Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:07:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bollywood

Started by Chedney Honks, March 20, 2021, 11:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notjosh

I watched Sholay (1975) last week. It's a Bollywood Western semi-inspired by the Magnificent Seven (though it's just two of them) but builds in a much bigger revenge storyline. It was actually the highest grossing Indian film until Hum Aapke Hain Koun came along. It also features three of the leads from Chupke Chukpe.

I really enjoyed it. At first it feels like it will be too much of a Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai retread, but as they build up the backstory there are some pretty out there moments added in - even going a bit Sam Peckinpah in places. The two leads, Amitabh Bachchan and Dharmendra work really well of each other. The villain is properly scummy, and has a Khan-esque name that sounds absolutely great when yelled by a furious hero. And there's a charming turn from Hema Malini as a love interest who never shuts up. Action sequences are pretty strong, though a bit too much close-up for my tastes. The biggest problem is that the film is juggling so many different elements that the tension from the main revenge storyline often gets completely deflated by the romantic shenanigans.

Definitely worth a watch though. Here's my favourite bit, a joyous celebration of friendship between two straight men:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T8G_d5o5Gs

(No subtitles on that link unfortunately, but the gist is that they absolutely unconditionally love each other. Just try and picture Clint Eastwood doing a scene like that!)

Small Man Big Horse

Sholay is one of about fifty Bollywood films I've currently got on my hard drive, I rarely get on with westerns but you make it sound like a really enjoyable watch so I definitely will watch it soon.

Go Goa Gone (2013) - After his girlfriend breaks up with him Luv and his two friends Hardik and Bunny head off to Goa and after going to a rave on a desert island where the Russian mafia are trying out a new drug, soon they're surrounded by zombies. It's fun enough, even if some of the jokes are somewhat dubious (and one song at the rave has the lyrics "The night's a whore. Begs for more. So do it slowly slowly" somewhat weirdly) and the pacing is a bit all over the place, but a lot of the time it's pretty good,
Spoiler alert
there's a very funny nod to Shaun Of The Dead, the guys being shit at zombie killing is a strong gag
[close]
, and though this doesn't offer up anything that new it's a fun enough ride. 6.6/10

JaDanketies

Think I'm gonna try to watch the Baahubali franchise. The sequel is the second-highest grossing Indian movie of all time, and it's an epic action movie.

Watched Dhoom 2 with the fiancee a few days ago and we've both been endlessly singing the soundtrack since.

Small Man Big Horse

Dil Se.. (1998) - I googled best Bollywood musicals and this came up in a number of lists, but bar that I went in knowing nothing about it and fuck me, it wasn't what I was expecting at all.
Spoiler alert
The first two thirds plays out as a romantic comedy with some visually stunning song and dance numbers (the one involving a big old bunch of elephants impressing me the most, but all of them are among the best I've seen) albeit one with a slight edge, as Amar works for Radio Free India and falls for Meghna, who clearly has issues and their relationship never blossoms. Yet just as Amar is set to marry another woman via an arranged marriage Meghna comes back on the scene, and the film takes a dark, often brutal turn, it totters on the edge of melodrama in a couple of places but manages to just about avoid it, and offers a nuanced take on why Meghna acts the way that she does, while the ending is one of the most unforgettable I've ever seen
[close]
, and it's a film I'm really glad I went in knowing pretty much nothing about as otherwise it's impact would have definitely been diminished. 8.0/10

Small Man Big Horse

Chhichhore (2019) - Comedy drama where after failing an exam Anirudh's son Raghav attempts suicide, and doctor's aren't optimistic about his chances at all, so Anirudh tries telling the initially comatose lad some stories of his own time at university where he was considered a loser in the hope of cheering him up and taking the pressure off the enormously stressed kid. Cue lots of fun student tales along with his old pals reuniting at the hospital in the hope that Raghav will discover the will to live again, and though it's occasionally borderline cheesy this is largely a delight, given that it's a tale mostly told in flashback about university students I had concerns it might pale in comparison to 3 Idiots (with both sharing a strong message about the importance of not placing students under too much stress) but it's resolutely it's own beast, and works as a fun sports underdog movie (
Spoiler alert
where they play all the sports!
[close]
), and this is right up there with the most enjoyable Bollywood movies I've seen so far. 8.4/10

