Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:42:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee nearly killed onstage

Started by lazyhour, March 07, 2022, 11:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Proactive on March 23, 2022, 11:53:29 AMI heard a clip on YouTube from a recent performance where he complely rehashes his old "Old people conflating political correctness with health and safety legislation" bit. Bit shit, that.
That did bother me a bit when I saw him recently. That and the "saying the unsayable" routine being excessively drawn out were the only particular criticisms I had. That's not bad for a two hour show, though.

Joe Qunt

Quote from: Proactive on March 23, 2022, 11:53:29 AMI heard a clip on YouTube from a recent performance where he complely rehashes his old "Old people conflating political correctness with health and safety legislation" bit. Bit shit, that.

The only negative to the show in my opinion. Considering he writes a new hour every year, I think he's allowed to reuse the odd joke here and there.

Psybro

The new version doesn't have the bit about "can't have a cup of tea in case a Pakistani woman sees", which was my favourite part.

olliebean

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 23, 2022, 02:24:07 PMThat did bother me a bit when I saw him recently. That and the "saying the unsayable" routine being excessively drawn out were the only particular criticisms I had. That's not bad for a two hour show, though.

Was this the Tornado/Snowflake show, or the new WIP? If the latter, I guess I can see him filling in with older material until he's fleshed out the new stuff.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

This was Tornado/Snowflake.

Come to think of it I did have one other "extremely minor" gripe, which was that the LED Snowflake sign he had onstage was really distractingly bright.

chrispmartha

Went to see this last night.

I thought Stew was on top form. The Gervais bit actually had me in pain with laughing.

Is the mobile phone bit part of the show or was it real? I suppose if you don't know what I'm on about it answers my question.

DrGreggles

There's no mobile phone part of the show, but he deals with it if it crops up.

the science eel

Quote from: chrispmartha on April 01, 2022, 01:56:45 PMWent to see this last night.

I thought Stew was on top form. The Gervais bit actually had me in pain with laughing.

Is the mobile phone bit part of the show or was it real? I suppose if you don't know what I'm on about it answers my question.

at the start?

chrispmartha

Quote from: the science eel on April 01, 2022, 02:26:42 PMat the start?

Start middle and end.

He pretty much lost his rag with someone for being on their phone, it was out of nowhere and a bit shocking, wasn't sure if he was doing a bit or not!

Captain Z

Now you mention it, I think it happened when I saw it, if "it" is the same thing?

Spoiler alert
He took it off the person and placed it down the back of his pants for the rest of the show? Making sure everyone could see that's where it was going.
[close]

Didn't see what happened to it at the end though, he didn't return it during the act.

benjitz

Quote from: Captain Z on April 01, 2022, 04:18:00 PMNow you mention it, I think it happened when I saw it, if "it" is the same thing?

Spoiler alert
He took it off the person and placed it down the back of his pants for the rest of the show? Making sure everyone could see that's where it was going.
[close]

Didn't see what happened to it at the end though, he didn't return it during the act.

He talked about this at the Brighton show I saw. Said he couldn't do it anymore 'cause someone/the owner kicked up a fuss about Health and Safety or somesuch? Can't remember exactly. So instead, whenever he saw someone using one now he was just going to whinge monotonously about mobile phones until it was put away again. Something like that.

chrispmartha

He just shouted very loudly and aggressively  turn your phone off, turn it off!

It actually did disrupt the flow a bit so he said 'look what youve done now'

Was all a bit tense.

somersetchris

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 23, 2022, 02:24:07 PMThat did bother me a bit when I saw him recently. That and the "saying the unsayable" routine being excessively drawn out were the only particular criticisms I had. That's not bad for a two hour show, though.

A Stewart Lee bit being excessively drawn out, I refuse to believe it (and I do like him, but you know there is always going to be one bit in the show that goes on far too long).

somersetchris

Quote from: hamfist on March 22, 2022, 08:24:59 AMI saw him in Harrogate last Thursday and - emotional bit: I actually nearly went from laughing to crying. I was laughing more than I have laughed during at least the last five years, and very nearly burst into tears, just overwhelmed to be finally actually feeling *something*.

I'm seeing him in June, will probably be my first gig since November 2019 so this could be me. Went to see Batman last week, nearly cried at the start because I was thinking oh my god I'm in a cinema watching an actual film, I fucking love Batman. Just about held it together.

the science eel

Quote from: chrispmartha on April 01, 2022, 06:00:55 PMHe just shouted very loudly and aggressively  turn your phone off, turn it off!

It actually did disrupt the flow a bit so he said 'look what youve done now'

Was all a bit tense.

Same in Carlisle, happened at the very start, sure it was genuine even though there was a smattering of laughter. He was angry, started the whole show again. Apologised at the end.

I guess he does really hate people using phones to film even part of the show.

neveragain

I remember stories of that happening at Lee's gigs years ago so I'd guess he really does, yeah.

Twilkes

I remember Daniel Kitson passively but pointedly asking someone for about 30 seconds what the light was down on the floor near their bag, as he thought they were recording the show. Turns out the guy had LEDs on his trainers.

colacentral

While we're talking about unique crowd moments: I saw him at the Lowry a month or two ago. No one chastised for using their phone, but we did have a woman up in the top balcony completely pissed off her face who was grinding all over her boyfriend's lap during the interval to the Bob Dylan songs playing over the speakers. The interval ended with about half the theater looking up and laughing at her.

She started heckling about 10 minutes into the second half. Stew was confused at first because there was a lot of shouting back and forth of people telling her to shut up and he couldn't work out that it was originating way above him in the top balconies. At one point he stopped trying to work out what was going on and just left the crowd to argue amongst themselves, turning to everyone else and saying "I always wondered what would happen if you just left them to it."

