Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:32:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dr Strange 2 [split topic]

Started by mothman, December 22, 2021, 05:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on January 26, 2022, 06:56:40 PMJust saw this again and thought I'd look at Marvel's upcoming roster. The multiverse-related stuff is in bold. Possibly/probably multiverse-related stuff is in italics.

Moon Knight (TV, March 2022)
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (May 2022)
Thor: Love and Thunder (July 2022)
She-Hulk (TV, mid-2022)
Ms. Marvel (TV, mid-2022)
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (November 2022)
Secret Invasion (TV, late 2022)
Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (TV, December 2022)
The Marvels (February 2023)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (May 2023)
Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania (July 2023)
Fantastic Four (TBA)
Ironheart (TV, TBA)
Armor Wars (TV, TBA)
Untitled Wakanda series (TV, TBA)
Loki (TV, TBA)

So that's not too bad - just that Spider-Man and Dr Strange 2 were released consecutively. But since one follows directly on from the other, I guess that makes sense.

I can understand people watching them on a subscription service, but imagine paying to see each of those individual films in a cinema.

Or doing that and then having the gall to complain ever again about being skint.

Dr Rock

Crenners

Mcu fans would probably pay to watch an episode a week at the pictures if they had any money left after buying their hulk lunchboxes and captain America pj's.

phantom_power

Quote from: Replies From View on January 26, 2022, 11:35:52 PMI can understand people watching them on a subscription service, but imagine paying to see each of those individual films in a cinema.

Or doing that and then having the gall to complain ever again about being skint.

Yes that 20-odd quid a year is a real strain on the budget

madhair60

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Blind Bag Lego Marvel Minifigs $3,600
Utility $150

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Dr Rock

Quote from: Crenners on January 26, 2022, 11:50:40 PMMcu fans would probably pay to watch an episode a week at the pictures if they had any money left after buying their hulk lunchboxes and captain America pj's.

I'd pay double!

Mister Six

Quote from: madhair60 on January 27, 2022, 08:46:10 AMFood $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Blind Bag Lego Marvel Minifigs $3,600
Utility $150

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

All right, that made me laugh.

Stonefish

Quote from: C_Larence on January 26, 2022, 04:59:27 PMThey do this in the What If episode with t'challa as star lord.

Oh thanks, I haven't seen those but will check it out and nod approvingly at that bit.

mothman

Superb Owl trailer:

https://twitter.com/marvel/status/1493000292501131265

(YouTube link to follow, I'm sure)

One massive holy-shit-you-don't-think? moment in there:

Spoiler alert
The line "We should tell him the truth." That's Patrick Stewart. Whoever these Multiverse Police are that take Strange into custody, could their leadership include an alternate Xavier?
[close]

beanheadmcginty

I hope it's Captain Picard instead of Professor X.

Mister Six

Stewart seemed pretty adamant about not returning to Xavier after his ending in Logan, but given that he's happy to do the Picard show, maybe he'll take any job if there's cash behind it. If he is playing Xavier - and Marvel have a habit of hiring notable over-50s and shunting them into tiny supporting roles, so maybe not - perhaps they persuaded him by saying this would put a cap on "his" films ahead of their MCU rebirth. Plus, playing Xavier he has a good excuse to just sit down through the whole thing.

Don't get much of a read on the film as a whole, but I might just skip the future trailers, as I'll probably end up seeing this in the cinemas anyway, sucker that I am.

mothman

I suspect the offer of what's likely to be little more than a cameo, a passing of the torch much in the same way ST: Generations was, might tempt him back. A day's work for much more than many of us make in a year, not to be sneezed at.

Kelvin

Surely its not Professor X from the other films, but a version from a different universe who oversees the multiverse or something.

It's kind of a shame that I can't stand Cumberbatch's accent as Strange, as this is the first Marvel trailer that's interested me since Infinity War.

phantom_power

Quote from: mothman on February 14, 2022, 11:15:43 PMI suspect the offer of what's likely to be little more than a cameo, a passing of the torch much in the same way ST: Generations was, might tempt him back. A day's work for much more than many of us make in a year, not to be sneezed at.

The implication is also that, given Marvel are pretty tight-lipped about this sort of thing (see the denials of Maguire and Garfield being in Spiderman), if they will show this in the trailer, what are they not showing?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

How long before we get the live action Marvel Vs. Capcom Cinematic Universe?

Magnum Valentino

Mister Six

Quote from: mothman on February 14, 2022, 11:15:43 PMI suspect the offer of what's likely to be little more than a cameo, a passing of the torch much in the same way ST: Generations was, might tempt him back. A day's work for much more than many of us make in a year, not to be sneezed at.

Yeah, that's what I meant. A quick role, one final performance as "proper" Xavier before it's recast (fuck you, MacAvoy), pick up a cool half mil and you're done. Not bad.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 15, 2022, 11:04:05 AM

How long before we get the live action Marvel Vs. Capcom Cinematic Universe?

If Rogue's arse is as fantastic as 15-year-old me remembers, it can't come soon enough (much like 15-year-old me, actually).