Small Man Big Horse

Indru Netru Naalai (2015) - Tamil language time travel movie which introduces the time travel machine but then spends forty minutes setting up the storyline which could easily have been condensed in to half that time. Then it becomes quite fun as our heroes decide to use the machine to run a company that can find anything that's been lost, but they accidentally end up changing the past and a gangster who originally died survives and now threatens the lives of everyone they love. There's about an hour of a really fantastic movie here, but also an hour of a mildly intriguing one, and twenty minutes of a slightly naff film, all of which adds up to something I don't regret watching but wouldn't really recommend unless you're a huge fan of the genre. 6.7/10

Small Man Big Horse

Jagga Jasoos (2017) - With a framing device where a music teacher tells her students about the antics of boy adventurer Jagga Jasoos it starts off feeling similar to a Hardy Boys story what with the way Jagga investigates the supposed suicide of a teacher and discovers foul play was involved, and the film is supposedly based on a comic book. But it slowly becomes much more complicated as the man who adopted Jagga as a child is reported dead, and Jagga and a journalist whose life he saves team up to find out what happened. An enormously fun and inventive musical, it's visually playful for the first hour and though it finds itself a little more reality based as the story develops and the anti-arms trade theme is explored a little, every single scene is still beautifully shot and though at almost three hours it's slightly overlong it's extremely charming and this was a world I loved spending time in. 8.7/10

touchingcloth

Snowflakes for the woke. Hmph.

wasp_f15ting

Oh man there are so many Tamil films worth your watch but I can't seem to find any of the olden goldies with subtitles.
I'll keep an eye out for them.

I have been binging the films of a Director called Visu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visu)

His films are often a bit more moralistic and focus on challenges to Indian patriarchy and shift away from agrarian societal values.
Have really enjoyed watching these.

Generally the preservation of Tamil films has been shockingly bad.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on June 21, 2021, 11:11:51 AM
Oh man there are so many Tamil films worth your watch but I can't seem to find any of the olden goldies with subtitles.
I'll keep an eye out for them.

I have been binging the films of a Director called Visu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visu)

His films are often a bit more moralistic and focus on challenges to Indian patriarchy and shift away from agrarian societal values.
Have really enjoyed watching these.

Generally the preservation of Tamil films has been shockingly bad.

That's a shame to hear, I'm only just now dipping in to Tamil films but definitely plan to watch more in the future if I can find decent subtitles.

Small Man Big Horse

Mard Ko Dard Nahin Hota (2018) - Action comedy about a guy who has a condition where he can't feel any pain, the girl he likes, and the drunken karate master they both admire, whose psychotic brother makes for a great villain. It's really inventive and smart and sends up a lot of action movie tropes while still managing to create some quite brutal sequences, the soundtrack's strong, there's a nice anti-patriarchy theme, and the violence is impressively choreographed throughout, while the cast are great too, and this is an extremely enjoyable affair in general. 8.2/10

wasp_f15ting

Thaen 2021 - Source: Amazon Videos (Free for prime members) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thaen-Tharun/dp/B095JV3ZV7/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=thaen&qid=1625130835&sr=8-1
IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14095634/

This was a very pretty film set in the hillsides of India - I found it really lovely, had a feeling of Bird People of China

The film is about a community of people who live outside of civilization in the mountainous western ghats.
The story is harrowing, but illustrates some key issues and corruptions that still persist in India.

This does have English subtitles.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on July 01, 2021, 10:15:35 AM
Thaen 2021 - Source: Amazon Videos (Free for prime members) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thaen-Tharun/dp/B095JV3ZV7/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=thaen&qid=1625130835&sr=8-1
IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14095634/

This was a very pretty film set in the hillsides of India - I found it really lovely, had a feeling of Bird People of China

The film is about a community of people who live outside of civilization in the mountainous western ghats.
The story is harrowing, but illustrates some key issues and corruptions that still persist in India.

This does have English subtitles.

That sounds intriguing but I'm trying to avoid harrowing cinema right now, I do appreciate the recommendation but will probably wait for happier times before watching it.

