Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:31:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pig (2021, Nicolas Cage's latest)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2021, 10:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Nicolas Cage lives a solitary existence in the countryside with only his truffle hunting pig for company, but everything changes when said pig is kidnapped. I think I'm in love with this movie and I'm not sure why, or to be more precise I'm not quite sure I can put in to words just why it's so unique, bar that it's a deeply unusual, very affecting mood piece with a career best from Nicolas Cage, and as a huge fan of the man I don't say that lightly. In some ways it reminded me of The Straight Story, though they're very, very different movies, but as with that film the images presented here are of the variety which will stay with me for a long time I'm sure. 8.5/10

Magnum Valentino

Pig OK?

Not watching otherwise sorry.

BlodwynPig

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 17, 2021, 10:37:06 PM
Pig OK?

Not watching otherwise sorry.

Spoiler alert
Pig not OK, but you don't see that part of the story.
[close]

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: bgmnts on July 17, 2021, 11:03:13 PM
Sort of like John Wick?

The comparison's been suggested by some reviews, but it's really very, very different.

13 schoolyards

I really enjoyed this a lot and think it's a great film (with Cage doing excellent work in a very subdued yet moving way), but one aspect that amused me (and possibly nobody else) is that despite the very different tone and mood it has the exact same structure as a John Wick / Taken movie, only Cage's unique set of skills isn't murder but
Spoiler alert
being able to break other people down emotionally using the power of food - it's even the same "work your way through the bad guys" plot, with each one he takes down leading him to the next one to be defeated (which to be fair is most hard-boiled detective / mystery plots)
[close]

Head Gardener

my teen gave up after 15 mins, I bravely carried on until the end credits much to his mockery and was just
Spoiler alert
disappointed it didn't end in a revenge bloodbath
[close]
I get the John Wick comparisons but JW having a pet for a bit and then trying to get over not having a pet for the rest of the film without bone crunching violence made this hard work for Saturday night fun viewing, maybe if it was a rainy Tuesday I'd have enjoyed it more...

Greg Torso

I watched this last night and thought it was just OK. As has been pointed out, there are superficial similarities with John Wick and Mandy, but not really beyond the first 15 minutes or so, and I was actually very glad it
Spoiler alert
wasn't another ultra-violent mad Nick Cage vengeance rampage. I think the scene of him getting smacked down was a bit of a red herring in that aspect. I didn't really understand what that was actually, some kind of hobo fight club?
[close]

The
Spoiler alert
scene in the restaurant with the head chef
[close]
was amazing, but apart from that, just felt a bit too cliched regarding plot - a
Spoiler alert
once legendary man felled by grief, retreats from society, comes back to face his demons head on!
[close]
I do like it when Cage reigns himself in though, he's a genuinely great actor and the pig was cute as hell (although apparently a bit of a bastard on set, according to imdb).

I like 13 schoolyards' J Wick/Taken comparisons above.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Would rather watch 90 minutes of a Pig being a bastard on a film set.

Butchers Blind

Replies From View

no point having more pig films if you're not going to do something radically different to Babe

Greg Torso

Quote from: Replies From View on August 03, 2021, 11:44:15 AM
no point having more pig films if you're not going to do something radically different to Babe

honestly mate it doesn't even talk.

ElTwopo

Is the pig gallant? Not gonna watch if it ain't gallant.

Sebastian Cobb

I watched this and it was good fun (although I  agree with HG that maybe it should've kicked off) and well done, but I couldn't help feeling it was 'Adam the reclusive chef from Northern Exposure: The Movie'.

Old Nehamkin

GoblinAhFuckScary

just saw this

great!! thought of it as rather an antidote to mandy which followed a similar structure. good to see a bit of restraint from cage

beanheadmcginty

Watched a double bill of this and The Green Knight on Saturday. Loved both but didn't expect how seasonally appropriate they both turned out to be. I am now fully prepared for everything that autumn and winter can throw at me.

GoblinAhFuckScary

want some lovely fucking mushrooms now

Mister Six

God, I loved this film. As noted above, it follows the usual structure of the gritty revenge thriller, with the protagonist working his way up the - pun intended - food chain, but subverts it by making the protagonist's superpower the ability to absorb pain and open people up emotionally, rather than dish it out and leave them beaten and broken.

Although
Spoiler alert
the bit where he made the meal for King Truffle was basically just the climax of Ratatouille, wasn't it?
[close]

Anyway, a really beautifully made, emotionally charged film, despite its ostensibly silly premise. Great stuff.