But then the pissed woman started hanging over the balcony and asking for her money back. At that point, Stew turned serious and tried to calm her down, saying it wasn't funny anymore. Security were too scared to approach her for ages so we had a good 15 or 20 minutes of wondering if this woman was going to jump off and potentially kill herself or kill someone below her.

It was weird, sat there for ages with this pissed woman dangling off the balcony, Stew sat watching it from the stage, the occasional angry shouts of "fuck off" at her from the crowd, and no security guards in sight.

Stew kept apolpgising to the audience, saying "I'd normally banter with the hecklers but it's not funny when someone could get hurt."

I think at one point Stew offered her a free ticket for another show for when she sobered up and then added "... for Carlisle." The Carlisle bit seemed like a joke he couldn't resist cracking and there was a bit of laughter but I don't really get it. Is the joke that he's offering her a ticket to a show she probably won't bother travelling to? Carlisle isn't that far away though.

Anyway, eventually it looked like security stormed at this woman at the count of three and got her away from the balcony. I was in awe with Stew that he so easily slipped back into his routine and finished the rest of the show after such a long, odd break. A true professional.

the science eel

Quote from: colacentral on April 02, 2022, 10:09:12 AMI think at one point Stew offered her a free ticket for another show for when she sobered up and then added "... for Carlisle." The Carlisle bit seemed like a joke he couldn't resist cracking and there was a bit of laughter but I don't really get it. Is the joke that he's offering her a ticket to a show she probably won't bother travelling to? Carlisle isn't that far away though.

because Carlisle really is the back of beyond! He hadn't played there for 15 years and made repeated reference to the fact, shaking his head about 'playing to a half-empty netball court' and vowing never to return. He wasn't joking.

colacentral

Quote from: the science eel on April 02, 2022, 10:18:30 AMbecause Carlisle really is the back of beyond! He hadn't played there for 15 years and made repeated reference to the fact, shaking his head about 'playing to a half-empty netball court' and vowing never to return. He wasn't joking.

Did he say that that night or are you talking about previously? It sounds vaguely familiar now that you mention it but either I forgot or was completely zoned out.

the science eel

Quote from: colacentral on April 02, 2022, 10:23:41 AMDid he say that that night or are you talking about previously? It sounds vaguely familiar now that you mention it but either I forgot or was completely zoned out.

He said it that night. There were a couple more pointed references later in the show. The audience were laughing but I don't think he was 'doing a bit' necessarily - the mood was obviously 'why the fuck was THIS place booked?'

At the end he - in a clearly much more relaxed mood - thanked us all for coming and said something like 'you know, you're alright, you lot! but I'll never be back here'

the science eel

He popped in Tullie House the following morning and on the way back, someone spotted him from their office window and nipped out to grab this

"I loved the gallery - the Pre-Raphaelite paintings are amazing," he said.

https://www.facebook.com/weareintro/posts/2781285922165857

colacentral

Quote from: the science eel on April 02, 2022, 10:28:58 AMHe said it that night. There were a couple more pointed references later in the show. The audience were laughing but I don't think he was 'doing a bit' necessarily - the mood was obviously 'why the fuck was THIS place booked?'

At the end he - in a clearly much more relaxed mood - thanked us all for coming and said something like 'you know, you're alright, you lot! but I'll never be back here'

Oh right, a show in Carlisle! I thought you meant at the Manchester show that I was at and I'd day dreamed through half of it.

Nice photo.

Sonny_Jim

I seem to remember 'pissed lady nearly falls off balcony' happened just after he'd put Glinner in the pedal bin, which caused a few TERFs to consider booking tickets to see Stu and heckle him.  When this event got reported, they all got very pleased thinking it was a fellow TERF, only to wind it all back once they heard she was pissed up and incoherent.

the science eel

Quote from: colacentral on April 02, 2022, 10:36:32 AMOh right, a show in Carlisle! I thought you meant at the Manchester show that I was at and I'd day dreamed through half of it.

Nice photo.

Sorry - I didn't make myself clear.

Nice photo, yeah, 'cos it doesn't show his GUT

Old Thrashbarg

Saw him last night and he was on great form.

Obviously he's got pre-prepared "ad-libs" for when someone comes in late (especially on the front row), someone uses their phone, someone in his eyeline doesn't look engaged, etc., but it does feel like genuine frustration when he has to use them. And the show certainly ran about 15 minutes long, so I can easily imagine that it's not all built into the structure.

But that aside, he seemed to be having a lot of fun. There was some apparent corpsing, that didn't seem planned, and he sounded completely genuine when thanking the audience at the end.

The
Spoiler alert
Gervais
[close]
bit felt like the pinnacle of his room-dividing material. Roughly half the room where in hysterics, barely able to breathe, and the other half sat in stony silence.

king_tubby

I saw him on Wednesday and he praised us for being the audience who cheered the most at the first Gervais digs and said he was pleased to find a Leeds enclave of fellow Gervais haters.

Helvetica Scenario

Saw him in Poole a few weeks ago and he had to interrupt his flow at the end of Tornado as he was understandably extremely frustrated that the two guys sat in front of me got up early to (presumably) beat the rush to the bar. He was already
Spoiler alert
sat on the chair during the Alan Bennett segment
[close]
and was shouting desperately at them to wait just one more minute for the end. That changed to a bellowed "FUCK OFF THEN!" as they continued unperturbed.

SweetPomPom

He hasn't rewritten it that much has he? Anyway, clearly enjoying himself tonight - very leisurely pace and happy to just mess around rather than crack on.
Fuck knows what he thinks his Nick Cave impression is but he stayed with it while bollocking a random light cos he though it was a phone.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Why can't he perform if someone is filming? Always seems like an excuse to target and embarrass someone for no reason.