Detective Byomkesh Bakshy (2015) - Mystery thriller set in 1943 that starts intriguingly with some slicing and dicing and blinding and a missing person's case but then slows down far too much. Bakshy is a likeable detective type and one who isn't ridiculously intelligent ala your Sherlocks and um, I don't know, Inspector Gadget maybe, and who works things out in a methodical way, but it takes an almost painful amount of time to reveal each piece of the puzzle and the denouement is bland, and one which
Spoiler alert
comes with a weirdly pantomime-esque villain
[close]
. It's handsomely filmed and initially shows potential but fails to deliver on it, the hard rock / metal soundtrack that sometimes accompanies the action doesn't suit it (even though it made for a refreshing change musically) and I felt it could have made more of it's wartime city setting, at times it doesn't seem to know if it's a pulp-y thriller or something grittier than that. 5.3/10

Small Man Big Horse

Dhamaal (2007) - Very broad comedy inspired by Rat Race and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World where four dodgy guys discover that a sod load of money has been buried in Goa and dash off to find it, all the while being chased by a police officer and one of the character's very angry father. It's daft and then some but the gag rate is high, and this is a fast paced ride which rarely lets up and is a really enjoyable romp. 8.0/10

If anyone fancies watching it, someone's kindly posted it to youtube (where it's had over 212 million views!) and the subtitles are much better than the one I downloaded elsewhere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKNHVDPKy7g

Small Man Big Horse

Fukrey (2013) - An offbeat comedy where when Choocha has a dream his best pal Hunny can interpret it in to the winning lottery numbers, though as they don't have a lot of money and the lottery is illegal in Delhi they (and two other guys they meet along the way) have to team up with kickass female gangster Bholi in order to win a sod load of money. But with all the pressure on him Choocha fails to sleep and then makes up the dream, and they inevitably fail to win and boy is Bholi unhappy about that. It's a lot more complicated than this too, and involves a drug deal gone wrong, an accountancy tutor helping them out, plus there's a rom-com element for Hunny and they find the time for a good few (great) songs as well. It starts off really well but sags after twenty minutes, it's not that it's not watchable but it's just mildly fun and little more than that, though at least around the hour point it gets good again, but because it's so uneven I can only rate it 7.4/10

Small Man Big Horse

99 Songs (2019) - Struggling musician Jai wants to marry Sophie but her businessman bastard of a father refuses to give his consent, instead challenging Jai to write one hundred songs and if he manages that then he can wed his daughter. There's some flashbacks to Jai's music hating father and flashforwards to time in a psychiatric hospital so it's clearly not going to be a simple task, and it's the latter part which sees the film become a little too absurd. The first half is a fairly sweet romcom / joys of friendship and playing music type affair but then
Spoiler alert
after Jai unwittingly drinks some coffee with crystal meth in it and takes a jazz singer out for a drive he crashes the car and it all becomes rather ridiculous, while the ending is also quite bizarre with a song he wrote supposedly being so amazing that it changes the world.
[close]
It's frustrating that it's all over the place as visually it's often stunning, while the music is very strong too, but in trying to mix together a celebration of music while containing a heavy handed warning against addiction it stumbles in to melodramatic territory all too often. 6.8/10

Herbert Ashe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 06, 2021, 06:24:28 PMDil Se.. (1998) - I googled best Bollywood musicals and this came up in a number of lists, but bar that I went in knowing nothing about it and fuck me, it wasn't what I was expecting at all.
Spoiler alert
The first two thirds plays out as a romantic comedy with some visually stunning song and dance numbers (the one involving a big old bunch of elephants impressing me the most, but all of them are among the best I've seen) albeit one with a slight edge, as Amar works for Radio Free India and falls for Meghna, who clearly has issues and their relationship never blossoms. Yet just as Amar is set to marry another woman via an arranged marriage Meghna comes back on the scene, and the film takes a dark, often brutal turn, it totters on the edge of melodrama in a couple of places but manages to just about avoid it, and offers a nuanced take on why Meghna acts the way that she does, while the ending is one of the most unforgettable I've ever seen
[close]
, and it's a film I'm really glad I went in knowing pretty much nothing about as otherwise it's impact would have definitely been diminished. 8.0/10

Half a year late, but thanks for this h/t, I downloaded it but by the time I watched it I forgot where I'd read about it.

