Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:52:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Far Cry 6

Started by Ferris, October 09, 2021, 01:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Everyone's favourite daft shooter is back and (probably) sillier than ever!

...I didn't know this is already out and it feels like quite an underwhelming release based on the amount of buzz I've seen for it (i.e. none).

I am openly a fan of FC4 and FC5 (set in faux-Nepal and quasi-Montana respectively) and will probably get this eventually but not for 50 quid or whatever they want for it as I'm assuming it is literally the same game in new environs as the last few were. It's got matey out of Breaking Bad in it and is set in faux-Cuba so that's a nice place to set a video game innit Andy.

Anyone played it? Should I expedite getting this or what?

bgmnts

Well to be fair the real price of the game is presumably about 100 quid, 50 quid is the price with half the content gutted out to be resold.

But yeah not worth that considering you've played the exact same game four or five times previous. You're basically paying for some skins and voice acting. I think the reviews have been mediocre.

Ferris

Yeah I agree with all that. 8/10 on IGN so it must be pretty bad.

Neomod

Far Cry 4 was the last I bothered with and the only one I've finished is 2. Not eager to jump back into another.

Ferris

This is exactly the kind of "thinks it's AAA but probably isn't" game that will be on PlayStation plus in a few months so I won't bother until they're dishing it out for free or heavily discounted.

The Crumb

Reviews make it look like everything they've added this time - health bars to enemies, grindy loot mechanics, zany weapons and gear, are things that would make the game worse for me.

Playing a bit of 5 lately, it was obvious how aged the engine is when it comes to combat. Hopefully 7 will be a proper reboot.

GoblinAhFuckScary

feel like an old lady now having last played far cry 2

bgmnts

The best Far Cry is still Instincts Predator.

Ferris

There's an "ultimate edition" on the PlayStation store for $160 (+tax) lol. That's about 110 quid.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 10, 2021, 02:15:48 PM
There's an "ultimate edition" on the PlayStation store for $160 (+tax) lol. That's about 110 quid.

this is why i don't play videogames anymore

Timothy

Quote from: bgmnts on October 09, 2021, 02:10:19 PM
Well to be fair the real price of the game is presumably about 100 quid, 50 quid is the price with half the content gutted out to be resold.

You get the full game / story when you buy the base game. Everything in the Ultimate Edition are just extra missions etc.

I've been playing it for a few hours (could get it for 40 euros, so bought it) and am enjoying it. It's just a dumb AAA blockbuster game. Giancarlo Esposito is great in this.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 10, 2021, 02:15:48 PM

Here's me remembering when I saw the ultimate edition of that year's CoD broke £100 on steam, and that was a few years ago.

bgmnts

Quote from: Timothy on October 10, 2021, 02:43:43 PM
You get the full game / story when you buy the base game. Everything in the Ultimate Edition are just extra missions etc.

I've been playing it for a few hours (could get it for 40 euros, so bought it) and am enjoying it. It's just a dumb AAA blockbuster game. Giancarlo Esposito is great in this.

If that makes you feel better about things, fair enough I suppose.

Timothy

I'm just saying that it's not true that that you only get half the content when you only buy the base game.

When you buy the base game you get the full story.
When you buy the ultimate edition you get three DLC episodes in which you can play villains from previous games, a Far Cry Blood Dragon remake and some costumes.

I absolutely dislike DLC and Ultimate Editions and whatever as well, but when it comes to Far Cry 6 you get the complete experience / story if you only buy the base game.
Nothing ''essential'' is locked behind DLC.

BeardFaceMan

I think the point is that there used to be a time when all that extra content was included in the base game, now its taken out and held back as DLC.

Timothy

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 10, 2021, 03:40:40 PM
I think the point is that there used to be a time when all that extra content was included in the base game, now its taken out and held back as DLC.

I don't think the extra content would have been made if there wasn't any DLC to sell. Back then they probably would have just made the base game and left it at that.

I was just trying to say that you don't miss out on anything if you don't buy FC's DLC (which is different when it comes to a few other Ubisoft games where they put huge story missions behind that Ultimate paywall).

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Timothy on October 10, 2021, 03:42:00 PM
I don't think the extra content would have been made if there wasn't any DLC to sell. Back then they probably would have just made the base game and left it at that.

I was just trying to say that you don't miss out on anything if you don't buy FC's DLC (which is different when it comes to a few other Ubisoft games where they put huge story missions behind that Ultimate paywall).

Secret Levels That Would Be DLC These Days

There are lots and lots of examples of cool bonus stuff in games that would be DLC if they were released now. I'm surprised this still needs arguing about.

Timothy

I wasn't trying to argue. Like I said, when it comes to most games and their DLC I completely agree with what you, bgmnts and Beardfaceman are saying.

But when it comes to this game (and I might be completely wrong about this) I don't think Ubisoft would have been bothered to create an expansion where you can play the previous villains if they couldn't ask more money for it and doubt that, even back then, this would ever have been part of the base Ubisoft game.

