're in for some tragic domestic tear-jerker of a song like Excerpt From A Teenage Opera, but the narrative just fizzles out. It was, as they point out on CMP, the band's first release on Mute Records - I wonder if this is a bit of a half-hearted stab at a big 'statement' song to announce their arrival. The sleeve, with its shot of the interior of Liverpool Catholic Cathedral, certainly suggests something epic:

The song's right down the episode's running order, isn't it. By this time the podcast has been going like about three hours. Is there any correlation between how tired the participants are becoming and how favourably they rate the music?

phantom_power

The singing on the beat thing only happens at the start of each verse as well. It changes as the song goes on

JohnnyYen

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 24, 2022, 09:23:10 AMI thought the Carpets were OK, and did a few nice-sounding singles, but TIHIF isn't one of them.

I've met Clint Boon though - great name; lovely guy.
Always liked this too:

Yeah, I've met Boon a few times, very nice chap. That whole album is pretty good, there's a few songs on there still get into my rotation regularly.

Egyptian Feast

I'm sure he's a nice bloke but I had to switch off his Star Test (on the video playlist) after 5 minutes because he took so long to answer every question and was repeatedly moping about something Shaun Ryder had said that had clearly upset him ("Clueless Bez" or something that sounded like 'Bez' anyway). He was sending me to sleep by the second category.

Wayne Hussey's Star Test (also in the playlist) was much more engaging even if he didn't throw his shoes at the computer.

non capisco

Has anyone ever seen that supposedly mortifying Rob Newman appearance on James Whale they mention uploaded anywhere?

jamiefairlie

Heard the Peel session version first and was disappointed with the album version when it came out. Sounded muted (ha!) by comparison.

https://youtu.be/TRnGX3GbYI4

Another excellent episode, but an unusual clamour of dissent from the pop-crazed phimotic balding youngsters re. the Inspiral Carpets it seems. I for one, and despite the name, rather liked "Revenge of the Goldfish" as an album.

phantom_power

I really liked The Beast Inside but think that is probably just me

boki

It's time once again to buy 347 copies of Warriors Of Genghis Khan Geoff Sex, pop-crazed Patreons.

non capisco

Quote from: boki on June 28, 2022, 05:25:06 PMIt's time once again to buy 347 copies of Warriors Of Genghis Khan Geoff Sex, pop-crazed Patreons.

Wonder what the "moderately sizeable announcement" will be that Al mentions to be prepared for?

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: non capisco on June 27, 2022, 03:56:49 PMHas anyone ever seen that supposedly mortifying Rob Newman appearance on James Whale they mention uploaded anywhere?

Thread about it here from 2004, the clip has never turned up anywhere as far as I know?

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=2816.0

DrGreggles

Quote from: non capisco on June 28, 2022, 05:37:37 PMWonder what the "moderately sizeable announcement" will be that Al mentions to be prepared for?

Chart Music LIVE!

KennyMonster

Another to say that the coating down of The Inspirals was overly harsh and wrong.

TIHIF was a great song back in the day and The Inspirals were apparantly a well liked live band too.
I never saw them but I did see The Clint Boon Experience and liked them.

The anger Taylor in particular seemed to have for them seemed to be way OTT and pointless.
Its not like they dominated things or fucked around with another band or something, they were just mildly successful for a bit, what's the issue.

I can understand the Primal Scream stuff because they and Gillespie have been a lot more prominent and Gillespie seems to have has been a coked-up dickhead on many occasions, but why target these guys?

It brings to mind an early CM episode where Pricey boasted that in a review he said he wanted to skull f*ck The Sultan's Of Ping FC in the eye socket.

Very big and clever, Gloriously punching down 30 odd years down the line.

Pointless guffs. 

famethrowa

rilk

Fucking get in! Couldn't have booked that faster

Egyptian Feast

Nice, I got a BUMMERDOG discount. See you in the pub afterwards.

gilbertharding

Quote from: famethrowa on June 29, 2022, 12:05:38 PMWell it's all opinions innit

It's a little like kicking puppies in this particular case though.