I think it was the second (?) song that made me realise that this was something special - IIRC it's just a pas de deux with the two leads, on some Himalayan-type plateau - for how it seemed to be working in these notions of other-isation and exoticisation in a quite critical way. I wish I was more literate in Bollywood, just to see what else some of these musical numbers might be doing. Likewise I read the odd comment that made me wonder what I might be missing out on in terms of how the film plays off Shah Rukh Khan's celebrity persona.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Herbert Ashe on January 30, 2022, 02:54:36 PMHalf a year late, but thanks for this h/t, I downloaded it but by the time I watched it I forgot where I'd read about it.

I think it was the second (?) song that made me realise that this was something special - IIRC it's just a pas de deux with the two leads, on some Himalayan-type plateau - for how it seemed to be working in these notions of other-isation and exoticisation in a quite critical way. I wish I was more literate in Bollywood, just to see what else some of these musical numbers might be doing. Likewise I read the odd comment that made me wonder what I might be missing out on in terms of how the film plays off Shah Rukh Khan's celebrity persona.

I know what you mean about being literate in Bollywood, I'm sure there are certain aspects I miss out on (or only discover when reading reviews after the film), I have bought a well regarded guide to Indian cinema and really must read it soon.

Badhaai Ho (2018) - Comedy drama where much to the horror of Nakul (Ayushmann Khurrana) his mother falls pregnant, and given that she's in her late fifties it wasn't something anyone was exactly expecting. Nakul's not the only one to be a twat over it,
Spoiler alert
but by the end of the film they've of course learned the error of their ways, that or have been given a good talking too by a kick-ass grandmother
[close]
. And sure, it's not exactly unpredictable stuff, but it hits the emotional beats so well, has a lot of very funny scenes, is beautifully shot, and is an all round big old ball of loveliness. 8.1/10

notjosh

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 06, 2021, 06:24:28 PMDil Se.. (1998)

This is directed by Mani Ratnam, my wife's favourite director and very well regarded in India. He mostly works in Tamil cinema and often collaborates with A.R. Rahman. I've seen a few of his films and can recommend Kannathil Muthamittal. There's one scene early on that I found particularly fascinating. It's the first night of an arranged marriage, with (essentially) two complete strangers going to bed for the first time. I found it really interesting seeing this dynamic play out in a very casual and naturalistic way, as it's not a situation for which I have any reference point.

Also might be worth watching Nayakan, his take on The Godfather, which starts really well though gets more generic as it goes on.

His film Roja was also an enormous hit - my (Indian) wife tells me that in her halls of residence at University, there was not a single night that it wasn't playing in someone's dorm. I didn't hate it, but I can't say it struck a chord with me. I think there's a really strong patriotic element to it which I just don't get. It does have this beautiful song in it though:

(Chinna Chinna Aasai is 'tiny tiny dreams')

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: notjosh on January 31, 2022, 09:07:15 AMThis is directed by Mani Ratnam, my wife's favourite director and very well regarded in India. He mostly works in Tamil cinema and often collaborates with A.R. Rahman. I've seen a few of his films and can recommend Kannathil Muthamittal. There's one scene early on that I found particularly fascinating. It's the first night of an arranged marriage, with (essentially) two complete strangers going to bed for the first time. I found it really interesting seeing this dynamic play out in a very casual and naturalistic way, as it's not a situation for which I have any reference point.

Also might be worth watching Nayakan, his take on The Godfather, which starts really well though gets more generic as it goes on.

His film Roja was also an enormous hit - my (Indian) wife tells me that in her halls of residence at University, there was not a single night that it wasn't playing in someone's dorm. I didn't hate it, but I can't say it struck a chord with me. I think there's a really strong patriotic element to it which I just don't get. It does have this beautiful song in it though:

(Chinna Chinna Aasai is 'tiny tiny dreams')

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely give them a shot at some point, though my watch list is already pretty huge. On that front...

