Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:45:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe 2022

Started by JCR, March 03, 2022, 02:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Enjoyed Sheeps. Was nice to be in a room with Liam Williams shouting.

Seeing Police Cops on Friday. Any recommendations for more very stupid stuff would be gratefully received, ta.

Blue Jam

What's the BBC enclosure like these days? Can you still go in and hang about and find fun stuff to watch for free? Looking for some relaxed free Fringe stuff that isn't "Free Fringe" if you know what I mean.

DrGreggles

Quote from: WestHill on August 10, 2022, 06:49:58 PMWould be interested to know what the queues are like for Nicoresti. Really want to see him but it's not bookable is it.

They give out tickets from an hour before it starts, but I think you could get there 15 minutes before and you'd be fine.
Small room, but a good one.

Really good show though.
Graham Linehan would fucking hate it.

buntyman

If Dr Brown finishes at 935 at Underbelly Cowgate, do you think it's realistic to expect to make it to Tim Key for 10pm at the Pleasance Courtyard?

Pie Pie Eater

Quote from: buntyman on August 11, 2022, 01:11:51 AMIf Dr Brown finishes at 935 at Underbelly Cowgate, do you think it's realistic to expect to make it to Tim Key for 10pm at the Pleasance Courtyard?

Yes, you might be at the back of the queue but it's a 15 min walk at the absolute most.

buntyman

Quote from: Pie Pie Eater on August 11, 2022, 03:20:26 AMYes, you might be at the back of the queue but it's a 15 min walk at the absolute most.
Thanks! Good to know

WestHill

Quote from: buntyman on August 11, 2022, 05:57:16 AMThanks! Good to know

Quote from: buntyman on August 11, 2022, 01:11:51 AMIf Dr Brown finishes at 935 at Underbelly Cowgate, do you think it's realistic to expect to make it to Tim Key for 10pm at the Pleasance Courtyard?

I'm trying this too!

JCR

Quote from: WestHill on August 11, 2022, 08:33:58 AMI'm trying this too!

It's an easy walk, turn left out of Underbelly's bottom exit, walk down the Cowgate till you come to the travellodge, take a right, the courtyard is a couple hundred metres up the hill.

I liked Laura Davies, though it was a bit more shouty and political than expected.

Enjoyed Zach Zucker, when he hits he's so funny- though I think I probably liked his Jack Tucker show more.  (Just realized I have no idea what his real name is, heh)

Glenn Wool and Arthur Smith were excellent as you might expect.

Pie Pie Eater

Quote from: edwardfog on August 10, 2022, 03:50:01 PMI agree with SMBH that Sam Nicoresti is the best of a pretty small group this year, but here's some other options that half fit the bill:

Julia Masli - Choosh
Very good clown-type show about the immigrant experience

John-Luke Roberts - A World Just Like Our Own, But...
A show comprised entirely of alternate universes. Formally minimalist/experimental but very silly

Benjamin Alborough - Absolute Monopoly
Very good show where he attempts to redesign the board game Monopoly every night with input from the audience. Think he might have finished his fringe run already but worth catching where you can

The Duncan Brothers - Jeremy Segway: A Life Out of Balance
Bipoic of the inventor of the segway, performed on segways. They said they were taking this to Edinburgh but I can't see them on the main site

Edy Hurst - EDY HURST'S COMEDY VERSION OF JEFF WAYNE'S MUSICAL VERSION OF H.G. WELL'S LITERARY VERSION (VIA ORSON WELLES' RADIO VERSION) OF 'THE WAR OF THE WORLDS'
Pretty much what it sounds like

Jim John Harkness - Ecstasy of Dread
Haven't seen this yet but it looks pretty weird. Single performance at 1.50am on Saturday morning

Thanks, that's an interesting list!

Saw Joz Norris's show last night - it was really great and could probably be considered to be in this category. Amusingly there was a father and child in the audience who called it quits after about 80% of the show and had to walk right round in front of the stage. Joz's reaction to the fact that he'd unknowingly been performing to a child who couldn't have been more than about 8 was very funny indeed.

Small Man Big Horse

Just back from a Sam Campbell preview at The Bill Murray, and he's heading up to Edinburgh tomorrow. I'm a huge fan but I'd recommend waiting a week before seeing him, the show's 85% there and some of it had me laughing incredibly hard, but about 15% of the hour was clearly new and either didn't have an ending or he'd say "There's something in that, but I'm not sure what yet". I wouldn't want this to put anyone off seeing him, Campbell at 85% is, um, I don't know, 97% better than any other comedians?, but this isn't as polished as his last the show.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 10, 2022, 08:55:27 PMWhat's the BBC enclosure like these days? Can you still go in and hang about and find fun stuff to watch for free? Looking for some relaxed free Fringe stuff that isn't "Free Fringe" if you know what I mean.
The BBC are at the St James "Quarter" this year, they have a tent up the side, rather than the usual thing they've done in past years. I saw some of the BBC Scotland Introducing music there, which was really good despite a very elderly audience for 3 young Scottish bands, but not sure about comedy. You can check online and apply for tickets, the thing I was at wasn't especially busy and certainly didn't seem to be fully booked out (unless there were a lot of no-shows).

