Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:39:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pain in the eBay arse

Started by kalowski, August 30, 2020, 07:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Toxteth OGrady on March 12, 2022, 06:50:09 PMOverall it was pulled as counterfeit or an unauthorised copy. Small print includes bootlegs. Fair play it's by no means an official release:

https://www.discogs.com/release/4987852-Pink-Floyd-Limited-Edition-Interview-Picture-Disc-

In the 80's/90's I was told that the reason Baktabak were able to get away with selling their interview discs in the regular record shops was because the copyright law was different regarding spoken words, so they couldn't sell bootlegs of music in the shops but they had free reign with interviews.  So given that, it's weird that eBay and discogs don't like people selling them.

Thanks, I agree.

I can't imagine it would impact on the official market for records where Nick Mason talks about his cars while an interviewer repeatedly asks for (and fails to get) funny stories from the tours.

Icehaven

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 12, 2022, 06:13:22 PMI bought a book off eBay last week, described as like new, and when it arrived there was an After Eight mint squished between the back page and dust jacket. All smeared it was. Got a full refund and the book for free but feel a bit queasy about it tbh.

I bought a "like new" book a few years back and received a badly nicotine stained ex library book, covered in library stamps and still with the date label inside. It was supposed to be a gift for someone so I complained and got a full refund plus they told me to keep it rather than return it. Still had to find another one and hope that wasn't in a similar state though.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Toxteth OGrady on March 13, 2022, 09:23:21 AMThanks, I agree.

I can't imagine it would impact on the official market for records where Nick Mason talks about his cars while an interviewer repeatedly asks for (and fails to get) funny stories from the tours.

I think I had the Pink Floyd one.  Those Baktabak interviews always seemed to be long sprawling journalists interviews, and the sound was often poor because they just had a dictaphone on the table. It's probably all they were legally able to use because even a radio interview would have required the rights of the radio station.

Attila

Not eBay, but Etsy and a similar site: I've discovered in the past few weeks of searching for handspindles a whole new world of crazy when it comes to sales tactics. That is, make an announcement to your faithful followers on a discussion board that at, for example, 12pm, you will be dropping onto your shop front ten new spindles/items -- so that the feeding frenzy commences.

Maybe there are other crafts and things that do that, but I've only come across it recently with these crafters who make spinning and weaving tools. It's bonkers -- I'm fine with requesting a bespoke tool that might put me on a 3 month waiting list, but it's too much crazy to be poking F5 repeatedly to try to get an item. Not only does everything sell out within minutes, but one site has their Word Press business site set up with a security thing that will block you from their site for 30 days if you click refresh more than 6 times in a minute.

Which you have to do, because if they upload 10 items, you have to keep clicking 'next' to get to them, as they upload them with one item on its own page, rather than all at once on the shop page. And you're in competition with people buying them for the sake of buying them (I have found if I hang out on the discussion boards on Ravelry, a lot of these items show up in destashing threads because people realise they don't need 17 Turkish spindles or whatever).

I find it aggravating (especially getting locked off the website for a month), but I guess it's one way to ensure you sell out of all of your stock every week.

Alberon

I've got loads listed for sale on Ebay. Mostly old comics from when I was a collector thirty plus years ago. I'm not selling everything, but only stuff I don't care for or don't remember I even had.

The really expensive stuff like a signed copy of The Sandman issue 1 I'm keeping, but I've still managed to sell some single manga issues for over forty quid. The best was a boxed set of Cowboy Bebop manga I bought over fifteen years ago and completely forgot about which had apparently become quite collectable. Got £150 for that. A lot of what I'm selling is mostly going for just a few pounds and I'm only doing it as I hate just throwing out stuff.

Mostly I've not been messed around. Had a few speculative offers put in, but none really taking the piss.

Years and years ago I got screwed over buying a South Park bootleg DVD set. I knew it wasn't legit when I bid, but when I got it two of the discs were scratched and the third was missing completely. I put a complaint in, won, but the guy wouldn't pay up. A year or so later, though, out of the blue he did. I assumed he just wanted to get back on Ebay and they wouldn't let him until he paid.

Catalogue of ills

I don't know how offers on ebay are supposed to work in practice, I've never accepted one. Maybe they work for expensive items that have been up for a while, where someone might knock a bit off for a sale, but the offers I get are often below the minimum bid price or just over. Mmmm, now let me see - the answer is 'suck my unwashed cock'. Why would I accept an offer, when that person could just put a bid on for the same amount?

Memorex MP3

I often list things at a deliberately high price so I've control of the sales process. Never do auctions but I could see myself accepting an offer just to get the sale done with.

touchingcloth

I use buy-it-now with no auction option quite often for higher value items where an auction would potentially risk a win at well below the going rates. If I sell a camera lens, I'll list it at the highest price I've seen a successful listing go for for the same lens, but with the option of accepting offers to help gauge interest. I'm a risk averse person, so I prefer doing things that way knowing that while I won't luck out with a surprisingly high bidding war, I also won't lose out due to too few bids.

