Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:29:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Far Cry 6

Started by Ferris, October 09, 2021, 01:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maett

I really don't like that the characters I should be helping are nearly all psychopathic, entitled, pierced and tattoed cunts. I've been compelled within minutes of meeting 2 of them to put a bullet in their heads and forego any attatched missions.  Alas they do not die.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on October 10, 2021, 12:49:25 PMfeel like an old lady now having last played far cry 2

If it helps, I'm currently playing Tomb Raider 2

Ferris

Forgot this existed. Still waiting for it to be available on PlayStation now or whatever.

Brundle-Fly

Picked this up for £35 at Cex last week. I'm enjoying it I s'pose, but I feel like it's just the same old, same old, but not as focussed as previous Far Cry games. It's like a new album by a favourite band who won't move on from the tried and tested formula.  I do like the companions though. Chorizo rules!

elliszeroed

£35? I would have expected it to be a tenner by now!

Brundle-Fly

Actually, enjoying it more today. It's not so bad.

wooders1978

It's overall ok - 3/5 I'd say

I'm currently replaying far cry primal - now that's a good far cry game

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: wooders1978 on February 14, 2022, 10:34:16 PMI'm currently replaying far cry primal - now that's a good far cry game

Played that recently and thought it was the best of the lot. One of the rare games where I could be bothered going for 100% of the achievements. I spent many hours wandering the land with my trusty scarfaced sabre tooth who killed my mates by my side, scaring the shit out of terrifying beasts, unintentionally freaking out mammoths and getting stomped to death, bashing the fuck out of cannibals and fire Nazis. Love it.

wooders1978

Yes can see myself doing all the sides and trophies - great map to explore and gameplay and story are very good

Brundle-Fly

I thought I wasn't going to overly enjoy Far Cry:Primal because of the lack of firepower but THAT is what makes it such a great romp. Who knew riding a wooly mammoth could be so exhilarating?

Egyptian Feast

There wasn't nearly enough wooly mammoth riding for my liking. Trashing villages and sending cavemen flying was way too much fun, shame they were stingy with it.

wooders1978

Playing primal reminded me - was there no version of "hurk" in fc6?

ElTwopo

I've been playing FC5 recently and was surprised to see not much had changed gameplay-wise since the last one I played ages ago (FC2).

Driving cars is still weirdly floaty and unsatisfying, and why on Earth is the button for looting bodies STILL the same as the button for swapping your weapon with those on the ground (right next to said fucking bodies). Annoying.

Nice big map to play in though, but way too busy (too many fucking bears and shit everywhere, not to mention the planes that constantly stalk you overhead after you reach a certain level of notoriety or whatever its called in the game). The companions you can have are a good innovation.

Got bored after about 15 hours though, so probably won't bother with FC6.

Auntie Beryl

Really enjoyed Far Cry Primal, so when FC6 dropped to a tenner for Prime Day I invested.

I paid a reasonable price for what I got - 6/10 is about right. Bound to get bored of it soon and abandon it less than halfway through I reckon.

Brundle-Fly

I finished it last week. Probably, my least favourite of the series. It felt like a step back (the sniper guns and the hunting beasts element were crap) but it was an enjoyable enough experience to complete. I think I just liked hanging around the sandy beaches seeing as I haven't seen one of those in a few years and unlikely to see any soon. The animal friends were smart.

Neomod

I've just started 5 as it's free on Gamepass.

Interesting location but nothing particularly groundbreaking so far.

Favourite's probably still FC2 (I've played them all apart from 6 and primal)

Looks like I should give Primal a go judging by the praise t'up thread.

Ferris

Quote from: Ferris on February 12, 2022, 04:26:28 PMForgot this existed. Still waiting for it to be available on PlayStation now or whatever.

My opinion hasn't changed in 6 months and actually I'd forgotten about it (again) in the interim.

Mister Six

I'd love a remake of 2. Such a great setting and so many good ideas, but having to put six magnum rounds into the torso of a guy wearing just a cotton vest and a pair of shorts every time you pass through a checkpoint, or dealing with an AI that psychically connects everyone within a 5 mile radius, like they're fucking pod people or something, drove me nuts.

