Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:41:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

June Down.

Started by Paul Calf, April 04, 2022, 01:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiftwork2

Lovely story there about her gassing animals.

Gradual Decline

Down with the Brown.

rip.

non capisco

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 04, 2022, 06:35:04 PMI bet she got off watching Watership Down.

Watership Brown.

selectivememory

https://mobile.twitter.com/tezilyas/status/1511040405940416514

Reads very different when she says it in her own words. No idea why the Times did her dirty like that lmao.

non capisco

No, there was NOTHING SHE LIKED BETTER than gassing rabbits.

Is Russell Brand finally going to cop to nicking all her mannerisms?

imitationleather

Quote from: non capisco on April 04, 2022, 07:34:41 PMNo, there was NOTHING SHE LIKED BETTER than gassing rabbits.

It's there in black and white in a newspaper of record, no less!

shiftwork2

It'll all come out when she dies.

Blumf

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 04, 2022, 06:24:23 PMSome heartwarming childhood anectdotes mentioned in the Times' obit... er, wtf?

Paywalled but genuinely in the article:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/june-brown-actress-who-played-dot-cotton-in-eastenders-dies-aged-95-8j8cnlf37

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3963095/bio
QuoteJohn Garley
Spouse    June Brown (24 February 1950 - 8 May 1957)  (his death)
Died    May 8, 1957 in Hammersmith, London, England, UK  (died in hospital after intentionally inhaling gas - verdict of suicide recorded)

Hummm....

shiftwork2

imitationleather

I've just been carrying out a bit of impromptu research on this sordid episode by consulting Before the Year Dot (Simon & Schuster, 2013) - the definitive autobiography - it would seem that the rabbit was gassed by one Ms. George, a biology teacher, when Ms. Brown stayed behind after school for extra dissection classes.

EDIT: selectivememory got there first with the screenshot.

She also states that she got the part in EastEnders when Leslie Grantham, who had seen her in Minder, recommended her.

So there you have it - EastEnders is a soap empire built on the murder of rabbits and taxi drivers.

Flatulent Fox

Quote from: jobotic on April 04, 2022, 01:40:54 PM95! And they say smoking is bad for you! Knew I shouldn't have given up
It's never too late to change.

non capisco

Queen and Babs absolutely cracking up at June's dewy eyed reminiscences of rabbit gassing, look. "Hahaha, yes, June! Fuck 'em!"

imitationleather

Now she so obviously murdered her husband I'd like Barry Admin to please delete my earlier post where I said it was sad that she died. Can't be tainted by the association of accidentally mourning a murderer. Not again. Ta.

imitationleather

Lifelong Tory

Rabbit gasser

Husband murderer

What's going to come out next?!?

I'm betting it'll turn out she took a sabbatical from EastEnders in the early '90s to volunteer for the Serb death squads.

Dot Knockin (on heaven's door)

Brian Freeze

Quote from: imitationleather on April 04, 2022, 07:46:13 PMLifelong Tory

Rabbit gasser

Husband murderer

What's going to come out next?!?

I'm betting it'll turn out she took a sabbatical from EastEnders in the early '90s to volunteer for the Serb death squads.

Waster of perfectly good soup.

imitationleather

Apparently cause of death was killed in battle while fighting for the Russians in Ukraine.

Blue Jam

Quote from: imitationleather on April 04, 2022, 07:53:57 PMApparently cause of death was killed in battle while fighting for the Russians in Ukraine.

"If I can shoot rabbits I can shoot Fascists"

Blue Jam

Quote from: Brian Freeze on April 04, 2022, 07:50:21 PMWaster of perfectly good soup.

"If I can waste rabbits I can waste soup"

Mr Banlon

She was the 'Pull the ladder up I'm alright class-traitor' of hearts

PlanktonSideburns

The Harry Dean Stanton of rabbit gassing

🐇 ⛽️ 💨 💀

PlanktonSideburns

idunnosomename

thats the most fucking bizarre thing in an obituary ive ever seen. the times really has gone utterly fucking bonkers. they'll be running bits about sugar sandwiches and when the dustmen used to lift up bins next

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I get the feeling that whoever wrote it is a bit of an animal lover, and they probably got bollocked for it. I'm not sure if it's exactly litigious, but it's definitely character defamation. If I was a member of the family I'd be quite upset that they'd made Granny Brown sound like a raging oddball.

shiftwork2

What a way to go.  "Rabbits...faasands of 'em"

Blue Jam

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 04, 2022, 10:00:28 PMI get the feeling that whoever wrote it is a bit of an animal lover, and they probably got bollocked for it. I'm not sure if it's exactly litigious, but it's definitely character defamation. If I was a member of the family I'd be quite upset that they'd made Granny Brown sound like a raging oddball.

In the Independent article she mentions wanting to be a doctor, and I'd bet most readers have dissected something at school- maybe not a rabbit, but it isn't that unusual to have dissected a fish, a cow's eye etc. It does have the feel of a Daily Mail hatchet job and it's in pretty poor taste. Could have been an animal lover, unless June Brown really did something to upset Rupert Murdoch.

Kankurette

It's more the fact she gassed the bunnies that grosses me out. Usually at school, they give you a pre-killed animal (we did hearts and eyes).

imitationleather

Isn't the whole job description of being an obituary writer glossing over how the person in question was a massive cunt that no one liked?

Must have got the fucking work experience kid to write it.