Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,395
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:02:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe 2022

Started by JCR, March 03, 2022, 02:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crabwalk

Quote from: greencalx on August 13, 2022, 07:57:45 AMI take it we are still on for a catch-up on Monday night ahead of Tim Key. Shall we firm up a rendezvous?

Yep, sounds good. I can get to Bristo Sq for about 7

greencalx

No worries. I'll leave work promptly, get the family fed and should be out for about 7pm (depending on the bus running, which goes to pot during August). How will we recognise each other?

DrGreggles

JCR

Sadowitz canceled tonight, apparently because of people who didn't know what they were going to see last night  complaining. Fucking hell.

DrGreggles

Surely that's happened plenty at his shows.

JCR

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 13, 2022, 02:37:06 PMSurely that's happened plenty at his shows.

Probably, but it seems whatever he said about Rushdie last night was enough for the Pleasance to give me my money back for tonight.

edwardfog

The Duncan Brothers are doing their Segway show from today until the 28th at Legends 16.50. Highly recommended if you can go. Don't think you'll find it on EdFringe

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: JCR on August 13, 2022, 02:31:05 PMSadowitz canceled tonight, apparently because of people who didn't know what they were going to see last night  complaining. Fucking hell.

QuoteDid a show last night, 75 mins, thought it went well. Didn't see any walkouts. Today I'm told my show's been cancelled. Great stuff. I'm truly sorry for everyone who travelled to see the show tonight.

https://twitter.com/RealJSadowitz/status/1558457715994812418

sevendaughters

not that I agree but I am surprised this hasn't happened sooner. Sadowitz and whatever you want to call today's atmosphere was a timebomb.

sevendaughters

Linehan's grotty fans are all over the Sadowitz news on Twitter, ugh, it's like Pirates of Dark Water

somersetchris

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 13, 2022, 03:59:36 PMnot that I agree but I am surprised this hasn't happened sooner. Sadowitz and whatever you want to call today's atmosphere was a timebomb.

Of course I don't agree with Sadowitz's show being cancelled but what is far worse is thousands of people who have never seen or heard of Jerry Sadowitz decrying the wokeists all over social media. I think if they met him in real life they would find him not agreeing with them about very much.

I saw him once and his show was incredibly racist, there was no obvious irony to it and it could have easily played straight to an EDL crowd. Fortunately, the crowd was about 40 burned out hippies but honestly I barely made it through the show myself. Again, I wouldn't cancel it but I also would not recommend him to anyone.

somersetchris

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 13, 2022, 04:51:03 PMLinehan's grotty fans are all over the Sadowitz news on Twitter, ugh, it's like Pirates of Dark Water

Lots of people who have never heard of Jerry Sadowitz suddenly his biggest fan today

Crabwalk

Quote from: greencalx on August 13, 2022, 10:15:20 AMNo worries. I'll leave work promptly, get the family fed and should be out for about 7pm (depending on the bus running, which goes to pot during August). How will we recognise each other?

I've met Greggles before and will recognise him. I'll dm you to sort stuff out.

If anyone else is up for it dm me and I'll loop you in.

\admin

DrGreggles

Quote from: Crabwalk on August 13, 2022, 06:16:38 PMI've met Greggles before and will recognise him.

I'm a slightly fatter version of that.

I'll wear an easily recognisable t-shirt too.

DrGreggles

BTW, The Delightful Sausage's show is relentlessly fucking hilarious.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: JCR on August 13, 2022, 06:34:33 PMApparently it was because he got his cock out & a woman in the front row complained.

Definitely something he'd do but where'd you hear this?

MrMealDeal

From the Glinner thread and Mirror article :

One audience member said: "I was at the show. He called Rishi Sunak a 'p***'; said the economy was awful because it is run by 'blacks and women'.

"He got his penis out to a woman in the front row. The problem was not the audience - I knew he was an acquired taste. It was his indefensible content".

dissolute ocelot

My first recommendation is that if you like female-fronted musical comedy about toilet graffiti you could do a lot worse than Caitlin Cook at Underbelly Teviot.

As for people getting offended about Jerry Sadowicz. I look forward to Liz Truss defending his freedom of speech.

