Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:16:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan Partridge: Stratagem

Started by Magnum Valentino, April 23, 2022, 12:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SweetPomPom

We were row H on the floor, dead centre and the crowd was pretty dead around us. Quite a bit of muttering during the interval though.
It was better than his last tour which was really under-rehearsed when we saw it

edwardfog

Show seems like it would work okay in a mid-sized theatre but was getting nothing in the upper levels of the dome. I'm never going to see comedy at the O2 again; absolutely nightmarish experience

notjosh

Did you lot all manage to get in for the start? We turned up at the gates around 20 minutes before start time, and didn't get in for 40 minutes, by which time we'd missed the first 5.

Anyway, I'd echo the prevailing opinion that I laughed loads, but the second half is a bit weaker and ends abruptly and slightly nonsensically. I'm not sure if the number of different setpieces in it was an attempt to keep it broad and crowdpleasing, or just a lack of confidence in the ability of solo Partridge to hold a big crowd. It would have been a bit more fun as a smaller-scale show in a more intimate venue, but then he wouldn't be creaming it in would he?

AngryGazelle

Quote from: notjosh on June 01, 2022, 07:22:51 AMDid you lot all manage to get in for the start? We turned up at the gates around 20 minutes before start time, and didn't get in for 40 minutes, by which time we'd missed the first 5.

Yeah, I was in there quite early actually; even had time to buy a t shirt before it started. Most people seemed to pile in about 10 minutes before it was due to start, and it started a bit late too.

I had a bit of a buzz after the show. So great to see Alan live.

I agree that the second half was weaker, the opening to it was brilliant but it ended so abruptly, and the execution was a lite ham-fisted.

Still, I'd give the show itself a strong 7 or 8 out out 10. 10 on 10 for my enjoyment level - point added for Partridge buzz.

I also was sat right near the Gibbons and Lynn herself which was cool

The Ombudsman

Seeing it tonight. Been told to get there an hour ahead of time for security checks.

amateur

It's all moving a lot slower at the Dome as there's very few paper tickets - most are on an app and the time taken to get your phone out, load the app (which needs signal!) and show to the security all adds up, particularly when people are used to rolling up late.

Echo the thoughts from many in the thread having seen it last night - Partridge being Partridge was brilliant, the songs weren't huge fun and felt like filler, but overall a very fun night and I'm glad I went.

Lost Oliver

notjosh

Quote from: amateur on June 01, 2022, 08:35:28 AMIt's all moving a lot slower at the Dome as there's very few paper tickets - most are on an app and the time taken to get your phone out, load the app (which needs signal!) and show to the security all adds up, particularly when people are used to rolling up late.

I don't have a smartphone which meant I got to pick up a nice simple paper ticket when I got to the venue, and now have a lovely souvenir.

One last bit of boring logistics chat: the O2 now has a "no bags bigger than A4 rule" so either avoid bringing a bag, or factor in some extra time to take it to the bag drop-off first.

Think Partridge is one of the very few people who would ever tempt me into that soulless corporate hellscape.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: notjosh on June 01, 2022, 09:50:24 AMI don't have a smartphone which meant I got to pick up a nice simple paper ticket when I got to the venue, and now have a lovely souvenir.

One last bit of boring logistics chat: the O2 now has a "no bags bigger than A4 rule" so either avoid bringing a bag, or factor in some extra time to take it to the bag drop-off first.

Think Partridge is one of the very few people who would ever tempt me into that soulless corporate hellscape.

Getting the e-Tickets thing was a right pain in the arse. In the end I had to talk to their support people to work something out. Seems they thought me buying the tickets from the same IP as the one I was using to log in to get the tickets was suspicious. Would have preferred paper ones too for the memories.

Anyway, guess I'll be getting there at least an hour early. No bags, just a wallet and phone.

Did you get public transport there notjosh or park? I nearly cried when I saw how much parking was.

notjosh

Quote from: The Ombudsman on June 01, 2022, 10:58:37 AMDid you get public transport there notjosh or park? I nearly cried when I saw how much parking was.

I just get the train. You might be able to get cheaper parking at the Millennium Village and get a 10-minute bus from there.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: notjosh on June 01, 2022, 11:01:14 AMI just get the train. You might be able to get cheaper parking at the Millennium Village and get a 10-minute bus from there.

