Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:55:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Adam and Joe and World of Wonder (and Jon Ronson's For the Love of)

Started by Mobbd, December 03, 2020, 12:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

Someone in the Buckles Podcast thread linked to a lovely chat with Adam and Joe at the NME website. The chat was to promote The Adam and Joe Show being on World of Wonder's new streaming platform, wowpresentsplus.com.

Some not-particularly-interesting observations:

The streaming platform really should be called Drag Race TV since almost everything on it is either Ru Paul's Drag Race or one of a truly bewildering number of spin-offs. It's a thing to behold. I'm not knocking it. It's an interesting peek into what I assume is a thriving sub-culture. Drag would have to be pretty central to your life for you to want to subscribe to this service but, presumably, this must be the case.

The Adam and Joe Show is (no exaggeration) one of the only non-Drag Race things on it. Adam mentioned in the NME chat that Jon Ronson's Secret Rulers of the World is on it but I couldn't find it. I did find, however Jon Ronson's For the Love Of, a late-night round-table conversation show with various nutters. A CAB search shows it has been discussed here a few times before (e.g. https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=30861.30) and I can confirm that the time travel episode is a special treat: the ten-minute opening story from a woman who claims to have travelled backwards in time is extremely engaging and the argumentative shambles that the programme thereafter falls into is pretty funny. Young Jon is useless as the host, reading his intro from a sheet of paper, barely interjecting at all for the show's duration, and adopting various intellectual-looking stances with his glasses and sometimes a cigarette. He was such an amazing pseud.

Yes, people SMOKE on the show! It is madness.

At the end of For the Love Of,, Adam Buxton is credited as having done the titles. His name is second only to Jon's in the credits, which is a little unusual for the bloke who did the titles, isn't it, so I guess WoW were just looking after their own, which is rather sweet really.

Do check out For the Love Of either on WoW with the trial or just on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhgFEi9aNUb3jhvyEg4vVFMrhVKZbundo

Wet Blanket

I wondered if this meant they'd been taken of All4 (where you can watch them for free) but they're still there. I don't know if it's a business move that Adam doesn't mention this or he genuinely doesn't realise.

I watched one the other night that featured a prank I'd forgotten, where they posed as rent boys in LA. Even ignoring the very 90s un-PC-ness of the whole ploy, it seemed like a really dangerous thing to do, but I've never heard Adam mention this one on any interviews.

Does the world of wonder site have their documentary on Nelson Sullivan, the fascinating 80s hipster who obsessively filmed his every day life? They put a load of his videos on YouTube and it's like having access to a time machine.

Sin Agog

Hey, cheers for linking to For the Love Of... I scanned that Unconventional Youtube Obsessions thread in General yesterday looking for similar gems from the archive.  Only watched the first ep so far, but I love how multi-generational blokes from different classes all get rheumy-eyed and wistful over those garish smegging towers. Those were definitely far less didactic times!

Icehaven

I've just finished re-watching A&J on All4 so was googling around for some more of them I hadn't seen or heard yet and watched that NME chat. It was great, and as you say lovely to hear them together again, but I was a bit distracted by how Joe appeared to be lying down and barely moving, was he in an iron lung?

Mobbd

Quote from: Wet Blanket on December 03, 2020, 12:42:51 PM
Does the world of wonder site have their documentary on Nelson Sullivan, the fascinating 80s hipster who obsessively filmed his every day life? They put a load of his videos on YouTube and it's like having access to a time machine.

I don't think I knew about Nelson Sullivan* so this is a great recommendation, cheers Blanket.

It looks like they do indeed have the documentary. Is it called Died on the 4th of July (2017)? (I'm asking rather than assuming because that film isn't actually mentioned on Nelson's Wikipedia page or on IMDB, which is a bit strange. There's also something on WoW called Nelson Sullivan's World of Wonder (1994) but that just looks like a clip/trailer, so if that's the title you mean then they unfortunately don't have it)

*though his project rings a bell somehow, possibly through Adam Buxton's pod with Fenton Bailey - ep 72 if you fancy a listen: https://www.adam-buxton.co.uk/podcasts/55

Mobbd

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 03, 2020, 01:03:53 PM
Hey, cheers for linking to For the Love Of... I scanned that Unconventional Youtube Obsessions thread in General yesterday looking for similar gems from the archive.  Only watched the first ep so far, but I love how multi-generational blokes from different classes all get rheumy-eyed and wistful over those garish smegging towers. Those were definitely far less didactic times!

