Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:56:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RRR (2022)

Started by C_Larence, May 20, 2022, 09:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C_Larence

I'm not going to write a long post about this as I'm not at all an authority on Bollywood, and am currently only 20 minutes into the movie. Here's the synopsis:

QuoteA fictional history of two legendary revolutionaries' journey away from home before they began fighting for their countries in the 1920s

It's been added to Netflix today after a recent theatrical run which received great word of mouth.

The movie starts with this disclaimer, which is how you know it's going to be good.

PlanktonSideburns

Featuring

The Boston Crab

As the gaming pub proprietor

Herbert Ashe

Big fan of a couple of his previous films (Eega / The Fly and both Baahubalis) and was hyped for this after the trailer but having read stuff from (Indian) people suggesting that this has lent into Hindutva Nationalism somewhat (which maybe was in Baahubali tbf), I'm a bit wary of watching it now.

Probably still will as I've read enough good stuff about it from a spectacle point of view, just keep it at arms length a bit. Ho-hum.

(A pedantic wanker adds: I don't think it's Bollywood, as it's Telugu language)

C_Larence

Quote from: Herbert Ashe on May 20, 2022, 10:10:06 PM(A pedantic wanker adds: I don't think it's Bollywood, as it's Telugu language)

Thank you, I had read that but wasn't sure what constitutes a Bollywood movie.

Currently an hour in and loving it, will definitely check out his previous work at some point.   

Crenners

Greg Torso

Finally a Ron Lessard biopic.

Twit 2

Is this about the Ru Rux Ran?

Ferris

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Herbert Ashe on May 20, 2022, 10:10:06 PMBig fan of a couple of his previous films (Eega / The Fly)

I love Eega a ridiculous amount so really want to see RRR, I don't know anything about Hindutva Nationalism but might be questionably evil and just read up on it after watching the film.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Saw this in a theater. Opinion in two words: fucking awesome.

Mister Six

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 21, 2022, 09:04:57 AMIs this about the Ru Rux Ran?

Worst reboot of Scooby Doo ever.

PlanktonSideburns

Fuck me, just saw the first half hour of this and I'm absolutely pumped. Thanks for recommending this one, it's everything I need right now

C_Larence

I ended up finishing it today after taking a break around halfway through last night because it was late. Absolutely incredible, I've never seen anything like it and will seek out anything similar now. The soundtrack is exceptional, and the way it feeds into the action and vice versa makes Western cinema look so stale. The choreography both in the fight and dance scenes blew me away, my eyes were watering from awe at multiple points.

I've since found out that the version on Netflix is a Hindi dub, and I'd love to watch the original Telugu version. Been listening to the soundtrack all day and there's a few differences between the two.

Edit: My only criticism is that all the non-indian actors were shockingly bad.

LemenTheGent

Fun fact: Daisy Edgar-Jones - star of Normal People and now on her way up the Hollywood A-list - was cast as one of the Brits in this early on, but dropped out for unspecified reasons.

Herbert Ashe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 21, 2022, 12:58:27 PMI love Eega a ridiculous amount so really want to see RRR, I don't know anything about Hindutva Nationalism but might be questionably evil and just read up on it after watching the film.

Ah, don't be put off too much. I loved both Baahubalis, despite a dim sense that it was very much a status quo film with respect to casteism. I think maybe think Rajamouli, as ultimately a mainstream maker of popular, commercial (and really good!) films, is only semi-consciously or unconsciously reflecting mood around him. It's like military/cop fetishism in Hollywood or US TV.

Just for context, I think this and this were things I'd read recently that had put this on my mind.

Quote...But unsurprisingly, there is a reluctance to take definite political stances — something that big-budget commercial Telugu films have never done, and perhaps can't afford to do. Rajamouli is looking to transport us to his worlds, after all — not to change ours. To ask whether these worlds are imperfect by design or by oversight is probably futile, except for those who dream of Mahishmati as some halcyon civilizational model for us to emulate in 2022.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

How does it have that title but isn't about pirates?

