Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:52:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Documental (Japanese Comedy Show)

Started by fit bird, October 11, 2021, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fit bird

Half way through 7 now and
Spoiler alert
Zakoshi just playing videos
[close]
doesn't really feel like it's in the spirit of the game at all. Although to be honest maybe I just think that because I don't like him. He's really the least funny person out of everyone who's appeared but somehow he does really well! Inexplicable.

Ja'moke

Spoiler alert
Zakoshi annoyed me at first but he really grew on me, especially in Season 7. And it's not as if he was the only one that played videos. His videos were great too, weird as fuck but absurdly funny.

Also, it seems a lot of his act is based on exaggerated impersonations of Japanese pop culture figures. So I'm sure there is a lot lost in translation.
[close]

I've finished all seven available seasons now and I'm sad. There has been 9 in total, right? But nobody has subbed S8 and 9 yet?

fit bird

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 01, 2021, 01:23:07 AM
Spoiler alert
Zakoshi annoyed me at first but he really grew on me, especially in Season 7. And it's not as if he was the only one that played videos. His videos were great too, weird as fuck but absurdly funny.

Also, it seems a lot of his act is based on exaggerated impersonations of Japanese pop culture figures. So I'm sure there is a lot lost in translation.
[close]
Spoiler alert
Yeah I'm probably just being unfair. Still, I hope sitting around watching videos doesn't become a regular feature. I didn't mind things like Cookie showing off his weird photoshopped pictures because it was more 'live' and they interacted with it more, but the videos just feel different somehow.
[close]
Quote from: Ja'moke on November 01, 2021, 01:23:07 AM
I've finished all seven available seasons now and I'm sad. There has been 9 in total, right? But nobody has subbed S8 and 9 yet?
Yeah, S8 is currently being translated.
The batsu games are probably worth checking out if you need something to tide you over. Lots of documental contestants have shown up on those.
Spoiler alert
Jimmy
[close]
makes a guest appearance almost every year
Spoiler alert
doing stuff like sucking pig nipples and getting zapped by electricity while he's trying to sleep.
[close]

Swoz_MK

We too have finished 7, so straight back to 1 for the 5th time.
The ability to
Spoiler alert
play videos to the others
[close]
really does seem like a step too far, but fuck me
Spoiler alert
it worked wonders on that new kid
[close]
Didn't season 8 have to be re-recorded because it was basically unbroadcastable or was that just Reddit guff that I've misread?

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Swoz_MK on November 01, 2021, 08:56:21 AM
We too have finished 7, so straight back to 1 for the 5th time.

If you have chosen the Non-Amazon Path (NAP) to watching these then you might want to watch those versions of seasons 1-4 as the subbers and redditors for Gaki no Tsukai have worked tirelessly to also provide text giving context to some of the jokes and references.

QuoteDidn't season 8 have to be re-recorded because it was basically unbroadcastable or was that just Reddit guff that I've misread?

There has been quite a lot of chatter about this on the Japanese forums and I have been trying to make sense of it. This is from Reddit - the documentary they are referring to is Documentary of Documental Season 2:

https://old.reddit.com/r/GakiNoTsukai/comments/ppd6op/documentary_of_documental_s2_aka_the_lost_season/?ref=share&ref_source=link

QuoteThe whole 4 episodes of the documentary is the "original" Season 8 with the members in the background rewatching the episodes trying to find out what they have done wrong & discussing what they can do to fix it for the next season.

The short answer: wanking. Which is odd if you have seen Documental season 3, but I assume it is a great deal more explicit.

Swoz_MK

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on November 03, 2021, 01:48:34 PM
If you have chosen the Non-Amazon Path (NAP) to watching these then you might want to watch those versions of seasons 1-4 as the subbers and redditors for Gaki no Tsukai have worked tirelessly to also provide text giving context to some of the jokes and references.

Ah that's great! Really appreciated when those explanations popped up in the later series!

Your avatar by the way, excellent.

Ja'moke

So does that mean there is no actual Season 8 to be subbed and uploaded?

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Swoz_MK on November 03, 2021, 02:44:11 PMAh that's great! Really appreciated when those explanations popped up in the later series!

It does take away some of the disorientating pleasure of being lost within the very oddest ends of mainstream Japanese comedy, but it also nice to know who people like Joyman are and how some of the most innocuous comments are actually clever, subtle attacks. It also highlights how much of the content is just utter fucking nonsense with no context whatsoever.