Still the only game I can think of with a playable Sikh protagonist though. Which is something, I guess.

Sex Wax

Quote from: Mister Six on August 15, 2022, 01:04:13 PMI'd love a remake of 2.

God, same. Seeing a puff of blue smoke and realising I'm out of morphine might be the only time a video game has genuinely emotionally affected me.

samadriel

I was emotionally affected by playing Far Cry 2 the evening after a week of my first full time job and realising I'd been trudging through an inescapable river valley for about 30 minutes just so I could avoid one of the instant-enemy-respawn outposts. I was so disgusted that this game was wasting my now-precious free time that I quit. A remake would need a massive, massive amount of polish to turn it into a good game. I could go on for paragraphs about the fucked decisions that went into FC2.

Mister Six

The Crumb

I have a lot of time for 2, when it worked it really worked. Amazing setting too. I much preferred the gritty, downbeat vibe to the bantz and ham-fisted satire of later entries. Weird how it's still the most technically sophisticated of the games in some ways.

I get the time wasting thing, but there was also a genuine tension from how far apart the save points were on console. Some of those cross country treks felt like proper adventures.

samadriel

Quote from: Mister Six on August 15, 2022, 05:25:38 PMPlease do!
I hate how they tried to justify the game's economy by making the weapons break down after literally a single clip's worth of shooting, and making all the enemies' guns even worse when you picked them up (their guns never jammed when THEY were using them!) Weapon deterioration is an idiotic mechanic in any game (maybe not STALKER CoP, which is gold), and FC2 particularly takes the piss.

I hated the half-arsed attempt to create other characters to associate with. The way they built the system, they had to make the other characters completely without personality,  so that they could be slotted into your playthrough randomly. Who cares about supporting characters if they're just going to be a random bot with a hairstyle and a gun?

The regenerating outposts are absolutely disastrous for any sense of progression; you can wipe out an outpost, travel in the only direction reinforcements could come from and see no one, then go back through that outpost shortly (a few minutes) afterwards and it's fully manned again. Far Cry 3 fixed this a bit with the ability to conquer an outpost and have it be manned by your side. I remember some tool saying to me that I was complaining about shooting in a shooter when I brought this up, and I told him that there's more to a shooter than pumping bullets into the same old cunts over and over, accomplishing nothing.  It's an open world game, you have to take that feeling of progression where you can get it, not throw it away like the FC2 devs did.

You've got to be careful with your level design, you don't want to condemn an office worker to half an hour of boring trudging through mud during his precious gaming time just because he slipped down a hill during a gun fight. Games are meant to be enjoyable!

The malaria pills "mechanic" was completely pointless. Oops, screen turned yellow, press the pills button! I actually can't remember now if you had to restock your pill supply,  but if you did, it must have been piss easy, 'cos I never ran out. Maybe if it added to the atmosphere I could excuse it, but all it did was tint your screen and make you press a button.

That's all I can remember. Some of the basic ideas of FC2 were quite good, but the implementation was terrible.

Neomod

I didn't mind the regenerating outposts and thought the weapon deterioration was a nice touch. Great atmosphere too, really evocative.

I think they went too far the other way in 4 when you never saw an enemy once you had taken an area. Small enemy incursions would have kept you on your toes.

Oh and I think you had to do missions for the Dr to get the malaria pills.

The Crumb

Quote from: samadriel on August 16, 2022, 06:22:58 AMThe regenerating outposts are absolutely disastrous for any sense of progression; you can wipe out an outpost, travel in the only direction reinforcements could come from and see no one, then go back through that outpost shortly (a few minutes) afterwards and it's fully manned again. Far Cry 3 fixed this a bit with the ability to conquer an outpost and have it be manned by your side. I remember some tool saying to me that I was complaining about shooting in a shooter when I brought this up, and I told him that there's more to a shooter than pumping bullets into the same old cunts over and over, accomplishing nothing.  It's an open world game, you have to take that feeling of progression where you can get it, not throw it away like the FC2 devs did.