Josef K

How distracting is the dubbing on this?

Been wanting to see this for weeks but am sorely tempted to shell out for a ZEE5 membership just to watch it in Telugu

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Josef K on May 22, 2022, 11:00:07 PMHow distracting is the dubbing on this?

Been wanting to see this for weeks but am sorely tempted to shell out for a ZEE5 membership just to watch it in Telugu

Not sure, watched it with subs

Josef K

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on May 23, 2022, 07:54:35 AMNot sure, watched it with subs

Yeah but the Netflix version is still dubbed in Hindi instead of the original Telugu isn't it?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Josef K on May 23, 2022, 11:10:23 AMYeah but the Netflix version is still dubbed in Hindi instead of the original Telugu isn't it?

Ah I see! I didn't notice the dubbing, but then I was pretty distracted by the gourgeous topless lads explosions and tigers

The Mollusk

How violent is this film? I'm gagging to watch it but my partner does not enjoy brutality in films at all. Someone getting punched in the face is fine but the trailer has shots of people getting belted with weapons so she's very sceptical.

C_Larence

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 24, 2022, 09:21:02 AMHow violent is this film? I'm gagging to watch it but my partner does not enjoy brutality in films at all. Someone getting punched in the face is fine but the trailer has shots of people getting belted with weapons so she's very sceptical.

It is quite violent, though often cartoonishly so. There's quite a bit of blood, the most gruesome scene is probably one in which a character is repeatedly flogged with a spiked whip.

George White

Quote from: C_Larence on May 21, 2022, 09:51:58 PMEdit: My only criticism is that all the non-indian actors were shockingly bad.

Allison Doody and Ray Stevenson know what they are doing - they're playing grotesque cartoon baddies.

While the others apart from the niece are all American, Australian, British folk living in India, who make a career playing unconvincing Brit caricatures in these kind of films.
The heirs to the mighty Bob Christo, an Australian resembling a steroided-up Leonard Rossiter who did these kind of roles for years.

Ant Farm Keyboard

It's also related to the way they are directed. For instance, white actors in Japanese and Korean productions tend to deliver their lines in a very stilted way. Sure, some of them would be amateurs who happened to live in an army base but they were still asked to say their lines in the conventional way the local audiences expect them to speak. Makes you wonder how artificial we ask actors of other ethnicities to act.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Herbert Ashe on May 22, 2022, 10:59:20 AMAh, don't be put off too much. I loved both Baahubalis, despite a dim sense that it was very much a status quo film with respect to casteism. I think maybe think Rajamouli, as ultimately a mainstream maker of popular, commercial (and really good!) films, is only semi-consciously or unconsciously reflecting mood around him. It's like military/cop fetishism in Hollywood or US TV.

Just for context, I think this and this were things I'd read recently that had put this on my mind.

Thanks for all of that, I can see where the director's coming from, and it'll definitely make watching it easier, I've found a copy with decent subtitles and now just need to find three hours to watch it in!

Small Man Big Horse

And I did, though I watched half of it on Saturday and half on Sunday. I don't think this effected just how much I enjoyed it though as it is an incredible piece of cinema, it looks absolutely beautiful throughout, the big set pieces are breath-taking (
Spoiler alert
the huge animal attack made me laugh out loud with delight over and over again, while I also adored the dance off
[close]
), and even at three hours I was sad when it came to an end.

I do agree with the comments about the English cast, Ray Stevenson and his wife were fine but the rest were a bit dodgy, but eh, it's a minor issue and overall this is something I loved a lot.

Replies From View

Is there a version with real animals rather than CGI?  Surely it'll be in the soundtrack options

Blinder Data

this was a lot of fun. fight scenes were audacious and brilliant. cast were gorgeous and hugely talented - these tollywood types put Hollywood's finest to shame! politics of it were so out there it added to the madness. could've done with more dance scenes - desi naach was the highlight of the film for me.

definitely watch it on a big decent telly.

ProvanFan

I'd love this team to make a film about the troubles