Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:42:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster Series 13

Started by MigraineBoy, August 25, 2021, 10:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MigraineBoy

The TV Times description of ep3 reads: This time in an unexpected interpretation of a task, Bridget shoves a cuddly toy inside a traffic cone, to create a scene that almost reduces Alex Horne to tears as he monitors proceedings.
Really enjoy the Tasks that have Alex breaking.

Utter Shit

There was a moment in the most recent episode where I swear you could actually see the man Ardal O'Hanlon briefly turn into the character Dougal McGuire.

Around 6m00 in this video, you see him justifying showing the alien a mirror. Right at the end of his spiel he looks away, after the word 'retreat'... it's just a split second, but it's like he actually physically morphs into Dougal momentarily. So funny.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8a87gw

greencalx

I remember thinking that too. I also enjoyed the fun he had with the Irish pronunciation of "mirror".

beanheadmcginty

I think Bridget Christie looks quite a lot like Joan Collins when she was young.

amateur

They're very likeable, this bunch. It goes a long way.

Even Bridget instantly finding Alex unbelievably tiresome is part of that.

MigraineBoy

Listening to Alex on the Adam Buxton podcast and it was suggested Taskmaster keeping a 'cast' for a comedy panel show was a game changer & while Alex doesn't quite want to take credit he says it allows for breathing room and how one of the upcoming prize tasks is overall very tender and moving and didn't elicit laughs and he hopes it's edited to reflect that.

holyzombiejesus

Did Adam mention if he's been invited to appear on Taskmaster? Seems like such an obvious choice.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 27, 2022, 11:04:08 AMDid Adam mention if he's been invited to appear on Taskmaster? Seems like such an obvious choice.
Alex does say "There are plenty of people I'd still like to do it - I'm looking at you at the moment Adam" and then continues about how when they approach people now he hopes that people understand the factors when casting the show means they haven't only been asked because they've run out of contestants to ask.

greencalx

Certainly in S1 I had a vibe that the cast was slowly learning about the weird world that Alex and co had created, to the point that it almost felt like they were living Big Brother style in the TM house. Although it's also possible that this vibe was actually coming from the second lockdown, which was when we got into this show. Obviously later contestants have the benefit of having seen the earlier series (assuming they bother to acquaint themselves with the format), which takes some of this away.

Ron Superior

Quote from: Vroomo on April 27, 2022, 10:52:52 AMListening to Alex on the Adam Buxton podcast and it was suggested Taskmaster keeping a 'cast' for a comedy panel show was a game changer & while Alex doesn't quite want to take credit he says it allows for breathing room and how one of the upcoming prize tasks is overall very tender and moving and didn't elicit laughs and he hopes it's edited to reflect that.

Worth bearing in mind that this chat was recorded last September so I'm guessing this was referring to the last series when they all got nice gifts for each other.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Ron Superior on April 27, 2022, 11:54:16 AMWorth bearing in mind that this chat was recorded last September so I'm guessing this was referring to the last series when they all got nice gifts for each other.
Season 13 taped their studio bits in September and when talking to Adam he started: "I was in the studio last night and the whole prize section at the beginning was quite tender and wasn't gags at all."

JamesTC

Adam Buxton would be great on it. The endless debates we'd have on when he is playing up outrage versus when he is genuinely fuming.

amateur

I'd love a bit of Buckles but he's got a bit of a competitive streak. Long as he can channel it in a non-Herring and funny way he'd smash it.

MigraineBoy

On the new Threedom, Paul F Tompkins was telling his co-hosts how he'd like to be asked to be on Taskmaster:
https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/threedom/id1437002676?i=1000558934188 (about 28mins)

JamesTC

Quote from: Vroomo on April 25, 2022, 10:12:34 AMThe TV Times description of ep3 reads: This time in an unexpected interpretation of a task, Bridget shoves a cuddly toy inside a traffic cone, to create a scene that almost reduces Alex Horne to tears as he monitors proceedings.
Really enjoy the Tasks that have Alex breaking.

For some reason I initially thought I had clicked on the Inside No 9 thread. Thought it sounded like an interesting episode.

Ron Superior

Quote from: Vroomo on April 28, 2022, 10:00:44 AMOn the new Threedom, Paul F Tompkins was telling his co-hosts how he'd like to be asked to be on Taskmaster:
https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/threedom/id1437002676?i=1000558934188 (about 28mins)

I always thought PFT should have been the host of the US version of Taskmaster. He would have bought a much better energy than Reggie, and would have really been great doing the Greg style summaries of the tasks.

selectivememory

Hmm. I'm finding the tasks to be ok, but not particularly great. The cast is really strong though, which is compensating for a lot.