Not that it automatically justifies the idea or implementation, but it was very much a theme of the game that progress wasn't being made. Having a FC3 style conquering the map to make it friendly or safe wouldn't really have worked.

samadriel

Quote from: The Crumb on August 16, 2022, 10:42:04 AMNot that it automatically justifies the idea or implementation, but it was very much a theme of the game that progress wasn't being made. Having a FC3 style conquering the map to make it friendly or safe wouldn't really have worked.
Perhaps depicting your allies as being just as shady as your enemies would have permitted a sense of advancement without being too "nice". It's not impossible for your character to accomplish a personal goal while still depicting the country as being in deep shit.
Edit:  hang on, it's coming back to me - there ARE two equally seedy factions in the game!  I forgot all about that because the lazy cunts behind FC2 didn't actually depict them as being separate factions - whichever faction you joined,  both factions would attack on sight! If you'd had your guys in Seedy Faction A take over the outposts and not shot you,  it wouldn't have compromised the theme of the game at all!

Quote from: Neomod on August 16, 2022, 10:29:42 AMI didn't mind the regenerating outposts and thought the weapon deterioration was a nice touch. Great atmosphere too, really evocative.

My quarrel with both was that they were cranked to the point of absurdity;  advanced weapons fell apart after literally a single clip being used,  and outposts were restored so quickly it was kind of hilarious.  If you like those things, I strongly recommend STALKER:  Call of Pripyat, which implements both weapon deterioration and fought-over bases in a way that actually makes for a good game. Another thing SCoP gets right is that there's a variety of NPC reactions to your character,  from bandits wanting you dead for your stuff,  to factions who are either friendly, neglectful or malicious depending on who you've allied yourself to - another thing I remember thinking was shitty about FC2 is that the entire country was deranged with blood-lust for you,  even the people in the same faction as you.  It was like a videogame version of 28 Days Later,  and I know it's supposed to be a "shithole country", as Trump would put it,  but having every single inhabitant of a country driving their cars at you like a kamikaze and your own faction pointlessly desperate to see you dead really breaks immersion.

QuoteI think they went too far the other way in 4 when you never saw an enemy once you had taken an area. Small enemy incursions would have kept you on your toes.
I can agree with that, something like the GTA San Andreas gang wars would strike a fun balance between taking territory and seeing outposts return to enemy hands.

QuoteOh and I think you had to do missions for the Dr to get the malaria pills.

Ah, my mistake. I think I decided that disease would not be an effective mechanic in a videogame,  like how alcohol was a pointless irritant in the GTA games.

The Crumb

Quote from: samadriel on August 16, 2022, 11:26:12 AMPerhaps depicting your allies as being just as shady as your enemies would have permitted a sense of advancement without being too "nice". It's not impossible for your character to accomplish a personal goal while still depicting the country as being in deep shit.

Yeah, there was probably a more interesting system to be made. Mercenaries a generation before had shady factions in different parts of the map which would be more or less hostile depending on who you'd screwed over last.

Mister Six

Quote from: The Crumb on August 16, 2022, 11:29:58 AMYeah, there was probably a more interesting system to be made. Mercenaries a generation before had shady factions in different parts of the map which would be more or less hostile depending on who you'd screwed over last.

Jesus, Fallout 1 had that!

Good points, all. Speaking of slipping down the side of a hill and having to walk half an hour to get back up, I had an even worse experience in FC2: behind one of the safe houses (ah, I did like the Koyaanisqatsi time-skipping when you used them, though) there was a long, straight trench that was just a couple of feet deep, but if you stepped into it, you'd be trapped there until you reset the game. Obviously a bug, and put me right off exploring.

The Crumb

For a relatively sparse game, they were a fuck of a lot of bugs in Far Cry 2, including some game ruiners.

Ferris

Far Cry games have always been faintly ludicrous for regenerating baddies.

One of my main complaints about FC5 was that a stroll in the woods would inevitably lead to destroying dozens of armoured vehicles with your grenade launcher, along with scores of grunts who all looked the same, and usually a couple of helicopters and the odd fighter jet.

How militarized are these wankers? Must be thousands of them. Every thirty yards another gunship flies overhead with ground support. On long roads you can turn around and look where you've just been with your sniper rifle and literally see them pop into existence.

At certain points the road is so clogged up with burned out enemy vehicles you have to abandon your own car and walk into the woods to get around the wreckage. And then they all respawn 30 seconds later.