Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:38:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Forza Horizon 5: Aztec Boogaloo

Started by Blue Jam, November 28, 2021, 07:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

On Game Pass now, lads. Suzuki Esteem barn find or GTFO.

Famous Mortimer

Let's get together and do things. Little bit bummed out my beloved 1981 Ford Fiesta XR2 isn't in the game, but we move on.

Wonderful Butternut

Could've sworn I saw a drivatar using a Fiesta XR2 yesterday.
EDIT: Yeah it's there, it's just not available in the Autoshow. It drops as a prize from wheelspins and such.

I'm up for some online FH5, although since I drive from the low FoV cockpit view cos I'm used to sims, I won't see shit around me and will likely be useless in traffic.

Currently regularly using:

Mazda RX-7 Spirit R
Nissan R390
Renault 5 Turbo

Haven't settled on a preferred Baja car yet. Was using the lifted 370Z Forza Edition as a go anywhere runaround until I got the 959, but with its jelly suspension, I don't think it'll race well even on Baja. Used a Willys Jeep for a Domination challenge but that's the only one I've done so far. Plus specific cars for specific challenges. Dropped the 7.4l TT engine from the Funco buggy into a 90s Chevy Impala for a speed camera challenge. 5th gear wheelspin anyone?

Famous Mortimer

Nice one, Wonderful Butternut. If I can't tear round the streets of Mexico in a boy-racer's dream car, what's the point?

Blue Jam

You can race a cargo plane over Teotihuacan. Yep, this is pretty badass.

I'll be pootling about Mexico in a Transit van as soon as I can.

Famous Mortimer

I did some team stuff with my mate in Australia, and it was a right laugh. I don't know how you add people, but if you're on PC, my Xbox name is "Gag Ha1frunt" (1 instead of an L there).

Blue Jam

My Xbox Gamertag is "BrawDug" but I must warn you I am crap at driving games and more into Forza for the pretty scenery. You may just find me in a Morris Minor as well.

BeardFaceMan

"BeardFaceMan" on xbox, its just nice to have some people who play the game on your friends list to compare leaderboard scores if nothing else.

Blue Jam

Hahahaha, there's a Battle Royale event in this! No fckn way

BeardFaceMan

The thing I hated about The Eliminator in FH4 was that it was incredibly difficult to find any cars to upgrade,  I was just endlessly driving around in a level 1 car looking for some smoke until a higher level car came across me and eliminated me. It feels a lot better this time around, car drops are not as rare, and I found an excellent start point on the map where there's always a car drop so that makes a nice start to the game (it was a level 6 car on one occasion). Even managed to win one, I never got to the final showdown at all in FH4.

Famous Mortimer

I've been playing it for a few days now, and it's pretty good. Love the racing and the scenery, and will get used to the new screen layouts. Although the reward system is a pain, and rather non-intuitive.

In terms of the gameplay, I think it's a bit more forgiving of a looser driving style, and a bit less forgiving of non-optimal builds and car choices. I grabbed an Urus and used it for an offroad race, which I won by five seconds; then I tried it on a slightly different style of offroad circuit, and couldn't get better than 4th no matter how hard I tried. I'm only on "highly skilled" at the moment so I'm not sure it should be switching to the "without the exact right sort of car, built the right way, you've got no chance" difficulty level just yet.

Disclaimer: I could just be rubbish at that track. I've never experienced the difficulty spikes people talked about in the FH4 thread, so this might just be it rearing its head for me, though.

beanheadmcginty

Does anyone else think that the stats that you're meant to use to compare cars are completely wrong? For example, the Ford RS200 has pretty crap looking stats but it's an absolute beast that completely trounces everything it races. Whereas the Aston Martin Vulcan has a handling rating of 10 and handles like a compete piece of shit.

BeardFaceMan

I've definitely had cars with a 10 in speed that are slower than cars with a lower rating. Like, a 10 speed rating might be the the fastest that particular car can go but a better car with a lower rating can be faster so I suppose it depends on your knowledge of cars and which ones are good (which is me fucked)? I've no idea, really, I've never got the hang of comparing stats, I tend to just look at what others are using and go for that.

Wonderful Butternut

I don't really look at the stats much, but as far as I can tell the handling stat is based on lateral grip. But that's not the be all and end all of handling.

The physics aren't simulation level, but they're detailed enough that a car could have a very high level of grip, but still be quite unpredictable near the limit and in transition because of how the car is balanced grip-wise thus making it hard to actually use all the grip in practice. 4WD cars, and most hypercars are 4WD, also tend to be understeer city with their default setup in Horizon games, so if you accidentally carry a little too much speed into a corner you're just gonna plow on straight.

I don't think I've driven the Vulcan, I might try it just to see.