Bently Sheds

I'm currently in the process of selling something on ebay, usually I put stuff as Auction Only, but for some reason this listing's got "Make An Offer" enabled. Some cunt has offered me £15 less than the starting price (when identical things have sold for much more than this is starting at), I countered with £5 off, the cunt came back with exactly the same offer as the first time. Cheeky fucker. I'd rather not sell it than let that cunt get it.

Ray Travez

I know what you mean. Block him.

Some of these lowballers piss me off. I might be selling a shirt for £15, they offer £10, so I come down to £12.50... and, that's the last i hear from them. Play ball you cheapskate cunt! I tend to have offers disabled now. If someone wants cash off they'll message you.

Memorex MP3

If you're getting annoyed by people making stupidly low prices (and below starting bid is beyond moronic), it's on you for not having auto reject enabled surely? Or are there types of sales where you can't set that up?

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on March 14, 2022, 09:35:41 PMIf you're getting annoyed by people making stupidly low prices (and below starting bid is beyond moronic), it's on you for not having auto reject enabled surely? Or are there types of sales where you can't set that up?

I didn't even know about that function. Will check it out thanks

Sherman Krank

I've noticed that the experienced sellers who do 'make an offer' will usually have their BIN or starting price set higher than the item is worth.
For example, say the item usually goes for around £50. They'll have their starting price at £75 expecting someone to offer £40, they'll then counter with £60 but accept £50 thus getting at least the market value for it.

The ones I don't get are the sellers who start an auction at 99p but with a reserve set and a BIN price listed. What is point? If your BIN is £400 it's not as though your reserve is going to set at a tenner.

phes

I sent an offer of £45 out to watchers on a pair of shoes I have on BIN for £50. Pretty fair I thought. I got a counter offer of £30, which I rejected. I then received two further messages from the potential buyer, one disgruntled £35 offer and subsequently an angry message saying about how he simply won't be pushed higher than £40 and this is THE LAST TIME I WILL HAVE A CHANCE!

They sold to a new watcher on buy it now for £50 a couple of hours later and I'm still soaring on the smugness of this whole pathetic mini affair

kalowski

Weird people in this world.
If I make an offer I accept that the seller is in control. What's the point of moaning at someone who is selling. I bet you wish you could get back in touch with them to say "thanks for the offer but it sold very well, thank you"

phes

Quote from: kalowski on May 29, 2022, 08:49:05 AMWeird people in this world.
If I make an offer I accept that the seller is in control. What's the point of moaning at someone who is selling. I bet you wish you could get back in touch with them to say "thanks for the offer but it sold very well, thank you"

Presumably I could as they messaged me outside of the offer process.

'Thanks for the offer, I sold them for £35 to someone who isn't an asshole'

Dex Sawash

Was working on a customer's 1990 Volvo that had been parked for 10 years in between real jobs over the last month. A back  burner project, entire fuel system gummed up with dead fuel. Warned customer it was a terrible idea to try and the layers of problems keeping it from running now would be expensive.

I bought a set of fuel injectors for it due to his being rust-clogged. Picked a seller on ebay who had tons of old Volvo parts on ebay and several sets of the correct injectors just in case one of four was bad, they would have more. Bought a set of 4/$55 and only one of them even worked a little. Called him on the number from a business card from the package so could assure him I wasn't an ebay tosser and tell him the testing I did to verify these injectors were shit. He says he will send another set for $70 more as a favo(u)r, as this other set he would normally sell for $300.

DGAF as we are passing on the cost to the customer but that was fucked up. Needless to say, we both had the last laugh.

$2200 later, the car turned out to be better than it should have been but easily will need another $2k in next few months.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

friend of mine had something up on ebay that didn't sell. someone got in touch and said "hey I noticed this didn't sell, would you accept [bit cheaper] in cash and meet in town?" which they did, no issues. few weeks later he gets a message from ebay invoicing him for their cut for a transaction he did outside the website. he's never one to just make shit up but that sounds pretty wild. who's to say the transaction even happened and they didn't cancel/get hit by a bus on the way ?

touchingcloth

I would like to suggest to Beelzebub and all his little imps of eternal bumming that they set aside a special corner of hell for people who place multiple best offers with different sellers at the same time fully intending to only go through with the best counteroffer they receive back.

That's not what the function's for, mate, now come and sit in this corner and get buggered forever. Take your pick of the imps - this one's cock's thorny, and this one's is made of pineapples.

Alberon

Had someone bid on an old anime DVD I was selling. They won and then didn't pay. Wouldn't respond to emails at all. So I cancelled the auction and relisted it. The same person bid again, and I thought, 'okay, maybe they couldn't pay or contact for some reason'. So I let it ride. They won and then again no contact and no payment. I've checked their account and they're not selling anything similar. Not selling anything at all. As far as I can tell no one else in the country is selling the same DVD on ebay.

Fortunately you can change your settings to reject any bid by someone who's had a win cancelled for non-payment twice so I'm not bothered by them anymore.

