Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:42:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Festivals 2022

Started by homesickalien, May 06, 2022, 01:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

I thought of you all at Dinosaur Jr. There were a lot of bald or balding men there, including Murph, though Lou Barlow's magnificent head of curls made up for it.

Highlight so far was probably Shellac.

boki

I'm goin' ArcTanGent, anybugger else goin' ArcTanGent?

flotemysost

Which one of you was at Mighty Hoopla yesterday in a GG Allin T-shirt?

Quote from: boki on June 04, 2022, 06:01:10 PMI'm goin' ArcTanGent, anybugger else goin' ArcTanGent?

Never been before and I'm not *massively* familiar with all the lineup, but someone I know will be playing so I'm sorta tempted.

niat

Quote from: boki on June 04, 2022, 06:01:10 PMI'm goin' ArcTanGent, anybugger else goin' ArcTanGent?

Yes I am.

The Mollusk

Quote from: ProvanFan on June 03, 2022, 10:28:09 PMMight have creeped out a cabber last night

Nah mate it was really lovely to meet you! You weren't the first completely unexpected person to waltz up to me at that festival and go "alright Nags", I was charmed!

Primavera was such a blast, I wasn't disappointed with any of the acts I saw. Weather was great, hung out with loads of wonderful pals, and best of all we got to walk about soaking up the congrats as it was our honeymoon and we'd just got married a couple days prior. Half-pissed, sobbing and hugging my wife as Nick Cave encored with "Into My Arms" is absolutely the most emotionally gushing gig moment of my life.

bgmnts

Are the rail strikes fucking up everyone's festival plans this month?

non capisco

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 07, 2022, 09:19:06 PMPrimavera was such a blast, I wasn't disappointed with any of the acts I saw. Weather was great, hung out with loads of wonderful pals, and best of all we got to walk about soaking up the congrats as it was our honeymoon and we'd just got married a couple days prior. Half-pissed, sobbing and hugging my wife as Nick Cave encored with "Into My Arms" is absolutely the most emotionally gushing gig moment of my life.
Also saw a bloke at the bar who was the double of Hans the dog's master.

Kankurette

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 07, 2022, 09:19:06 PMNah mate it was really lovely to meet you! You weren't the first completely unexpected person to waltz up to me at that festival and go "alright Nags", I was charmed!

Primavera was such a blast, I wasn't disappointed with any of the acts I saw. Weather was great, hung out with loads of wonderful pals, and best of all we got to walk about soaking up the congrats as it was our honeymoon and we'd just got married a couple days prior. Half-pissed, sobbing and hugging my wife as Nick Cave encored with "Into My Arms" is absolutely the most emotionally gushing gig moment of my life.
If he'd done Distant Skies, I would have cried like a little baby. Him doing Ship Song was enough. He was definitely the highlight of the whole thing for me, Clive, though Einstürzende Neubauten and Beck deserve a mention as well. I would have liked to have seen Gorillaz but stupid fibromyalgia stopped me.

Congrats on the honeymoon!

The Mollusk

Quote from: Kankurette on June 07, 2022, 10:29:52 PMIf he'd done Distant Skies, I would have cried like a little baby. Him doing Ship Song was enough. He was definitely the highlight of the whole thing for me, Clive, though Einstürzende Neubauten and Beck deserve a mention as well. I would have liked to have seen Gorillaz but stupid fibromyalgia stopped me.

Congrats on the honeymoon!

Thank you! Nice to hear your highlights, I'll write a bit more on mine soon.

Quote from: non capisco on June 07, 2022, 09:39:27 PMAlso saw a bloke at the bar who was the double of Hans the dog's master.

Haha fucking hell I forgot all about that!

ProvanFan

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 07, 2022, 09:19:06 PMNah mate it was really lovely to meet you!

Samesies. That's reassuring!

I'm still here on my last night. Couldn't have asked for better than the Maria "amniotic reverb" Somerville to finish things off.

I don't really love Johnny Depp btw

The Mollusk

Tested positive for covid today, lol. Felt pretty rough in the two days after Primavera but ascribed it to festival lurgy plus having only got about 4-5 hours sleep each night during. Serves me right for going hog wild in the pit for Lightning Bolt I suppose?

boki

Quote from: niat on June 06, 2022, 04:54:10 PMYes I am.
Quote from: flotemysost on June 05, 2022, 07:50:54 PMWhich one of you was at Mighty Hoopla yesterday in a GG Allin T-shirt?

Never been before and I'm not *massively* familiar with all the lineup, but someone I know will be playing so I'm sorta tempted.

ah, if you like your friend's music and can blag your way in, I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Quote from: niat on June 06, 2022, 04:54:10 PMYes I am.

Jolly, jolly good. I'll be the awkward old git. Well, one of them.