As for speed, I think that's just top speed. Whether the car takes 3 weeks to get there or not is not accounted for.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on December 01, 2021, 12:35:21 PMAs for speed, I think that's just top speed. Whether the car takes 3 weeks to get there or not is not accounted for.

I've found that choosing the car with the highest speed rating works well for the speed camera and Danger Sign challenges, but you may need to take a very long run-up to reach maximum speed. For that one at the abandoned airport I think I used the entire length of the runway, and the MacLaren Senna really needed it.

On the subject of grip, I managed to get to 15th in Eliminator after finding a drop of some proper 80's boy racer Peugeot, only to have to drive it up a steep hill and find it had no grip whatsoever as the play area wall passed over. That was amusingly crap.

My Eliminator runs are being mostly ruined by the netcode shitting out and having all the other players being invisible, to the point that they don't even appear on the map.

Blue Jam

Got the Morris Minor, might try and drive up a mountain in it.

No Transit van this time? I had a laugh driving one of those round the Nürburgring in Forza Motorsport 6.

Blue Jam

Slightly disappointed to note that Timeless FM has been replaced with Radio Eterna, I'm missing Sarcastic Australian Presenter Man.

While I mainly listen to the classical stuff in these games that intro was properly exhilarating wasn't it? Parachuting over a volcano to this set the scene nicely, I was dancing in my seat:

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 01, 2021, 02:27:35 PMSlightly disappointed to note that Timeless FM has been replaced with Radio Eterna, I'm missing Sarcastic Australian Presenter Man.
Me too! That was the only station I ever had on. The new classical presenter isn't anywhere near as good.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 01, 2021, 02:33:03 PMMe too! That was the only station I ever had on. The new classical presenter isn't anywhere near as good.

She's certainly very enthusiastic, but I don't want that. I miss that grumpy sarcastic git.

Wonderful Butternut

I'm also a little disappointed with the clothing options. By this point in FH4 my Drivatar was looking properly fabulous in his top hat, silver waistcoat and bow tie. Don't seem to have such option in 5, unless they're hidden until you unlock them.

Famous Mortimer

You can buy clothes in FH5, which I like (although the stuff you can buy isn't as much fun as the stuff you can unlock). I was a pair of gold trousers away from the full good set in FH4, which is the thing that might make me go back to it at some point.

TheGingerAlien

Does anyone know if they've fixed the save issues yet?  I was loving this game initially and put a canny few hours into it, only to lose a load of progress.  Sort of put me off.  It's bloody good though - they've got some stuff I own IRL in there and it does a pretty good job of translating the differences in feel between the cars. 

I've been playing it through on the most stupid settings possible (albeit on pad, but still with manual clutch etc) and I get the impression that really it doesn't matter which car you pick - the races are all sort of set up to be close, as long as you're reasonably competent. Suspect I'd get my arse handed to me if I raced online.

I think they're missing a trick by not adding a 'nightmare' difficulty level which includes having to pay tax, insurance, petrol, maintenance, divorce lawyer ("I wish you loved me as much as that fucking car" etc. etc.  Also features pedestrians calling you out on your horrific environmental crimes, frequent petrol station visits and downloadable ginsters pasties.  Come on Forza, sort it out.

On another note - are all the electric cars in the game shite?  Like, is there any joy (in a game) without the sound of an engine to gauge what's going on? I thought I'd enjoy the peace and quiet but it just felt odd.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on December 01, 2021, 11:37:49 PMDoes anyone know if they've fixed the save issues yet?
I kind of had the opposite. At the weekend, I raced the Colossus in a convoy and won; then, when I eventually unlocked it, it immediately gave me the credit and rewards for winning.

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on December 01, 2021, 09:58:23 PMI'm also a little disappointed with the clothing options. By this point in FH4 my Drivatar was looking properly fabulous in his top hat, silver waistcoat and bow tie. Don't seem to have such option in 5, unless they're hidden until you unlock them.

Yeah, people got annoyed with the frequency of clothing drops in wheelspins in 4, so it feels like they've toned it down a lot. More fool them. I enjoyed dressing my avatar up like a massive dickhead and whilst I've done the best I can, there's nowhere near enough sequins and bright colours in 5 for my liking.

Wonderful Butternut

Removing junk from wheelspins was fine, but they could still leave lots of clothing options in the game that players just buy with in game currency.

beanheadmcginty

What's with all the catchphrases I keep winning? Are they for shouting at online opponents, i.e. totally worthless to me?

Wonderful Butternut

Yep, that's exactly what they're for.

Famous Mortimer

You get...4?..."speech" options, to stop people spamming chat with Nazi slogans one would assume, and you can pick anything you've unlocked. Far far more pointless than wacky clothes.

Chollis