Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:14:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor.

Started by Glebe, May 29, 2022, 04:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Really enjoyed Jedi: Fallen Order, there'd been rumours of a sequel for some time and now this has been unveiled at Star Wars Celebration. Not out till next year mind.

bgmnts

Yeah I really enjoyed the first one, proper video game. That final boss was a fucker though.

Maybe just a touch more freedom and customisation and all those little quality of life changes for this. Would be perfect.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Only on PS5 generation consoles, which is a bit of a pisser.

It was kind of a shock how difficult the first one was. Obviously, it was cribbing from your Dark Soulses (and about 50 other games) but I didn't expect it to copy the difficulty. At least it offered a range of difficulty levels.

Glebe

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 29, 2022, 12:17:32 PMOnly on PS5 generation consoles, which is a bit of a pisser.

Yeah had a feeling it'd be next-gen console only... Fallen Order came bundled with my Xbox One, don't see myself splashing out on an Xbox Series X anytime soon.

oggyraiding

Beat the first game in two days this weekend, been on my backlog for years, but the Survivor announcement pushed me into getting it done. Those lanky security droids are horrible to fight, navigating some of the levels was a nightmare exacerbated by a shit map, and there's no Darth Maul. The combat is very good when you get into the rhythm of things, the story was surprisingly enjoyable, the escape from
Spoiler alert
Darth Vader
[close]
at the end was a real thrill.

It's no KOTOR, but probably up there as one of the best Star Wars games.

kalowski

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 29, 2022, 12:17:32 PMOnly on PS5 generation consoles, which is a bit of a pisser.
Fuck. Can't afford a PS5 so a shame to miss this. Really enjoyed Fallen Order.

Glebe

Quote from: oggyraiding on June 05, 2022, 04:52:03 PMBeat the first game in two days this weekend, been on my backlog for years, but the Survivor announcement pushed me into getting it done. Those lanky security droids are horrible to fight, navigating some of the levels was a nightmare exacerbated by a shit map, and there's no Darth Maul. The combat is very good when you get into the rhythm of things, the story was surprisingly enjoyable, the escape from
Spoiler alert
Darth Vader
[close]
at the end was a real thrill.

It's no KOTOR, but probably up there as one of the best Star Wars games.

Playing it again at the mo and really enjoying it. Ended up switching from Jedi Master to easy mode because the combat was arsing me off a bit. Yeah the map is really annoying and messy.

FalknerHinton

Fallen Order is the only Souls-like game I have ever enjoyed, to the point of 100% it. I'm looking forward to the sequel!

Glebe

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor gets March 2023 release date.

Reckon I won't be playing this anytime soon as an Xbox One owner who doesn't have a gaming PC.

AngryGazelle

New trailer dropping at the game awards. Apparently they're going to show gameplay.

madhair60

Glebe

Does look good, seems a bit samey though.

It's not particularly next gen looking. Why can't it be released on PS4?

Glebe

willbo

he looks like 2000 era Axl Rose to me.

oggyraiding

This is out on Friday.

Looks like EA paid a bunch of gaming influencers to fly to the studio and play a few hours of Survivor. From the several videos I've watched, all seems positive. More customisation, more fighting styles, bigger worlds, apparently the map is less shitty. An evolution, not a revolution.

Also 150GB SSD space, madness.

jimboslice

Is the first game really "Dark Souls" difficult? I bounced off those games, but my mate convinced me to play Fallen Order on Hard and I did manage to get through it. Do I need to try Dark Souls again?

It's certainly comparable, but it mercifully includes difficulty settings (because the developers aren't stupid twats). I started out playing it on normal difficulty and had to keep switching down as I went on, resorting to the lowest setting for the final boss. I have the reaction speed of a sloth on Sunday though.

oggyraiding

I think they're very different, apples and oranges. In terms of speed, Dark Souls is very sluggish compared to Fallen Order. Fallen Order is built around parries, Dark Souls I beat the whole trilogy without ever parrying. Souls has massive enemy variety so you're having to learn new strategies very frequently, Fallen Order not as much variety. Biggest difference is the toolset. If I am stuck on a boss on Fallen Order, I just have to keep trying as I am limited to a few force powers and a lightsaber. In Souls, there's so many different weapons and spells and armours and stuff, so if you're stuck on a boss you can completely change up your tactics. Also NPC/other player summons.

