Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:23:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bob Odenkirk autobiography and UK tour

Started by Blue Jam, January 20, 2022, 01:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SweetPomPom

Looks like a lot bought into the presale, nothing close enough to warrant the lengthy journey. Crossing fingers for RHLSTP and Richard being too startstruck..

Blue Jam

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 27, 2022, 10:09:29 AMJust got my tickets for Ally Pally! Third row centre, kickass seats.

I am genuinely made up for you! You're gonna meet him, arrrghh!

I'm just hoping he comes to Embra or Glasgow now...

The Mollusk

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 27, 2022, 10:57:44 AMI am genuinely made up for you! You're gonna meet him, arrrghh!

<Bob voice> I HAVE TO LIVE WITH THIS AND YOU HAVE TO SUPPORT ME

Blue Jam

Quote from: SweetPomPom on January 27, 2022, 10:26:46 AMLooks like a lot bought into the presale, nothing close enough to warrant the lengthy journey.

Looks like it's not the presale, but that a lot of tickets have been reserved for sale direct from Ally Pally- that link again:

https://www.alexandrapalace.com/whats-on/bob-odenkirk/

Loads more available here!

Ally Pally is a pain in the arse to get to though, you're right.

The Mollusk

I used to live right at the foot of the Alexandra Palace park and even then I thought it was a pain in the arse trekking up the hill.

SweetPomPom

Ta for that, much better selection. I'm in! :)

Saw Bauhaus last Autumn at Ally Pally, parked at the bottom of the hill at the opposite end to the entrance - that's a fucking long muddy old climb in the dark.

Blue Jam

Yaaaaay! Enjoy!

dr beat and I were at Ally Pally for the snooker a few weeks back and found the easiest way to get there by far was by taxi. The place could do with its own Tube station. I don't mind big hills but the park is quite poorly-lit and sprawling, it's muddy and there are no pavements in parts, bit scary trying to get back out after dark.

I could have been tempted to go to  London for this but I will be out of the country for a work thing that week. I just hope one of the later dates is further north.

I also hope The Bob doesn't get set upon by wasps. Ally Pally has loads of the fuckers.

SweetPomPom

I had to sack off Jah Wobble in a very local bar that night but it'll be worth it.

The Mollusk

AP does have a wide open footpath which leads around one side of the hill, by the way, in case the only routes you've taken before are directly up the front of it. If you follow the road off the right side of the building (where the car park is) for a couple of minutes the path splits off and winds all the way down and brings you out near the new river/new residential development.

Blue Jam

Quote from: SteveDave on January 27, 2022, 08:05:26 AMApropos of Bob, we watched "Toes" from "Tim and Eric's Bedtime Stories" last night and it was the best use of 11 minutes I've seen on TV in ages.

"Guess what? You're my son now, let's go sailing"

Not the biggest T&E fan but my god Bob is creepy in that. Bit like in the "Thrilling Miracles" sketch from Mr. Show where he's basically a chirpy gaslighting domestic abuser. Has he ever played a straight-up creepy non-comedic villainous character before? I'd like to see him try that. Not a lovable rogue or a charismatic sleazebag, a properly evil character you're not supposed to root for at all. He's probably got the range for it.

Enjoy the show Steve Dave. I saw Steve Davis last time I was at Ally Pally so I guess it was fate that you'd get a ticket.

Blue Jam

buttgammon

Chuffed to hear the lads are getting back together. Whenever I see Bob or David in anything, I always think about how much I'd love them to do something with each other after Better Call Saul ends.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 01, 2022, 10:47:19 PM...meanwhile, Bob and David's top secret lockdown project revealed:

https://www.thewrap.com/bob-odenkirk-david-cross-cult-comedy-guru-nation-in-development-at-paramount/

Interesting. Didn't David do a guru character in W/ Bob and David? And wasn't there supposed to be a second season of that?

The Mollusk

They always played great feuding characters in Mr Show (always loved the two basketball scouts sketch from season 3 even if it wasn't very funny, just really well performed) so this deffo has potential to be decent.

