Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:22:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Documental (Japanese Comedy Show)

Started by fit bird, October 11, 2021, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on November 08, 2021, 07:42:27 AMJust finished the first series. They're very comfortable looking at each other's anuses. I laughed a lot.

Some people argue that Fujimoto
Spoiler alert
carefully removing tissue from Daisuke's anus hole
[close]
is where the show peaked and can never return. Pretty credible.

Jerzy Bondov

When they start going U S A I knew this was the show for me

Swoz_MK

I think the absolute peak is the closing moments of s2 where after 10mins of absolute mania trying to get the other to break by smacking bears, humping bears and spitting everywhere both
Spoiler alert
Kotoge and Saito turn to face each other both with a photo of Joyman on their forehead
[close]

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Swoz_MK on November 08, 2021, 03:56:09 PM
I think the absolute peak is the closing moments of s2 where after 10mins of absolute mania trying to get the other to break by smacking bears, humping bears and spitting everywhere both
Spoiler alert
Kotoge and Saito turn to face each other both with a photo of Joyman on their forehead
[close]

Jerzy Bondov

Who is Joyman anyway, I couldn't get any sense out of google

JamesTC

Series 3 really picks up with the curry and rice.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 08, 2021, 05:27:38 PM
Who is Joyman anyway, I couldn't get any sense out of google

Shinya Takagi is one half of the double act JOYMAN, but has ended up being referred to by the double act's name. Kazuyuki Iketani is the other half of the act. The act appears to mainly be tall gangly Takagi doing high pitched nonsense raps while awkwardly dancing and then the shorter Iketani overreacts to this happening.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: letsgobrian on November 09, 2021, 08:19:27 AMShinya Takagi is one half of the double act JOYMAN, but has ended up being referred to by the double act's name. Kazuyuki Iketani is the other half of the act. The act appears to mainly be tall gangly Takagi doing high pitched nonsense raps while awkwardly dancing and then the shorter Iketani overreacts to this happening.

That's it pretty much - what audiences have already noticed is that much of Japanese comedy in terms of live stand-up does tend to be based around double-acts in a way that we do not tend to see anymore in the UK, and definitely not in the US. Someone like Kukky has his own prank show, but for many of the others having a straight man/crazy man set-up is entirely the norm. I've seen rather a lot of it, and I can say that it it is not as distinct as the UK. A Japanese double-act can seem like Vic & Bob one minute, and then in the next breath it will be full broad Chuckle Bros material. It can seem like Bottom, and then Monty Python and then Lee Evans. It's quite disorientating.

Swoz_MK

Was fascinated when Kuro-Chan was described as "The most pranked comedian in Japan" in his S4 intro. I thought it may be mis-translated and that his whole thing was pranking people, but the only footage I've seen of him outside of Documental is DDT Wrestling. Minami Minegishi, do you have any info on him?

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: JamesTC on November 08, 2021, 09:30:33 PMSeries 3 really picks up with the curry and rice.

It does seem to suddenly turn a corner after a couple of episodes of Iwahashi Yoshimasa making loud noises to mystified contestants (although on rewatch that starts to become very funny in its own right).

I would say that Kinoshita Takayuki trying desperately not to laugh at the masseuse scene is up there as one of my favourite moments.

I think people are just down on season 3 because it does start slow and there is no Fujimoto, Daisuke or Jimmy to act as a fulcrum to the action.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Swoz_MK on November 09, 2021, 11:36:54 AMWas fascinated when Kuro-Chan was described as "The most pranked comedian in Japan" in his S4 intro. I thought it may be mis-translated and that his whole thing was pranking people, but the only footage I've seen of him outside of Documental is DDT Wrestling. Minami Minegishi, do you have any info on him?

There have been some really bad and clunky translations by Amazon, borne out by the excellent subs created by fans and recently Thanos. I checked this as well because it intruiged me when I was watching it and I came to the same conclusion as you that it was a shitty translation. But yes, he is someone on a show where he is pranked. I have yet to see this footage but I remain sceptical about any prank show with this kind of format as I simply do not believe you can keep pranking someone without them being attuned to it all of the time. Some of these comedians are definitely on the mainstream, Saturday night TV circuit, which makes their extreme actions all the more surprising.

I tried putting together a list of 10 known UK comedians who would be prepared to do something like Documental and I struggled. Vegas obviously, and maybe Vic, and perhaps a handful that have been on Taskmaster. But watching LOL and other post-documental versions, I can see that we would be unlikely to get the same level of intensity. Who amongst our semi-mainstream comedians would be prepared to walk out with a
Spoiler alert
clear, full erection
[close]
on national TV?

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on November 09, 2021, 11:40:17 AM
I would say that Kinoshita Takayuki trying desperately not to laugh at the masseuse scene is up there as one of my favourite moments.

This was like Brando in Apocalypse Now

unreal

Video Game Fan 2000

Kotouge
Spoiler alert
eliminating someone by doing absolutely nothing
[close]
then Matsumoto's
Spoiler alert
"its like you were sleeping upstairs and you came down because you were peckish"
[close]
destroyed us.

amateur

I can't remember which series it is, but Matsumoto says in reaction to one particular skit
Spoiler alert
"You did it for so long that it became part of my daily routine"
[close]
which is an an insanely good line.

