Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:32:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Starmer VIII: Labour will set you free

Started by pancreas, March 16, 2022, 08:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Sir Keir Starmer's twitter seems to be doing more about armed forces day than it is about trade union strikes.

Two years ago this would be remarkable for a Labour leader, but now its just totally predictable for this absolute sack of crap

pancreas

Women for Wes
    @Women4Wes
    ·
    19h
    Rosie Duffield should spend the rest of her life in a pink windowless holding facility with a drain on the floor for her to mush her shit down.

@RosieDuffield1

Long may these Women for Wes bless us with their trenchant observations.

shoulders

My brother says Keir Starmer is right as 'we' need to get elected and into power.

I didn't want an argument at the time so simply deleted his fb comment under my post but I was tempted to ask what action by Keir Starmer wouldn't be acceptable. Would flogging left wingers bare arsed in the street still be a proportionate level of political signalling?

We're on this Earth a few more decades at best, how can you get so invested in a man offering to change so little in several years time?

Fambo Number Mive

Also, if Kier Starmer does get into power I doubt he will move to the left in any way. Just as New Labour was even more right wing in power than in opposition, I can imagine Starmer's Labour being the same way.

What does Labour under Starmer offer aside from a change of faces? The man is totally unsuitable to be PM, just like Johnson.

Pink Gregory

For all of Rayner's scabby tendencies she does come from a union background, so this makes sense.

It's also very funny.

Paul Calf

Angela's after the top job. They've all scented blood now.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 21, 2022, 12:25:05 PMAlso, if Kier Starmer does get into power I doubt he will move to the left in any way. Just as New Labour was even more right wing in power than in opposition, I can imagine Starmer's Labour being the same way.

What does Labour under Starmer offer aside from a change of faces? The man is totally unsuitable to be PM, just like Johnson.

If the man's main political moves are triangulation and compromise, then in power he will do nothing.  At best it'll be 3-4 years of inadequate tweaking which the following Conservative government will reverse immediately, if they don't block it first.

shoulders

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 21, 2022, 12:30:13 PMIf the man's main political moves are triangulation and compromise, then in power he will do nothing.  At best it'll be 3-4 years of inadequate tweaking which the following Conservative government will reverse immediately, if they don't block it first.

But, but, a left winger will never get elected!.... and round and round and round we go

Paul Calf

If they win an election, he'll see it as a vindication of their strategy of doing fuck-all and bowing and scraping to his Old Etonian masters whenever possible.

Keith will be out shagging flags, bumming the St. George's Cross and 69-ing the White Ensign every day of his premiership.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 21, 2022, 12:25:05 PMAlso, if Kier Starmer does get into power I doubt he will move to the left in any way. Just as New Labour was even more right wing in power than in opposition, I can imagine Starmer's Labour being the same way.

Exactly. As New Labour did, they'll simply maintain and uphold the new status quo ushered in by the Tories, and keep it in place until the Conservative Party can regroup and come back with an even bigger wrecking ball to knock that down.

shoulders

Quote from: Quote on June 21, 2022, 12:38:06 PMExactly. As New Labour did, they'll simply maintain and uphold the new status quo ushered in by the Tories, and keep it in place until the Conservative Party can regroup and come back with an even bigger wrecking ball to knock that down.

A defensive war constantly fought on the terms of the aggressor and therefore endlessly shrinking the weaker party into nothingness, rather than Corbyn's brave approach of reshaping the narrative and reintroducing, demystifying and destigmatising popular social policies into the mainstream and even giving people a genuine second look at more unpopular ones. To the extent Starmer basically had to produce a list of Corbyn policies to guarantee his appointment.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: jobotic on June 21, 2022, 11:48:00 AMOn The Guardian live feed. Sorry can't screenshot atm

I saw that but there's no evidence she joined a picket line. Certainly no photos on her twitter feed or anything like that. Think The Guardian's got it wrong.

