Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,959,433
  • Total Topics: 94,110
  • Online Today: 584
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 04, 2022, 06:21:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Girls5Eva - Tina Fey Produced Peacock Comedy

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 05, 2021, 07:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

This debuted two months ago on SeeSo2 Peacock but I'm slightly late to the party as I've only recently gotten in to it, I think it's a lot of fun though and has a similar energy to 30 Rock / Kimmy Schmidt even though Tina Fey only produced it and it's created by Meredith Scardino (um, Kimmy Schmidt, but also At Home With Amy Sedaris). It's a very daft affair where a girl group regroups (even though one of their members is dead) for a second shot at fame, and as well as lampooning the current state of the entertainment industry it has a good few flashbacks to their time in the sun twenty odd years ago. It's got a great cast including Busy Phillips, Paula Pell, Renée Elise Goldsberry and Sara Bareilles, some extremely strong song parodies, and is something I'm very fond of four episodes in, so it pleases a lot that it will be coming back for a second season.

phantom_power

Really enjoying this. The characters are fun and it has that 20 Rock/ Kimmy Schmidt humour that mixes off-beat and emotional so well. Great gag about the word "hunty" that clever slipped through the censors in the last episode I watched as well

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: phantom_power on July 19, 2021, 11:23:30 AM
Really enjoying this. The characters are fun and it has that 20 Rock/ Kimmy Schmidt humour that mixes off-beat and emotional so well. Great gag about the word "hunty" that clever slipped through the censors in the last episode I watched as well

Glad I'm not the only one enjoying it, one day we'll convert everyone else hopefully.

I've finished it now and thought it ended strongly,
Spoiler alert
"American Warrior Singer" was a great concept, the "Friends Cast Is Paedophiles" joke came out of nowhere but made me laugh hard, they got a lot of mileage from the Ashley hologram, Lego Man was a fun song and the ending was pretty perfect,
[close]
and this might just be my favourite new show of the year.

Custard

Mobius

Watched the first 2 episodes of this last night and really enjoyed it. Lots of funny bits and likeable characters. Having recently watched and loved 30 Rock, definitely feeling the Tina Fey style with this.

steveh

Thought this was much funnier and tighter than the other recent Fey / Carlock project Mr Mayor. I did feel though that the characters didn't especially grow on me over the series, but I'm possibly not the prime target audience...

Counted 18 people with some variant of a producer credit, which for a half hour comedy has to be a record surely.

steveh

Back for season 2, which so far I think has been better than season 1 and adds a bit more depth to the characters. Episode 4 I thought was up there with the best of Kimmy Schmidt.

Has every Fey-produced show had an American actor doing a terrible British accent?

jofo

loved it, looking forward to a third series.