Blue Jam

Quote from: buttgammon on February 01, 2022, 10:59:36 PMChuffed to hear the lads are getting back together. Whenever I see Bob or David in anything, I always think about how much I'd love them to do something with each other after Better Call Saul ends.

I remember an interview with David where he said that he and Bob would definitely be working together again when Bob was done with BCS*, so I guess it was always going to be a matter of when not if. I also remember Bob saying they were writing something together over lockdown and that it was very different from w/Bob and David and I took that to mean "not sketch comedy". This sounds interesting- have either of them ever done sitcom writing before?

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 01, 2022, 11:02:58 PMInteresting. Didn't David do a guru character in W/ Bob and David?

Isn't there an episode where David starts worshipping Bob? "The Bob is not a person, The Bob is pure light and energy". I thought that was where that nickname came from anyway!

I'm always intrigued by a spoof documentary, should be interesting.

*BCS is due to wrap around the 6th of February, or so it's rumoured

buttgammon

When I saw this, the first thing that came to mind was the Mr Show sketch where David Cross plays some Gandhi-type guru who's on a hunger strike and keeps talking about how hungry and is and all the stuff he wants to eat.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 02, 2022, 10:21:10 AMIsn't there an episode where David starts worshipping Bob? "The Bob is not a person, The Bob is pure light and energy". I thought that was where that nickname came from anyway!

There is, and it does, that's from Mr Show though. Wasn't there a guru type character in the Netflix show  with David shouting " digital!" a lot? That show is really due a rewatch.

Quote from: buttgammon on February 02, 2022, 10:43:49 AMWhen I saw this, the first thing that came to mind was the Mr Show sketch where David Cross plays some Gandhi-type guru who's on a hunger strike and keeps talking about how hungry and is and all the stuff he wants to eat.

The way he starts grabbing at all the food advertising appearing on the screen at the end fucking kills me.

Blue Jam

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 02, 2022, 11:15:47 AMThere is, and it does, that's from Mr Show though. Wasn't there a guru type character in the Netflix show  with David shouting " digital!" a lot? That show is really due a rewatch.

Isn't that where he's playing a Steve Jobs type with some mad dreadlocks? Taking the piss out of TED talks? Still guru-like though. I'd like to see David as a cult leader, it would be a good use of that magnificent beard he sports nowadays.

I don't remember David playing a religious hunger striker or the food advertising though, maybe I'm mixing up two separate sketches in my mind. I probably should rewatch w/.

This is probably also worth a split topic, sorry Neil.

Ron Superior

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 02, 2022, 10:21:10 AMThis sounds interesting- have either of them ever done sitcom writing before?

David I think cowrote The Increasingly Poor Decisions Of Todd Margaret, which, from memory, the first series was iffy, second series really good and Third series came much later and was also pretty iffy. He also wrote and directed Bliss which, if not strictly a sitcom, is a comedy series. I quite enjoyed that.

Cuellar

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 20, 2022, 02:41:30 PMI would hope they'd be fans of each others' work.

I think on Mince ages ago Bob would routinely say that Better Call Saul is the best telly ever made.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 02, 2022, 11:15:47 AMThere is, and it does, that's from Mr Show though. Wasn't there a guru type character in the Netflix show  with David shouting " digital!" a lot? That show is really due a rewatch.

Have fun finding that particular episode - the whole thing was taken down by Netflix during that same sensitivity sweep that pulled episodes of It's Always Sunny, 30 Rock and Community off streaming services, due to a sketch where Cross deliberately blacks up to provoke a (black) traffic cop. Could've just scissored the sketch out, but no, the whole episode had to go, even though the hour-long making-of documentary at the end of the season, which is still up there, showcases that very sketch and includes a lot of behind-the-scenes footage of it (including Cross blacking up and quipping that the show's name should be changed to "Minstrel Show with Bob & David"). No real sense or sensibility there (the "blackface" was clearly there to mock the clueless white dude doing it), and of course, unlike the other shows previously mentioned, there's no physical media release for those of us who can handle such incendiary material. Still makes me grumble (especially since that episode is probably the best of the four they produced).