May do next time, I coughed up for the venue parking. Feel like I'll stay there 'till 1AM just to get my monies worth. Looking forward to tonight! Anyone else going?

AngryGazelle

Am I the only one who enjoyed the songs?

They weren't particularly brilliant or anything but they were catchy enough, and it was just a treat to hear Partridge sing live.

notjosh

Quote from: AngryGazelle on June 01, 2022, 11:18:47 AMAm I the only one who enjoyed the songs?

They weren't particularly brilliant or anything but they were catchy enough, and it was just a treat to hear Partridge sing live.

The laughter song is properly catchy.

Malcy

Quote from: AngryGazelle on June 01, 2022, 11:18:47 AMAm I the only one who enjoyed the songs?

Very much enjoyed them. Love a Partridge song and like Notjosh says the laughter song was really catchy. I hope it gets a release as I'd love to see it all again.

Little bits still pop in to my head and really cheer me up.

Quote from: AngryGazelle on June 01, 2022, 08:17:31 AMeven had time to buy a t shirt

Was there merch? I only saw the programme at what I thought was a merch stand but was a makeshift bar and thought that was all there was.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Malcy on June 01, 2022, 07:20:44 PMWas there merch? I only saw the programme at what I thought was a merch stand but was a makeshift bar and thought that was all there was.

Yes, mugs, tea towels, key rings and t shirts. The t shirt I got is pretty cool; 20 bloody quid, though.

markburgle

Quote from: edwardfog on May 31, 2022, 11:32:44 PMShow seems like it would work okay in a mid-sized theatre but was getting nothing in the upper levels of the dome. I'm never going to see comedy at the O2 again; absolutely nightmarish experience

Yeah I can't imagine seeing anything there again, such a shithole. Really felt punished for only being able to afford a cheaper seat. Other venues make sure the sound and visibility are good for everyone but the screens there are a joke, there's lighting rigs blocking your line of sight and the sound is shit. Rip off cunts

Malcy

Quote from: AngryGazelle on June 01, 2022, 09:53:45 PMYes, mugs, tea towels, key rings and t shirts. The t shirt I got is pretty cool; 20 bloody quid, though.

Hopefully find some online after the tour. Didn't see anything.

SweetPomPom

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/reviews/alan-partridge-review-stratagem-o2-arena-b2091801.html

"Excruciating"

Pretty fair review, sadly.

The more I think about it, the more I think live AP would work much better as a comedy play rather than a show.

Twonty Gostelow

Hasn't the stage always been the least convincing environment for Partridge though? I still watch the live laser discs DVDs of the old shows, and though they're full of brilliant bits you're always half-thinking that it's Steve Coogan performing as AP in a way that you don't with the audio and TV incarnations, and there are sometimes bits where the timing is slightly off or Coogan seems not 100% in the zone.
Probably stating the obvious, but if Coogan hadn't been a live impressionist then character comedian in the first place, we probably wouldn't be seeing Partridge as a touring stage act at all.

Consignia

I saw it in Manchester a few weeks ago, and I think that Coogan played Partridge as well as the conceit allowed. It felt all very seemless to me, and even kept the character going in front of the "Dan, Dan, Dan" audience. Maybe the touring and the illness has knocked him a bit in the latter parts of the tour.

It absolutely shouldn't have been an arena show though; that certainly clear. If it weren't for the big screens, it could have been anyone on stage, which is especially annoying considering Partridge's face expressions do a lot for the humour.

lipsink

The highlight for me was
Spoiler alert
Partridge's face in the background as the female co-host walked past him while she was giving the lecture. It happened twice and his expression was just gold.
[close]
It was the kinda thing you only noticed if you were looking at the screens but it got a huge laugh both times from the Glasgow audience.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: markburgle on June 01, 2022, 10:35:02 PMYeah I can't imagine seeing anything there again, such a shithole. Really felt punished for only being able to afford a cheaper seat. Other venues make sure the sound and visibility are good for everyone but the screens there are a joke, there's lighting rigs blocking your line of sight and the sound is shit. Rip off cunts