But what was that all about?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Alberon on May 29, 2022, 01:37:27 PMHad someone bid on an old anime DVD I was selling. They won and then didn't pay. Wouldn't respond to emails at all. So I cancelled the auction and relisted it. The same person bid again, and I thought, 'okay, maybe they couldn't pay or contact for some reason'. So I let it ride. They won and then again no contact and no payment. I've checked their account and they're not selling anything similar. Not selling anything at all. As far as I can tell no one else in the country is selling the same DVD on ebay.

Fortunately you can change your settings to reject any bid by someone who's had a win cancelled for non-payment twice so I'm not bothered by them anymore.

But what was that all about?

Fetish. It's like those people who call suicide hotlines wanking.

Neomod

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on May 29, 2022, 01:05:59 PMfriend of mine had something up on ebay that didn't sell. someone got in touch and said "hey I noticed this didn't sell, would you accept [bit cheaper] in cash and meet in town?" which they did, no issues. few weeks later he gets a message from ebay invoicing him for their cut for a transaction he did outside the website. he's never one to just make shit up but that sounds pretty wild. who's to say the transaction even happened and they didn't cancel/get hit by a bus on the way ?

Was he messaged via the ebay message system? If so I guess it's monitored by ebay for that very purpose.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Yeah was ebay messaging, so like you say probably all sorts of words/phrases that get flagged so they don't miss out

my main gripe at the minute is sellers not leaving feedback after you've left positive for them. if I had an issue with an item some would be falling over themselves to fix it in case I left negative feedback and dented their perfect score but recently once I've done my bit, paid instantly, left positive feedback it's all "arsed, mate, i've got mine" I've got an ebay score to bump up too you know!!

Malcy

Don't think I've ever had a bad experience through eBay. Often sellers have gone that little bit extra which I have always been thankful for.

Mind you, I never went near it for a long time as in the early days of the site and probably DVD's as well, my dad bought a DVD player on this new fangled thing called eBay and instead of receiving a player he got a pirate copy of the first Fast & Furious film.

Once i got the hang of automatic bidding etc It's been great. I have bought things that i cherish, have been glad to get the only copy of, and lots of other reasons. But fuck becoming a seller.

Ray Travez

Quote from: phes on May 29, 2022, 08:36:38 AMI sent an offer of £45 out to watchers on a pair of shoes I have on BIN for £50. Pretty fair I thought. I got a counter offer of £30, which I rejected. I then received two further messages from the potential buyer, one disgruntled £35 offer and subsequently an angry message saying about how he simply won't be pushed higher than £40 and this is THE LAST TIME I WILL HAVE A CHANCE!

There aren't too many arseholes on eBay, but the ones there are, it's like they've been distilled. Pure essence of arsehole.

Had a guy recently who demanded a refund on some new jeans, without returning them. "YOU REATTTACHED THE LABEL THESE JEANS ARE WORN" they're fucking distressed you prick, what's more, the 'worn' bits can be clearly seen on the eight or so photos. He wanted to keep them without paying. Left me negative feedback "AVOID THIS CHEATING SELLER" but still kept sending me nasty messages wanting a refund AND to keep the jeans. When he realised his strategy wasn't going to work he requested a full refund, 'item not as described' so I get stung for postage both ways. I'm pissed off I can't leave feedback to warn off other sellers "this guy got an A+ in Dickhead Class" or similar. I considered leaving something like "Charming, Understanding, Nice Transaction" but it's not worth it, block and move on

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on March 14, 2022, 06:32:52 PMI often list things at a deliberately high price so I've control of the sales process. Never do auctions but I could see myself accepting an offer just to get the sale done with.

This is what I do. Been selling on ebay for about 10 years and the auction format is a shadow of its former self. I used to put everyone on an auction and the price would virtually always rise to something decent, but now it often doesn't attract a single bid, even at a very low price. Recently I put a pair of shoes on an auction twice for £70, no bids. Then put them on BIN for £90, expecting to get an offer for about £60 and accepting. They sold for £90 within a day.

Brian Freeze

Since getting advice in this thread about selling bulky items, me and a mate have made a couple of quid or three. Ta muchly you beauties.

I got rinsed on the postage for the spinning wheel but will take it on the chin as I ballsed up the guesstimate.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on June 08, 2022, 08:23:31 AMThis is what I do. Been selling on ebay for about 10 years and the auction format is a shadow of its former self. I used to put everyone on an auction and the price would virtually always rise to something decent, but now it often doesn't attract a single bid, even at a very low price. Recently I put a pair of shoes on an auction twice for £70, no bids. Then put them on BIN for £90, expecting to get an offer for about £60 and accepting. They sold for £90 within a day.
Probably people who want the thing now or can't be bothered going through the auction process. There used to be people who'd treat it a bit like a game: you'd bid but if you didn't get it no big deal. But if you actually need to buy something and want it soon, it makes more sense to BIN at a higher price than wait for the auction to complete and maybe not get it even then.

Pranet

Anyone as a buyer had a tracked item which says it is delivered not actually be delivered? just happened to me. The map on the Royal Mail website showing were they delivered it is correct. It would have been small enough to get through the letter box. I'm not sure what has happened. RM say to contact the seller which I've done.

Or anyone as a seller had experience of this? How much do the RM look into it?

It was not loads of money so if it has gone it has gone but it is annoying and just a bit weird.