Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:10:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Twitter to accept Elon Musk's offer

Started by Martin Van Buren Stan, April 25, 2022, 01:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

Enjoying wealthy liberals having their favourite toy-slash-wendy house spoiled by a piece of shit who's likely going to lose a lot of money in the process.

Oh no, my poorly maintained consensus. I thought privatising the public sphere would be inclusive this time. Maybe if I typed "freeze peach"?

Zero Gravitas

I'm hoping he's going to restore twitter to the glory days of it being an SMS-first platform, the web was a mistake.

Pinball

I hope he moves Twitter to a subscription model and that it quickly dies.

Cuellar

Video Game Fan 2000

Fambo Number Mive

Wonder how many people will leave Twitter over this. Jameela Jamil says she will.

I reckon this will mean even more of Twitter will be on the right.

touchingcloth

Aren't blue ticks a way of verifying that the person behind the account is real? Why do people always talk about them as if they're awful or at the very least worthy of suspicion?

Cuellar

People who are obsessed with twitter (i.e. all journalists) think they make you important.

So Musk could easily claw back the $44b by charging for one.

idunnosomename

Because they are only given to people twitter deem significant of verifying, and in desciding this significance they prioritise appearance in news media more than anything else. So even the most minor journalists basically automatically get one

pigamus

I would be more upset about it if I were somehow under the impression that it had previously been owned by Father Christmas

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on April 26, 2022, 02:33:38 PMI'm hoping he's going to restore twitter to the glory days of it being an SMS-first platform, the web was a mistake.

Huge investment in Tweetdeck promised

beanheadmcginty

I think this is worth it for the amount of bedshitting it is causing over at The Guardian. I counted 7 different articles moaning about it on the front page of the website earlier.

steveh

The shareholders still have to accept the offer and Musk still has to deliver the money. It's been reported that he will take out $25bn in debt with Tesla shares as collateral, the yearly interest repayments for which are more than Twitter made last year before tax. If Tesla falters then he's screwed. I don't see how he can make this work financially.

Psybro

This is the same guy who promised to build a revolutionary transit system which turned out to be taxis, driven by a person, going through a tunnel too narrow to have emergency egress.

QDRPHNC

Can I just shock you? I don't think it's going to change at all. I think Musk enjoys the process and the drama around buying it and couldn't give a shit about it day-to-day.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 26, 2022, 03:56:35 PMI think this is worth it for the amount of bedshitting it is causing over at The Guardian. I counted 7 different articles moaning about it on the front page of the website earlier.

The thing is the blend of neoliberalism in the guardian would probably be fine with having a space like twitter controlled by the likes of Microsoft or Google, they'd be alright with that and the heads of the companies being on advisory panels to neolib governments whose advice is basically "give us more power and less regulation", their main problem (much like westminster politics) is the personality in charge is that of a clown.

Video Game Fan 2000

100%. The people having a shitfit about this are people who are OK with private hands and enterprise controlling all communication, information, culture, etc. they just want the representatives of those interests to be nice people with good liberal values. Anticapitalism but only against a few greedy villains not against inequality in any meaningful sense. Markets work fine when I can't see them.

QDRPHNC

Come on Ben, draw the rest of the cage. No, he can't be bothered.

idunnosomename

Tags: furry, implied vore, macro, cages that dont make any fucking sense

JamesTC

Is Twitter the bird or the cage?

EDIT: as hinted at in the previous post.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on April 26, 2022, 05:12:13 PM100%. The people having a shitfit about this are people who are OK with private hands and enterprise controlling all communication, information, culture, etc. they just want the representatives of those interests to be nice people with good liberal values. Anticapitalism but only against a few greedy villains not against inequality in any meaningful sense. Markets work fine when I can't see them.

I think services like Twitter should be democratised - possibly nationalised - and quite a few people I've interacted with on Twitter today are receptive to that.

Oh, sorry I forgot. TWITERS IS SHIT AND I WANT TO BAN IT EVEN THOUGH I'M TOO BUSY READING ANGLO-SAXON POETRY TO KNOW WHAT IT IS.

Sebastian Cobb

how do you nationalise a global social network without doing a digital colonialism?

Zetetic

Provide a federation interface?

(Which sounds a bit like I'm trying to make joke, but I'm not.)

Butchers Blind

I think when join you should get a membership card with secret passwords and a furry badge with wobbly eyes.

idunnosomename

Quote from: JamesTC on April 26, 2022, 06:16:58 PMIs Twitter the bird or the cage?

EDIT: as hinted at in the previous post.
do you put bird's names on their cages? Like putting "Fido" over the door of a doghouse

Video Game Fan 2000

"MUSK" refers to Garrison's new found fetish for the smell of cat crotch, not Elon Musk.

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 26, 2022, 06:19:50 PMI think services like Twitter should be democratised - possibly nationalised - and quite a few people I've interacted with on Twitter today are receptive to that.

Oh, sorry I forgot. TWITERS IS SHIT AND I WANT TO BAN IT EVEN THOUGH I'M TOO BUSY READING ANGLO-SAXON POETRY TO KNOW WHAT IT IS.

I think the issue that something that is "democratised" wouldn't look anything like Twitter. A democratised digital commons probably wouldn't look something where a small minority of people produce the majority of the content and most users read passively. Twitter is designed in a way that allows people with more social capital or relative status to leverage it over people with less, which is what makes it so attractive to journos and people in dog-eat-dog media industries. And less useful for just sharing information and having conversations.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 26, 2022, 06:21:10 PMhow do you nationalise a global social network without doing a digital colonialism?

CRYPDA CRONCY

idunnosomename

Hahaha more twitter/musk fetish art from Ben

Let him have buff trump back elon. He needs his daddy back