Quote from: notjosh on April 17, 2021, 07:11:21 PMLagaan (2001) is quite an accessible one too. Set during the British Raj, it's an underdog film about a small village that takes on the British at cricket to avoid having to pay their oppressive taxes. Feels like their version of something like The Great Escape and it's fun to see the English as the villains.

Thanks to the Chinese New Year I had the day off work today, so decided to give it a go even though I normally hate cricket.

Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India (2001) - Sports underdog movie starring Aamir Khan that's set in the Victorian age where moustache twirling English villain Captain Russell (Paul Blackthorne) is set to double the tax the villagers pay, but then decides that if they can beat his team at cricket, a game they've never played before, they won't have to pay for three years. At three hours and forty three minutes it's ludicrously long, the game of cricket itself doesn't kick off until the 2 hour 21 minute mark but then lasts for over an hour (
Spoiler alert
albeit with a break for a song and the revelation that one of the team is working for those pesky British shits
[close]
), and it contains pretty much every sports movie cliché in the book, yet despite this I enjoyed it enormously as it's so well made and the Indian cast are so lovable. 8.3/10

Small Man Big Horse

Mimi (2021) - Creepy American couple John and Summer are looking for a surrogate to have their child, eventually discovering dancer Mimi who needs the money so that she can move to Mumbai and try to break in to Bollywood. Fifty five minutes in
Spoiler alert
and there's a dramatic turn when the doctor reveals that she thinks the child has down syndrome, and John and Summer turn out to be fucking monsters as the latter repeatedly sobs that they can't bring up a disabled child and flee the country, though not before saying Mimi should have an abortion even though she's clearly about eight months pregnant.
[close]
At one point I thought it might be horribly misguided but thankfully it manages to deal with a number of issues with surprising thoughtfulness and though it's occasionally slightly melodramatic, and
Spoiler alert
they fucked the ending by partially redeeming Summer and John
[close]
, there's a lot to like about the movie, the stunning imagery, appealing soundtrack and the main sweet natured sentiment especially. 7.7/10

Small Man Big Horse

A Wednesday (2008) - A man demands that four terrorists are released or he'll set off five bombs that he's placed around the city, and panic ensues. This is a bit of an odd one, it's melodramatic in places and appears to be a 24 clone in some ways (with the lead beating the fuck out of one criminal before he's even asked him anything), and its morality is dubious elsewhere too, but it's also quite an angry film and though I don't agree with its main message I can't say I don't slightly admire the film's boldness. 6.4/10

Sebastian Cobb

Film club selected Om Shanti Om so watched that at the weekend, enjoyed the story and spectacle but was a bit long for what I'm used to although I understand probably not by Bollywood standards. Was good though.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 08, 2022, 08:09:05 PMFilm club selected Om Shanti Om so watched that at the weekend, enjoyed the story and spectacle but was a bit long for what I'm used to although I understand probably not by Bollywood standards. Was good though.

I know what you mean about the over long nature of some Bollywood films though I've got used to it now, to the point where it felt a bit wrong that "A Wednesday" was only 103 minutes, even if I'm glad in this particular case that it wasn't any longer.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: notjosh on May 31, 2021, 09:48:08 AMI watched Sholay (1975) last week. It's a Bollywood Western semi-inspired by the Magnificent Seven (though it's just two of them) but builds in a much bigger revenge storyline. It was actually the highest grossing Indian film until Hum Aapke Hain Koun came along. It also features three of the leads from Chupke Chukpe.

I really enjoyed it. At first it feels like it will be too much of a Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai retread, but as they build up the backstory there are some pretty out there moments added in - even going a bit Sam Peckinpah in places. The two leads, Amitabh Bachchan and Dharmendra work really well of each other. The villain is properly scummy, and has a Khan-esque name that sounds absolutely great when yelled by a furious hero. And there's a charming turn from Hema Malini as a love interest who never shuts up. Action sequences are pretty strong, though a bit too much close-up for my tastes. The biggest problem is that the film is juggling so many different elements that the tension from the main revenge storyline often gets completely deflated by the romantic shenanigans.

