Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:37:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee nearly killed onstage

Started by lazyhour, March 07, 2022, 11:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Ah it's not broadcast yet? I'll keep an eye out. Thanks!

Enzo

Pat Smear in the Foo Fighters' "Everlong" music video has let himself go.

I didn't laugh, but I agreed the shit out of it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Has somebody else already said " Phil Minton's let himself go" in reference to that prolonged  Ricky Gervais bit?

Blue Jam

Quote from: curiousoranges on September 04, 2022, 11:38:39 PMI didn't laugh, but I agreed the shit out of it.

I just watched Snowflake and thought "Stewart Lee has let himself go really needs a new schtick or two"

Even if did entirely agree with the Ricky Gervais Netflix bit.

Ferris

The race to get working vpn begins...

Ray Travez

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 04, 2022, 12:41:13 PMWhen I saw Snowflake in Edinburgh recently, he spent half the show listing bits in the show that we'd have to wait and watch on the BBC because we weren't good enough. So I'm looking forward to seeing how much he actually hated us.

He negged you off good and proper!

Captain Z

Didn't seem to translate to TV as well as previous shows I thought, and possibly suffered with the order being switched. I remember Tornado felt more light-hearted and served as a good warm-up. I can only wonder if this is purely so the Boris Johnson material is still topical, if only for a few hours, upon broadcast.

"The cess" went on for absolutely ages when I saw it, and had the audience in bits. Did he say he wasn't especially happy with the recorded shows? The audience really didn't give him anything to work with at 'deliberately not funny but agreeable' punchline. The final song was cleaned up too, I believe the live version ended with the line "you stupid, Brexit-voting cunts" (you can't say anything these days).

up_the_hampipe

Yeah, I mean I thought it was his weakest show when I saw it live, but Snowflake in particular was definitely funnier than it came across here. Tornado was the lesser half for me, so I'll be interested to see why the order has been switched.

gotmilk

Was the Chappelle chicken stuff originally in this half, remember creasing at that part.

Ferris

Just finished it, felt very Stew-by-numbers. Bit of a reheated "PC gone mad" routine as well.

Some massive laughs though, so you can't complain can you? Looking forward to the next one.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: gotmilk on September 05, 2022, 01:09:48 AMWas the Chappelle chicken stuff originally in this half, remember creasing at that part.

Nope, that's Tornado.

EOLAN

Well i laughed the hell out of that i rarely do. He has a shtick but most succesful comedians do. Maybe I find a comfort in that and enjoy new adaptations.

Also agreed the hell out of it too, naturally.

derek stitt

Wonder how much fun he had practicing all those stupid noises , hope it was lots.

Alberon

Mrs Alberon wants to see this, which does surprise me a bit as she's hated him in the past. We saw him years back at a benefit gig and he did the routine where he goes on (and on) about Del Boy falling through the bar being the funniest thing ever and at one point he's laying on the stage with his back to us banging his head on the floor.

She can't stand it when he deliberately extends something so he's really not the best comedian for her, but we'll see how far into it we get before she makes me turn it off.

non capisco

Quote from: Alberon on September 05, 2022, 09:18:33 AMShe can't stand it when he deliberately extends something so he's really not the best comedian for her, but we'll see how far into it we get before she makes me turn it off.

Haha, probably less than five minutes with this one, then.

Utter Shit

Even taking into account the fact that it's Stewart Lee, AND the fact he specifically acknowledges the criticism...that Gervais bit is INSANELY long. I don't know what the correct length would be, but it's a lot less than that. The rest of the show is brilliant as always, and I kind of appreciate the sheer audacity of that bit I guess...but fucking hell lads.

the science eel

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 05, 2022, 09:58:54 AMEven taking into account the fact that it's Stewart Lee, AND the fact he specifically acknowledges the criticism...that Gervais bit is INSANELY long. I don't know what the correct length would be, but it's a lot less than that. The rest of the show is brilliant as always, and I kind of appreciate the sheer audacity of that bit I guess...but fucking hell lads.

Yeah. I hated it when I saw him earlier this year, and this time I got to hear the audience reaction....and they weren't exactly falling about.

Pimhole

I laughed uncontrollably during the first 15 minutes, and then waned a bit. I feel like the Gervais noises bit would have been much funnier in the room, rather than looking at a close-up shot of his puce swollen face which made it way too uncomfortable.

selectivememory

Ah, I thought it was great. Laughing throughout. I guess his shtick might be a bit tedious for some at this point, but I still find him as funny as ever.

selectivememory

Seriously, I love Stew to bits. No one is funnier than him to me.

Ferris

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 05, 2022, 09:58:54 AMEven taking into account the fact that it's Stewart Lee, AND the fact he specifically acknowledges the criticism...that Gervais bit is INSANELY long. I don't know what the correct length would be, but it's a lot less than that. The rest of the show is brilliant as always, and I kind of appreciate the sheer audacity of that bit I guess...but fucking hell lads.

Yeah that was my thought as well.

The first time there's a scared, powerless, glance to the audience before the inevitable trot back out to do it again - superb. If you can sneak two lectern visits (with sips of fosters) then you've got all the material in there.

He can intentionally sabotage it (and/or extend the material to get to the 1hr mark) by doing it 7 times instead of 3 or 4 but it relies on exactly the same physical meta-gags for the last few and it's diminishing returns. I watched it and similarly enjoyed the madness of it but it definitely went on too long, Stew. There we go, I have the same level of critique as mumsnet. Time to hang it up.

...then again, it does have an ideal length, doesn't it Stew? You didn't do it for 30 seconds and you didn't do it for 6 hours because either would be sub-optimal so the perfect length is somewhere in between. He basically agrees with me and mumsnet and we're just haggling on how many rounds of that routine are most effective. It's 4, for the record Stew.

Petey Pate

I know it's a bit cunty to like something because you know it will annoy and/or confuse people, but part of why the Gervais bit is funny to me is imagining someone watching it out of context and saying 'is this what so-called intelligent lefty woke comedy is?'

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

JamesTC

Joe Qunt

Cold Meat Platter

He's not fat, it's the character Stewart Lee that's fat. And depressed.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 05, 2022, 02:59:18 PMHe's not fat, it's the character Stewart Lee that's fat. And depressed.
And fat.

the science eel

Quote from: selectivememory on September 05, 2022, 02:18:12 PMSeriously, I love Stew to bits. No one is funnier than him to me.

I'd say the same thing. I guess most of us would. No? Who's a funnier stand-up?