I can echo praise of Colin Hoult, but not much else to recommend. Came across the worst audience and worst venue, which I won't name as a friend of mine was performing there. But don't bill yourself as a pub annexe if people aren't actually allowed to bring drinks from the pub: the pain of watching a beer be poured and then the bar manager tipping it down the drain before I could get my hands on it.

And some people have definitely forgotten how to watch stuff in public: I went to a small Free Fringe cabaret show with initially a small select audience of about 6; 10 minutes later 3 men turned up, sat down, and proceeded to shout very loudly in each other's ears, as though leaning over and bellowing meant you couldn't be heard. The performers tried their best to intimidate but were kindly souls. Then a group came in halfway through, sat in a booth where they couldn't see the stage, and talked for 15 minutes before leaving.

Trying to focus on cabaret, dance, theatre, music, and other ART; in comedy only got tickets for Stewart Lee atm, and lots seems more or less sold out; free fringe seems a bit light this year, but planning Andrew O'Neill, Sam Nicoresti, Paul Richards (the epitome of middle-aged bloke chatting about music), Laurie Black's sci-fi cabaret, and the eternal Attila the Stockbroker.

DrGreggles

Really enjoyed John-Luke Roberts, Sarah Keyworth, Sheeps and Colin Hoult.
Mat Ewins was fun, and some of it was fucking hilarious, but there were a few tech issues which didn't help him.

RHLSTP with Tim Key today, followed by 7 shows in 9 hours in Bristo Square.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 12, 2022, 10:32:52 AM7 shows in 9 hours in Bristo Square.

Holy smokes. I've never heard the likes. And during surely the first ever Edinburgh Fringe heatwave.

DrGreggles

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on August 12, 2022, 10:55:40 AMHoly smokes. I've never heard the likes. And during surely the first ever Edinburgh Fringe heatwave.

Some of it in the Dome - the designer of which clearly never accounted for hot weather...

Seagullsim

Just back from my week at the Fringe. I tried to mix it up between the bigger names (Ed Gamble, Lou Sanders,Tim Key, Frankie Boyle, and Nick Helm were all excellent) and some less-high profile shows. Quick reviews:

John Robins was doing a work in progress. Very funny and accomplished, even this early on. Probably needs to lose about 10 mins from his routine about
Spoiler alert
the self-help book
[close]
, as it did drag a bit.

Sofie Hagen has a show specifically about fatness this time, and as a fat bloke it really did resonate. I came out of it feeling uplifted and happy, but not sure you'd feel the same if you are straight-sized.

MC Hammersmith is superb. Absolutely excellent - the energy in the crowd was really high, and the audience interaction worked perfectly. Brilliant early option (think it was midday?)

Friz Frizzle is usually entertaining, but this year's show was low energy, and it felt like the audience were an inconvenience to him. Appreciate he's had some difficulties, but he just didn't seem interested.

Sid Singh was a chance free show, as I had a spare hour. I'd not heard of him before, but he's got a really tight hour about his time as an immigration lawyer. Well worth a visit.

Ivo Graham was a bit dull - nothing we hadn't heard from him before (literally in some cases - whole passages lifted from his interviews on various podcasts)

Sooz Kempner very funny show. Will particularly appeal to 90's gamers, but enough there for non-fans too. Only free show I saw people being turned away from - we had to get placeholders to guarantee entry.

Delightful Sausage not heard of these before, but seemed to be getting rave reviews. Loved it - reminded me of Pappys or Lucy Pearman.

Joseph Parsons unique show about being a gay football fan. Well recommended - I imagine he'll turn up on the Avalon circuit one day.

All in all, an enjoyable week. Lots of shows, great weather, and a relaxed atmosphere. Strangely, it's the first time i've not booked to see a show at the Stand. Looks like they had a cut-down programme this year.

JCR

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on August 12, 2022, 10:55:40 AMHoly smokes. I've never heard the likes. And during surely the first ever Edinburgh Fringe heatwave.

I'm getting my head shaved tomorrow so I don't have to shampoo my hair at 1.30am after Sam Campbell; Monkey Barrel 4 is very hot.

sevendaughters

solid work kitsofan.

anyone seen Joz Norris except Pie Pie Eater? seems to be getting some nice notices.

CaledonianGonzo

The fucking haar's come in.