Glebe

Quote from: Mister Six on February 14, 2022, 02:46:53 AMStewart seemed pretty adamant about not returning to Xavier after his ending in Logan, but given that he's happy to do the Picard show, maybe he'll take any job if there's cash behind it. If he is playing Xavier - and Marvel have a habit of hiring notable over-50s and shunting them into tiny supporting roles, so maybe not - perhaps they persuaded him by saying this would put a cap on "his" films ahead of their MCU rebirth. Plus, playing Xavier he has a good excuse to just sit down through the whole thing.

Yeah surprised to see him return, pretty sure Hugh Jackman has been similarly adamant about not coming back as Wolfie too. But as you say Six, I'm sure the paycheck was tempting.

This New Rockstars trailer breakdown points out some crazy details, including an animated bit that suggests a What If...? tie-in. Tom Cruise has been rumoured to cameo as an alternative Iron Man (apparently he had been mooted for the original role?):

Captain Z

Dr. Strange 2: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The MCU

mothman

Quote from: Glebe on February 19, 2022, 10:33:39 PMThis New Rockstars trailer breakdown points out some crazy details, including an animated bit that suggests a What If...? tie-in. Tom Cruise has been rumoured to cameo as an alternative Iron Man (apparently he had been mooted for the original role?):

I usually avoid these sorts of videos like the plague but watched this whole one. Some of the references (inferences?) relied on a far greater knowledge of Marvel lore than I have but it was still interesting.

Though I thought the seated possibly-Illuminati figure on the left looked more like a figure in armour, i.e. maybe (an) Iron Man.

13 schoolyards

Saw this last night and the usual sloppy Marvel storytelling that leaves you wondering if you actually saw a movie or just a bunch of things that happened is back! It's basically a slightly less charming Spider-Man: No Way Home in that the guest stars are a big part of the appeal (but a smaller part of the story here) while everything else is just a way to get between fights or big magic scenes.

Mild spoilers for magic use:
Spoiler alert
I was set to say "oh fuck off" when the first big magic battle was just firing magic lasers at magic shields, but later on there's a decently inventive magic battle using musical notes of all things. Guess when Danny Elfman is doing the score you take full advantage of it. 
[close]

Big spoilers for The Illuminati:
Spoiler alert
No Tom Cruise
[close]

What was slightly interesting is that either Marvel told Sam Raimi "we want some of that old Evil Dead magic" or he figured reaching into his bag of tricks was the only way he could make this entertaining. It's not Evil Dead 4 or anything, but there are just enough of his trademark wacky moments - and some zombies, and the spirits of the damned, and a decent Bruce Campbell cameo - to remind you that Evil Dead is always worth a revisit.

bgmnts

I watched a bit of that new Spiderman film where the three Spideys came together, which featured Dr Strange heavily, and I liked when they were all together fighting baddies and being a bit silly. That's comic book stuff to me.

Sadly, I just couldn't care less about Dr Strange. I find him boring, I find Benedict Cumberbatch boring, I find marvel space opera shit boring and the multiverse stuff boring.

But then, Sam Raimi... so fuck knows...

Small Man Big Horse

This Independent piece suggests the major UK reviewers have mostly given it 2 stars, The Guardian gave it 3, and only the Evening Standard gave it a 5 star review: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/doctor-strange-2-multiverse-of-madness-reviews-metacritic-score-b2071142.html

The AV Club rated it a C-, though I've no idea if their film reviewer is any good now that A.A. Dowd has left the building.

I was planning on seeing this at the weekend, but may well now wait for it to turn up online.

beanheadmcginty

First third is dreck, second third is middling, third third is really good fun. That's my review.

BritishHobo

Has anyone ever seen a film in 4DX? I'm seeing this in 4DX tonight and I'm worried it might kill me, or it won't kill me but give me a massive headache and make me feel like a dickhead.

Also I rewatched the first one in preparation and god it was dull. I like Dr. Strange in the comics I've read, and his appearances in the other films, so I'm hoping this will be alright for being a bit madder than the first one.

madhair60

You could always simply not see the sequel to a bad film you don't like. Sorry if this seems rude

BritishHobo

But then how will I know if I still don't like it

madhair60

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 05, 2022, 11:15:39 AMBut then how will I know if I still don't like it

that's fair.

despite my general exhaustion with the MCU I would quite like to see this because Sam Raimi, and I do like my demons etc. Some spoilery clips I've seen suggest they actually let him do some Raimi-bobs. But I haven't seen WandaVision - honestly, who has the patience for that shit.

BritishHobo

I do feel like I'm a buffoon who keeps letting myself be tricked, and has been since the first Avengers film. WandaVision is probably the latest example. Started out very strong and then became the same thing it always does. I've not seen the last load of films (excepting Spider-Man) and went off the shows after not really being fussed by Loki. But there'll always come along something like this with a little hook (Sam Raimi) to make me think "maybe this time..." like Charlie Brown running to kick the football. "Maybe this time it will tell a compelling story and not feel like a shallow template."

BritishHobo

Just checked and I still don't like it