Hah! Is that the Supertease one? I will watch it next!

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Mobbd on December 03, 2020, 04:56:13 PM
I don't think I knew about Nelson Sullivan* so this is a great recommendation, cheers Blanket.

It looks like they do indeed have the documentary. Is it called Died on the 4th of July (2017)? (I'm asking rather than assuming because that film isn't actually mentioned on Nelson's Wikipedia page or on IMDB, which is a bit strange. There's also something on WoW called Nelson Sullivan's World of Wonder (1994) but that just looks like a clip/trailer, so if that's the title you mean then they unfortunately don't have it)

*though his project rings a bell somehow, possibly through Adam Buxton's pod with Fenton Bailey - ep 72 if you fancy a listen: https://www.adam-buxton.co.uk/podcasts/55

Nelson Sullivan's World of Wonder was the one I meant - I ask because I've never seen it myself, but have wanted to ever since learning about him. Presumably it's the film that launched the entire company. I didn't even know about the 2017 film but I'd be very interested to see it.

I think I remember hearing that Buckles pod a while back. Was he promoting a film about the Club Kids? That too looks worth a watch. I've convinced myself to sign up for the free trial

Mobbd

Quote from: Wet Blanket on December 03, 2020, 08:16:09 PM
Nelson Sullivan's World of Wonder was the one I meant - I ask because I've never seen it myself, but have wanted to ever since learning about him. Presumably it's the film that launched the entire company. I didn't even know about the 2017 film but I'd be very interested to see it.

I think I remember hearing that Buckles pod a while back. Was he promoting a film about the Club Kids? That too looks worth a watch. I've convinced myself to sign up for the free trial

I honestly can't remember if Fenton was plugging anything but there's an oldish film about the Club Kids called Party Monster which is really good (and IS on the WoW streaming platform, quite prominently). I remember Finton being a good and interesting listen so I think I'll go back to it.

Enzo

Quote from: icehaven on December 03, 2020, 01:25:30 PM
I was a bit distracted by how Joe appeared to be lying down and barely moving, was he in an iron lung?

I think he had done his back in and was bedridden

Icehaven

Quote from: Enzo on December 04, 2020, 02:23:17 AM
I think he had done his back in and was bedridden

Aha that makes sense. Probably better than an iron lung.

madhair60

Just gonna ask outright. Can the Adam and Joe episodes be ripped? My copies are piss poor quality and out of sync. I will pay for the service if doing so is easy.

Mobbd

Quote from: madhair60 on December 04, 2020, 03:31:34 PM
Just gonna ask outright. Can the Adam and Joe episodes be ripped? My copies are piss poor quality and out of sync. I will pay for the service if doing so is easy.

I have no idea. Just enjoy them with the trial or watch them with adverts whenever you like on C4. If you want to download them for posterity, there's places to do that, no?

madhair60

Quote from: Mobbd on December 04, 2020, 04:21:23 PM
I have no idea. Just enjoy them with the trial or watch them with adverts whenever you like on C4. If you want to download them for posterity, there's places to do that, no?

No, that's the issue. The available copies are very bad.

olliebean

Quote from: Mobbd on December 03, 2020, 12:01:10 PMDo check out For the Love Of either on WoW with the trial or just on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhgFEi9aNUb3jhvyEg4vVFMrhVKZbundo

Interestingly, there are 9 more episodes of this on YouTube than there are on WoW, even though it's the WoW YouTube channel that they're on.

Mobbd

Quote from: olliebean on December 05, 2020, 07:10:46 PM
Interestingly, there are 9 more episodes of this on YouTube than there are on WoW, even though it's the WoW YouTube channel that they're on.

Ooh. I wonder if these are in some way legally dodgy. Or problematic maybe. Spicy.

JaDanketies