I've seen Eddy Izzard at the O2 a long time ago and that experience was OK, however last night was a nightmare. To get to our 'check-in' spot was a massive walk around to the back. We got there and were told to go up the two escalators to reach our seating bit. The second escalator and stairs were roped off, so I found sometime to ask and they said due to it not selling out, people up on those seats were being re-seated. So we had to go all the way around again to customer services where no joke, they were writing peoples details down on a pad. After 20 mins of queueing we got assigned new seats (person in front was in a wheelchair and upon receiving his new seat asked if it was wheelchair assessable and was met with "No, let me see what we can do"). Our seats in the end were probably some of the worst, to the point where had I seen those left when booking would have probably not bothered. Stage was to our absolute right but we were sitting forward, resulting in me feeling a bit sick shortly after it started.

Any way, really enjoyed the show. Not what I was expecting but can't think of any bits I didn't like or wished would hurry up. I'll never, ever be going to anything at the O2 again though after that. Utter fucking nightmare.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on June 02, 2022, 09:52:40 AMHasn't the stage always been the least convincing environment for Partridge though? I still watch the live laser discs DVDs of the old shows, and though they're full of brilliant bits you're always half-thinking that it's Steve Coogan performing as AP in a way that you don't with the audio and TV incarnations, and there are sometimes bits where the timing is slightly off or Coogan seems not 100% in the zone.

I'd agree with that although I think it was written more tightly this time around which improved Coogan's performance. It's a shame that some of Partridge's subtleties will be missed but that's just the nature of the stage. His facial expressions were brilliant which you could pick up on in a smaller venue (in Hull at least) but in the O2 that's definitely going to be missed by a lot.

Malcy

I can't see the appeal of a massive venue for something like this. Or anything really. Music it's different if you can get near the front.

Unfortunately it's often the only choice I suppose.

I paid a fair bit to go through to Edinburgh for the smaller venue and chickened out of an available front seat due to the fear of being pulled up on stage or something. He put the person in the seat I was going to go for up in the big screen so I'm glad I did but also sorry I didn't if that makes sense.

Menu

Quote from: notjosh on June 01, 2022, 09:50:24 AMOne last bit of boring logistics chat: the O2 now has a "no bags bigger than A4 rule" so either avoid bringing a bag, or factor in some extra time to take it to the bag drop-off first.

God yeah! I nearly got done for this at the O2 last week. I kicked off a little bit - in a very English polite (slightly moany) way - and one of the other security people took pity on me when the guy was looking in the other direction! Ha! But the bloke behind me did get sent out even though his bag looked smaller than mine. By the end of all this nonsense there was a massive queue. What's this all about?

Just to clarify: I have a very normal-sized bag. If I was on the verge of being kicked out, so will most people.

Menu

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on June 02, 2022, 09:52:40 AMHasn't the stage always been the least convincing environment for Partridge though? I still watch the live laser discs DVDs of the old shows, and though they're full of brilliant bits you're always half-thinking that it's Steve Coogan performing as AP in a way that you don't with the audio and TV incarnations, and there are sometimes bits where the timing is slightly off or Coogan seems not 100% in the zone.
Probably stating the obvious, but if Coogan hadn't been a live impressionist then character comedian in the first place, we probably wouldn't be seeing Partridge as a touring stage act at all.

Was it the 2008 tour where he hadn't even learnt his lines?

Menu

Quote from: AngryGazelle on June 01, 2022, 08:17:31 AMI also was sat right near the Gibbons and Lynn herself which was cool

How did the gibbons react during it? I assume they're credited as writers?

SweetPomPom

Quote from: Menu on June 02, 2022, 09:57:57 PMWas it the 2008 tour where he hadn't even learnt his lines?

Yep.
From memory, they dropped whole sections to shorten the show during the early dates.

Menu

Quote from: SweetPomPom on June 02, 2022, 10:11:17 PMYep.
From memory, they dropped whole sections to shorten the show during the early dates.

How does it come to that? Amazing.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: AngryGazelle on June 01, 2022, 08:17:31 AMI also was sat right near the Gibbons and Lynn herself which was cool

Quote from: Menu on June 02, 2022, 09:58:49 PMHow did the gibbons react during it? I assume they ae credited as writers?

GIBBONSES!  Gibbonses. Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses Gibbonses.  Their names are Rob Gibbons and Neil Gibbons.