I see Fallen Order as more similar to Sekiro, with the focus on parries and the fast pace.

madhair60

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 25, 2023, 11:26:53 PMIt's certainly comparable, but it mercifully includes difficulty settings (because the developers aren't stupid twats). I started out playing it on normal difficulty and had to keep switching down as I went on, resorting to the lowest setting for the final boss. I have the reaction speed of a sloth on Sunday though.

Curious why you call the developers of Dark Souls stupid twats and then go ok to simply and plainly evidence that you're just shit? You get the games you deserve, my friend.

Because I am wise and open-minded. I don't deny that Dark Souls provides a satisfying challenge for some. For those of us not blessed with reflexes like a cat on cocaine, however, it's just annoying. This could very obviously have been fixed with difficulty settings, but stupid twattiness insists that mustn't happen.

oggyraiding

I think Fallen Order's difficulty settings were really well thought out. It's not just "enemies hit harder and have more health", but also affecting stuff like parry timing so if you're a bit slow you can still stand a chance. Would like to have seen Elden Ring have something similar on account of me being shit at it.

MojoJojo

Quote from: oggyraiding on April 26, 2023, 01:00:26 PMI think Fallen Order's difficulty settings were really well thought out. It's not just "enemies hit harder and have more health", but also affecting stuff like parry timing so if you're a bit slow you can still stand a chance. Would like to have seen Elden Ring have something similar on account of me being shit at it.

The problem with that is, is it means you don't learn the correct timing for when you move up a difficulty level.
I've not actually played, but I heard the main difference in difficulty compared to Souls is you tend to restart to close to where you died so you don't have to repeat long slogs before dying to same tough enemy again.

druss

You really don't need reflexes like a cat to beat Dark Souls, you just need to be willing to die a few times. If you like to always beat bosses on the first few tries then it probably just isn't for you but you definitely don't need quick reflexes for it.

Mobius

Apparently there's a lot of performance issues and stuff with this so might be worth holding off a week or two..

Roxy Robinson

Dark Souls doesn't require much reflex or skill, just patience and knowledge.

Easy mode is walk round holding your shield up, wait for the enemy to hit your shield then hit them back. You can also just walk round them in a circle and back stab them when they attack you and miss. For bosses, hug their arse and press roll when they do an obviously choreographed attack and then hit them once or twice. If you try to attack too much, you'll get caught out. Otherwise, patience is the key. There are some more challenging bosses which require you to control space and keep them in view but most are very doable with a patient approach. The biggest challenge is dealing with multiple enemies but if you can pick them off one/two at a time, you'll be OK.

Dark Souls 2 and 3 and Bloodborne and Sekiro and Elden Ring require some degree of timing but Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are more like Zelda difficulty with a bit of patience.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Mobius on April 29, 2023, 02:36:00 AMApparently there's a lot of performance issues and stuff with this so might be worth holding off a week or two..

Yeah, getting ~30fps with barely 60% utilisation on the GPU and 35% on the CPU. It has overhead, it's just too unoptimised to use it.

I know I should know better than buying "AAA" games on release day, but given how Fallen Order went, I thought I might get away with it this time.

oggyraiding

On PS5 it runs fairly well, 4 or so hours in. Smooth, minimal pop in, but there are the odd FPS drops but they're not major. I'm really enjoying it, though there's no Darth Maul or General Grievous which is frustrating.

Glebe

Not quite live-action Cal Kestis... two Jokers there an' all.

oggyraiding

The blaster + lightsaber combo stance is shite. Blaster ammo is limited, and recovers only if you use melee in the blaster + lightsaber stance, so you can't build up ammo in dual wield stance for example. The only advantage it affords is you can take down trash enemies from afar, but you can do that by reflecting blaster bolts anyway without having to go for watered down melee ability. Very disappointed, as it was the stance I was most looking forward to.

Crossguard stance is fine I guess.