The reactions are obviously key to this, but by doing it in the room with everyone there it makes it all such a joy.

Video Game Fan 2000

also
Spoiler alert
"like you were at a family reunion"
[close]
to someone (
Spoiler alert
Kinoshita?
[close]
) who was just walking around with a smile.

amateur

Yeah that's fucking brilliant.

I've stalled at episode 1 of season five as I haven't got my shit together to watch the fansubs, but need to dive back in. It's 100% the best thing I've watched this year.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: amateur on November 09, 2021, 12:57:57 PMI've stalled at episode 1 of season five as I haven't got my shit together to watch the fansubs, but need to dive back in. It's 100% the best thing I've watched this year.

Season 5, like season 3, seems like a downshift in gear compared to season 4 which is rightly considered one of the best. But like season 3, it creeps up on you. It also features what I consider to be easily the most revolting and almost unwatchable scenes in the series, including the Batsu games.
Spoiler alert
Foot licking.
[close]

Ja'moke

Watched the first episode of Season 8 last night. The line-up seems really promising. Going to be a nightmare waiting 2 weeks for each new episode, though! (but I appreciate that someone is even bothering to translate them)

Swoz_MK

I think we're gonna wait for them all. Never been able to watch just one.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 09, 2021, 04:22:49 PMWatched the first episode of Season 8 last night. The line-up seems really promising. Going to be a nightmare waiting 2 weeks for each new episode, though! (but I appreciate that someone is even bothering to translate them)

I had this with season 7, and now with season 8. The opening episode to each season has only contained a few minutes of active play, and so it plays out unsatisfyingly if there is no second episode to gorge on immediately afterwards. This led me to watch all the subsequent episodes with no subs and I can confirm that 50% of the action is just as funny. But the real laughs for me come from those small moments when someone like Fujimoto drops a subtle bomb like "eh?" and the subs are crucial for that.

Poobum

Kuro finally laughing at
Spoiler alert
Kukky moaning at him "don't give me just a square" (paraphrasing) whilst cleaning the piss up
[close]
is the kind of moment I love. Mundane observations in contrast to the absurd stuff going on is such a goldmine for laughing fits.

kidney

I liked Kuro from the start when he was
Spoiler alert
stood seemingly trying to listen to whatever Kurosawa is doing in the toilet. Then hours later he cracks for the first time when mopping up urine. Perhaps he has a thing for bodily fluids?
[close]
Season 4 is very fun, though I think overall my favourite is S2.

Gregory Torso

Absolutely loving the avatars in this thread.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Poobum on November 09, 2021, 06:02:03 PMKuro finally laughing at
Spoiler alert
Kukky moaning at him "don't give me just a square" (paraphrasing) whilst cleaning the piss up
[close]
is the kind of moment I love. Mundane observations in contrast to the absurd stuff going on is such a goldmine for laughing fits.

So often there will be a huge set-piece of elongated section where nobody laughs but the tension is very clear. Then it seems like after the tension is pricked they are more vulnerable to tiny moments like that. I thought Kuro was going to be untouchable throughout, and he almost was. But he is nothing compared to
Spoiler alert
season 5. That man has nerves of steel.
[close]

kidney

Finally getting through season 5.
Spoiler alert
What a gentle penis.
[close]

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: kidney on November 10, 2021, 04:30:36 PM
Finally getting through season 5.
Spoiler alert
What a gentle penis.
[close]

Ha! Just the most innocuous and off the cuff remarks will make them break.

Two props from season 5 really make it work: the
Spoiler alert
harmonica
[close]
and the
Spoiler alert
echo bear
[close]

kidney

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on November 10, 2021, 06:00:49 PM
Ha! Just the most innocuous and off the cuff remarks will make them break.

Two props from season 5 really make it work: the
Spoiler alert
harmonica
[close]
and the
Spoiler alert
echo bear
[close]

Absolutely, those moments were great.
Finished season 5 now, actually found myself warming to
Spoiler alert
Hollywood Zakoshi over time after initially being annoyed by him. I don't find him very funny but he's far and away the 'best' player of the game.
[close]
Spoiler alert
The man just stared down that massage routine at the end like it was nothing and didn't even break when he was the one getting the sordid treatment. Like you said, nerves of steel. Fair fucks to him, really.
[close]

Ja'moke

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on November 09, 2021, 05:41:05 PM
This led me to watch all the subsequent episodes with no subs and I can confirm that 50% of the action is just as funny. But the real laughs for me come from those small moments when someone like Fujimoto drops a subtle bomb like "eh?" and the subs are crucial for that.

And you miss killer lines like,
Spoiler alert
Remember throwable dumplings?
[close]

Lost Oliver

Sorry to be that guy but could someone explain exactly how I can get hold of series 5-8? I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned here but I'm so wary of spoilers, I don't want to ruin anything.

Swoz_MK

Quote from: Lost Oliver on November 11, 2021, 08:30:17 AM
Sorry to be that guy but could someone explain exactly how I can get hold of series 5-8? I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned here but I'm so wary of spoilers, I don't want to ruin anything.

Will DM