ATG quickly became my favourite festival, cos there's such a lovely vibe around it and a load of fine music even though the weather is usually a bit rubbish.

niat

Quote from: boki on June 08, 2022, 11:18:38 PMJolly, jolly good. I'll be the awkward old git. Well, one of them.

ATG quickly became my favourite festival, cos there's such a lovely vibe around it and a load of fine music even though the weather is usually a bit rubbish.

You won't be the only awkward old git as my friend and I are pushing 50 and will both be attending.

The weather has been awful both times I've been but the great music and general good vibes have more than made up for it. It's a shame that some bands have pulled out (Bent Knee, Car Bomb, Intervals etc. were all on my must-see list) but the remaining line-up is still great.

I did the crowdfunder where you pledged £75 to get £115 in beer vouchers, so at least (some of?) my booze is already paid for. I'll probably end up spending more on merch.

homesickalien

How's Glastonbury looking after 3 years away?  Anyone going? Watching the coverage?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

my ticket buying luck ran out in 2015, always just slipped straight through and got tickets no problem. Any time after that's been a reality check getting the same waiting and refreshing as everyone else.

Definitely a year where there would've been so much free space between stuff I wanted to see so I could've just had a bit of a relaxed time of it for once.

I'm not quite at the stage where I want to try and be smuggled in disguised as a tent in a long bag but maybe next year..

So another year watching it on the TV, gutted to be missing Paul McCartney (again) its not like he'll be doing it again bar some small secret set or something. like someone said in another thread whatever his voice is like it'll still be a good show on goodwill alone.

Pranet

I last went in 2013, and the only ticket I could get was a coach ticket. It had been getting harder. Seemed to be more people scamming their way in. People in tents next to me on their phones loudly directing people where to get a dodgy wrist band.

I didn't stop going because I couldn't get a ticket, I think I'd just been enough and I was getting old. Still get a mild twinge this time of year though.

JaDanketies

Glasto looks really good this year for the first time in my life. Never would've even considered it before. It might be because I'm listening to lots of Radio 6 these days.

all I've got a ticket for this year is the Damnation all-dayer

jobotic

Watched some programme about it the other night that I think was few years old. Even when they showed a bit of the year I went and one of the best weekends of my life, I found myself saying "fuck that". 1995 there was Kenny Larkin, Richie Hawtin and, even better, Diblo Dibala. Looking at the rest though - Christ there was some shite. The only thing I think I would have watched on the main stage would have been PJ Harvey but I don't remember that.

Icehaven

They were interviewing some of the crowds queuing to get into Glastonbury on the news this morning and not one of them was under 40 (and I say this as someone who's over 40 myself). Maybe it's just the early arrivals, or that no one younger can afford it anymore. Anyway they'd been there since yesterday morning and they hadn't killed each other and could still move so they're doing better than I would have done.

Pranet

The queuing overnight thing is mental.

JaDanketies

Why are they queueing overnight? What are they queueing for? A good tent position I guess? A drink at the bar? What a waste of time.

Uncle TechTip

The best tent pitches do go pretty quick. You have to avoid setting up at the bottom of a hill.

the science eel

Quote from: homesickalien on June 19, 2022, 09:48:37 PMHow's Glastonbury looking after 3 years away?  Anyone going? Watching the coverage?

I wouldn't go near a festival but I'm looking forward to seeing it all on the telly.

I mean

Paul McCartney
Supergrass
Pet Shop Boys
Jarvis Cocker
Little Simz
The Damned
Billie Eilish
Fleetwood Mac
Amyl and the Sniffers
Cate Le Bon
The Libertines
Diana Ross
Kendrick Lamar
Olivia Rodrigo
Wet Leg
Robert Plant
Crowded House
Sleaford Mods
John Cooper Clarke
Yard Act
Megan Thee Stallion
The Waterboys
Richard Thompson
The Undertones

you know? BRING IT ON

the science eel

(actually not Sleaford Mods cos I fucking hate them)

(oh and The Damned have cancelled)

(and who's Fleetwood Mac these days?)

Pranet

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on June 22, 2022, 09:41:55 AMThe best tent pitches do go pretty quick. You have to avoid setting up at the bottom of a hill.

When I went I was always praying I wouldn't be one of those people pitching their tent right next to a toilet or on a vertical slope.

Pauline Walnuts

They're all next to a toilet by the time I've pitched 'em.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 06, 2022, 01:36:41 PMPrimavera for my honeymoon with loads of great pals in tow, and Supersonic. Extremely hyped for both.

I've got a hundred and FOUR great pals in tow.

Only joking have a great time :-)

Head Gardener

I used to go to Glasto on the Monday, set up tent and wander about offering to help out, best way of getting there was always by motorcycle, car queue = fucking nightmare and now THIS!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-61863063

Pauline Walnuts

Macca seems to enjoy the news;

Head Gardener