CaledonianGonzo

Britney - Friends and Nothing More
The "Disney's 1990 animated version of Beauty and the Beast" theme continues. Ach. I wanted to like this more than I did - it's clearly been pondered over and jigsawed into life by comedy enthusiasts who know what does - or should - work.  But in the moment it felt over-laboured and over-scripted. Comedy by comedy fans. Clearly rehearsed to the razor, but with not enough room to breathe. Some great ideas and difficult to dislike, but ultimately a wee bit stilted.  Obviously one particular reviewer got the full sucker-punch from it, but in the room this evening it seemed to only really rustle up some knowing chuckles.  Even the - admittedly killer - gag in their main finale loses some steam due to being deployed out of context towards the start of the show.

Worth noting that the woman beside me was clearly finding it the funniest thing she'd ever seen, to the extent of having to apologise to me afterwards.

ALOK, who seems to be everywhere at the moment,swanned in into some reserved seats at the front shortly after showtime like fucking Princess Grace. Nice work.

DrGreggles

Crybabies was fucking great

JCR

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 12, 2022, 06:48:09 PMsolid work kitsofan.

anyone seen Joz Norris except Pie Pie Eater? seems to be getting some nice notices.

I saw Joz Norris on Sunday, clearly a well thought out, enjoyable show. I would be surprised if it got nominated for the award, but stranger things have certainly happened.

Strangely I still think the best work Norris has done was having a row over £500 with Bob Slayer on that Judge Rinder daytime tv show. Probably just me.

Crabwalk

Tom Walker had to cancel a couple of days due to illness but was back in the Unpleasance Sweatbox last night and was fantastic. Marcel Lucont (sans le wig) was near me and he seemed to love it too.

That intro video really is a cracker, his mimed story was absolutely beautiful and his solution to the Dracula problem made me laugh so much my throat is still f'd 24 hours later.

Tom gives away a hilarious little booklet at the end too, that gives a very charming/horrible insight into his psyche and show.

Show ('Javelin'): 4/5
Venue ('People Trafficking: the Immersive Experience'): 2/5

Crabwalk

I went to Police Cops: The Musical again too, as my sister is staying with us and it turns out she fucking knows one of them (the sideburns lad). Apparently he went to the same shitty upper school in the middle of nowhere as us (most notable alumnus: Perry Groves) and she's good friends with his brother (sideburns lad, not Perry Groves), who was in her year.

She'd never seen any live comedy before (same as 78% of people from Suffolk) so me and Mrs C took her to the show as we were happy enough to see it again for her sake.

Fuck me it was even better second time around (third if you count the original show). I missed half the jokes through laughing too much last  week, and could also appreciate the craft of what they're doing more this time around. Also, the songs are catchy as hell and enjoyable to relisten to.

The crowd was going absolutely bonkers for the show in a very genuine and spontaneous way. It was really joyfully raucous, ending in a big standing ovation and it feels like they could be on the cusp of properly taking off in popularity and recognition. My sister had the time of her life so there's definitely crossover appeal there.

ProvanFan

Think I already said but I had a banging time at Police Cops too.

Snort was also great. The hour flew by. Sorry for the brevity, I'm shite at reviews, but they were very impressive!

DrGreggles

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 12, 2022, 06:48:09 PManyone seen Joz Norris except Pie Pie Eater? seems to be getting some nice notices.

Saw it tonight and loved it.
Norris has that manic Rik Mayall energy about him, which works perfectly in this.

BTW, has anyone noticed that finishing late seems to be this year's theme? Barely made a show at the Balloon which started 20 minutes after one at the Greenhouse Dome should have finished. Luckily the later show was a bit late too.
They've always started late, but the shows were always 50-55 minutes so it didn't matter.
Are the performers doing a full hour now, or are they starting really late?

Pie Pie Eater

Patti Harrison finished over 80 minutes after the advertised start time and I don't think the venue was running particularly late beforehand

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: ProvanFan on August 12, 2022, 11:19:44 PMThink I already said but I had a banging time at Police Cops too.

Snort was also great. The hour flew by. Sorry for the brevity, I'm shite at reviews, but they were very impressive!

I loved both, Police Cops The Musical I saw back in December at the Dioarama with a fully built and quite complex set - is that the case with their Edinburgh show?

Also with Snort I saw them in July with Rose Matafeo, Laura Daniel, Joseph Moore, Alice Snedoon and guests Tom Walker and Steen Raskopoulos - and loved them enormously - do you remember what the line up was when you saw them?

Apologies if these are tedious questions - I'm just very drunk right now!

greencalx

I take it we are still on for a catch-up on Monday night ahead of Tim Key. Shall we firm up a rendezvous?

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Pie Pie Eater on August 13, 2022, 12:36:50 AMPatti Harrison finished over 80 minutes after the advertised start time and I don't think the venue was running particularly late beforehand

Given that this seems to be happening every night, it may even be a bit.

We're seeing the show immediately afterwards tonight and it's a 90 min show so a 20 minute delay to that won't really make my evening.

CaledonianGonzo

Spotted last night in the Pleasance Courtyard after being MIA for several years: Colin