Sebastian Cobb

QuoteA Labour source describes Angela Rayner's tweet backing the rail strikes as "a sort of vicarious joining the picket line",

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1539190293135753216

Could well be the case that the graun have summed two lots of 2 and come up with a load of shit.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 21, 2022, 12:50:27 PMI saw that but there's no evidence she joined a picket line. Certainly no photos on her twitter feed or anything like that. Think The Guardian's got it wrong.

They're not the only one, in that case.

However, lol:

QuoteAnd veteran Labour MP Diane Abbott tweeted: "On the RMT union picket line at the Seven Sisters depot. (But don't tell Keir Starmer)."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61878745

pancreas

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 21, 2022, 01:25:19 PMhttps://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1539190293135753216

Could well be the case that the graun have summed two lots of 2 and come up with a load of shit.

Cunt doesn't know what 'vicarious' means. Perhaps 'ersatz'?

Paul Calf

Quote from: pancreas on June 21, 2022, 03:01:23 PMCunt doesn't know what 'vicarious' means. Perhaps 'ersatz'?

Oh, it makes sense now. I mentally skipped over it earlier because I couldn't make out the intent.

greencalx

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/21/labour-frontbenchers-likely-to-be-disciplined-for-joining-rail-pickets

Seriously. And the article suggests that the public might be slightly more supportive of the strikes than they are of the Labour party.

Own goal.

shoulders

jobotic

The first person to reply seems a little..um

idunnosomename

you mean britishalba? thats a weird account likely staffed on a rota by a tufton street think tank as it just posts ultra-unionist fascist takes pretty much constantly in our daytime

jobotic

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: greencalx on June 21, 2022, 09:07:30 PMhttps://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/21/labour-frontbenchers-likely-to-be-disciplined-for-joining-rail-pickets

Seriously. And the article suggests that the public might be slightly more supportive of the strikes than they are of the Labour party.

Own goal.
I think there's quite a lot of evidence over the years that the public are surprisingly sympathetic with strikers, a lot more sympathetic than the Labour Party thinks. Starmer is once again being the worst politician in the world, but at least he's distancing himself from the Labour Party which is the main thing.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 21, 2022, 11:28:48 PMI think there's quite a lot of evidence over the years that the public are surprisingly sympathetic with strikers, a lot more sympathetic than the Labour Party thinks.

Labour voters, anyway:

QuoteA YouGov poll carried out this week showed 45% of the public were against the RMT strike, with 37% in favour. But among Labour voters, 65% were in favour, and 18% opposed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/21/keir-starmers-stance-on-rail-strikes-raises-questions-over-strategy

Ferris

I'm reminded of consulting work for various firms with the question "how can we be more dynamic and take risks?" where the answer given to people in charge is considered too dynamic and risky so the firm sensibly goes with 'no change' and everyone is happy (though we're all still unable to explain the staff turnover and low morale. It's a mystery!!)

greencalx

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 21, 2022, 11:56:58 PMLabour voters, anyway:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/21/keir-starmers-stance-on-rail-strikes-raises-questions-over-strategy

Although as always, other polls are available.

Quote from: https://comresglobal.com/polls/transport-poll-21-june/Majority (58%) say that the rail strikes this week are justified; a third (34%) say they are not.

Two thirds (66%) say the government have not done enough to prevent the strikes from happening; half (49%) say the same about the RMT

Seven in ten (70%) say that this strike going ahead makes further strikes more likely.

I don't think there's a clear sentiment among the general public, but the government seems to be banking on everyone believing the unions are ruining the country and Labour's reaction seems to be "you're right, they are".

phantom_power

Mick Lynch doing the rounds on TV to show that if you have integrity, knowledge and calm conviction you can win over more people than mealy-mouthed insincerity and hand-waving obfuscation

Buelligan

What the Labour Party and the world needs now...

Dr Rock

The Tory/right wing bias of YouGov again.