RicoMNKN

"If you can identify the Iine that got you cancelled then I for one am willing to nick it. And I think every other comic should too.
This is our Spartacus moment."
https://twitter.com/TheSimonEvans/status/1558488434758615040

Quite amused by the idea of any comedian doing this.  I mean, I feel you can justify most of Jerry Sadowitz' stuff in context of the show being unrelentingly horrible to everyone. 

The idea of any other comedian just slipping a single line in would make any line far, far worse.

somersetchris

Quote from: RicoMNKN on August 13, 2022, 07:19:23 PM"If you can identify the Iine that got you cancelled then I for one am willing to nick it. And I think every other comic should too.
This is our Spartacus moment."
https://twitter.com/TheSimonEvans/status/1558488434758615040

Quite amused by the idea of any comedian doing this.  I mean, I feel you can justify most of Jerry Sadowitz' stuff in context of the show being unrelentingly horrible to everyone. 

The idea of any other comedian just slipping a single line in would make any line far, far worse.

Simon Evans is going to get up on stage and call Rishi Sunak the p-word? Go on then mate. Give it a go. If you don't do it then you're all talk.

JCR

Also Arthur Smith's show has unannounced full frontal nudity in it and I notice the Pleasance didn't cancel him. (It wasn't Smith nude though)

greencalx

Quote from: Crabwalk on August 13, 2022, 06:16:38 PMI've met Greggles before and will recognise him. I'll dm you to sort stuff out.

Looking at the forecast we may be the only three people at the Bristo Sq bar which may make life easier. I'll look out for the baldists.

Rizla

Actual lol at the idea of anyone doing sadowitz bits. I suspected it'd be full on transphobia this year. Last time I saw him it was pro trump stuff that seemed to cause the most offence.

Im running the sound desk at a venue this year so I've no time to see anything sadly. One of the shows is classic old fringe, a one woman show exploring sexual abuse through song and monologue. Cuddly toys all over the stage. Very bad to have a bad uncle. DM me for free tix.

CaledonianGonzo

Got a ticket going begging for Jacqueline Novak tonight at 10pm Pleasance Courtyard if anyone is in the mix.

Gone soz

M-CORP

Flo and Joan last night were good fun, gonna see Jazz Emu in a bit. Some good free gigs at the Brewdog bar as well. First timer here loving the vibe of the place, right down to knife-juggling street performers who say - in front of a family audience - 'I used to be into sadomasochism, necrophilia and bestiality... until I realised I was flogging a dead horse! Oh, c'mon, the kids won't understand that, five-syllable words! We take everything far too seriously and don't laugh enough at life! We need to laugh more!' (Sure, necrophilia jokes are a good start after all.)

Also seeing Mischief Theatre's magic show thing on Tuesday, fan of them so really excited. As for this Sadowitz thing... mehhhh. (But surely the venue should have had a better idea of what they were getting, hasn't he got his thingy out before?)

JCR

That's what I don't get, Sadowitz has done the same show every fringe for 15+ years (probably longer) & the Pleasance didn't know what he was going to do?

I'm annoyed because I was going to see him tonight and was looking forward to it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: somersetchris on August 13, 2022, 07:28:15 PMSimon Evans is going to get up on stage and call Rishi Sunak the p-word? Go on then mate. Give it a go. If you don't do it then you're all talk.

Someone pretty much said that to him on Twitter and Al Murray replied:

QuoteTwo weeks ago Frankie Boyle had stuff quoted in this way. Neither you nor I know the joke and the line's context.

and later on:

QuoteNeither of us have seen the show.

I get where he's coming from, but I can't say it's a hill I'd choose to die on, the last time I saw Sadowitz he did material which I thought couldn't be defended anymore with the "irony" claim and for my money he crossed the line in to doing racist shock material a good couple of years ago sadly.

edwardfog

I've been here for a couple of days reviewing a random grab-bag of shows assigned by my editor, that would usually fall outside my taste bracket. I'm sure everyone has enough recs to be going on, but if not I'm here to say I've been pleasantly surprised by Dan Cook, Aurie Styla, Eric Rushton, Ruth Hunter, and Norris & Parker. Aurie Styla in particular left me with a real warm fuzzy feeling. Simple, charismatic stand-up performed by a very likeable man. The audience went absolutely mad for it

DrGreggles

Saw SNORT tonight - thanks to CaB bringing it to my attention.
Really good fun.