Your avatar by the way, excellent.[/quote]

I have cried laughing at so much but the closing moments of Joshimental 1 is up there as one of my favourites.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on November 03, 2021, 01:48:34 PM

The short answer: wanking. Which is odd if you have seen Documental season 3, but I assume it is a great deal more explicit.

Another comment on Reddit says it got banned because
Spoiler alert
the stuff that happened in the last hour of the Documental is what got the season pulled. Kubota asking the guys to hump his ass and slapping their dick in his face. Soshina's dick even got in his mouth for a bit.
[close]

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 03, 2021, 02:50:23 PMSo does that mean there is no actual Season 8 to be subbed and uploaded?

Yes, there is a entirely separate season 8 which aired in 2020, and season 9 aired in early 2021. I'm not entirely sure why there has been a delay given that Joshimental (2020) was subbed. Perhaps it's just a time and effort issue, but it could also be to boost their Patreon which frankly is fair enough. I am a Patron and you might want to be as well.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 03, 2021, 02:55:37 PMAnother comment on Reddit says it got banned because
Spoiler alert
the stuff that happened in the last hour of the Documental is what got the season pulled. Kubota asking the guys to hump his ass and slapping their dick in his face. Soshina's dick even got in his mouth for a bit.
[close]

Yes, I do remember seeing that now but had completely forgotten. From what I can see this is entirely an Amazon issue- something that the Batsu games do not have to deal with. The show is funded by Amazon and although they usually do not seem to care, the original season 8 was just too much. Apparently the Documental documentary that features the original footage *did* go out on Japanese TV and people have seen it, but this also has not been subbed. I assume they bypassed Amazon and embedded the footage in the doc as a way to get that stuff out there. I'm dying to see it, naturally.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on November 03, 2021, 03:00:30 PM
Yes, there is a entirely separate season 8 which aired in 2020, and season 9 aired in early 2021. I'm not entirely sure why there has been a delay given that Joshimental (2020) was subbed. Perhaps it's just a time and effort issue, but it could also be to boost their Patreon which frankly is fair enough. I am a Patron and you might want to be as well.

Ah ok. So the original Season 8 is just lost to time? Or did it air as normal in Japan? EDIT: Just seen you answered this above.

I've also just seen that they've announced Season 10 is a Champion of Champions edition!

What is the link to the Patreon, please.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 03, 2021, 03:04:33 PM
I've also just seen that they've announced Season 10 is a Champion of Champions edition!

For me this is just the best news I got this week (sad, but true). I won't talk about it too much because it is too spoilery, and that is partly because I have seen chunks of season 8 and 9 and know the winners. But it should be fantastic, especially if it also features Joshimental/Ikemental winners.

QuoteWhat is the link to the Patreon, please.

I'm trying to be careful with these posts so perhaps PM me?

BTW - if anyone likes these shows and have seen the Batsu games and generally like the level of silliness, it is always a pleasure to dip into The Silent Library 24/7 stream: https://live.teamgaki.com/247.php

Ja'moke

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on November 03, 2021, 03:12:46 PM
For me this is just the best news I got this week (sad, but true). I won't talk about it too much because it is too spoilery, and that is partly because I have seen chunks of season 8 and 9 and know the winners. But it should be fantastic, especially if it also features Joshimental/Ikemental winners.
I'm trying to be careful with these posts so perhaps PM me?

No worries, I found the Patreon link on Reddit.

Also, what are the Ikemental games?

fit bird

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on November 03, 2021, 03:00:30 PM
The previous translator vanished and never came back, so there's been a big delay between people waiting to see if they would return and a new one deciding to step in.
In a few weeks the new one has done all of season 7, so if it continues at this rate they'll catch up quite soon.

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 03, 2021, 02:55:37 PM
Another comment on Reddit says it got banned because
Spoiler alert
[close]
Jesus Christ, that's next level stuff.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 03, 2021, 03:16:14 PM
Also, what are the Ikemental games?

So far it has only been one episode, but after the first Joshimental (which was a massive success quite rightly) the creators became more confident with the idea of putting non-comedians into the room. So, Ikemental is basically a general j-pop/celebrity/model male episode one-off to mirror Joshimental. It was also very popular so they have already made a second. It has a different energy to the main Documental for obvious reasons, and is interesting and hilarious because of that.