And this isn't B&D's first attempt at a sitcom - they produced a pilot for a heavy-meta takeoff on the format, called David's Situation, which they decided not to follow up with a series:
https://lostmediawiki.com/David%27s_Situation_(partially_found_unreleased_sitcom_pilot;_2008)#:~:text=David's%20Situation%20was%20a%202008,a%20fictionalized%20version%20of%20himself.

(Fucked up url, but it appears to work...)

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on February 02, 2022, 08:10:45 PMHave fun finding that particular episode - the whole thing was taken down by Netflix during that same sensitivity sweep that pulled episodes of It's Always Sunny, 30 Rock and Community off streaming services, due to a sketch where Cross deliberately blacks up to provoke a (black) traffic cop. Could've just scissored the sketch out, but no, the whole episode had to go, even though the hour-long making-of documentary at the end of the season, which is still up there, showcases that very sketch and includes a lot of behind-the-scenes footage of it (including Cross blacking up and quipping that the show's name should be changed to "Minstrel Show with Bob & David"). No real sense or sensibility there (the "blackface" was clearly there to mock the clueless white dude doing it), and of course, unlike the other shows previously mentioned, there's no physical media release for those of us who can handle such incendiary material. Still makes me grumble (especially since that episode is probably the best of the four they produced).

Thankfully I downloaded them all. I remember that sketch though, with Keegan Michael Key, I thought it was one of the better sketches of the series. Was that the same episode that has Cross calling people a cunt and they appear behind him? I really do need to rewatch it, I only remember a few sketches from it, and only really 2 sketches I downright hated (the music video and the sketch with the Bob & David hunting each other), it had a good hitrate as I remember it.

Blue Jam

Just posted this in the BCS thread over in Picture Box and thought I'd share it here- lengthy and intriguing New York Times interview, mainly about BCS but it also covers the book, and he discusses his near-death experience in detail for the first time:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/09/magazine/bob-odenkirk-better-call-saul.html?smid=url-share

Potentially spoilery if you're a BCS fan, be prepared to skip over a few paragraphs.

Still no new UK dates announced then?

SweetPomPom

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 09, 2022, 04:18:40 PMStill no new UK dates announced then?
I don't think it's a spoiler but it's been confirmed by
Spoiler alert
Richard
[close]
that
Spoiler alert
he isn't
[close]
doing RHLSTP while he's over here.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 02, 2022, 11:20:32 AMIsn't that where he's playing a Steve Jobs type with some mad dreadlocks? Taking the piss out of TED talks? Still guru-like though.

That is a pisstake of a real person: "Shingy" aka David Shing, self-styled "Digital Prophet". I saw him speak at a tech conference not long before the w/Bob & David show came out and can confirm that their parody is absolutely spot-on.

https://gizmodo.com/goodnight-sweet-prince-digital-prophet-shingy-departs-1837044875

BeardFaceMan

Oh thats interesting, I never knew that was based on a real person.

Blue Jam

Me neither!

Quote from: Shingy57% of people would rather speak to someone digitally than analogue, so picking up the telephone and calling someone is cliche- in fact, if you were to call my desk phone in New York City, it forwards to a florist in London- I'm one of that 57%

Hahahaha, what a total fucking penis:

Bob and David really don't like TED talks do they? Good.

buttgammon

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on February 10, 2022, 01:02:49 PMThat is a pisstake of a real person: "Shingy" aka David Shing, self-styled "Digital Prophet". I saw him speak at a tech conference not long before the w/Bob & David show came out and can confirm that their parody is absolutely spot-on.

https://gizmodo.com/goodnight-sweet-prince-digital-prophet-shingy-departs-1837044875

Blimey! Never knew about this because I avoid all of that TED crap like the 'vid. This is the sketch at the very start of the series where Bob and David emerge from a time machine, right?

McChesney Duntz

No, it's from the start of the (now-repressed) third episode.

McChesney Duntz

Here it is, unfortunately missing Bob's introductory spiel, which is further proof that he does some of the funniest hand work in the business:
https://youtu.be/KuTSAeFhdZU