Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:15:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Moonfall

Started by Famous Mortimer, April 10, 2022, 02:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Not surprising this doesn't have a thread, as apparently it's a Heaven's Gate-sized box office disaster. But, I just watched it, and I'm sure a few of you have as well.

The way to describe it that popped into my head is it feels a lot like if you gave Neil Breen $200 million. It's so bad that it's laughable, maybe the worst big-budget multiplex movie I've seen ever.

It's not just a Roland Emmerich thing - I've enjoyed some things I've seen of his. But this turns Oscar winner Halle Berry into a dull nothing of a presence, and has an ending I'd think would be pathetic if you put in a SyFy Channel original. I'm amazed at it.

What say you?

ProvanFan

I was all set to watch it for a laugh when the try-hard trailer put me off. But now I'm intrigued again.

JamesTC

The moon sneaks up on some people.

beanheadmcginty

Normally happy to embrace Hollywood-style physics, but this one seemed to be deliberately trying to troll anyone who had any physical experience of living on Earth. They launch a space shuttle through the crest of a tidal wave.

QDRPHNC

Sounds stupid, I'm waiting for the RLM video (which is coming soon, for those who don't follow the RLM thread).

Head Gardener

I saw this the week it came out with my teenage lad and we were looking forward to it after seeing the nutzoid trailer, but oh boy it was bad, not even good bad just a waste of time bad. Shame on Mark Kermode for saying good things about it on Fivelive, he's lost the (film) plot coz it was just shit, like actual shit.

Mister Six

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 10, 2022, 03:00:52 PMSounds stupid, I'm waiting for the RLM video (which is coming soon, for those who don't follow the RLM thread).

Good news!

Mister Six

I don't really like disaster films so had zero interest in this, but I was pleased to see Sam from Game of Thrones getting to star in a film, so I'm sad for him that it's bombed.

I also think that the idea of the moon being
Spoiler alert
some AI controlled spaceship that's going to crash into Earth
[close]
is really fun, and would quite like more goofy ideas like that in my mainstream movies, rather than everyone pretending a man dressing up like a bat is Serious Business. But then, I liked the idea (if not the execution) of the Doctor Who episode in which the moon was
Spoiler alert
the egg of a giant space moth.
[close]

dead-ced-dead

From what I understand this was an independent movie, which managed to raise $140m independently. This explains a lot.

I'm watching it now and something feels off about it. Like it's not a real blockbuster, despite the visual effects looking decent enough.

Like casting Patrick Wilson in a role that should so obviously be George Clooney or someone equally A-list and hunky. Wilson's a decent actor but he looks out of place, making it look like a pretend or parody blockbuster.

I'm not sure if I'm making sense, but it's always a sign that a wannabe blockbuster isn't essential; despite the money on screen. I had the same issue with Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

It's most comparable cousin was The Fifth Element, but one starred mid-90s Bruce Willis and Mila Jovivich and the other starter Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne. Which one feels like the real blockbuster?

DJ Bob Hoskins

This was easily one of the most laughably awful movies I've seen in a long time. I can't adequately describe just how many elements it gets wrong and why (not least because I've largely wiped it from my memory already), but just as an example, the following is an actual line of dialogue spoken by Oscar winner Halle Berry:

Spoiler alert
"I hope the moon holds together. At least for a little while, anyway"
[close]

SteveDave

I watched this on Saturday and I was shocked at how shit it was. I wasn't expecting much but I genuinely thought it was someone attempting to do a Roland Emmerich film. When I looked it up and found it actually WAS by him it made it all the more hilarious.

Patrick Wilson looks like Chris Pratt drawn from memory and, when Halle Berry first appeared on screen, I said "That woman looks like Halle Berry crossed with Sally Field" not realising that it was actually Halle Berry. The English Kevin Smith lookalike just deflated every scene he was in and I screamed my head off when he got the Danny Aiello in "Hudson Hawk" ending.

"Can you fockin' believe it? Sprinklers!"