Definitely worth a watch though. Here's my favourite bit, a joyous celebration of friendship between two straight men:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T8G_d5o5Gs

(No subtitles on that link unfortunately, but the gist is that they absolutely unconditionally love each other. Just try and picture Clint Eastwood doing a scene like that!)

I watched this today and pretty much agree with everything you say there, and though like you say the romance subplot slows it down a little too much
Spoiler alert
(at least when it came to poor old Jai and Radha just before the final fight),
[close]
I still enjoyed it a huge amount, and posted this short review elsewhere:

Sholay (1975) - Jai and Veeru are two dodgy thieves who are recruited by a former police officer to help him catch local bastard Gabbar Singh as he keeps going around murdering folks. It's a fairly simple tale of revenge with a rom-com element, but it's enormously charming with some very memorable sequences, perhaps the pacing is a little uneven but the characters are so well written and performed that it's a delight to spend time with them, and I was especially fond of the kick ass love interest Basanti
Spoiler alert
and the scene where she dances to keep Veeru alive is a particularly fantastic one
[close]
. 8.4/10

Herbert Ashe

Ah, love Sholay!

Speaking of which: anyone seen Seeta and Geeta (1972)? Same director (Ramesh Sippy), also stars Hema Malini as twin sisters, separated at birth, who naturally then go on to lead Very Different Lives. Absolute masala perfection, had so much fun watching this. Sort of film that'd be great to see in a packed cinema with everyone very much on-board for it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Herbert Ashe on February 11, 2022, 12:13:43 PMAh, love Sholay!

Speaking of which: anyone seen Seeta and Geeta (1972)? Same director (Ramesh Sippy), also stars Hema Malini as twin sisters, separated at birth, who naturally then go on to lead Very Different Lives. Absolute masala perfection, had so much fun watching this. Sort of film that'd be great to see in a packed cinema with everyone very much on-board for it.

I hadn't heard of it but it sounds interesting so I've obtained it now, and will watch it at some point soon.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mobius on April 19, 2021, 01:45:03 AMI've only seen one. This one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swades

It was really good though, lots of dancing and colours and all that.I was absolutely wankered when I watched it and it was about 15 years ago but I'm sure it was good.

Finally got around to this tonight and really enjoyed it:

Swades (2004) - At first I wasn't quite sure where this was going as lonely NASA project manager Mohan decides to head back to India to find the woman who helped raise him, it was amiable material but with a three hour fifteen minute run time I thought it might be a bit of a slog. The opposite applies though, twenty minutes could have been cut from the first hour but otherwise it was a film I found fascinating, a powerful drama which examines a lot of subjects that haven't been brought up in many of the other Bollywood films I've seen, including the caste system, poverty and the need to challenge outmoded ways of thought, plus they find the time for a sweet natured romcom element and some great songs too. 8.3/10

Though the guy who plays John in the NASA scenes was fucking shocking, I'm surprised they couldn't find a better actor than that!

Small Man Big Horse

Mother India (1957) - Melodrama that I have to confess to being quite disappointed by given it's highly praised status, there's some light hearted moments and bits of romance but the majority of it is a misery fest which includes
Spoiler alert
floods, famine, child death, a man losing both his arms in an accident, while a part involving a money lender charging extortionate rates of interest is painfully repetitious
[close]
. All of which apparently reflects India's history and elements of Hindu mythology, but despite this I can't say that I really enjoyed the majority of it, it's not a bad film, and there are a couple of impressive song and dance sequences and occasionally inspired visuals, but it's one which could easily have been an hour shorter. 5.4/10

Small Man Big Horse

Jab We Met (2007) - Rom-com where suicidal businessman Aditya (Shahid Kapoor) meets the questionably bi-polar Geet (Kareena Kapoor) on a train and
Spoiler alert
due to the kind of contrivances you get in these kind of films it takes them two and a half hours to fuck. The final twist isn't needed and it takes a little too long for them to get together,
[close]
while there's no songs until about 50 minutes in, but despite these complaints it's a film full of charm, the leads have fantastic chemistry (perhaps unsurprisingly as they were a couple in real life, though apparently they split up during filming) and it's beautifully shot. 8.1/10