QuoteVaas Montenegro. Pagan Min. Joseph Seed. These three villains built a reign of terror across Far Cry 3, Far Cry 4, and Far Cry 5, but in the Far Cry 6 Season Pass, you'll be the one taking the reins. In each of the three DLC Episodes included in the Season Pass, you'll play as one of these major antagonists as you delve inside their minds to uncover their backstories, encounter familiar faces, and find out what it's like to become the villain.

By the way, for people still in doubt about buying the game: Suddenly, a few hours in, the game has become a mess. All cutscenes are stuttering, audio is all over the place.  Seems to be an issue for both PS5 and Xbox players. As of now I wouldn't recommend to buy the game.

Ferris

Counterpoint - I don't care about an antagonist from 2012 so won't pay extra to "discover his backstory". If they included it in the base game... maybe I'd play it? Though probably not.

The game being a bit of a technical mess paradoxically means I'm more likely to play it because they'll have to knock the price down and it takes a giant leap towards being a free game on PlayStation Now.

Timothy

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 11, 2021, 04:15:49 PM
Counterpoint - I don't care about an antagonist from 2012 so won't pay extra to "discover his backstory". If they included it in the base game... maybe I'd play it? Though probably not.

Same here. Sounds mildly interesting but no way I'm paying extra for it.

I think next month around Black Friday the game will probably be around 25 or 30 pounds or such. 2022 on Playstation Now wouldn't surprise me either.

Zetetic

That they don't make these things more moddable so that someone could make a worthwhile game or two out of all this artwork and groundwork is more and more painful.

The Crumb

Quote from: Zetetic on October 11, 2021, 04:37:40 PM
That they don't make these things more moddable so that someone could make a worthwhile game or two out of all this artwork and groundwork is more and more painful.

At least the map editor gave us Goldeneye inside Far Cry 5.

Lemming

Big fan of Far Cry generally but this one's really dull so far, the attempts at humour are awful as usual but they're absolutely incessant here, and this time around the story is so boring and doesn't give you an adequate excuse to go on your inevitable violent rampage in the way that previous games did. In fact they explicitly tell you that half the soldiers are just people who need to feed their families, seconds before asking you to machete them through the skulls regardless.

Everyone's annoying as fuck. "YOU ARE A GUEREEEEEELLA, DANI." Leave me alone!

Not played far into it but it looks like story missions are all but gone now. No more semi-scripted fun like the sinking ship level in Far Cry 3 or the mountainside prison escape in Far Cry 4. Just walking around getting phone calls telling you to go to X location and shoot everyone.

Ferris

Losing the online mapmaker from 5 seems like a massive step backwards to me. It extended the life of the game by dozens of hours so surely that meant more they made money off skins and silly gold rifles or whatever, and people made some really cool and interesting stuff with it.

wooders1978

Quote from: Lemming on October 11, 2021, 04:55:03 PM
Big fan of Far Cry generally but this one's really dull so far, the attempts at humour are awful as usual but they're absolutely incessant here, and this time around the story is so boring and doesn't give you an adequate excuse to go on your inevitable violent rampage in the way that previous games did. In fact they explicitly tell you that half the soldiers are just people who need to feed their families, seconds before asking you to machete them through the skulls regardless.

Everyone's annoying as fuck. "YOU ARE A GUEREEEEEELLA, DANI." Leave me alone!

Not played far into it but it looks like story missions are all but gone now. No more semi-scripted fun like the sinking ship level in Far Cry 3 or the mountainside prison escape in Far Cry 4. Just walking around getting phone calls telling you to go to X location and shoot everyone.

Sums up my feelings perfectly - I absolutely love far cry and this is basically "far cry innit" but the storyline is *terrible*, everything seems a bit too dark and enemies basically merge in with the background, guns wise it's a joke, anything but a sniper rifle is horrific to use - there's a ridiculous upgrade system and worst of all it's just borrrriiinngggg - just cause did it better years ago

Mobius

Was looking forward to playing this as a familiar comfort play where you know what you're getting, so I'm disappointed to hear they've fucked around with their boring predictable formula. Idiots.

Ferris

Thought "aha, why don't I simply buy FC3 which I haven't played before and that will be basically the same!" but its $45 (30 quid) for a nearly 10 year old game so err fuck that.

Mister Six

Quote from: Mobius on October 11, 2021, 11:44:10 PM
Was looking forward to playing this as a familiar comfort play where you know what you're getting, so I'm disappointed to hear they've fucked around with their boring predictable formula. Idiots.

The only bit of the formula they didn't change is having an awful story, apparently. Brilliant.

Villa_Gorilla

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 11, 2021, 05:21:01 PM
Losing the online mapmaker from 5 seems like a massive step backwards to me. It extended the life of the game by dozens of hours so surely that meant more they made money off skins and silly gold rifles or whatever, and people made some really cool and interesting stuff with it.

Im a big fan of the map editor too, gutted its not in far cry 6.  In far crys 3 4 and 5 I spent more time creating and playing maps than playing the actual games.

Neomod

Didn't they have a map maker back in 2 because I'm sure I played a Kevin Costner's Water World map on that one?