I love Ardal constantly trying to belittle the efforts of the others. He's a delightful contestant, really pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying him (I thought he'd be good, but I guess I didn't really know his personality that well). Bridget is especially good too, but I like them all.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: selectivememory on April 28, 2022, 10:35:14 PMI love Ardal constantly trying to belittle the efforts of the others. He's a delightful contestant, really pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying him
It plays really well because he's mischievous it's & coming from someone who couldn't give a toss how he's scored because ultimately it's all nonsense.  Some of the previous contestants who've tried similar came across as vindictive or petty because they did care about the scoring.

Quote from: selectivememory on April 28, 2022, 10:35:14 PMHmm. I'm finding the tasks to be ok, but not particularly great. The cast is really strong though, which is compensating for a lot.

I think some of the tasks have been great (I like any task that just lets funny people be funny, like the historical one) and some have been ok. But there haven't been any bad ones. And, as you say, this lot are so much fun that the ok ones end up being great anyway. I imagine the one with all the toys would've been pretty miserable in the hands of Alan Davies, Desiree Burch or Victoria Coren-Mitchell.

I really thought it was end days for Taskmaster after that pretty dismal last series, but this has been a major improvement. So good.

Virgo76

They've done very well. Well over 650 different tasks devised so far. Amazing really.
I would not be surprised at all if Adam Buxton was revealed as one of the line-up for Series 14 when this series ends.
Other likely future contenders: Maise Adam, Catherine Bohsrt, Kemah Bob, Ria La, Richard Ayoade (seems odd he's not already been on it?), Natasia Demetriou.
Anyone who's been on Mock The Week or House of Games.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Virgo76 on April 29, 2022, 08:08:21 AMI would not be surprised at all if Adam Buxton was revealed as one of the line-up for Series 14 when this series ends.

S14 started its studio records yesterday @ Pinewood, the evening record is 6pm & Adam Buxton has 8.45pm BUG shows @ the BFI ... so it's very unlikely he'll be in 14.

Someone at the taping yesterday said it had some "very big names".

Twilkes

Kemah Bob is an acquired taste, partly because she sounds like a Fraggle (see also Kristen Schaal), but her Off Menu episode was crazy, she'd be great on Taskmaster.

I don't quite get the hate for the recent series, they had to cope with distancing and too many convoluted tasks, but I'd happily sit down to watch any episode of 10-12. Maybe not any episode of 10...

RFT

Quote from: Vroomo on April 29, 2022, 08:29:06 AMS14 started its studio records yesterday @ Pinewood, the evening record is 6pm & Adam Buxton has 8.45pm BUG shows @ the BFI ... so it's very unlikely he'll be in 14.

I'm at an S14 taping next week, really looking forward to it.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Virgo76 on April 29, 2022, 08:08:21 AMThey've done very well. Well over 650 different tasks devised so far. Amazing really.
I would not be surprised at all if Adam Buxton was revealed as one of the line-up for Series 14 when this series ends.
Other likely future contenders: Maise Adam, Catherine Bohsrt, Kemah Bob, Ria La, Richard Ayoade (seems odd he's not already been on it?), Natasia Demetriou.
Quote from: Vroomo on April 29, 2022, 08:29:06 AMS14 started its studio records yesterday @ Pinewood, the evening record is 6pm & Adam Buxton has 8.45pm BUG shows @ the BFI ... so it's very unlikely he'll be in 14.

2 big names, three I've never heard of (I didn't go but Mrs Monster did).

To anyone that did go to the recording.....
Spoiler alert
Bangle Holder
[close]

MigraineBoy

Quote from: KennyMonster on April 29, 2022, 09:26:22 AM2 big names, three I've never heard of (I didn't go but Mrs Monster did).
Ah, c'mon - give us a clue.  They sit in alphabetical order so what seats do your 2 big names take up?

KennyMonster

Quote from: Vroomo on April 29, 2022, 10:00:50 AMAh, c'mon - give us a clue.  They sit in alphabetical order so what seats do your 2 big names take up?

There's a lot of signs and pleading etc asking not to reveal them so I won't, sorry.

Norton Canes

Good but stop cock antics way overcooked. Ardal's immediate pan fling the best bit.

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 29, 2022, 12:20:58 PMGood but stop cock antics way overcooked.

I found that quite awkward, Ardal was right with 'bubbles' rescuing things.

Virgo76

Ah. Fair enough then.
Big names eh?
Well, Natasia Demetriou is literally a big name (definitely a long one). But probably too busy acting.
Big names. Lesley Joseph? Gary Wilmot? We can but dream...

Steven88

Jesus I hope t
Quote from: Virgo76 on April 29, 2022, 08:08:21 AMThey've done very well. Well over 650 different tasks devised so far. Amazing really.
I really hope they don't get Kemah Bob, that voice, Jesus. Reminds me of the aliens on Toy Story.