The use of Enya in the first Ikemental is a real highlight. I'll leave that there.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 03, 2021, 03:16:14 PMNo worries, I found the Patreon link on Reddit.

Good man - I'm chomping at the bit for season 8.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: fit bird on November 03, 2021, 03:17:40 PMThe previous translator vanished and never came back, so there's been a big delay between people waiting to see if they would return and a new one deciding to step in. In a few weeks the new one has done all of season 7, so if it continues at this rate they'll catch up quite soon.

I knew there had been a handover so thanks for those extra details and that does indeed bode well.

Jerzy Bondov

Hey man welcome to CaB and thanks for the helpful info, I'm still on Season 3 but nice to know there's more to come. Love it.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on November 03, 2021, 03:19:33 PM
So far it has only been one episode, but after the first Joshimental (which was a massive success quite rightly) the creators became more confident with the idea of putting non-comedians into the room. So, Ikemental is basically a general j-pop/celebrity/model male episode one-off to mirror Joshimental. It was also very popular so they have already made a second. It has a different energy to the main Documental for obvious reasons, and is interesting and hilarious because of that.

The use of Enya in the first Ikemental is a real highlight. I'll leave that there.

Ah interesting. I'll have to seek that out.

It's the most I've enjoyed a reality competition show since The Genius Game.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 03, 2021, 03:23:56 PMHey man welcome to CaB and thanks for the helpful info, I'm still on Season 3 but nice to know there's more to come. Love it.

Thanks, I appreciate it. This thread now comes up on google searches for this and other related shows. Season 3 is seen as the weakest season, and it does take a while to get going, but episodes 4 and 5 are for me are as good as any documental before or after. The lack of Yoshimoto, Daisuke and Jimmy takes some getting used to but PROPER SPOILER:
Spoiler alert
that makes it all the more sweet when they return.
[close]

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 03, 2021, 03:26:33 PM
Ah interesting. I'll have to seek that out.

It's the most I've enjoyed a reality competition show since The Genius Game.

I love every season of that show and how it developed, and it did pop into my mind when I first saw Documental 1. Was there ever a thread here for it?

Ja'moke

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on November 03, 2021, 03:33:06 PM
I love every season of that show and how it developed, and it did pop into my mind when I first saw Documental 1. Was there ever a thread here for it?

I believe I started a thread for it once upon a time but it didn't gain much traction.

kidney

Some fantastic avatars in this thread, I might have to join the party with a Jimmy or Daisuke face.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 03, 2021, 03:40:27 PMI believe I started a thread for it once upon a time but it didn't gain much traction.

Maybe things have changed over lockdown. People seem to have opened up more in terms of accessing Asian TV I have noticed.

Your avatar btw - one of the highlights of season 3 and of the zombie concept generally. I don't know how I feel about the zombie stuff as I like seeing players hoisted by their own petard during normal play, but that fucking Kukky monster is great!

amateur

I like the "ZOMBIE TIME" jingle a lot, sometimes I find myself saying it at work.

I love Swoz_MK's avatar best of all, I can actually hear it.

Minami Minegishi

Great news for those waiting for more Documental - This morning Thanos posted the subbed Season 8, Episode 1, as well as giving out a rough itinerary. Bear in mind that Thanos usually posts subbed episodes every fortnight:

Late night special!

Documental Season 8 Episode 1 - "Welcome to Hell"

I've decided to complete Season 8 first before moving onto the Documentary of Documental episodes (which include Season 0 and the banned-original Season 8).

Might complete Joshimental S2 and Ikemental before Documentary of Documental S1+S2. Once all of these are complete, I will work on Season 9 and then maybe do some GnT subs before working on S10.

Enrico Palazzo

Just finished the first series. They're very comfortable looking at each other's anuses. I laughed a lot.

Swoz_MK

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on November 08, 2021, 07:37:12 AM
Great news for those waiting for more Documental - This morning Thanos posted the subbed Season 8, Episode 1, as well as giving out a rough itinerary. Bear in mind that Thanos usually posts subbed episodes every fortnight:

Late night special!

Documental Season 8 Episode 1 - "Welcome to Hell"

I've decided to complete Season 8 first before moving onto the Documentary of Documental episodes (which include Season 0 and the banned-original Season 8).

Might complete Joshimental S2 and Ikemental before Documentary of Documental S1+S2. Once all of these are complete, I will work on Season 9 and then maybe do some GnT subs before working on S10.

fantastic news, nice one.