Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:30:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Twitter to accept Elon Musk's offer

Started by Martin Van Buren Stan, April 25, 2022, 01:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 25, 2022, 03:47:46 PMDon't most people use it to tell famous people to fuck off?

I saw someone reason recently that rather than banning anonymity on the platform they should enforce it - as in force blue-ticks to not use their real names, removing the self-promotion and bringing them down with the little people.

A lot of the friction and behaviours of celebrities are them not being used to having an immediate return-path of their thoughts/articles/etc.

Twonty Gostelow

Really worried that he's going to delete all of my puns now.

Sebastian Cobb

Glenn Greenwald is pulling himself around the room about this, his mistake mostly seems to be taking the free-speech commitments of a guy who makes people sign NDA's to get warranty repairs at face value.

Sherman Krank

I hope Musk gets rid of that 'Sign in or create an account to see more' shit that pops up now when you start to scroll down. If he does I might go back to occasionally reading stuff on it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Sherman Krank on April 25, 2022, 04:22:06 PMI hope Musk gets rid of that 'Sign in or create an account to see more' shit that pops up now when you start to scroll down. If he does I might go back to occasionally reading stuff on it.

Every social media outlet seems to be on this at the moment. I reckon they'll lower the walls again eventually; they only encourage people to sign up if they have a sense they're missing something.

katzenjammer

Quote from: Sherman Krank on April 25, 2022, 04:22:06 PMI hope Musk gets rid of that 'Sign in or create an account to see more' shit that pops up now when you start to scroll down. If he does I might go back to occasionally reading stuff on it.

I do and I don't. It works great at stopping me getting sucked into Twitter scrollathons

imitationleather

I'll need to consult David Baddiel and Emma Kennedy before I give my opinion on this matter.

Butchers Blind

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 25, 2022, 01:49:51 PMone more can't hurt

surely he risks regulation if he overeggs the pudding too much?  He's a scammer but he's also not an idiot when it comes to what he actually makes money from.

My hope is that he is cynical.

Isn't he tho?

Thursday

I'm not suggesting he wouldn't be above petty hypocrisy, but the suggestion that he'll allow hate groups to flourish in the name of free speech absolutism, doesn't quite sit with the idea that he'd also censor anyone criticizing him or posting that picture of Ghisliane Maxwell, so which is it?

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 25, 2022, 04:24:10 PMEvery social media outlet seems to be on this at the moment. I reckon they'll lower the walls again eventually; they only encourage people to sign up if they have a sense they're missing something.
it's to be able to boast about increased users to cover up other shortfalls, isn't it?

I saw Quora's emails to me have switched from pushing bizarrely specific LOTR questions to weirdly clickbaity sexualised ones with zero input from my end in years. Had a google and sure enough they were gearing up for an IPO.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on April 25, 2022, 04:46:00 PMIsn't he tho?

I mean, yeah, in all other aspects of his life, but he knows not to step on the money hose.

idunnosomename

HOPE HE POSTS AN DANK MEME

BADBOY EPIC BACON TIME BAYBEEE!!!

Famous Mortimer

RIP HARAMBE, SIPPIN ON SOME BOMBAY to play every time you open Twitter

Sherman Krank

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 25, 2022, 04:44:38 PMHope he uses it to kill people.
Or at the very least changes Bezos' user name to 'Peedo Guy'.

Kankurette

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on April 25, 2022, 05:02:26 PMit's to be able to boast about increased users to cover up other shortfalls, isn't it?

I saw Quora's emails to me have switched from pushing bizarrely specific LOTR questions to weirdly clickbaity sexualised ones with zero input from my end in years. Had a google and sure enough they were gearing up for an IPO.

I keep getting emails about Russia and nukes.

Suttonpubcrawl

Dreaming of the thread "Twitter shut down, owner arrested"

Fambo Number Mive

I'm sure if anyone can make Twitter even worse Musk can.

dissolute ocelot

He will make every tweet be ALL CAPS.

Pinball

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on April 25, 2022, 01:46:09 PMIt's hard to overstate how important twitter is to today's world. This could be an absolutely seismic decision, even if his only action is unbanning Trump.  Or maybe nothing at all will be different.

https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/twitter-elon-musk-buy-company-b2064819.html?utm_content=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Main&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1650888159
Trump doesn't want to be unbanned though, as he's setting up his fascist twitter. Maybe Musk wants to benefit from The Banned? Because Twitter isn't hateful enough.

Zero Gravitas

Better delete those bots fast before due diligence finds them and reveals pro-rata that at price it's worth $230,000 plus logo rights!

Fambo Number Mive

Novara Media's take on Musk buying Twitter:

idunnosomename

ITS PICKLE TWITTER DAY!!! EVERYONES TURNED INTO A PICKLE MORTY! WUB A LUB LUB LUB

EOLAN

My top recommended tweet is poot Mark Hamill getting upset about losing a couple of thousand of twitter followers from his account.

Kankurette

Awful lot of far right types getting excited about Tommy Robinson et al being allowed back on Twitter. (As an aside, praising Donald Trump while having a fucking Ukraine flag in your bio is...certainly a take.)

lipsink

Tommy Robinson was back on Twitter with big smiles showing off his new teeth. He seems to have had his account taken down now though. Doh!

Butchers Blind

Maybe adding someone's GPS location when they tweet might help.

Pinball

I was watching some youtube videos about 'swatting' of Twitch streamers. Obviously it would be awful if this were to happen to certain Twatters...

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

"I'm going to take this dirty, poorly maintained toilet block and turn it into a cesspit."

superthunderstingcar

All tweets to be forced to end with "YOU ARE A PEDO"